Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Xaromir

Dishonored

you are completely underestimating how much cutscenes can make watching people talk more interesting and dynamic. there's a reason most games still use them.

of course, it's possible to make no cutscenes work. if you go look at half life 2, you'll see that it never hinders your control and locks you into position, there's always interesting little things happening when someone's talking at you, etc. this game isn't following that model though.

Anyone remembering cinematics? I LOVED those, any Final Fantasy on the PS wouldn't have been anything without them. <3 In a cutscene you can arrange it all very differently, direct the players eye to things in the background, show faces and therefor convey emotions better, and all that, and it beats the hell out of looking at a wall and waiting till the NPCs finish their damn dialog.

Hot: Often you just have to get used to it and try it for a while, especially if you tinker around with the controls a lot. But seriously: An FPS with shitty controls on the PC? They mad?

Anyone remembering cinematics? I LOVED those, any Final Fantasy on the PS wouldn't have been anything without them. <3 In a cutscene you can arrange it all very differently, direct the players eye to things in the background, show faces and therefor convey emotions better, and all that, and it beats the hell out of looking at a wall and waiting till the NPCs finish their damn dialog.

Hot: Often you just have to get used to it and try it for a while, especially if you tinker around with the controls a lot. But seriously: An FPS with shitty controls on the PC? They mad?

I agree with the cut scene thing, cinematography is almost completely lost in a game where there is no cut scenes.

As a hardcore MGS fan, I got to say cinematics have their place. It's not right for all games, but neither are Half-Life style story sequences.

of course, it's possible to make no cutscenes work. if you go look at half life 2, you'll see that it never hinders your control and locks you into position, there's always interesting little things happening when someone's talking at you, etc. this game isn't following that model though.

Oh, I thought it did. Never mind.

so i just like powered through this game in like 5 hours. i want to compare it to a sandbox game in that it gives you lots of tools and you're supposed to make your own fun. if you want to teleport past every obstacle you sure as heck can. sweet! i do want to replay it though because i flew past so many collectables and books and side missions. it's definitely a game that will shine more when you approach it in a sneaky mindset.

the story is pretty disappointing actually. it doesn't really feel incomplete, but i never got invested. the ending is like so many other games where it gives you a cinematic telling you the results of your actions instead of actually showing them to you.

also who didn't see the loyalists' betrayal coming from 5000000 miles away?

nice!!

I heard you have to hide unconscious bodies very carefully, lest they get eaten by rats.

pfft about 9 hours till I get the game in the mail :(

I have been playing a bit of this game and you totally should give Arkane all your earthly possessions. Actually, no, not just your earthly possessions, give them your soul, too. That is just how great this game is.

I have been playing a bit of this game and you totally should give Arkane all your earthly possessions. Actually, no, not just your earthly possessions, give them your soul, too. That is just how great this game is.

Yeah, your soul sounds like a fair trade. This game is incredible. I did my stealth run first and now I'm playing through again going completely batshit, dropping ten guys at once with the time spell and pistol, blinking up to tallboys to cut their heads off and summoning swarms of rats in the middle of rich people's parties... So, so fun.

Yeah, your soul sounds like a fair trade. This game is incredible. I did my stealth run first and now I'm playing through again going completely batshit, dropping ten guys at once with the time spell and pistol, blinking up to tallboys to cut their heads off and summoning swarms of rats in the middle of rich people's parties... So, so fun.

tbh i regret doing a high chaos playthrough. it made me feel like a total dick. i don't like it when video games make me feel like a dick. who are these people that video game developers keep putting in the "be a tremendous dick" option for. it's the same with mass effect. you have to be an actual psychopath to pick some of the renegade options it gives you. god.

tbh i regret doing a high chaos playthrough. it made me feel like a total dick. i don't like it when video games make me feel like a dick. who are these people that video game developers keep putting in the "be a tremendous dick" option for. it's the same with mass effect. you have to be an actual psychopath to pick some of the renegade options it gives you. god.
it was nice though to be able to just stab guards and then use elevators and doors like a normal human being

Just beat the game. Thinking about it, it's really just a giant love letter to Looking Glass Studios, in the form of an awesome AAA game. And I can appreciate that, since it plays like a faster paced, next gen Thief game. Who knows, this might even be a better Thief game than Thief 4 may turn out to be!

Dishonored was a commercial success and they are making a franchise out of it, which i'm looking forward to, but i hope they aren't going to milk it to death like a CoD, or MoH etc, but i also would like to replace the word franchise with cow, as almost all franchises get milked.

I now took the chance to play it, played about 1 1/2h so far and i really like it. The Thief comparison is deeply lacking though, it feels more linear than Thief which isn't actually bad, but what i do find really bad, is that i can't really "fade into the shadow", if i stand in light or dark doesn't seem to make a difference, distance seems to be more important. If i stand a fair distance (maybe 3yard/meter) away in a pitch black corner, he will still see me instantly if he turns around, i find this very counter-intuitive and it's my only real criticism so far. I get the feeling that it doesn't matter if i stand in the light or in darkness, which is sad, but otherwise it's good.

But i can see though, why people are reminded of Thief, with the pickpocketing and distracting enemies and making them unconscious, and also the look and style etc. I still hope for a good Thief4, Dishonored is good in it's own respect, but it's not Thief.

So here's a question.

I love everything about this game. I was a Looking Glass boxed retail believer early on. I liked Arx Fatalis.

The art style, the historic references, the game mechanics, the story telling, the subtle, brilliant sound effects, you can rely on, when you completely turn off the HUD, etc, etc

... yet, why is it that I am having a hard time finishing the game? Or even, returning to it and playing the next mission?

Is it me, just feeling uneasy, or is there something deeply sad and depressing about this really well fleshed out game world?

So far i feel pretty good about the game. It surely is a rough and dark world, and to me it also feels very hopeless and depressing in a way, but that just makes me feel stronger towards the character i'm playing, i am hope personified. Not quite sure what you mean with uneasy, but i find that i can relax quite well while being driven by the game to search for that next rune or charm. I just finished the second mission (the one with High Overseer Campbell) and i spend 9 long hours, exploring, trying things, snooping around etc, maybe you could try to focus more on these things, if the story isn't your thing.

I have one more criticism about this game though: I wish it would look a lot less like HalfLife2, and a bit more steam punk, with more wood and gears n shit. I know it's got more of a cartoony art-style to it, but when i look at barricades, ships and technology i'm just often reminded about HL2, it just looks like something the combine would make, and also the was letters and books are displayed - i would really appreciate paper background for these. There is criticism, but it ends up being nitpicking in a way.

I have one more criticism about this game though: I wish it would look a lot less like HalfLife2, and a bit more steam punk, with more wood and gears n shit. I know it's got more of a cartoony art-style to it, but when i look at barricades, ships and technology i'm just often reminded about HL2, it just looks like something the combine would make, and also the was letters and books are displayed - i would really appreciate paper background for these. There is criticism, but it ends up being nitpicking in a way.

Well the art is done by the same guy...

Well the art is done by the same guy...

that doesn't mean he shouldn't develop his style and give this game its own unique flair.

steampunk is a boring fad i'm glad they didn't go all the way with that.

when you scrolled on letters/books the text kind of shifted perspective a bit. that was a weird and unnecessary effect, i agree that they should have had a paper background.

It's not a fad, it has been around for decades, just the name and it's popularity are new. I find it visually pleasing, and so do many other people, but there aren't really that many games with that style around, as opposed to fantasy/medival and sci-fi stuff, which i find somewhat boring, and i'm a little irritated by how much sci-fi they put in the mix, while the industrial revolution still is a stylistically very neglected period in games. Well, at least paper as background for text in books and letters would have been nice, and yes, that shifting effect is unnecessary.

The game has made absolutely no indication that they can be saved so far. Why should I be punished for putting them out of their misery?

Sign in to follow this