Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Deathbob

The noob who sucks at Iron Brigade

Hello! I am said noob and welcome to my thread! This is for all the [del]Trenched[/del] Iron Brigade noobs who suck at the game!

But enough talk...*clears throat* let's talk.

I myself am using a Selker IV with a Indirect MG and some wierd tube thing with the advanced mine layer, Massive MG, Massive Sniper, and everybody's favorite... the Massive Flak MG.

I am, however, having problems with the later waves in Hospial Survival (I spend most of my time there) with Jacobs/Knobs and Jacobs/BTs after wave 21 which is my record.

Also...I havent beaten Martian Bear...:(

And could somebody please help me with all the lingo? What the heck is an Archie? HOW DO I DEFEND MORE PLACE THAN ONE? (My profile does not have correct permissions to access Xbox Live play =b)

Level up and get martian bear weapons, then focus on hospital. After you get the piercing sniper turrets, massive mine layers, super shredder machine gun turrets, fiesta and hole puncher shotguns....things should be a lot easier. I've heard of ppl solo'ing hospital w/ a selker relying on power and not using dampening generators and picking up the scrap (w/ martian bear weapons). I've solo'd all 3 maps w/ a selker I, thats not exactly the same, considering I hate not having dampeners on the field...but I couldn't have done it w/out martian bear weapons, which is the real point I'm trying to make. Others have beaten hospital w/ the weapons from hospital survival/original game weapons, but its a heck of a lot harder.

Archie is an anti-air turret that shoots rockets, btw....theres also an archie gun for your trench.....but it sux.

Thanks JediJedah! I'm gonna try out those strategies. Martian Bear is so hard.... :(

Not exactly a bad thing though... so I just level grind through the place? sounds easyish enough.

This is a video from a while back featuring the Martian Bear Swamp. The player is Confury and by watching him play I got a tiny bit better. He also has videos for pre-DLC IB 100% base health for the story missions.

If you're trying to level up, grind survival....plus its good practice. If you're looking for loot, do the missions over n' over...boss missions are the quickest...or when you get to cathedral in the martian bear missions you could milk the heck out of it if you can't find a particular martian weapon. You could spend 2 hours goofing around, but you'll get that last perforator out of the 20 boxes you get (crane, mines/barrels, shredders/flak is needed for this..don't use snipers, they shoot the boss). Personally, I lol my face off using barrels....the magnetic mines that vlad wings out, either 2nd or 3rd health bar of vlad, make the barrels swirl in a massive tornado and cause wicked explosions of 30 barrels! (prolly more than that, but who's counting) You don't need dampeners that much on missions....but you'll be glad you have them in survival...especially when solo and you don't have anyone to depend on to watch a particular path whilst you're doing something else on the other side of the map. There are certain spots on each map where dampening generators (and other turrets in most cases, but then they usually will not function)...like on hospital...going down long path, the cluster of rocks on the left right after the bend (you can see the long path conduit from that spot)....if you angle properly, you can sneak a dampener in that groove (gotta do it just right, you can get it in there not deep enough and it gets broken by knobs after 2nd upgrade) and nothing breaks it....theres also rocks you can put dampeners inside of going down long path after the bend. On short path, dampeners go behind those rocks. On the bridge, I like to put sniper turrets on the left going all the way down, and on the right I like to put 1 dampener and 3 shredders. Dampening generator fields cancel out if the fields touch, so if you got 2 of them close together, nothing gets slowed down...3 shredders tight together is the minimum distance where the fields don't touch....1,3,1,3,1,3....and at least 3 collection pods on the bridge. Also, that big rock on the right after the bridge part near the spawn, bursts don't really break a dampener often if you stick one behind it. The selker is fun for building heavy turrets, but when it comes to solo on survival...nothing compares to the honeychurch.

Shopping Checklist

[ ] Honeychurch V

[ ] Two Muerta Fiestas (I think you get them by reaching wave 5 on Settlement?...could be wrong)

[ ] Speedy Biped Legs

[ ] Pierce Sniper Emplacement

[ ] Super Shredder Machine Gun Emplacement

[ ] Dampener III

[ ] Impeccable Collector

This setup is unquestionably the best possible solo setup in Iron Brigade. It gives you maximum possible engineer trench damage, air defense, jacob defense, knob defense, the ability to slow tubes when necessary, extra scrap generation, and the ability to collect that scrap.

Instead of just grinding hospital or trying to finish the game, focus on completing this checklist. Odds are, you'll level up enough and beat the game in the process.

For the campaign, don't rely very heavily on emplacements. Build them where necessary, but really focus on remembering wave patterns make a habit out of shooting everything you can with your trench weapons. The emplacements should supplement your defense, but you should focus on trying to do most of the damage yourself.

For survival, you should do the opposite. Focus on killing things with your trench for the first 5-10 waves (while scattering a few emplacements here and there), but then you really need to focus on emplacements from then on until you reach wave 100.

My actual Hospital record is wave 20, while I have not beaten settlement in campaign (That's where I'm stuck) Should I change to an assault chassis? Maybe a standard?

If one should focus on the trench in campaign, that seems the way to go. (I should keep a sniper turret and a repair crane for cathys and Volt Droppers.)

The woodruff is a pretty well rounded trench. For settlement you could double up on sniper rifles and you should be fine. Definitely watch confury's videos on youtube though (linked earlier in the thread). They're a great example of what to do and when to do it.

I think the woodruff works best on missions....you get variety in emplacements and your trench has some punch to its weapons. Don't bother with a crane when you're solo...you can always just mash to get a jump....that blue would be much more effective w/ a dampener, which is always your priority when it comes to blue emplacements in survival. Try your best to be aware of your surroundings and watch your back during cathy/blitzer waves. I play in a selker I w/out snipers on swamp solo lately and I get paranoid when things get hectic. One blitzer smashes into me and I'm down, whilst the rest of the pack smashes into blue...abandon mission....again...

I got some Xbox Live gold this week. Anyone wanna party up on the weekends?

pm me on here if you need help with survival/missions. im in australia, so we'll have to work out the time zones and such.

Like the OP, I too am a newbie to Iron Brigade.

I've completed the original game and Martian Bear, so I have many nice things available to play with.

Best wave on Survival so far......

Hospital -- 30

Swamp -- 51 (it was a total miracle run, I've tried to beat it but haven't even come close)

Settlement -- can't remember right now, around 20ish.

Any tips as to where to put turrets so the darn knobs can't get at them would be greatly appreciated.

I know that the hill behind the hospital is a good place, you can squeeze a sniper and TWO machine guns up there if you do it right and also the wall down the left hand path is good for turrets. Lastly, the small hill on the right of the hospital is 'safe'.... but not from bursters.

Swamp has quite a few good places, the wall in the center will support two sniper turrets, the tall building across from 'green' is safe, there is another building near that that is safe too, along with the gas tanks on the curved ramp leading up to the 'blue', you can fit 3 along there if you get it right. Also the wall across from the gas tanks is a good place and there is a building where you place a turret if you hold your face right.

Settlement has.... not a lot, one small ledge near the cannon piece in the water, 'orange' I think it is. Other than that, not a heck of a lot.

Didi I miss anything?

Edit: yep I missed a bunch on Hospital. I've discovered that there are quite a number of rocks that you can put turrets on, but you have to get it just right for it to happen.

Interesting.

I never even thought about the mushrooms for placing turrets.

I've managed to get to level 33 on Hospital.

I'm finding that the main thing that is killing me is.... Knobs with Jacobs protection.

I've been putting machine guns on the two corners of the center hill closest to the hospital, they provide good coverage against Knobs.

Snipers get placed just about everywhere else that I can stick them where the knobs can't get to them, then I go mad with upgrading.

I wish the turrets would target Jacobs, I am *so* tired of them just marching right past my turrets while the turrets play dead.

Ain't that the one thing all IB players yell!

Just make sure to run fiestas or similar to assist in taking those pains in the arse down! :3

Ain't that the one thing all IB players yell!

Just make sure to run fiestas or similar to assist in taking those pains in the arse down! :3

I've been running an Honeychurch chassis with an Albert and fast reload legs.

It does pretty well for the most part, but there are situations where I just don't have enough firepower..... or the reload doesn't happen fast enough.

Of course the situations in question mostly involve Jacobs, but you get that.

I got to level 43 on Hospital survival today.... SOLO, but those darn Jacobs ganged up on me and took out the hospital.

After about level 20 all I was doing was killing Jacobs, I pretty much had everything else covered, the range and pierce on the Albert was great.

I spent a lot of time sitting on the ledge behind the hospital sniping the Jacobs as they came out and the rest of the time around the front of the hospital doing the same at bridge entrance.

This worked well until the Jacobs started to take 3 shots each to kill, then I was wishing the Albert had a bigger magazine.

Could double the dps and give yourself some maneuverability by trading legs with sprint+ and albert with two fiesta.

Reload on Albert gives it a touch over one fiesta's worth of DPS but that's not the reason for my argument against the build-

It's the idea of locking down during a solo run!

DEATH SENTENCE! :D

If anything I'd aim at ridding yourself of the legs before I complained on much else (though my 'bottom line' mentality makes me want to beg ya for dual fiestas. Isn't my fault the game has a 'best weapon', it's my fault that I care about it).

Could double the dps and give yourself some maneuverability by trading legs with sprint+ and albert with two fiesta.

Reload on Albert gives it a touch over one fiesta's worth of DPS but that's not the reason for my argument against the build-

If anything I'd aim at ridding yourself of the legs before I complained on much else (though my 'bottom line' mentality makes me want to beg ya for dual fiestas. Isn't my fault the game has a 'best weapon', it's my fault that I care about it).

Yup, done that, I lost the reload legs for sprinters, still have the Albert, the pierce is a life saver, not to mention the range.

Settlement is still proving to be problematic, level 27 is where I seem to be 'stuck' for the moment.

It's too bad there isn't a mid range weapon with the same hitting power as the sniper turrets, the range on the sniper turrets is nice, but it also has the effect of them not really protecting the area they are supposed to.

Maybe Snipers at either end and machine guns (shredders) in the middle would balance things out.

On the subject of Jacobs, depending on how big the Tube is they are guarding, Snipe turrets either need to be right on ground level (Blitze, Tommy, Resister) or as far off ground level as possible (Bertha, Willie, Amp, Arty).

Off the ground the Snipers will shoot downwards and with a bit of luck the pierce will take out the Jacobs.

This works well with the snipers placed on the ledge behind the Hospital.

At ground level it's the same thing, punch through the Tubes in front and (hopefully) kill the Jacobs.

The game is annoying...... but it has that 'just one more try' thing going for it. heh

Yup, done that, I lost the reload legs for sprinters, still have the Albert, the pierce is a life saver, not to mention the range.

Settlement is still proving to be problematic, level 27 is where I seem to be 'stuck' for the moment.

It's too bad there isn't a mid range weapon with the same hitting power as the sniper turrets, the range on the sniper turrets is nice, but it also has the effect of them not really protecting the area they are supposed to.

Maybe Snipers at either end and machine guns (shredders) in the middle would balance things out.

On the subject of Jacobs, depending on how big the Tube is they are guarding, Snipe turrets either need to be right on ground level (Blitze, Tommy, Resister) or as far off ground level as possible (Bertha, Willie, Amp, Arty).

Off the ground the Snipers will shoot downwards and with a bit of luck the pierce will take out the Jacobs.

This works well with the snipers placed on the ledge behind the Hospital.

At ground level it's the same thing, punch through the Tubes in front and (hopefully) kill the Jacobs.

The game is annoying...... but it has that 'just one more try' thing going for it. heh

You need to put piercing snipers ALL OVER the map to cover as many angles as possible to increase the odds of the jakobs getting picked off in the pack. Don't be afraid to have to rebuild them because of where you put them. If you get enough of them going, things won't really get through unless you put them where the tubes walk. Experimentation is a major factor to understanding how to build your 'ideal setup' for the map. Along the wall between the air spawn and long path should be filled with snipers. Next to the building at the 3-way bend between long and short path all the way to the other building by short path should be filled with snipers. All around the hospital itself should be filled with snipers. I like to fill 1 side of the bridge w/ snipers and the other side w/ a dampener+3 shredder+dampener+3 shredder setup. 3 shredders and 1 dampener is the tightest you can get a 2 dampeners before the fields overlap. If the fields overlap, they null each other out. I'm also a fan of the albert and I solo all 3 survivals no problem w/ it. I think I take less base damage on settlement solo when I use an albert since i don't have to run around as much to get to my targets...

Well, I managed to get to level 50 on all survival levels and that seems to be the maximum level for getting extra weapons.

On Settlement I ended up with a huge amount of Snipers, with a few shredders sprinkled amongst them as Knob protection.

Hospital was much the same, snipers on the ledge behind the hospital, as many as I could jam in there. It was amazing how often they would take out the jacobs while firing on BW, Bertha and Arty.

That and placing Snipers along the edge of the ramps leading up to the hospital proved to be *very* interesting as far as Jacobs were concerned.

I'll try getting even further on the survival levels, but there doesn't really seem to be much point.

Maybe DF will release more survival levels, who knows or a new enemy will appear...

Well, I managed to get to level 50 on all survival levels and that seems to be the maximum level for getting extra weapons.

On Settlement I ended up with a huge amount of Snipers, with a few shredders sprinkled amongst them as Knob protection.

Hospital was much the same, snipers on the ledge behind the hospital, as many as I could jam in there. It was amazing how often they would take out the jacobs while firing on BW, Bertha and Arty.

That and placing Snipers along the edge of the ramps leading up to the hospital proved to be *very* interesting as far as Jacobs were concerned.

I'll try getting even further on the survival levels, but there doesn't really seem to be much point.

Maybe DF will release more survival levels, who knows or a new enemy will appear...

A lot of us have been dreaming of a new DLC or a sequel for a long time now....someone told me theres a rumor that something is in the works for a sequel, but I'll believe it when I see proof of it myself.

Congrats on getting to level 50 on all the survival levels and getting all the dlc equipment.

I can understand your feeling about what's the point of going past 50.

Beyond 50 is personal satisfaction and bragging rights. But it is also how you test your skill.

For me personally, the challenge doesn't even begin until the 40's.

I think alot of vets here would agree that the first 30-40 waves are simply preparation for whats to come.

But...it sure is tough to invest two hours, get to high level, and not get any other rewards for it.

Since the survival maps were first released I always felt there needed to be and ultimate reward for getting to 100.

Could be something as simple as a paint job or a hat. Maybe an achievement.

There just needs to be something to work towards and be earned.

Imagine: You are on McKinley dealing with a bunch of noob/newer players who have been to level 20 and are trying to order you around by giving bad strategic advice and poor weapon recommendations. Then low and behold, you switch to a hat that can only be achieved by finishing all survival levels and bam! "I bow down to you oh great one. Bestow upon us the way of truth."

At least that is how it would happen in my head.

I'd love to have new hats! Though I've come to really enjoy wearing Raz's goggle hat thingy. I really should finish psychonauts on my laptop someday...

Sign in to follow this