• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
SlimBUK

Why no Android love?

Sure, I know androids can't feel love if it's not in their programming, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't try.

500full.jpg

I would love my favourite games developer to release this one for Android. Will it happen?

PS. I was surprised there wasn't more about this when I looked, if there have been other threads that I missed then I'm sorry. let this one drop.

Their answer has always been that they would love to put it on Android as well, but that is dependent on how it does on the IPhone. If the game makes money, they will be able to afford to put it more places.

I love androids! As soon as they can put my brain out of my meatbag body into a metal container of doom, I'M TOTALLY DOING IT!

I mean, we're definitely focusing on the ios version of the game first! Then we want to be on more platforms like Android!

Also, speaking of android love, did you guys know The Vision and the Scarlet Witch were married? How..does...that....work?

I love androids! As soon as they can put my brain out of my meatbag body into a metal container of doom, I'M TOTALLY DOING IT!

I mean, we're definitely focusing on the ios version of the game first! Then we want to be on more platforms like Android!

Also, speaking of android love, did you guys know The Vision and the Scarlet Witch were married? How..does...that....work?

Dude Scarlet Witch could rewrite reality as she wished, remember the whole House of M thing?

I just wonder how it took people so long to go "Wait... she and Vision had KIDS?"

Dude Scarlet Witch could rewrite reality as she wished, remember the whole House of M thing?

I just wonder how it took people so long to go "Wait... she and Vision had KIDS?"

I KNOW!!! The kids thing. What the.....

This is what we get for trying to force a release date from you guys, isn't it? This is our punishment.

Edit: I hope you guys didn't take my silly comment seriously, and stopped posting silliness on my account. I feel guilty now. I was only being silly. We love seeing you guys talk about anything.

I really would like an Android version.

But I guess it's again because of the fragmentation.

or... Double Fine don't want my money.

Lol, guys!))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

But everything is possible

and

Doom and Skyrim already on calculators xD

would love my favorite games developer to release this one for Android. Will it happen?

Probably not.

For the same reason Brütal Legend is not on PC/Mac/Wii, Once Upon a Monster is not on Wii/PS3, etc. Budget constraints forces them to focus on particular platforms they believe will have the best returns on investment.

It does not necessarily mean the decision is correct, or that the game is as successful as it could be. I wanted to play Brütal Legend, but was not going to purchase PS3/360 to do so. I was disappointing that it didn't come to PC like Psychonauts.

I am impressed that the Double Fine Adventure will be across many platforms (Linux!) and I hope that is the way forward.

would love my favorite games developer to release this one for Android. Will it happen?

Probably not.

For the same reason Brütal Legend is not on PC/Mac/Wii, Once Upon a Monster is not on Wii/PS3, etc. Budget constraints forces them to focus on particular platforms they believe will have the best returns on investment.

It does not necessarily mean the decision is correct, or that the game is as successful as it could be. I wanted to play Brütal Legend, but was not going to purchase PS3/360 to do so. I was disappointing that it didn't come to PC like Psychonauts.

I am impressed that the Double Fine Adventure will be across many platforms (Linux!) and I hope that is the way forward.

Most of our games weren't available on PC originally, but we've now reached the point where many of them are--and we're hoping to continue in that vein. We're a small company and it takes a decent amount of time, money, and effort to do the ports, but we've got more in the works still! We really want our games to be on as many platforms as possible.

I still have faith that Brutal Legend PC port in works, at least at low priority, and that someday it will suddenly appear on steam, as Stacked and Costume Quest did.

After all i i had faith in Duke Nukem Forever and it came out, but i hope that Brutal Legend will not have me to wait 15 years)))

A Brutal Legend port depends on EA, so don't hold your breath. They wouldn't even let DF release the patch for the PS3 version.

A Brutal Legend port depends on EA, so don't hold your breath. They wouldn't even let DF release the patch for the PS3 version.

While EA still has an iron grip over the patching process on the console versions, DF has the rights to the Brutal Legend IP. The major holding them back from making a PC version is the cost of re-licensing the music.

Just got my android phone, so just as a little carrot dangling, if you do go Android, I'm looking forward to playing this game. :)

Ooo, good to know. That has to be tough, not knowing how much of a market there is for their game PC-wise, and that presumably hefty cost to port it over to PC.

I would see the Brutal Legend PC Port being made for some special re-release edition. Hopefully with enhanced graphics and features.

I'd like to see a similar enhanced re-release of Psychonauts cross platform as well. (For Psychonauts I'd specifically like to see seamless unified over-world, improved textures/shaders/models, and in-engine rendered cut scenes.)

These days it wouldn't be too hard to make cross platform releases of these games including mobile, although adding seamless worlds in mobile may be a little harder. (Distance-loaded zoning could pull it off, so long as the player's SD card is fast enough to handle the stream. It shouldn't be an issue so long as the player has at least a class 4 SD card.)

Back on subject though, I'd love to see Middle Management of Justice for Android.

For some advice Games on Android have traditionally performed better for with games that have both the option of a reasonably-priced ad-free versions and a free ad-paid version. Of course, you should make sure to put in a means to transfer data from the ad-paid version to the ad-free version or you will end up with angry customers. (My preferred method to do this is to simply create a game-data export intent for the game binary. This can also be used to allow future games to integrate with the current one.)

Count me in on an android version as well! Love everything you do!

So! How are those Mac figures doing? Are we looking at an Android release? Any idea of a window for when work on the port might begin / finish?

I'm actually looking at all of this stuff now! The Androids will definitely get some loving soon. Ew...that came out wrong.....

Why do developers continue to target the iPhone first? The share of the market of Android phones > share of the market with iPhones. Tablets are not far behind and may have already been surpassed as well.

Plus IOS is garbage.

Plus IOS is garbage.

Real journalism - fair and balanced.

But anyway, I would guess it's because there's fewer compatibility issues, since there isn't as much variation in hardware etc.

I think there's still a stronger culture of buying stuff for your phone on the iPhone side. But Android is getting there.

I'm actually looking at all of this stuff now! The Androids will definitely get some loving soon. Ew...that came out wrong.....

Wonderful news. Androids need all the loving they can get. Robotically speaking of course.

I would love an Android version of the game, but porting an iOS game for Android seems to be more of a monumental undertaking than you would think. A lot of the reason that many devs don't like to do it boils down to the negative publicity you are going to get from it. No matter what you do, there are going to be Android devices that won't run your game, and the people with those devices are not going to be happy. The more popular the game, the more vocal those "left out" device users get, and the more they post negative reviews on Google Play and the Amazon App Store. I love Android, but I think I can safely say that, like with any other computing device, the majority of its users are simply ignorant as to how it works, and as such very frequently have unrealistic expectations of what that device "should" do. In the end, some companies just don't want to deal with that kind of backlash until they know with some solid level of certainty that they effort and expense is going to pull a profit, and I can't blame them.

Awesome! My Androids are ready for some loving. :P

Seriously though, I hope my Nexus S can handle the game. If not, well it's an old phone so that's that.