Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 5: It's Gonna Get Hairy

Dramatic episode this one! If I've taken anything away from watching this, it's that DF is shooting for something big and ambitious, which I couldn't be happier about. I'm certain the hard work and heartache will pay off.

I think a lot of people are being a bit dramatic about this episode. I'm a software developer, this is just how we roll, don't worry about it. Every software project I've ever worked on has needed to have a compromise on features because of time constraints but that doesn't mean we don't get it done. Besides 2PP WANT you to think it's all going tits up because it wouldn't be exciting otherwise, would it?

Keep up the good work Double Fine and 2 Player Productions!

You've got my full support(which I realize means very little but still...). I'm impressed with what I'm seeing so far.

It's hard seeing you guys have to struggle through the tough decisions but I assume it's just a part of game development. It's work. Hard work.

But I trust you guys. Good luck everyone and when the work is hard, try not to hate your jobs too much. :)

I think a lot of people are being a bit dramatic about this episode. I'm a software developer, this is just how we roll, don't worry about it. Every software project I've ever worked on has needed to have a compromise on features because of time constraints but that doesn't mean we don't get it done. Besides 2PP WANT you to think it's all going tits up because it wouldn't be exciting otherwise, would it?

I totally agree, this episode just reminded me of every production I have ever worked on.

The part where Tim said "they always work out how to do thing twice as efficiently", made my eye twitch, but teams always pull everything together in the end even though there are moments when you can't quite conceive how.

Hope you guys pull through and not just for the game! :)

I'm torn between wanting more content and wanting you guys to just keep at it.

Good ep once again

Encouraging friends to join the slacker backer initiative would be helpful!
I'm a bit tapped out on that front. You already have them (my gamer friends) and it's only $15 a shot. I'm talking about real money from anyone who has backed but wishes they could have backed more. I understand that you need to include a bit of drama and perhaps they have plenty to get done what they need to, but if not or if they'd benefit from another developer or something, I wouldn't mind throwing some real coin in to help. It's practically a travesty in my mind that I didn't give more. I've already gotten my money's worth from watching your videos. As a QA engineer who is familiar with the development life cycle this has been incredible.

Then again, if you (2PP and DF) finish and decide to offer up merchandize based on the game then I can just as well go that route, but it won't feel like I'm assisting other than just rewarding for a job well done. I understand that DF may not wish to look like they're requesting more money. But I think there's been enough backer demand to justify the reason being because we want it. Maybe not, and I can understand that being a shrewd business decision, but I just want to make it clear (as if it weren't already) that the option is out there and many of us are hoping for it.

I have aged a lot since I used to solve all the classic adventure games and I suppose my brain isn't what it used to be. Trying to watch these movies is a very tricky puzzle in its own. Somehow I've managed to watch the previous episodes but now I can't figure out how. Do I have to pay for a Vimeo Plus account to be able to watch now? Isn't being a DFA backer enough anymore?

Chcek out this thread http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6745/ Strange you have problems just now. Did you change anything in your computer?

When you say you can't figure out how, do you mean you can't figure out where? You don't need Vimeo Plus or anything--the video is just embedded in the first post of this thread: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/7673/

If that's not what you mean, could you explain the problem you're having in more detail?

Problem was I couldn't play the video because it said "The creator of this video has not given you permission to embed it on this domain. This is a Vimeo Plus feature.". But Krzysztof's link lead me to the solution. I had to allow http referer for vimeo.com. Now I'm gonna enjoy the video! :D Thanks!

Problem was I couldn't play the video because it said "The creator of this video has not given you permission to embed it on this domain. This is a Vimeo Plus feature.". But Krzysztof's link lead me to the solution. I had to allow http referer for vimeo.com. Now I'm gonna enjoy the video! :D Thanks!

Krzysztof is our backer search engine, you could search it yourself, but he's faster.

I have a question about context.

That meeting near the end seemed to dishearten many and you could definitely feel the frustration and tension in the room. Is this a normal occurrence? I know that crunch times happen and that there's always worries about the budget but this is all just part of the process right? I just don't want the people on the project feel more obligated than when making a normally budgeted game. The money came from a different source that's all. Don't break yourselves over it. If it happens all the time... disregard.

Also thanks for letting me be a part of this experience. I don't contribute much but I read everything (if I can contribute more in any way, I'm here and willing to work for free). I don't think I could have spent this money on anything better.

I have a question about context.

That meeting near the end seemed to dishearten many and you could definitely feel the frustration and tension in the room. Is this a normal occurrence? I know that crunch times happen and that there's always worries about the budget but this is all just part of the process right? I just don't want the people on the project feel more obligated than when making a normally budgeted game. The money came from a different source that's all. Don't break yourselves over it. If it happens all the time... disregard.

Tune in next time.

I'm likely one of those people who was overdramatic, but I think you're right. I think a big thing is the shock of the first four episodes being so optimistic and fun while the fifth has reality finally start to settle in. Though I agree that there's probably some selective editing done for the sake of building a narrative across the series.

Tune in next time.

Gah!! I simultaneously love and hate you.

I feel kind of bad for Lee in this one. Tim's so enthusiastic, it seems like he'd be hard to say no to.

I think what we're seeing here is normal. They are trying to push the maximum out of the current resources and it's important people tell Tim what's possible and what's not. In my experience those who are valued in the industry (any industry) know when to say 'yes' and when to say 'no'. Even more important is the ability to say 'no' to someone who is enthusiastic and has a reputation.

Tune in next time.

If there will be a next time. Bwah ha ha!

Great episode, nice to see implementation has started.

Also interesting to see some real emotions coming out in the process.

I'm really enjoying the doc so far, it's a real journey.

Hey, if you're really set on giving the project more money, why not become TWO BACKERS? A regular backer, and a slacker one. I mean... I don't think there's any rule against it.

I accidentally backed the DF Adventure twice, now I'm TWO BACKERS!

click me for joke origin

Hey, if you're really set on giving the project more money, why not become TWO BACKERS? A regular backer, and a slacker one. I mean... I don't think there's any rule against it.

I accidentally backed the DF Adventure twice, now I'm TWO BACKERS!

click me for joke origin

The beast with two backers.

i have a kind of problematic request. would it be in any way possible to get the opinions of other DF employees on DFA? and i mean honest, without any pretension, because its tim who leads the project. i dont really know whether that would be possible :\. but views of other DFA ppl might indeed be interesting.

i have a kind of problematic request. would it be in any way possible to get the opinions of other DF employees on DFA? and i mean honest, without any pretension, because its tim who leads the project. i dont really know whether that would be possible :\. but views of other DFA ppl might indeed be interesting.

So the opinions of employees outside the REDS team? Interesting concept, we'll keep it in mind. When it comes down to it, most of them know just about as much as the backers do, so their opinions could really only be formed by the series. I could see that being a potential sidequest topic.

Hey Double Fine Crew!!

Totally OK with the schedule slipping 3-6 months (as the board in the last scene indicated) to get it the way you want to build it. If you need to revisit the moa engine to get joints built into it, DO IT. If you need to bond more with Bagely so that he can change the way he produces to be more in line with the idea production system of double fine, DO IT. This is a huge project and it takes a while for a painter to understand he is now in charge of a whole universe, and it takes a while for a computer animation studio to mesh together to understand an artistic vision.

On the money side. DO account for what you are spending, because if you want more we are going to need to understand how with 11x more than you originally asked for, you can have limits placed on your creation. Maybe some details of this new world you are building get flushed out in Double Fine Adventure Game Part 2,3 and 4. Maybe we go into a yearly subscription fee to get the latest puzzle set world. Funding is easy. DON'T cut corners for the sake of an initial schedule.

I am really really excited to see you guys getting down to brass tacks. We all thought Oct 2012 was crazy given that nothing existed, even the understanding that this was a real project until after the end of the fundraiser. It would be one thing if you had a concept, pitched it, had build the outlines of a tool set. But here you are building a movie essentially without even a script. OF COURSE YOUR DEADLINE IS GOING TO SLIP.

George RR Martin is not our bitch! We get it.

We trust you to get it right. And if you need more time than October, that is totally cool.

This is not a business thing. It's a love thing. We love the art you guys and gals create. This crazy thing called a point and click adventure game.

GO FROLIC. BE PRODUCTIVE. BE PASSIONATE.

LAVISH YOURSELVES INTO THIS FANTASTIC NEW CREATION!!

After all you are giving us documentary updates, so we can see how you do it, and how things are coming along.

So the opinions of employees outside the REDS team? Interesting concept, we'll keep it in mind. When it comes down to it, most of them know just about as much as the backers do, so their opinions could really only be formed by the series. I could see that being a potential sidequest topic.

lol, ive messed up that post horribly language-wise. probably because i was working on the subtitles just now. i suppose that language-oriented parts of my brain got a little confused after using it in the opposite direction. sorry.

yes, i mean people from DF that are outside the REDS team. what i had in mind is to ask them stuff like: "tim has just borrowed a couple of people from your project. how did it work out?" or "ok, so isnt paul, asif a and the rest of the crew a bit in your way, when youre trying to work on your own project?" :PPP "have you thought of coming to tim with a pitch for a kickstarter yourself, or with your colleagues?", "how do you like the way the interaction with the backers work? would that be something youd like for your own project, or do you prefer the standard way, in which noone constantly looms above your head?"

lol, ive messed up that post horribly language-wise. probably because i was working on the subtitles just now. i suppose that language-oriented parts of my brain got a little confused after using it in the opposite direction. sorry.

yes, i mean people from DF that are outside the REDS team. what i had in mind is to ask them stuff like: "tim has just borrowed a couple of people from your project. how did it work out?" or "ok, so isnt paul, asif a and the rest of the crew a bit in your way, when youre trying to work on your own project?" :PPP "have you thought of coming to tim with a pitch for a kickstarter yourself, or with your colleagues?", "how do you like the way the interaction with the backers work? would that be something youd like for your own project, or do you prefer the standard way, in which noone constantly looms above your head?"

Great suggestions, i like it!

good, im looking forward to it, if it works out well. i guess it would be a good idea just to ask them informally, at first, to see, whether theyd be interested and the answers were any good.

good, im looking forward to it, if it works out well. i guess it would be a good idea just to ask them informally, at first, to see, whether theyd be interested and the answers were any good.

I think it could make for a great sidequest topic, but our scope for those is narrow for the time being. Once we're finished up with the Minecraft project (October) we'll have the resources to pursue more ambitious sidequests beyond let's play and profile videos.

Watching Tim's slow decent into madness is going to be great fun.

But the rise from the ashes will be even better.

I think it could make for a great sidequest topic, but our scope for those is narrow for the time being. Once we're finished up with the Minecraft project (October) we'll have the resources to pursue more ambitious sidequests beyond let's play and profile videos.

nice, i bet youre looking forward to shipping it :). are you crunching (nachos) already? anyways, good luck with it.

Sign in to follow this