Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 5: It's Gonna Get Hairy

Yes, by all means, come up with a few more backer options and give us an early crack at them. We'll gladly invest more money at this point from the looks of how things are going, I will anyways. Haven't enough people mentioned their sadness at not having pledged higher? I certainly understand it if the rewards have to be different, but I'm eager to give more (just too stingy to do it without at least a DF button to show for it! :P).

Encouraging friends to join the slacker backer initiative would be helpful!

Yes, by all means, come up with a few more backer options and give us an early crack at them. We'll gladly invest more money at this point from the looks of how things are going, I will anyways. Haven't enough people mentioned their sadness at not having pledged higher? I certainly understand it if the rewards have to be different, but I'm eager to give more (just too stingy to do it without at least a DF button to show for it! :P).

How much more money has been generated from Slacker Backers so far?

Hey, if you're really set on giving the project more money, why not become TWO BACKERS? A regular backer, and a slacker one. I mean... I don't think there's any rule against it.

How much more money has been generated from Slacker Backers so far?

At last count (which was a while ago, it was about $40k or something. Which isn't bad, it's maybe an extra person for half the project, but it could be more!

Hey, if you're really set on giving the project more money, why not become TWO BACKERS? A regular backer, and a slacker one. I mean... I don't think there's any rule against it.

Double Fine Double Backer?

Great episode. Good to see the documentary team capture some of the more frustrating moments as well.

I can really relate to some of the frustration on display in this episode - The creative process can be really unpredictable. For me, at least, its seems the good ideas come around when I don't have the time. And when I finally have the time to do something, the imagination runs dry...

Looking forward to the next chapter in this already legendary saga! Will there be any fighting, blood or gore next time around?

This might sound asinine, but to relax some of the budget issues, would Double Fine consider additional funding from interested publishers to fill any budgeting gaps AS LONG AS the agreement still gives Double Fine the same creative freedom with DFA since the beginning of the project? I know the slacker backer option is there and it'd be freaking awesome to see this game 100% funded by fans, but I think it's safe to say we all want you to A) not die due to the stress of making this game and B) have the necessary resources to achieve the vision you have as a team in the best way possible. You have produced so much content and generated interest in the game because of the Kickstarter campaign (and the 2PP documentary) it doesn't seem like a stretch that a publisher would now be interested in helping Double Fine with an adventure game. Or maybe that's crazy talk and retaining any kind of control when dealing with an outside publisher is a pipe dream. Just a random thought, I'm sure the game will be great no matter what path is chosen.

pretty frustrating that we're 2 and a half months out of the loop, especially since this episode was mostly bad news

I wish these episodes would come out quicker

edit: well not exactly bad news, but everyone was worried and stressed the whole episode like things weren't going too well

That actually not quite right. The footage for this episode spans the course of a month. So while some of he earlier stuff is around 2 months old, it does run up to about a month ago. Fear not though, we got things handled!

This is the most important post in this thread. I'm glad we get to see the sausage made, as it were.

This might sound asinine, but to relax some of the budget issues, would Double Fine consider additional funding from interested publishers to fill any budgeting gaps AS LONG AS the agreement still gives Double Fine the same creative freedom with DFA since the beginning of the project? I know the slacker backer option is there and it'd be freaking awesome to see this game 100% funded by fans, but I think it's safe to say we all want you to A) not die due to the stress of making this game and B) have the necessary resources to achieve the vision you have as a team in the best way possible. You have produced so much content and generated interest in the game because of the Kickstarter campaign (and the 2PP documentary) it doesn't seem like a stretch that a publisher would now be interested in helping Double Fine with an adventure game. Or maybe that's crazy talk and retaining any kind of control when dealing with an outside publisher is a pipe dream. Just a random thought, I'm sure the game will be great no matter what path is chosen.

To get a publisher involved now would severely damage the credibility of the crowdsourcing model IMO. REDS is representing the whole of kickstarter in many peoples eyes.

To get a publisher involved now would severely damage the credibility of the crowdsourcing model IMO. REDS is representing the whole of kickstarter in many peoples eyes.

I sort of agree, but is it more important to make the best game possible even if it takes (some) publisher support or more important to retain crowdsourcing credibility? The Kickstarter campaign already proved crowdsourcing worked here because the game went from a simple graphic adventure game to a full scale production. But, the larger a project becomes, the harder it is to gauge the budget and I don't want to see DF sacrifice really great ideas because they don't have someone other than backers to pump more money into the project (if needed). This is all assuming they're sacrificing great ideas to begin with, they've been doing this a long time and know way more about how this works than me (I can only relate from a filmmaking perspective, and we deal with investors and production companies as well as crowdfunding, which is why I even brought it up because I'm curious as to their thoughts considering their unique situation).

Another crazy idea, what if a publisher or even another game production company decided to become a slacker backer and support the project the exact same way as the rest of us? I don't see why they couldn't other than it doesn't make much business sense.

Again, all this might just be asinine to even consider, but not long ago DF never believed they would be working on a classic adventure game supported by fans. I'm behind whatever it is they do.

Hmm, I wonder what get cuts out of the final game =/ I mean, every great game seems to get cut something out either because budget or time ended. I mean, there isn't publisher pushing game to be released, but there is still limited funding and game can't be in production forever...

I sort of agree, but is it more important to make the best game possible even if it takes (some) publisher support or more important to retain crowdsourcing credibility? The Kickstarter campaign already proved crowdsourcing worked here because the game went from a simple graphic adventure game to a full scale production. But, the larger a project becomes, the harder it is to gauge the budget and I don't want to see DF sacrifice really great ideas because they don't have someone other than backers to pump more money into the project (if needed). This is all assuming they're sacrificing great ideas to begin with, they've been doing this a long time and know way more about how this works than me (I can only relate from a filmmaking perspective, and we deal with investors and production companies as well as crowdfunding, which is why I even brought it up because I'm curious as to their thoughts considering their unique situation).

Another crazy idea, what if a publisher or even another game production company decided to become a slacker backer and support the project the exact same way as the rest of us? I don't see why they couldn't other than it doesn't make much business sense.

Again, all this might just be asinine to even consider, but not long ago DF never believed they would be working on a classic adventure game supported by fans. I'm behind whatever it is they do.

Pretty big reason, there. Publisher support comes with conditions. Most will try to get IP. All will want a big cut of the profits. The vast majority will want to be heavily involved in marketing, and will want regular reports on progress and some say in certain aspects. Even Dracogen who is awesome has a certain amount of money to invest, and expects a decent return on that. I expect that Steven Dengler's personal Kickstarter contribution was quite substantial, but if he was acting as a publisher of the project, he'd need to get a good deal.

Now the work begins, a little slow show today, but the sidequest definitely made up for it. ^_^

Cheers guys, keep up the work. Just need to grind through it before you pick up momentum.

The documentary has been so amazing. Such a treat to see the creative process. Seeing the concept artists work really inspired me and so I have pulled out the old sketchpad and started sketching again, after a good few years. Thanks for all the hard work and dedication guys! I'm really excited for more. I think the game is going to be awesome.

Oh god. What software developer doesn't recognise the looks on their faces: 'We've got a hard deadline, a very difficult customer and we're looking down the barrel of a lot of work guys'.

Fantastic episode as always. Interesting to compare Ep 4's tranquillity with Ep 5's fixed nervous stares!

I know this was discussed, but you could still offer those $15 tiers to up their pledge to $30 for the documentary download and soundtracks. That's another $750K potential which would be another $100K if less than 14% were to do that.

I know this was discussed, but you could still offer those $15 tiers to up their pledge to $30 for the documentary download and soundtracks. That's another $750K potential which would be another $100K if less than 14% were to do that.

After seeing the artwork being created I'd certainly consider upping my backing. I only plumped for a 'Steam key and digital download', but would love to bump up to an art book next paycheck... or is it simply too late for that? Probably add too much management overhead.

Pretty big reason, there. Publisher support comes with conditions. Most will try to get IP. All will want a big cut of the profits. The vast majority will want to be heavily involved in marketing, and will want regular reports on progress and some say in certain aspects. Even Dracogen who is awesome has a certain amount of money to invest, and expects a decent return on that. I expect that Steven Dengler's personal Kickstarter contribution was quite substantial, but if he was acting as a publisher of the project, he'd need to get a good deal.

Right, I said it's another crazy idea. It makes no business sense because it leaves a publisher nothing monetary to gain, but sometimes it's not about that. It can be about maintaining a good relationship with DF. Film studios sometimes fund a film they would ordinarily pass on simply because a star or director the studio would like to keep working with wants to do it. Does this happen in the game publishing world? Probably rarely if ever, but that's why it was just an idea. Maybe Double Fine has received contributions like this, maybe they've heard of other game companies receiving similar, but I don't know, which is why I asked.

I know I'd happily pay an extra $5 for standard definition downloads of the series. +$15 for HD is way over budget for me though...

I think this Episode is edited this way to show the depression that follows the end of preproduction and the getting into real videogame developement, but also (I hope) to make it contrast with the next episode, where hopefully the team will be on track and they will have figured something out. I mean, by the looks of it this footage is probably around a moth old, so I really hope the project hasn't failed/been reduced to a minigame since then and if it has, well, it was awesome to see it while it lasted. After all, this is probably one of the down sides of having boundry-less creativity like Tim's.

You have to wonder how much of the budget thoughts are from standard game dev though. You can't really just put more money in part of the process is managing the project and the budget it has got. Things are always cut from a game, the key is making the most out of what you've got and coping with the issues at hand. This kind of behind the scenes stuff is why I'm enjoying the behind the scenes stuff.

I think there are a large number of us who feel we've already gotten well beyond our money's worth already just in these documentary videos. The journey has been amazing so far, and it's only been five episodes.

Consider, for a moment, how much would it have cost to purchase all this content if it had been episodes of a TV show for viewing on Amazon: At $1.99 an episode with 5 main episodes and 5 "side quests" so far, that's already $20 worth of video... and we don't even have the game yet.

You could say, well, cwm9, why not just buy another copy if you want to contribute more? Well, I could. But I'd feel like I was dropping a penny in a well.

On the other hand, if it's needed, if DF were to officially ask all of us to contribute more... well... I know I would, and my guess is plenty of others would too. Frankly, I'd be more than happy to double my investment. That's how wonderful this has been.

If you had different accounts set up to support different aspects of the game, you could even have people putting money directly towards the parts of the game that are important to them. Like music? Fund the music account. Want Bagel to be able to draw more? Fund the Bagel account.

And now on to something concerning.

I have the greatest respect for Tim Schafer and his creative vision, but I saw something this episode that really worries me: His surprising reluctance to let go of the wonderful, but unfunded, idea of having Bagel do the bulk of the artistic work. I understand the artistic desire, but money is tight! I want Bagel to do all that wonderful work; yet, if the game is put in peril, it it worth forcing the issue? No! Of course, months have passed since this was filmed. Was a compromise reached? Is the timetable still in trouble? Tune in for the next exciting episode of...

The mood of Ep. 5 took such an abrupt left turn from the happy-go-lucky excitement and vague apprehension of Episode 4. Suddenly everyone has this sort of, "oh my god what did we bite off," look. The project was funded above and beyond what anyone thought would be possible, but Tim seems to want to stretch the budget and his staff to the breaking point rather than accepting that what he has been handed and working well within those boundaries.

Now I understand why publishers sometimes quash the artistic desires of their artists. If I were funding Tim -- not on a personal lark, but as a business venture -- I'd squash the idea of Bagel doing all that work in a heartbeat. It's a great idea, but absent some miracle process that hasn't yet been presented, it's also a quagmire that could bring down the entire project, and I don't want that to happen. I don't want Adventure to become a dismal failure. A half-Bagle game is infinitely better than a no-Bagel game...

Tim's grip is too tight. He needs to relax it just a hair. It's unquestionably his game, his vision, but he trying to hold too much sand in his hands.

I am not too sure I like this turn of things however Tim and team have produced alot of games before and I trust in their ability to budget. Obviously we are having the simple budget problems that I am sure every game except Call of duty are forced into.

Hey, if it's possible, I'd consider being a Double Fine Double Backer. I'm excited for the game, and I'm enjoying the documentary, but my backing of this project has always been primarily out of love and principle.

Wow, this was a really good episode. I always love seeing more of the concept artwork, and I LOVE the "juicy" on the back of the cake. It makes me think of those ridiculous pants.

I was sort of wondering whether or not the character switch mechanism has been figured out yet?

This is probably a really silly/ horrible idea, but if they have inventories, maybe the girl has a book about the boy, and the boy has a digital book about the girl (maybe he got his at a digital tag sale!), and accessing the books is what allows the character to switch back and forth, like they're each reading about the others' journey. Just a thought, there's probably a better place to post this..

Very interesting stuff and great production by 2 Player, as usual. It will be a tall order for the game to surpass my enjoyment of these videos. :P

As it was my first Kickstarter thing, I stupidly only pledged $15. I would happily up it to $30 to get the downloadable videos, if possible.

Sign in to follow this