Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 5: It's Gonna Get Hairy

Oh, I got it. Greg is the villain in this movie.

Phew, it's not me anymore!

Only the true villain would say such a thing!

Oh, I got it. Greg is the villain in this movie.

Phew, it's not me anymore!

Only the true villain would say such a thing!

Remo just threw Greg under the bus! What treachery!

Great episode! ... that's a whole lot of worried Double Fine staff in there though. Hope it all works out and if you run out of man hours, why not do a bit of crowd sourcing and call upon some of the backers and fans? Methinks there's plenty of talented people out there that would give a kidney and then some to help out with this game.

I say if time is an issue, take more time to make it great! I for one don't mind waiting longer if it means a better game.

Keep up the great work guys and gals.

I say if time is an issue, take more time to make it great! I for one don't mind waiting longer if it means a better game.

Time is money. Literally. And we don't have more money.

Yes, this exactly. Oftentimes a movie studio (or in this case, a game publisher) is referred to as "the bank". It's a place where a game studio can financially fall back on. But here with this project, we're the bank. Double Fine can only work as long as they have the money given to them by us. Which is awesome and kinda frightening.

Yes, this exactly. Oftentimes a movie studio (or in this case, a game publisher) is referred to as "the bank". It's a place where a game studio can financially fall back on. But here with this project, we're the bank. Double Fine can only work as long as they have the money given to them by us. Which is awesome and kinda frightening.

Even if the game never comes out, i already feel completely satisfied with the current updates and videos, especially the programming updates. Hell, even the "Running" animation of the Lumberjack by itself was enough for my backing!

I'm liking this. The documentary is starting to enter what is sure to be its lengthy dark middle chapter.

Real talk, though, I do appreciate that the doc isn't shying away from the lows that come with the highs of video game design and production.

Probably commenting way too late to get noticed on this vid, but I agree with tim here. It's all well and good having Bagel create all the final artwork for the game, but without him contributing more crazy design ideas at the concept level, it's just going to be an exceptionally pretty game. Plenty of games rely on a fancy art style to get by, making this totally unoriginal.

I for one would love to see more of the weirder ideas in Bagel's art coming through, including women with mouths in the backs of their heads, tiny people on the tables of giants, and wig mountains (I love the wig mountain). It should be easy enough for someone to recreate his painting style, and help out with the textures for the game, but it's the unique Bagel concepts that would make the game special.

True, but I believe many more people (non-backers) will buy the game once it's released which will help out.

I originally wanted to comment that I didn't like how this episode was assembled. It was a bit hard to ferret out what was going on in every scene I guess. I like that Tim took the time to take a step back on the smurfs tone going on in that bit of art. Seeing moments where these guys get to reevaluate everything is great.

I'm amazed by how the width of the whiteboard divided by the number of months of production produces rows whose width is perfectly divided by the post-it note's width, so that they fit perfectly. Your planning skills are off the charts!

I wish my life was soundtracked like the DoubleFine documentaries... it makes life seem so exciting, yet manageable

Keep up the good work, all! Enjoying the documentaries very much

This was brilliant to watch. All of these vids have been fantastic in their own way, just a joy to watch. Partly because it reaffirms all my opinions about how games should be made and restores my faith in the notion that some of the talking heads in our industry have thoughts inside them. You know, interesting thoughts that are entertaining, that stand up well enough that the rest of the team of developers don't need to polish up their turd ideas in a courageous attempt to make them shine like gold!

This is important to me. At most of the games companies I have worked, it's all been about polishing turds and propping up egos.

These videos generate so much positive karma for DF and display a great number of helpful pointers for other companies to learn from. I think they are a great resource and I'm already working out how best to share some key moments from some of them in a non confrontational manner in the hopes that we adopt some of the more common sense practices demonstrated in these vids.

Things like the big board for concept art displayed for all, another board for story. Anyone can just walk into that room, on to that project, look at those boards, listen to someone talk and they will 'get it'. It sounds simple but so few companies do these, many see this as a practice that encourages too many people to have opinions and ideas of their own, information of this can often be jealously guarded by a select few who control things by keeping it all 'in their head'. The reality is that none of us are smart enough to keep it all in our head, so the boards help. They keep it straight for those putting stuff up there and they communicate better than anyone throwing around buzzwords and broad terms to share their vision.

So it's just great to see this stuff being shared. Many of us share things in the art communities , tips, tricks, workflows and maybe even some insider information or hindsight summing up of what we did right or wrong. This stuff helps others so much and we all learn from each other and grow closer to each other and generate respect for ourselves and others by doing so. The games industry, in general, never really shares things though and its a shame we waste so much time being fake when we advertise collectors editions having 'the making of' dvd extras to partly justify the additional price.

I hope these videos turn the tide a little. Especially with this latest video being so open about the 'thing we must never talk about'. Namely, that sometimes this stuff is very stressful and theres a point we all reach when we realize we are behind; that what is in front of us is huge, and it is scary... and we might all be responsible for creating that situation. That whole 'not knowing if we can do it' part of a creative work is terrifying, its great to see that truth being shared, its much more inspiring than bravado.

This game is already a success based purely on the industry wide worth of these documentary series of videos.

So thanks, I really appreciate that you folks are brave enough or just open enough to share this stuff.

I've just watched videos 2 to 5. They are brilliant. I'm getting a real sense of what it takes to produce a game like this. I love the concept of the story. The more I think about it the more intriguing it gets. I also love the art style. It's almost a more 'arty' windwaker look (which is fantastic.) You may (I hope not) get to windwakeresque backlash but stick with it. I'm realising that one of Tim's secret powers is his visual sense. Now I look back on all the games Double fine has created I can see how unique, creative and powerful all the art is. Part of this, of course, is the superb art team for each game but you don't hit the nail on the head so well every time without the guy in charge having great taste when it comes to the visual elements of a game.

Since they had a two sided story with girl and boy, maybe they should have split the artwork workload between bagel and chan, one doing the girl's story and the other the boy's.

That way there'd be two artists to do the work instead of one. That's a pretty massive improvement, and could have fit really well into the story.

Probably too late now...

I really enjoy the kind of "buildup" to the end theme in each episodes. It appears to be your signature style and it's been making me anticipate each coming episode so much more.

Anyway, I really hope there's some good news at the end of the tunnel, because I really thought this episode was incredibly "down-to-earth" and "holy shit how can we do this"-like. Let's wish for some better news very soon!

Again a really insightful episode! With Peter McConnell talking about potential musical themes, the game was almost coming alive for me already. Although Tim said in episode 4 that art is the defining feature of adventure games, music has always been important for me to tie it all together. Something "2001"-like for the space scenes would be awesome. I would love to hear McConnell's take on Ligeti....;-)

For some reason I'm finding it interesting that you're primarily focussing on the puzzles as stages of development. It totally makes sense, but I would have thought that you would refer to them as story points or scenes. I wonder whether all developers have that same approach, though. For instance, playing The Longest Journey sometimes felt as if the developers had first created the world, characters, story and (way too much) dialogue and then afterwards thought of puzzles to add a gameplay-element. In the best adventure games these elements all blend together, I think.

Curious how the sacrifice puzzle is going to look in the final game!

I'm liking this. The documentary is starting to enter what is sure to be its lengthy dark middle chapter.

Real talk, though, I do appreciate that the doc isn't shying away from the lows that come with the highs of video game design and production.

Yeah, this documentary really is the Anti-Indie Game: The Movie, which should not be taken seriously by anyone hoping to go into game development. That film caters to the idea that "video games are not a business"/"It's all about the art"/"indie gamers are the only good guys ever to exist ever". It's not a documentary about making video games, it's a documentary about naive idealism in a very technically difficult and money-run industry.

True, but I believe many more people (non-backers) will buy the game once it's released which will help out.

That's not how it works.

How is Future Money going to help out the present situation? Unless you are implying that they should go into debt and hope that future pre-orders cover it.

There are so many excellent artists here at Double Fine that it seems silly not to make high-quality reproductions of their work available publicly. We have corrected that bizarre oversight...

\o/ YAY!!!! <3

... I would love to hear McConnell's take on Ligeti....;-)

mmmm, sounds tasty! Nowadays I don't think not having an orchestra to work with is too limiting as far as what sound one can conjure up.. A big sound could be achieved in lots of ways such as incorporating samples of a live orchestra (and there are many rather nice and relatively inexpensive sample libraries out there) within the arrangement. It needn't even be the 'virtual instrument' kind - I'm reminded of Michael Land's score for The Dig, which sampled some Wagner to great effect, giving it a real sense of cinematic awe. It's not really creatively limiting to use samples as long as they are suitably manipulated into a unique musical context. Samples aside, some pretty huge sounds can be achieved by stacking layers of a single instrument as well.

I'm a huge fan of orchestration, but what we've heard about the boy's ship environment conjures ideas of a more synthetic type for me... warm ambient synths and so on. Maybe the music-box vibe too could be captured with that kind of approach. Radiohead - Kid A (the track) comes to mind, and lots of moody ambient music. Anyway, just some thoughts, these videos always get my imagination fired up! I HUGELY anticipate hearing McConnell's score, and the game in general is looking like it's locked on a trajectory to awesome.

Great episode, as usual.

About the soundtrack, something I'd really like to see is music starting very different for both worlds, but then make it merge slowly into more similar tunes as the game progresses, or as actions have certain consequences in the other world.

That would be really awesome!

Also, regarding music, for some reason the soundtrack to the original Tron comes to mind when thinking about the Boy segments of the game. The 80's science fiction vibe.

Sign in to follow this