Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
inm8num2

"Hero U" - upcoming kickstarter from Quest for Glory creators

Tim Schafer could have claimed the same! Imagine DFA in tile-based game. Would they have reached 3M? No way! How could they expect to reach 1,5-2M with such screenshot? The concept-art is great, but the actual in-game screenshot sucks.

Tim said that the game he would've made with 400k would've barely been a game and he has a development studio. And DFA didn't even show any concept art. I think DFA got so much money because it was first, because Tim has made great games in the past, because he is very charismatic and because they had people and resources to make a very professionally marketed campaign. Compared to that, the Coles are just a couple of old nerds sitting on a couch. Look at Space Quest guys or Jane for comparison. They struggled to get 400-500k and they were promising a Sierra-style game.

They only real reason they are using tile-based art it is because they want to use the mac-gruffing-something engine. They could just use Visionnaire, or Wintermute. All their cool ideas could be implemented in these engines.

They have said that this is because tile based art is affordable to produce and that they can make the game that they want using that approach. They could've used Jolly Rover's engine, but they chose MacGuffin's engine because it can be used to create the needed animations and tile-based mechanics. Corey has said that they would consider making the game Sierra-style, if they got something upwards from 1M, but that it's not possible with just 260k.

For me...Yes...it does look really bad. Just imagine the animations. It has worse graphics than QFG1. The scenery was a vital part for QFG (remember the atmosphere of QFG4?)

For me, the story, the characters, the world and the humour were far more important, but they do have people who made the QfG2 remake and people behind Art of Sierra on board. If you don't trust them to do QfG justice, then who do you trust?

Anyway i backed the project for good-old-times sake, but i am not that excited. I am afraid they wont make it. Only 8 days left and they only have 220.000

Last days are the most important. SpaceVenture made 175k in the last 6 days and 100k in the last 3 days, iirc.

Last days are the most important. SpaceVenture made 175k in the last 6 days and 100k in the last 3 days, iirc.

That was incredible.

The concept-art is great, but the actual in-game screenshot sucks.

Missed it at first go... There are no in-game screenshots. The game is not even in pre-production. It's all concept art done for free in spare time.

Tim has made great games in the past, because he is very charismatic and because they had people and resources to make a very professionally marketed campaign. Compared to that, the Coles are just a couple of old nerds sitting on a couch. Look at Space Quest guys or Jane for comparison. They struggled to get 400-500k and they were promising a Sierra-style game.

I guess you are right... Tim already had a company assembled. Maybe also Tim was the first and then people got bored on backing up every video game legend. Or maybe Lucasarts also had more fans than Sierra's?

Let's hope for the best! Btw does anyone know where Ken Nishiuye is now?

The updated style has grown on me. - It still doesn't feel ideal, but in terms of the budget it will be able to do exactly what they want to achieve. Especially since the other adventure games that have now come up through kickstarter all feel like they only want to tug on nostalgias strings. LSL, SpaceVenture, Tex and Jane Jenson are all aiming at producing a new adventure that, even without their original characters, is just going to be a trip down memory lane.

Hero-U definitely does that as well, but they are taking the next step in making sure that the game is actually new and moves away from what QFG was.

I really hope the best for them! - As it gets closer to the closing date, I keep upping my pledge since I'm nervous they won't make it.

LSL, SpaceVenture, Tex and Jane Jenson are all aiming at producing a new adventure that, even without their original characters, is just going to be a trip down memory lane.

I don't agree for Jane Jensen. From what we have seen, Moebius hasn't much in common with Gabriel Knight except the fact that it will be a traditionnal point & click adventure written by Jane Jensen.

I always thought that the Coles would have a hard time on Kickstarter. Quest for Glory lacks popularity, especially in Europe when the series has never been really successful. Plus they don't mention localization at all, meaning that they're cutting off from all the potential backers who don't speak English fluently, while most of the other adventure games promised French, German, Italian and Spanish translations. And they have a hard time convincing people it will be a great looking game with the assets that they currently have.

I still hope that they'll be able to reach their goal, but I'm not overly optimistic.

Wow! All of my favorite games are coming back. I just made a donation to Obsidian's project eternity. Finally, a new RPG in the same vein as the Black Isle classics. I wanted this to happen 10 years ago. (Better late than never!)

LSL, SpaceVenture, Tex and Jane Jenson are all aiming at producing a new adventure that, even without their original characters, is just going to be a trip down memory lane.

I don't agree for Jane Jensen. From what we have seen, Moebius hasn't much in common with Gabriel Knight except the fact that it will be a traditionnal point & click adventure written by Jane Jensen.

Yeah, that's the point that I was making :) - They are all still old school point and click, whereas they are trying to move out of that genre. Although I guess you can argue that this is still the same as they are both adventure/rpg hybrids it just seems like they are going a lot further with that.

Well, I am funding it, and I hope other people do the same! This game looks great, a new spin on the Cole's old style and themes, and I think the final product will be amazing.

Please help fund this project!

Well, I am funding it, and I hope other people do the same! This game looks great, a new spin on the Cole's old style and themes, and I think the final product will be amazing.

Please help fund this project!

with such an attitude and drive concerning social media this game will be amazing for the audience who uses that very same social media:

http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1878147873/comments

Don't confuse the normal course of events with enemy action, at least not on reddit's or Kickstarter's part. One or more people complained about reddit spam bombing, Kickstarter did their duty by notifying me, and I am doing my duty by notifying you. There are a lot of threads on reddit linking to this project. That's probably par for the course for reddit. But Kickstarter has asked me not to "link bomb", and I am making the same request to our backers. Because, in fact, I don't think any more links there, or upvoting links, will do us any good. By now, anyone who is active in the reddit community has heard about Hero-U. If it sounded interesting to them, they will have visited the project. If they aren't interested, they will not come here. We have more than enough links on reddit. reddit is renowned for trolling. I had about 20% down-votes when I did the IAmA there, and at first that bothered me. Then I saw that many other IAmA's had 30-50% down-votes. There are many people on reddit who downvote posts just because they can... and possibly so their own posts will rank higher. Jerks - They're everywhere, and they will do destructive things. We need to just stay out of that sewer.

Nov. 16, 2012 on Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption by the Quest for Glory designers.

*** IMPORTANT NOTE *** A number of you have been promoting Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption by posting in forums, upvoting reddit links, and so on. This is great when it is part of what you normally do. It is bad and inappropriate when you're spamming, especially in communities where you would not normally post such links. Here is a note I got from Kickstarter this morning: Nice to meet you. I'm writing because your project was reported for link-bombing forums such as Reddit about your project. Our Guidelines (http://www.kickstarter.com/help/guidelines#community) specify this kind of activity as spam, and is not permitted. We take our guidelines very seriously; please take a minute to read through them. Appreciate your attention. Please stop link-bombing; it is making the project look bad, and could get it cancelled.

Nov. 16, 2012 on Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption by the Quest for Glory designers.

Being 75% funded, I have a hard time seeing them fail. I don't recall any projects that were that close and didn't make it, though certainly it's possible this has indeed happened.

That was incredible.

And I'm sure they're barely getting by with that budget they got too. I just hope their sales are a roaring success once they get it made.

Space Venture really got things rolling at the end with Cluck Y'egger Patrick Waliburton sound-alike and a nostalgic and funny prototype, as well as the fanmade Pledge Quest.

Hope Hero U pulls through, but it's going to take a big push, that's for sure.

Hope all Quest for Glory fans pitched in! If not, c'mon- what's $20?

The game will be awesome- you'll see. It'll be like Hogwarts meets X-men Academy. Probably.

That was incredible.

And I'm sure they're barely getting by with that budget they got too. I just hope their sales are a roaring success once they get it made.

Space Venture really got things rolling at the end with Cluck Y'egger Patrick Waliburton sound-alike and a nostalgic and funny prototype, as well as the fanmade Pledge Quest.

Hope Hero U pulls through, but it's going to take a big push, that's for sure.

The key point in that kickstarter versus yours is that Roberta and Ken Williams supported it whereas they refused to back or support yours. The Coles also mentioned in interviews that Quest for Glory was limited due to the Sierra engine, which was a depreciating fixed cost in the old budget.

Hopefully everyone remortgages their home for overpaid visuals! And an overpriced engine!

This will be archived for future generations to ponder for future devs as they plan their kickstarters, to avoid being embarrassed so don't try to delete it!

http://www.questformoreglory.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3155

http://www.hero-u.net/herouforums/2012/10/hero-u-spread-the-words/

Correction: Ken Williams IS a backer of Hero-U and has been for a few weeks

Only 2 days left now and $65k left to the goal, we need all the help we can get now! Please consider pledging to help the Coles make a comeback in the adventure gaming business, I bet there are more than me here who would really like to see that become a reality.

If you already have pledged, you can always raise your pledge :) (and/or spread the word about this Kickstarter)

Thank you!

Kickstarter: http://kck.st/WwVlp7

New redesigned homepage: http://www.hero-u.net/

Did I mention that I'm giving away a copy of QfG anthology in a tombstone limerick writing contest on GOG?

Well, I'm giving away a copy of QfG anthology in a tombstone limerick writing contest on GOG. Ends when the Hero-U kickstarter does. Linky.

Congrats to all Hero-U fans. It was a tight battle, but in the end you made it. While I didn't pledge this myself, despite I thought I would, I am glad for the Coles.

So glad it made it's goal! - Only by 9k, but still will be great to see a new game from them. I just hope it does well enough for the to continue with the rest of their Hero-U plan.

Sign in to follow this