Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
inm8num2

"Hero U" - upcoming kickstarter from Quest for Glory creators

All of the artwork thus far is very rough concept art. I actually think they could've used another month to work out the actual campaign but I think they just felt they had waited too long already.

I don't even mean the mockup screen, I just don't like the look and style of the characters. But also I'm not hearing much about the gameplay that stands out to me. I don't know, maybe they just haven't painted enough of a picture yet, but it isn't grabbing me.

Moot point, though, I'm broke anyway. If I did have money it'd probably go to Star Citizen right now, though. I'm pretty good on adventure and RPG Kickstarters at this point, and I want to see some space games.

They have my money for sure. They were pioneers in blending Adventure game goodness with RPG mechanics ans sensibilities and I look forward to seeing what they'll come up with when they blend RPG goodness with a dash of Adventure game sensibilities this time around. Also artkwork smartwork! I survived green and black monochrome! A survived CGA, EGA, VGA! I'm much more interested in the game having a awesome story, great gameplay, and serviceable art than any other combination of those, so I'd rather they right focus on getting the story and gameplay right and not worry about AAA+ art that'd cost 'em more money than they're asking for.

I'm definitely one of the backers for this project! - However, I completely agree that the artwork isn't really up to scratch with what should be achievable with tools available now. But hey, I loved Quest for Glory and have a lot of respect for what they have done in the past. So I'm backing them based on what they have done and what they might do if this one proves to be a success.

I'm definitely one of the backers for this project! - However, I completely agree that the artwork isn't really up to scratch with what should be achievable with tools available now. But hey, I loved Quest for Glory and have a lot of respect for what they have done in the past. So I'm backing them based on what they have done and what they might do if this one proves to be a success.

I, for one, think the concept art looks great, especially the moonlit school ruins, and if you look at the previous games of the developers, Jolly Rover and MacGuffin's Curse, you can see that there is no reason to worry. Plus of course the Coles have already proven themselves as game designers with the QFG series, as you said.

Huuuge fan of the Quest for Glory games! Also loved Castle of Dr. Brain. For me this was a no-brainer!

If you never played them, just search for it online and use DosBox to play it. You can also buy the whole collection for really cheap on GoG I think. If you fall in love with the first one, then please donate to this Kickstarter! You won't be disappointed!

The first game in the QfG series introduced the concept of taking an adventure game with lots of story and then adding RP and also combat elements into it. But it is far superior to the run-of-the-mill dungeon crawler, because these were only a small part of the game. The main part was really unraveling the story and sub-quests.

EDIT:

Btw- they mentioned in the updates that they will be releasing better concept art soon that will hopefully grab more attention! They know it's a vital selling point of the game. They also said they'd be doing something fun for Halloween as Lori is a big fan of the holiday!

I think I'll take this moment to quote from the man himself, Corey Cole recently posted this on Trickster's 'The Adventurer Gamer' blog in response to his Official Hero-U Post on the Kickstarter project:

Thanks for posting this, Trickster! I've been told our writeup is slightly confusing to adventure gamers. The bottom line is that we're making the same type of game as Quest for Glory, but much more focused on a single character (and character type). We think we can craft a tighter story this way, and also allow more choices for the player about how his/her character plays.

The major change is in the graphics. We simply can't afford to make a Sierra-style 2.5D Quest game. However, we have excellent artists, and we will make the game look good. It will mostly use tiled graphics, with Sierra-style backgrounds for key scenes. We think you'll like this game as much as our older ones.

For those worried that the combat will be some button mashing reflex affair, it's turn based and will be more tactical in nature. In Lori Cole's words on the Kickstarter comments:

It will be similar to JRPG games like Persona where each round you can choose to defend, attack, or use an item, but we are adding the ability to move in combat. You might want to throw some sneezing dust and then back off so that the monster can't get his attack off on you. Or you might want to set a trap and then lure the monster into it.

One of the problems I had with JRPG combat is that it didn't seem real. I'm not really into strategy combat games like Heroes of Might and Magic like Corey is. I didn't play FF tactics. I don't like the artificial combat screen where you are removed from the game and combat is a bunch of abstract decisions. I want to be directly involved with what my character is doing. But I do want the chance to think about what I'm doing and not have to worry when the doorbell rings that my character is going to die while I'm answering it.

Shamelessly quoting myself on the Kickstarter:

Sounds like combat in the game is going to be most akin to a tabletop RPG that makes heavy use of miniatures. In other words unlike a JRPG you're not wandering around on a world/dungeon map, then step on a square and 'BAM' off to the battle screen for a random battle with you one one side of the screen and baddies on the other! Nor is like FF Tactics or the like where you're wandering around the map or go to a specific place and 'BAM' off to a completely different battle map with you starting on one side and the baddies on the other. Instead you're on one map all the time, and when you see/come across a monster you'll be able to start in on turn based tactical combat where you'll move or attack or defend or use items or the like on your turn and you'll still be in that same room/hall/chamber part of the map you were in all along.

And back to Lori with her response:

@Jarikith Yes... that's the sort of combat we are planning for Hero-U. You can run around the table trying to get away from the monster's attack, move a barrel in the monster's way, or maybe use sleeping powder on the monster, then sneak up behind it and "Gotcha." The room's environment will affect the combat

I've been reading the interviews posted above by rogerxy, and I'm pretty impressed with the ideas behind this project, including the sequels that will be made if this first game makes it off the ground. No nostalgia here -- never played the QfG series, but they sound like they were well enough executed that I'm confident the Coles will come up with a very creative and fun new series of games if the project gets funded. I hope it does! There is also that little detail about getting Linux support, but I'm optimistic that will happen sooner or later.

The only main concern I have is that the game seems torn between concepts and ideas on par with a full-fledged RPG and the budget/engine of a casual puzzle game.

It sounds great, and I have faith in the Coles, but I think this discord might be a problem for others.

The only main concern I have is that the game seems torn between concepts and ideas on par with a full-fledged RPG and the budget/engine of a casual puzzle game.

It sounds great, and I have faith in the Coles, but I think this discord might be a problem for others.

QfG was also a hybrid game with not much bigger budget, even if you take inflation into account, and they will upgrade and modify the engine to suit their new game.

I don't get if it's an RPG with a bunch of combat or an adventure game ? It looks like it'd be an awesome adventure game.

I don't get if it's an RPG with a bunch of combat or an adventure game ? It looks like it'd be an awesome adventure game.

From the FAQ:

The short answer is "Yes". :-) Hero-U tells a story, has significant dialogue, and follows a single main character. It also has many puzzles to solve through dialogue, discovery and combination of objects, interpreting cryptic codes and messages, and so on. These are normally thought of as "adventure game" features.

At the same time, your character will develop skills as you progress through the game. You will explore catacombs and use your skills to defeat increasingly more powerful enemies and monsters. By the end of the game, your character will be much more skillful that at the beginning. Oh, and a lot of those "adventure game" puzzles we mentioned affect your success in combat and survival. Our combat is more sophisticated than in our previous games, as we are using an Action Point system and turn-based combat to make it more about making good decisions than how fast you can click.

Is there a conflict? We don't think so. We used a similar formula in Quest for Glory, and those games were very well received. To us, role-playing and adventure games are two sides of the same coin, and a two-sided coin is much more valuable than one with a blank side. A game with both RPG and adventure features is a more complete game than one lacking in either "side".

I like their new video much better and the art work looks much nicer as well. This is definetly moving in the right direction.

There's something I just don't like about this project. I hope they get funded, but nothing grabs me. It's ironic since I started the thread and was really excited, but as the campaign has passed I haven't felt excited about or even remotely interested in any aspect of the game.

I think I've pinpointed why I'm not that exited about Hero-U. It's the setting the game in school environment. At this moment I'm not that interested about yet another "a hero in the making" kind of a game. It would be nice to see a different angle for a change, like POW of seasoned adventurer, something like a career hero, who does what he does because it pays the rent.

I think I've pinpointed why I'm not that exited about Hero-U. It's the setting the game in school environment. At this moment I'm not that interested about yet another "a hero in the making" kind of a game. It would be nice to see a different angle for a change, like POW of seasoned adventurer, something like a career hero, who does what he does because it pays the rent.

You could choose the self-serving bastard route, then. And have to suffer him in the next game.

Well, if you liked any of the Quest for Glory, Dr. Brain, or MacGuffin's Curse games, maybe just think about donating at the $5 or $20 tiers then. I just know from past experience that the games they've created have turned out surprisingly interesting and addictive despite limited graphics. For example, I thought Quest for Glory II: Trial by Fire had some pretty rough graphics, but it was a favorite among fans because the story and characters were so interesting. Actually thinking about it, there are a lot of games with seemingly simple graphics that turn out to be among my favorites: Terraria and recently Lone Survivor to name a few.

I think the game will surprise many people..and end up being very entertaining.

I love that Corey is going to do the Linux port without taking any of the KS funding to do it.

more info here -

http://linuxgamingnews.org/2012/11/09/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption-will-have-a-gnulinux-client-if-funded

I just saw this article, one of the best interviews so far! check it out!

http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/23214

The major change is in the graphics. We simply can’t afford to make a Sierra-style 2.5D Quest game

Quest for Glory is by far my best adventure game. EVER!

I contributed to their kickstart, but the above quote is a deal-break for me. Is it SO hard to make 2.5 graphics in 2012...did they have to go with tiles?

This is a huge mistake from my point of view. I think a single screenshot with modern graphics ala Quest for Glory I would have brought them 3 times the money they have now. And that would definitely allow them to create a 2.5D game.

I just hope they make it!

The communication is lacking. Instead of saying, "We can't afford it," he needs to explain why his chosen graphical style is better for the game. Otherwise people aren't going to be convinced and feel like the project is "cheap".

The communication is lacking. Instead of saying, "We can't afford it," he needs to explain why his chosen graphical style is better for the game. Otherwise people aren't going to be convinced and feel like the project is "cheap".

It's not just a matter of cost, though that is one of the major points. The other is that going with a top down tile based game allows them to create a tactical turn based combat system that's much more in keeping with an Adventure Game feel. A combat system where you can plot your strategy and puzzle your way through just how you'll tackle, or avoid, the coming battle instead of a realtime twitchy combat system.

Could they also do this in a 2.5 game? Perhaps, but most likely it'd then have to be some sort of hybrid system where most of the time you're in a regular Sierra style adventure and then BAM combat flips you over into turn based combat mode on some new battle map or combat screen. Lori for one is on record as stating that she dislikes the breaking of immersion that's caused when that happens in games, where your actual combat is suddenly on a different type of screen or battle map than the rest of the game play. So yes, cost is a factor, but it's also a matter of creating a game with a unity in how it looks and plays both in and out of combat.

The major change is in the graphics. We simply can’t afford to make a Sierra-style 2.5D Quest game

I contributed to their kickstart, but the above quote is a deal-break for me. Is it SO hard to make 2.5 graphics in 2012...did they have to go with tiles?

This is a huge mistake from my point of view. I think a single screenshot with modern graphics ala Quest for Glory I would have brought them 3 times the money they have now. And that would definitely allow them to create a 2.5D game.

The main issue, as I understand it, is that game is too complex to make for 250-300k. They'd need at least 1-1,5M. Today artists aren't paid quite as little as they were in Sierra. Raising that amount on kickstarter would make this a 1,5-2M project. I think they did the right thing by choosing a more realistic goal. They have said, though, that should they get a million dollars, they will consider doing it in Sierra-style.

Come on... the concept art doesn't look that bad.

Hero-U_caverntiles.jpg

Don't get me wrong, Starker - I think it looks fine. But I'm putting myself in the shoes of people who are doubtful about the graphical style.

Quest For Glory is definitely my favorite adventure game series of all time (maybe not my favorite single adventure game, but definitely my favorite series). What made the games special for me wasn't the combat element or the graphics or even the fact that a majority of the puzzle solutions made at least some degree of logical sense - it was the writing, the story line, the character development and interactions, the humor, and the overarching tale that managed to span across five games by letting your character continue from one to the next. It also contains the only game moment in history that has ever managed to make me cry...damnit, Toby.

Hero-U looks like it promises all of these elements (except the last one)...just not the same graphics and style as Quest For Glory. I can understand some people "not feeling it" because of that difference, so I won't argue with anyone who chooses not to support it.

But as for me, I backed it as soon as it launched, even with the not-so-great looking first round of concept art, and I encourage others to back it as well.

The main issue, as I understand it, is that game is too complex to make for 250-300k. They'd need at least 1-1,5M. Today artists aren't paid quite as little as they were in Sierra. Raising that amount on kickstarter would make this a 1,5-2M project. I think they did the right thing by choosing a more realistic goal. They have said, though, that should they get a million dollars, they will consider doing it in Sierra-style.

Tim Schafer could have claimed the same! Imagine DFA in tile-based game. Would they have reached 3M? No way! How could they expect to reach 1,5-2M with such screenshot? The concept-art is great, but the actual in-game screenshot sucks.

They only real reason they are using tile-based art it is because they want to use the mac-gruffing-something engine. They could just use Visionnaire, or Wintermute. All their cool ideas could be implemented in these engines.

Come on... the concept art doesn't look that bad.

For me...Yes...it does look really bad. Just imagine the animations. It has worse graphics than QFG1. The scenery was a vital part for QFG (remember the atmosphere of QFG4?)

Anyway i backed the project for good-old-times sake, but i am not that excited. I am afraid they wont make it. Only 8 days left and they only have 220.000

Sign in to follow this