Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Sidequest: "Put Your Lips on That."

I really like this! It's great to see my favorite games from my childhood through the eyes of their creator.

I only have one slight suggestion for the production team. The gameplay audio level is a bit low compared to Tims voice. I get that these are fast sidequests and you don't want to slave over audio mixing in post. But maybe you can run the sound from the computer directly into a mixer and than into the camera, just to get a little bit more control over the sound levels.

Tim - "Oh you've croudsourced the subtitles? I'll make it fun for them. Skiddely bop boop"

Haha, good one!

I actually think subtitles to a different language should not be confused with captions to the deaf and hard of hearing.

If you can hear, but don't know the language that well it would seem idiotic to see someone translate "skooboo boo boodi boo". The fact that the same tool is used for both cases should not cause confusion regarding the purpose in each case. Unfortunately, it happens sometimes so I hope those who are taking part in the translation are considering this.

Tim - "Oh you've croudsourced the subtitles? I'll make it fun for them. Skiddely bop boop"

*silly mode on* geez...so true. tim wants to torture us translators with so many disjoint, crippled sentences. its like talking to the milkman. *silly mode off*

Singing is fine... Changing the grammatical person in the middle of the sentence or speaking faster than people can read is a problem :] Yes, I'm looking at you mr $random_dfa_speaker! (Seriously though, I don't mean anyone in particular; Everyone is doing this, unscripted monologues are simply difficult).

I really enjoyed this sidequest. I like you didn't censor the small problems Tim had with fighting or pixel hunting. Also, how anyone can dislike an hour long video with episode notes like "MTV Oddities", "Heavy Metal", "Another World" and "Fistful of Dollars"? :D

Thanks!

PS.

Do you think we will get a chance to do the subtitles to sidequests as well?

@Kryzstof: oh yeh, somtimes i cant even read the subtitles i myself have translated, with which one would assume id have the least problems of all people.

Full throttle.. aah.. memories! Awesome video, as usual! But how in the power of greyskull will you manage to fit all these videos on one blu-ray? mind-boggling

Full throttle.. aah.. memories! Awesome video, as usual! But how in the power of greyskull will you manage to fit all these videos on one blu-ray? mind-boggling

that has been already touched upon by paul. at the time of the last discussion paul said that they would like to include it and they are looking into it, but the document is paramount. so i guess some purchasable bonus disc might be in order, or something.

that has been already touched upon by paul. at the time of the last discussion paul said that they would like to include it and they are looking into it, but the document is paramount. so i guess some purchasable bonus disc might be in order, or something.

I see, thank you for clarifying that!

@Kryzstof: oh yeh, somtimes i cant even read the subtitles i myself have translated, with which one would assume id have the least problems of all people.

Exactly... That's the final thing I try to do with the subtitles and I think it is most time consuming. I suppose it's similar in all the Slavic languages: English text translated to Polish expands by ~10%. Squeezing that on the screen is not easy.

I'm doing the subtitles hoping that one day I will watch it all with my family so I try to obey some rules that I made up.

- No three-line captions.

- It must be possible to read all the text out loud while it is on the screen without taking a speed reading class or being

. I prefer to change the style of a sentence completely and to make it readable than to stay true.

- First of all every sentence should be nice in Polish, faithfulness is in the second place.

Unfortunately the most difficult parts are also most important, when Tim is talking about the floating dots or giving a speech at the end of Kickstarter. So much text, so little time... I would like to change the subtitle timing there but I'm not sure if it is problematic and I don't know how to do it.

Exactly... That's the final thing I try to do with the subtitles and I think it is most time consuming. I suppose it's similar in all the Slavic languages: English text translated to Polish expands by ~10%. Squeezing that on the screen is not easy.

I'm doing the subtitles hoping that one day I will watch it all with my family so I try to obey some rules that I made up.

- No three-line captions.

- It must be possible to read all the text out loud while it is on the screen without taking a speed reading class or being

. I prefer to change the style of a sentence completely and to make it readable than to stay true.

- First of all every sentence should be nice in Polish, faithfulness is in the second place.

Unfortunately the most difficult parts are also most important, when Tim is talking about the floating dots or giving a speech at the end of Kickstarter. So much text, so little time... I would like to change the subtitle timing there but I'm not sure if it is problematic and I don't know how to do it.

i keep the first one as well. but most of the time its not really a problem, after all much of what tim says is just consists of meaningless words. i tend to cut them down and construct reasonable sentences.

second one...well, i try to minimize that, but this one is difficult as hell.

i tried to make it a compromise in the third one. i try to put in more time to those to get them right.

and yes, the dots were hellish.

PS.

Do you really intend to translate all the Grim Fandango names?

(...)

i keep the first one as well. but most of the time its not really a problem, after all much of what tim says is just consists of meaningless words. i tend to cut them down and construct reasonable sentences.

(...)

Oh, in that case it's easy...

Episode 1

*Talking about Kickstarter*

*Talking about games using meaningless words*

*Talking about scrotum shaving*

*They dislike producers*

*Roll the credits*

PS.

Do you really intend to translate all the Grim Fandango names?

It's already done for Italian and Polish in the ep. 2 :D This was the best part really. No one can prove you are wrong :]

i wouldnt be that harsh :).

and i didnt translate them either. the only exception is the "something" ones. ive just translated "something" and left the rest.

i wouldnt be that harsh :).

and i didnt translate them either. the only exception is the "something" ones. ive just translated "something" and left the rest.

Still, the following sentence you said is simply hilarious:

...after all much of what tim says is just consists of meaningless words.

Imagine the pitch for the documentary: "This is your chance to watch Tim just say meaningless words"

I distinctly recall being one of the people stuck on the notion that stacking the cars in the junkyard was part of the solution during my first playthrough. Those were the days. I wonder how much time I wasted on that. That's what makes first plays so special, I suppose. Frustration leading to the reward of a breakthrough.

Another great video, 2PP.

This sidequest reminds me that I need to grab scummVM so that I can play the pristine boxed copy of Full Throttle I recently rescued from getting recycled.

2PP should make a sidequest where they just loop Tim repeatedly falling off the bike and replace the Gone Jackals with

The camera sure does love Tim - and Tim definitely loves the camera! I'd be up for an entire documentary solely focusing on Tim's life and career. Forget the game production, get that underway!

One idea touched upon during this video was double-click fast travel and whether or not to include it in 'Reds'

I think it should absolutely be supported. To not include it would indeed help with pacing for the first playthrough, but on repeat plays would only become frustrating.

Agreed, that feature is definitely a must-have for ANY modern adventure game, and it annoys me immensely when I bump into a game without that feature..

One idea touched upon during this video was double-click fast travel and whether or not to include it in 'Reds'

I think it should absolutely be supported. To not include it would indeed help with pacing for the first playthrough, but on repeat plays would only become frustrating.

Yep I agree with this. I feel like whenever there is doubt about whether or not a feature like this should be included.. being able to enable\disable in options would be ideal, and set the defaults to whatever is best for the first playthrough.

Waves... of... nostalgia... overwhelming me.

That door puzzle was brilliant.

If ever I'm in a highway fight with a rival motorcycle gang I don't think I'll be calling on Tim.

IME, the fights are harder in ScummVM than they originally were.

For some reason the opponents mirror your moves and try to hold the same distance to you, so you have to push them all the way to the side and get really close to get your first hits in. Back then, I fought them in the middle of the screen and then retreated to my side before they hit me back.

Why is Tim's computer using vanilla Windows sound scheme? Surely a custom set of DF notification and startup/shutdown sounds would increase computing awesomeness by 45.0 ± 1.0%

Such a treat. Really great revisiting old friends like Full Throttle and hearing tidbits about Luke Skywalker :D. Soundgarden as the soundtrack would've been pretty cool though, but it all came together really nicely in the end. Looking forward to seeing more. Thanks.

Now I am going to demand 1h long side-quests ALL the time. Damn this.

And watching Tim play videogames is sometimes more fun than playing them. #MindBlown

Love these.

It reminds me of playing adventure games with a friend as a kid, and with Tim doing these, sooo many great stories and insights from production.

As for double clicking to fast travel, I'm not so sure about that. I rather enjoy having travel time to appreciate the environment on games, and unless scenes are going to be constantly reused, I think it's better to travel on foot. It gives a goal-oriented gamer "I gotta get this done!" a reason to stop and smell the visual roses.

Tim comments on how a lot of people think Full Throttle is post-apocalyptic. He doesn't elaborate on whether or not it is, but the main reason I always thought it was post-apocalyptic was that Gone Jackals song that's playing on a radio in that trailer park/junk yard dog scene, that goes:

"The population is greatly decreased

And now the odds are greatly increased

That I may someday get a chance

To kiss your lips

I thank the Lo-o-ord each day

For the apocalypse"

IME, the fights are harder in ScummVM than they originally were.

For some reason the opponents mirror your moves and try to hold the same distance to you, so you have to push them all the way to the side and get really close to get your first hits in. Back then, I fought them in the middle of the screen and then retreated to my side before they hit me back.

Full Throttle is one of the SCUMM games where I'm most worried about lingering bugs in ScummVM. For the most part, the behaviour of the games is encoded in the game's data files, and all that ScummVM has to do is interpret this bytecode. While there were several different versions of the game engine over the years, adding opcodes to accommodate for new features (some of them decidedly non-trivial) and removing limitations of the older versions, the basic task of running The Curse of Monkey Island probably isn't that different from the basic task of running Maniac Mansion.

And then there's Full Throttle, which has this big, gelatinous cube of hard-coded logic for handling the biker fight sequences. For quite some time, ScummVM would simply skip these parts, until some madman (and I mean that in the nicest possible sense of the word) managed to reverse-engineer them. But it's several thousand lines of code, and if you know of any bugs I'm sure bug reports are appreciated. They may take time to process, since that madman is still the one who knows the most about how it works, and he's the current ScummVM project leader which probably takes up a fair bit of his time. But at least the bugs will then be on record.

Sign in to follow this