Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 5: It's Gonna Get Hairy

Fantastic episode. I'm very thankful to the Double Fine guys for allowing us to see the warts and all process of game development, even the not so fun bits.

Thanks for the episode. It is very interesting to see how everything comes together, and how the team reacts as they slowly realize the amount of work to be done. I wouldn't mind if the game needed to be delayed a little bit, but I'm happy to see that they are trying to be on schedule, even if that means that some hard decisions need to be made... By the way, very good filming job :)

Watching Tim's slow decent into madness is going to be great fun.

But the rise from the ashes will be even better.

The rise from the ashes is going to be "it launched. Thank God. Time to sleep".

Great episode! It was awesome to see the scene editor that they created above the moia framework.

The artists seemed very anxious and worried. The composer looks troubled.

Greg is sweating out of nervousness and Tim is a step before catatonic schizophrenia.

In this chaotic situation the COOLEST guy is Oliver.... :) He ain't afraid of no challenge. There is no code he can't tame!

I'm glad to see a bit more realism come into this episode. Not that I don't mind the more cherry episodes like The Art Jam but this is getting more into the making of sausage where we start to see issues come up. I hope once this is all finished the people who worked on this do a marathon of the episodes just to maybe have a good laugh about all these worries that started cropping up.

This was a very insightful episode. I could completely relate to the stress, as I have been in those mid-project situations at my workplace. Best of luck during production DF :)

Great episode! It was awesome to see the scene editor that they created above the moia framework.

Greg is sweating out of nervousness and Tim is a step before catatonic schizophrenia.

In this chaotic situation the COOLEST guy is Oliver.... :) He ain't afraid of no challenge. There is no code he can't tame!

Just wait until in-game bugs start to show up few days before final release...!!! great episode but I would like to see more animation stuff if it is possible. Is it Ray the only guy doing the animation in the whole game???

Regards

Pablo

I love everything about this episode! Beautifully shot and edited - perfect amount of tension and angst and just enough teaser images to keep us begging for more!

I myself am stressing about delays and budget after watching this episode... very effective! I'm anxious to see it all come together.

I regret nothing about this sausage. Sausage away, please.

I do like the change between the previous episodes and this one. It's like the transition is from the more process oriented shiny-idea stage to the grounded in reality production stage. And it's good for people to see that it's not smooth sailing all the way. I think a lot of students who want to go into game production aren't prepared for the potential troubles that come with it. It's the same for would-be writers and novelists, and the secrecy of the game industry makes what working there is actually like even less accessible. That's why I like this episode the best (though I do feel like we should be voting someone off the island soon).

After all, in the end no one cares if a game was easy or difficult to make, just whether it was good or bad.

I must say that the documentaries so far have been well worth my pledge on their own. I like the contents and the fairly high "production values". My only request would be that you give the person (the one operating the camera, I guess?) asking questions in the sidequests a mic :).

From working in games I get the "oh-how-on-earth-are-we-going-to-get-_all_-_this_-done-on-time"-feeling in my stomach from just looking at their faces. A feeling not entirely different from when you realize you left your bag on the train. I guess it's the only way we know how to do interesting games, but I'm quite sure I would remember a project for a "very reasonable production schedule" :).

I bet Peter Chan went for a nice long walk on his island after that phone call.

This made me laugh out loud! Well done, BobbyB...

I'm glad to see a bit more realism come into this episode. Not that I don't mind the more cherry episodes like The Art Jam but this is getting more into the making of sausage where we start to see issues come up. I hope once this is all finished the people who worked on this do a marathon of the episodes just to maybe have a good laugh about all these worries that started cropping up.

I get what you're saying but I'm not sure it's more realism. Each episode is telling a story, and that story has an over-all arc and theme. Previously these were largely positive because that's usually the prevalent mood at the start of a project anyway - anything's possible. But of course there were problems, too. But now it's getting into the details and with that comes the realisation that not everything is possible, and that's what this episode is about. But there were probably good times, too, they just weren't as focused on this time out. You can't tell the whole story in 20 minutes (that's what the sidequests and forums are for), so instead what you have to do is figure out a good way of framing the story that isn't unrealistic, but probably does leave a lot of stuff out.

I get what you're saying but I'm not sure it's more realism. Each episode is telling a story, and that story has an over-all arc and theme. Previously these were largely positive because that's usually the prevalent mood at the start of a project anyway - anything's possible. But of course there were problems, too. But now it's getting into the details and with that comes the realisation that not everything is possible, and that's what this episode is about. But there were probably good times, too, they just weren't as focused on this time out. You can't tell the whole story in 20 minutes (that's what the sidequests and forums are for), so instead what you have to do is figure out a good way of framing the story that isn't unrealistic, but probably does leave a lot of stuff out.

So this episode about the plans-vs-time/resources problem of game development is filtered through its own plans-vs-time/resources problem?!

I feel like we're on the verge of going meta.

Just wait until in-game bugs start to show up few days before final release...!!!

Bugs are like scars of War. You are no man without them.

Oliver as a true hero will proudly demonstrate his scars like medals of this war.

Oh, I got it. Greg is the villain in this movie.

Seriously now: I'm liking the documentary style, really, I just think it'd cool to have some "crazier" shots, like a camera that flies through the office or a

shot. Do not take this as a criticism, I do not know if you are able to do these things, take only as something to be considered if you can.

Tim really has a crush on Bagel's art. Bagel is a great artist and has excellent ideas but the problem for featuring his art prominently is Peter Chan's beautiful work is hidden. I'd like to see a new Double Fine Adventure 2 have Peter Chan's stuff front and center.

Wow, great episode but its so scary! We've just got some funding to start developing our own P&C adventure game (sorry sneaky plug http://www.facebook.com/ShipAntics please "like" our page and wish us luck!) This episode has really shown how much hard work is ahead of us but no going back now GULP!!!

Can't wait for the next episode!!!

This is unrelated to the video, but I took a look at your facebook page and your game looks awesome so far! :D

@lemon liner: Bagel's art is awesome! Hop on over to his comic and take a look- you'll love it!

Here start from this strip: http://www.doublefine.com/comics/Nathan_S/nathan_s_-_31/

There's plenty of awesome artists at DF and hopefully they'll all get a chance to have their art style selected for a game. Plus, the art from Peter, Scott, and Lee are all going to be incorporated as well. This is sort of a dream team of great artists on this one game! Everyone should be excited about this!

Wow, great episode but its so scary! We've just got some funding to start developing our own P&C adventure game (sorry sneaky plug http://www.facebook.com/ShipAntics please "like" our page and wish us luck!) This episode has really shown how much hard work is ahead of us but no going back now GULP!!!

Can't wait for the next episode!!!

This is unrelated to the video, but I took a look at your facebook page and your game looks awesome so far! :D

It DOES look awesome, really.

@lemon liner: Bagel's art is awesome! Hop on over to his comic and take a look- you'll love it!

Here start from this strip: http://www.doublefine.com/comics/Nathan_S/nathan_s_-_31/

There's plenty of awesome artists at DF and hopefully they'll all get a chance to have their art style selected for a game. Plus, the art from Peter, Scott, and Lee are all going to be incorporated as well. This is sort of a dream team of great artists on this one game! Everyone should be excited about this!

I agree, it is good work. But what I'm getting at is the finished project is going to reflect Bagel's style. It is understandable to make something cohesive, you need to blend it together like this. What I'm getting at is I'd like to see the next project showcase Peter Chan's style.

I love the fact that we argue about the artists.

It is like arguing about whether Bugatti Veyron is better than Hennessey Venom! They are, i don't know, like equally....AWESOME!

I don't know about the actual process and artists involved but the final outcome (the actual adventure) will have unique graphics. And that's special about it. If they used a "safe" formula (Monkey Island 3 type graphics) it would look like a number of copy-cat adventures that came after that.

That's why i believe DF was more inspired than the Leisure Suit Larry Remake team, in terms of graphics.

I love the fact that we argue about the artists.

It is like arguing about whether Bugatti Veyron is better than Hennessey Venom! They are, i don't know, like equally....AWESOME!

I don't know about the actual process and artists involved but the final outcome (the actual adventure) will have unique graphics. And that's special about it. If they used a "safe" formula (Monkey Island 3 type graphics) it would look like a number of copy-cat adventures that came after that.

That's why i believe DF was more inspired than the Leisure Suit Larry Remake team, in terms of graphics.

I agree that they shouldn't try to be 'safe', they never did in the old days and so I wouldn't expect them to now. Bold design choices. Even Monkey 3 wasn't safe for the time. It was more traditionally cartoony, but it was also very different to how a monkey island game had looked before, so they were taking a pretty big risk with how it would be received (and, indeed, some still don't like it to this day)

I guess 'they' in the above paragraph is a sort of amorphous blob of classic adventure game makers.

Sign in to follow this