Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Xaromir

Dishonored

Is there really no topic about Bethesda's new and exciting IP? Looks a little like Thief vs Fallout. Any thoughts/opinions?

They recently came out with little animated shorts, teasing the story a little, and they are pretty darn cool. Have a look:

Let's hope that they don't mess it up - again.

I've been looking forward to this one. I'm not sure if I'll get it on launch day with ACIII coming out so soon after. Definitely buying it though.

I'm waiting for the christmas sale, i hope to snatch it for -50%, hope they aren't just doing a lame 33% deal on it. Not sure when i get AC3. I really like the promise of it being solvable in a sneaky way, we don't get that often enough anymore, since they watered down Splinter Cell.

This also launches the same day as XCOM, which looks more interesting to me.

@Xaromir

Did you play Deus Ex: Human Revolution? You could sneak through the whole game without killing anyone (except the shitty bosses).

I'm waiting for the christmas sale, i hope to snatch it for -50%, hope they aren't just doing a lame 33% deal on it. Not sure when i get AC3. I really like the promise of it being solvable in a sneaky way, we don't get that often enough anymore, since they watered down Splinter Cell.

unless it really bombs in sales it's not going to be 50% off that soon

Well, i don't really like DE:HR, and i somehow grew out of SciFi a bit in general, so if a game with a SciFi setting doesn't fully convince me i'm not buying it. Well i hope i get it cheap, maybe there will be additional coupon thingies, or who knows, i'm not paying 50Eur for a unknown IP from a mainstream developer/publisher.

Everything I've seen about this game looks amazing. I hope it's gonna be good. Doubt I'll pick it up at launch though because my backlog is already pretty big.

Episode 3 got released, i linked it in the OP. I think it's really cool what they do with these little animated bits, but i wish they wouldn't be so independent from each other.

It's not made by Bethesda, it's made by Arkane. Bethesda's just publishing it.

But still yeah Dishonored looks fucking awesome. As for looking like Thief vs Fallout... A good amount of people at Arkane worked at Ion Storm (The Deus Ex 1 Devs) and a lot of the guys at Ion Storm worked at Looking Glass. (The Thief Devs) If anyone knows how to do a stealth game, it's those guys.

Oh yeah, and on another note, Dishonored has the same artist as Half-Life 2, Viktor Antonov.

It all looks very good indeed, and i'm very excited about it, i want to love it, but i'm highly cautious with actually purchasing it as you may have noticed.

It's not made by Bethesda, it's made by Arkane.

Which in turn is owned by Zenimax so it's developed by an in-house studio even though they don't slap their name on it (which is a wise choice as i can see from your reaction) but to me Zenimax=Bethesda, one wouldn't be without the other, and they can still kill cool ideas faster than anyone can dream them up. Well, some of them worked on some cool stuff indeed, but looking at what they actually released as Arkane Studios is not so nice. Arx Fatalis looked very nice, but was rather mediocre, and Dark Messiah was ok, but not really the bees knees either.

I also want to remind you about what happened with Piranha Bytes, who developed Gothic 1, 2 and 3. 1 and 2 been quite enjoyable, though lacking mouse support if i remember that right (and that in 2002 - imagine that), but something happened with Gothic 3, and to put it quite bluntly: It was utter unplayable garbage. Then followed a huge fight between their publisher Jowood who actually kept the IP. Well, PB then left Jowood and made the fantastic Risen, and Risen 2, while Jowood told Spellbound to make another Gothic for them, which also sucked pretty badly though Spellbound actually made good games in the past, like Desperados and Robin hood.

Point is: Publishers have a tendency to interfere to much and ruin everything, as seen with for example Gothic3, which could have been a good game, but they decided to be morons instead, and they are indeed owned by Zenimax/Bethesda. I'm not condemning it, i'm just cautious about the whole involvement of Bethesda in the project, though i'm somewhat optimistic because i want this to be 90+ game so so so so so much. <3

Guess I'll jump ship too. I'm not buying games full price anymore though.

There's also Halo 4, Assassin's Creed III, Hitman Absolution, Lego Lord of the Rings, Far Cry 3 and Professor Layton.

They made a cool interactive trailer. :D

I love it when people do stuff like that.

Though, what does 5ANK-FLNM-77Q9 mean?

It looks pretty darn slick. I'm putting it on my 'to buy' list, but with X-Com and Mass Effect 3 DLC coming out on the same day, I won't be picking it up on 'day one'. I do look forward to it though, and hope to pick it up ASAP.

So far the XBox and PS3 version scored 88 on Metacritic, the PC version scored a 89, which is not the mind bending super mega game some hoped for, and it's only 6h long apparently, though it seems to fill those hours rather nicely. Not going to buy it full-price but i'm certainly buying. HUZZAH! IT'S A GOOD GAME! :D

It's a really uncomfortable feeling to complaint about a game only lasting 6h, while knowing that i hardly can do that anymore without being interrupted by life anymore. I miss the days when i was able to grind away in RPGs for 8h and still was able to say i got something done in the day. T_T

Well, if everything I've heard about this game is right then it should have pretty good replayability. But a game that I can finish in a weekend isn't such a horrible thought to me as it was when I was a teenager.

Well, if everything I've heard about this game is right then it should have pretty good replayability. But a game that I can finish in a weekend isn't such a horrible thought to me as it was when I was a teenager.

I think a lot of it has to do with the quality of textures being put into all of these current generation games, the cinematic setup of the 'scenes', etc. etc. 10 minutes in a game today ≠ 10 minutes of gameplay ten years ago.

I don't mind shorter games these days if the production value is high. They tend to be more like interactive movies. Although I do tend to be less excited about them than I am a game like Fallout 3 or Borderlands, which feature countless hours of sandbox type play above and beyond the main story.

There was a post on RPS worth reading, i quote the first bit.

There’s going to be a backlash against Dishonored. It can’t be helped: when a game makes big promises, a justice squad will quickly arise to loudly demand that it accounts for not meeting them to the very letter, and in this case I suspect there’s an additional flock of people who have been led by marketing to expect an all-out action game. I can predict, even sympathise with, some of the complaints, others I suspect will be absolutely mystifying to me. It’s the finest hour in what we might loosely but innacurately term ‘blockbuster shooters’ in years – I’d feel petulant were I to demand it give me even more. But there is one complaint that may reach a crescendo in short order, and that is the issue of length. For me, Dishonored was a deliciously long game, clocking in at about 25 hours even without the total replay I intend on having very soon. For someone else – someone who has a lot of numbers in the name they use when playing Halo 4, say – it will be insultingly short. It may not even make a double figures quantity of hours. That’s not the game’s fault, it’s theirs. They gobbled the onion up whole, too greedy or too lazy to peel apart its layers.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/08/dishonored-length/

I'm a little relieved now actually, though i understand how some may expect a fast action game - i was worried that it may be to-much action, but i comforted myself with the fact that i actually don't mind a bit of fast action occasionally.

i bought it because it seems really unique compared to today's big budget shooters and i don't want unique to be another word for commercial failure

*sigh* How fucking hard is it to release games here on the same day? Europeans always have to wait till friday

Wouldn't be able to afford it now anyways. I'm probably getting some vinyl later this month, and my driving instructor just told me that the driving test this month probably will cost 350Eur instead of 200Eur. *sigh* I hope i make it on the first try. Being able to drive well is one thing, being able to drive test-well is another.

PC and 360 version are up, it's now rated with a 91 on PC (reader score is 9.0), i'm so excited. xD Can't wait for christmas. xD

i've remapped the block command like 5 times but nothing feels right. it feels like something that makes more sense on a controller. ugh.

also this game is making the exact same mistake the first assassin's creed made: making you stand there like a dope and listen to characters deliver monologues instead of just having cutscenes.

also this game is making the exact same mistake the first assassin's creed made: making you stand there like a dope and listen to characters deliver monologues instead of just having cutscenes.

Would a cut scene really be necessary? You'd still be watching people talk, it would just be in a cutscene rather than in gameplay.

Sign in to follow this