Sign in to follow this  
jasondesante

I hope you guys do this

edit: now that the games out and I've played it....its awesome!

I got a thing for intros though. Theres a ton of reading and youre forced through a long intro. Please for your own benefit let people go straight into the gameplay let the tutorial be optional and teach the game through visual hints not by blasting everyone in the face with a load of text.

Like when you click the map see the happy face and the text tells you what it is....your coin total isn't shown on the map, but if you showed the coin total on the map then you would see it increase after clicking the happy face (if the animation showing coins wasn't enough) and that should convey the idea visually instead of pausing the game and showing text.

Sorry for brutal honesty but the ios appstore is also brutal and why is slotmania and slotmania hd both in the top 10 grossing apps almost all the time?

I'm not saying cut corners, but being relentless uncompromising and extremely refined is a necessity.

On top of making the game just start you should have mini games like a slot machine because I have a feeling Double Fine could do a better slot machine than any of those other ridiculous money grab apps.

And on top of that, you'll also have a real game to play!

Great job Double Fine hope you can find a way to the top of those ridiculous app store charts!

edit: now that the games out and I've played it....its awesome!

I got a thing for intros though. Theres a ton of reading and youre forced through a long intro. Please for your own benefit let people go straight into the gameplay let the tutorial be optional and teach the game through visual hints not by blasting everyone in the face with a load of text.

Like when you click the map see the happy face and the text tells you what it is....your coin total isn't shown on the map, but if you showed the coin total on the map then you would see it increase after clicking the happy face (if the animation showing coins wasn't enough) and that should convey the idea visually instead of pausing the game and showing text.

Sorry for brutal honesty but the ios appstore is also brutal and why is slotmania and slotmania hd both in the top 10 grossing apps almost all the time?

I'm not saying cut corners, but being relentless uncompromising and extremely refined is a necessity.

On top of making the game just start you should have mini games like a slot machine because I have a feeling Double Fine could do a better slot machine than any of those other ridiculous money grab apps.

And on top of that, you'll also have a real game to play!

Great job Double Fine hope you can find a way to the top of those ridiculous app store charts!

Thanks! I know the intro is pretty wordy. We're definitely going to be refining it over time. There is a lot to learn up front, we decided to err on the side of being too wordy, but I totally agree that it should be interactive quicker. And yea, the app store is a rough place! We will continue to tune and refine the game post launch, and with the help of fans, make the game better and hopefully make a splash in the store!

Thanks! I know the intro is pretty wordy. We're definitely going to be refining it over time. There is a lot to learn up front, we decided to err on the side of being too wordy, but I totally agree that it should be interactive quicker. And yea, the app store is a rough place! We will continue to tune and refine the game post launch, and with the help of fans, make the game better and hopefully make a splash in the store!

Dammit I wrote a book again.

For all the bad things about Zynga, the bare bones UI, small amount of variables, direct language and instant gratifaction really interested me about "mafia wars" on my ipod....for about a week. It is simple but seems to work very well because of the amount of others that have copied its core mechanics (simpsons, sims free to play, etc), essentially the same thing, but with a few extra layers added, mostly unneeded. The only one I can say I slightly enjoy is the free sims one mostly because it is free, but is still very compromised from the original sims.

Anyways, my honest feelings about MMOJ after playing is that just about everything could take less time. It means compromises in ways, but I feel navigating menus and fighting takes a bit too much time. For something you will be doing again and again, watching the experience bar and all that stuff after every fight with the stamp and all that cool stuff, its awesome, but it takes so long, and adds more taps on the screen.

Comparing this to the bare bones minimalist mafia wars its a menu you click a button to collect some money then you see the timer and you wait some more. On top of that theres many many buttons to click with different timers, you can buy stuff so you get more money after a certain timer is up. Another form of "progression?" they offer is you can buy stuff that are more timers that give more money. Just an endless cycle of pointlessness, all with menus. Its like a hundred Skinner boxes beside and inside each other. The "combat" in that game makes no sense to me, i've won every "fight?" ever in that "game?", its not even worth commenting on because it doesnt even seem like a game feature since you get millions from property and a few thousand from fights. but why would anyone play that anyways. That example is all menu based, and ridiculous to even call a game. But has some noteworthy mind manipulation tricks that are sad but they exist and its kind of a necessity to survive in that ruthless closed garden. Important thing about Mafia Wars is a lot of stuff takes hours right away, and the feedback loop starts off very small, and is always one click. Quick instant feedback, its menu based, but then again all people are caring about are numbers going up anyways.

Those other free games that are doing the same by the book manipulation tricks aren't really offering a game with it at all. They're either long waiting games like the simpsons, or ones where you have to sit there and multitask to end up achieving nothing and moving nothing forward like the sims. It feels insulting to even mention mafia wars because its so ridiculous in its concept. Why would anyone find that enjoyable. I think its because of how fast it happens. You aren't watching a little animation for every click youre just clicking away watching numbers go up. How....exciting......Basically the option for both needs to be essential. (manager mode, movie mode? long drawn mode? i dont know)

Enter Middle Manager Of Justice.

Watching the fights is where its at, but getting into a fight, and out of it should be super quick, its all about that real gameplay, even though youre just watching and clicking some powerups at the right time, its still strategy. The faces on the map that give you coins, the only way to get them is in the map but theres no timers, so its not really visually communicating the small amount of variables in the game directly, just like there is no coin total when viewing the map. I feel this was your stylistic decision, and I totally agree that it feels better the way it is right now. But people sure are dumb, and sadly with iOS I have a feeling that the people that play to the dumbest possible audience are winning the most, with few short lasting exceptions (why isn't beathazard #1?).

I understand that getting millions of coins isnt the point of the game, but maybe considering a little inflation on the "economy", maybe just double all the coin values for everything to give some wiggle room, and have some options to get small amounts of coins for a long period of time in the background. Just some of those menu based pointless things that will satisfy a certain unnamed audience, that just want to look at pretty pictures and press buttons while having a quick feedback loop. What happens to the heroes when they arent at work? What if you could background manage them (turn this into a mini mafia wars, it would totally help, and maybe could fit in with the design since you could attach it to what the extra heroes are doing when not equipped to work). Another thing about the heroes, if you get a pack of 3 "cards" in a booster pack of heroes, why when you pick one of them, the other 2 just disappear, I want my cards back! :P But yea I was just thinkin if it was 3 job applications and then you threw the other 2 out it would make sense, but if I bought 3 cards why would I ever throw the other 2 out, right?

I never knew when training a hero's intelligence it would also use the middle manager, so I had him doing something else then trained a hero, and then it just started training him. Then I promoted another guy and both of them stopped to just stand around and congratulate the promoted dude. I understand that its cool and makes sense in that cute fictional world for them to do that, but the characters walk through other beds to to go bed, and dont walk to the promotion they warp there. It could be awesome but if you clicked promote and all it did was move a number up, I'm sure 99% of people would feel absolutely fine about that. And if you couldnt do something because it required 2 people and the other was busy instead of taking control of what the other person was doing without displaying a message telling you what happened (now theres a good opportunity to display a message to teach a bit about the game)

If there was a menu/hud to interact with as an option on top of clicking the heroes it would probably make doing a lot of stuff a lot faster and make looking at information a little easier. The text is huge but the people are pretty small, you could probably fit in some of that essential information at all times somewhere on the screen without taking away from anything thats already there.

About the tutorial maybe have it in the options to let you start the tutorial if you want, and if not the first time anything WRONG happens, maybe explaining what happened would be cool, but I bet if someone starts playing the first time and sees no message but starts winning and keeps playing, I have a feeling they understand the concept and are enjoying the game. So letting someone just go right in might be a nice way to test the competence of the player instead of right off the bat assuming the person cares about the world of the game. Who enjoys the cutscenes in angry birds?

Sorry for writing so much, I'm going to go play 5 times as much time in MMOJ than I spent writing this post as a penance for this sinful self indulgent post. please take it all with a grain of salt