Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
doccolinni

Donating to Double Fine

Hi, everyone.

Back when the DFA Kickstarter campaign was going on, I never managed to make it work for me, I don't remember what was going wrong or how but I had a lot going on in real life at the time so I gave up on trying to make it work and didn't pledge as a backer even though I love adventure games and everything that Tim Schafer has touched or looked at.

But I did pay via PayPal and became a slacker backer (as evidenced from me being in these parts of the forum), but I want to give more than 15$ without technically buying the game more than once. However, I can't find a way to give a custom amount to Double Fine, nor a way to do it without buying the game (the only way I can find to give money to Double Fine is via the PayPal link on this page, but I'm pretty sure that's meant for DFA purchases, which I already did). Is there a way I could do that?

I feel I should mention I'm sort of a "PayPal noob", in that I could easily be missing something obvious.

As far as I know there is no way to go beyond $15. I'm sure that somewhere DF said that you can support them by buying a T-Shirt or something.

If you are not looking to buy something but rather donate money, perhaps consider groups with various causes who would happily receive donations. :)

Just buy something from their shop or buy some of their other games (particularly their self-published titles on Steam if you want them to get the most out of a sale) if you want to support Double Fine further.

Just buy something from their shop or buy some of their other games (particularly their self-published titles on Steam if you want them to get the most out of a sale) if you want to support Double Fine further.

I already have all of their games on Steam (except Psychonauts, which I have on GOG), and I really just wanted to give them some more money for DFA but I will see if I can find something in their store.

Ooh, I could buy Psychonauts soundtracks! That's digital download, right? So they don't have to mess around with shipping.

If you are not looking to buy something but rather donate money, perhaps consider groups with various causes who would happily receive donations. :)

Absolutely this.

We get all these 'please take even more of my money' threads for a game that shouldn't need it when there are people whose very survival could depend on a single dollar!

DF should have enough money at this point for the game they have planned. If not, well... they should have planned better.

And I'm not saying 'don't buy games, give it all to charity' but there's a limit: if someone doesn't even ask for more money, offering it anyway only encourages greed while denying it from someone who could really use it.

I can fully understand wanting to give money to those who are productive with it. Giving to charity doesn't satisfy the same emotional need.

Giving away how much you want is "the new economy". Whether it's on Kickstarter or when buying bundles, it gives people who want to show their support and appreciation a way to do that. There's nothing bad with that, and with larger online stores such as GamersGate and GOG going that way, it shows that this is a model that works.

You people are presuming that I don't already give to charity.

I'm not randomly deciding "ooh, I've got some extra money, might as well give it to Double Fine", I've actually got a good emotional reason for it, but since it doesn't seem doable at the moment I guess I will have to be satisfied with the 15$ I gave for DFA.

I can fully understand wanting to give money to those who are productive with it. Giving to charity doesn't satisfy the same emotional need.

Giving away how much you want is "the new economy". Whether it's on Kickstarter or when buying bundles, it gives people who want to show their support and appreciation a way to do that. There's nothing bad with that, and with larger online stores such as GamersGate and GOG going that way, it shows that this is a model that works.

Bundles give a good part of their earnings to charity ;)

Look, there are ways to show appreciation without handing over money they don't ask for. Here's an idea: when you want to give someone a gift, gift them a DF game. Win-win, you give more to DF while spreading the word too and you don't give them charity.

Those who are productive with their money should be capable of making a profit by selling what they produce at the right price. But nothing indicates that this game won't make it on its own. To be a patron all its required at this point is $15.

The model woks because people go gung-ho and throw around money without considering the proper price of things or the consequences. Such attitude hasn't worked wonders for the global economy either.

...It's not digital download.

Gawd dangit.

Oh well.

You can buy both Psychoanuts soundtracks through Steam. That's a digital version of it.

Though I think that the soundtracks are considered DLC (because soundtracks are a recent addition that were sort of shoehorned in and Steam itself doesn't know the difference) so you have to have Psychonauts on Steam to be able to buy the soundtracks as well.

money they don't ask for

Not according to everything Tim said in this update, I will say that much.

As I said, I have a perfectly valid reason for wanting to give them more money.

As I said, I have a perfectly valid reason for wanting to give them more money.

Ok then. I thought you just wanted to invest more in this project. If you have your own unrelated reasons for giving them money they are no concern of ours but it should be easy enough to do it: send them an email to arrange it, maybe ask for bank account details, or just mail them a check or something.

Ok then. I thought you just wanted to invest more in this project.

Well, I certainly would have liked to have managed to participate in the Kickstarter campaign because I would've given them much more than 15$, but that is a separate matter.

If you have your own unrelated reasons for giving them money they are no concern of ours but it should be easy enough to do it: send them an email to arrange it, maybe ask for bank account details, or just mail them a check or something.

Hm, I'll see about that. I'm living outside USA so I can't send them a check, the simplest way to arrange it would pretty much be just paying via PayPal directly to them.

Does PM-ing Tim on this forum sound like a... viable contact option?

No one suggested you don't give to charity (frankly, I couldn't care less even if you didn't), just that you might want to consider that if your money is weighing down on you, there are groups who are actually asking for it more than these guys.

There are people who bought the same game several times, you could also gift this to someone, including Reds. PM Chris if you'd like to gift Slacker Backer to one or more of your friends.

Bundles give a good part of their earnings to charity ;)

Bundles give a small or user selectable part of their earnings to charity, true. It's there because it does serve an emotional purpose for some people.

The model woks because people go gung-ho and throw around money without considering the proper price of things or the consequences. Such attitude hasn't worked wonders for the global economy either.

Did you go gung-ho when you pledged? And of course people consider the consequences. One consequence is that the developers will get a lot of money, which they'll likely put towards developing more great games. Another is that there will be more projects / bundles.

I would be interested in an explanation of your comment about global economy. How is that related to the "pay what you want" model, which far as I know isn't used much outside bundles and crowd funding.

Hi, everyone.

Back when the DFA Kickstarter campaign was going on, I never managed to make it work for me, I don't remember what was going wrong or how but I had a lot going on in real life at the time so I gave up on trying to make it work and didn't pledge as a backer even though I love adventure games and everything that Tim Schafer has touched or looked at.

But I did pay via PayPal and became a slacker backer (as evidenced from me being in these parts of the forum), but I want to give more than 15$ without technically buying the game more than once. However, I can't find a way to give a custom amount to Double Fine, nor a way to do it without buying the game (the only way I can find to give money to Double Fine is via the PayPal link on this page, but I'm pretty sure that's meant for DFA purchases, which I already did). Is there a way I could do that?

I feel I should mention I'm sort of a "PayPal noob", in that I could easily be missing something obvious.

You can gift a slacker backer account to someone else. This is great because you can give Double Fine more for the cause while introducing someone new to the community and upcoming game.

Why are people moaning here of you shlould charity bla bla bla... he puts money wherever he likes best, as the rest of us. The same way you feel free to change the topic from "I want to give money to DF" to "You shouldn't give it to DF because they already have enough", he feels free to give his money to whoever he likes best, eventhough to the richest of the richest.

I personaly don't care at all if the author of this topic gives or has ever given money to charity, but I'm very proud of him to back not only a DF game but also the whole company and I also feel, like he does, that DF totally deserves it for everything they represent.

P.D. It's hard to believe that a person like this has never given to charity.

No one suggested you don't give to charity (frankly, I couldn't care less even if you didn't), just that you might want to consider that if your money is weighing down on you, there are groups who are actually asking for it more than these guys.

There are people who bought the same game several times, you could also gift this to someone, including Reds. PM Chris if you'd like to gift Slacker Backer to one or more of your friends.

I couldn't agree less with you, No one suggested? You have, and twice.

Buying a game several times? and then what, garbage waste? e-garbage waste?

Have you ever thought that if you give this games to other people you take away potential purchases?

Now try to give an answer to this questions without exposing yourself even more, which on the other hand would be very funny. :lol:

Now try to give an answer to this questions without exposing yourself even more, which on the other hand would be very funny. :lol:

While waiting for gsm I think I'll take this challenge...just for kicks.

Quite literally no one suggested that.

If you told me you were hungry I would advise you to eat something. It might have been pointlessly obvious but I would certainly not be suggesting that you generally never eat!

Yes, so? DF will get your money, e-garbage doesn't pollute and you won't be denying anyone a copy of the game either.

Have you ever thought that if you give this games to other people you take away potential purchases?

Have you ever thought that by gifting a game to people that are unfamiliar with its developers has a chance of them enjoying it enough to make them more likely to purchase more games from that developer, therefore increasing potential purchases?

(By the way ET3D, I admit I started it, but I don't think it's a good idea to start a discussion about politics, so I think it's best if I don't reply.)

I think Obscure's answer covers most of what I would have to say.

But really the absolutely most important question is how do we eliminate this e-garbage waste problem you mentioned?

I remember that not too long ago someone twitted to Tim that they purchased Psychonauts six times and got six "thank you" in return. Really makes me mad now that I know of e-waste's existence that Tim would waste so much space on repeating words like that and in doing so encourage people to be so e-irresponsible.

P.S. There's a pixel hunting game on Tim's avatar tongue to donate money to DF

I missed out on the Kickstarter as well, so I'm just wondering if anyone knows how us Slacker Backer's will be getting the game when it comes out. Are they going to email us?

I missed out on the Kickstarter as well, so I'm just wondering if anyone knows how us Slacker Backer's will be getting the game when it comes out. Are they going to email us?

They have all of our emails via Paypal address for method of communication. When it comes out, the world will know. You wont miss it.

http://www.humblebundle.com/double-fine#contribute

Amnesia Fortnight. Give them as much as you want. It goes to Double Fine. You have 15 hours, so you have to act promptly.

Sign in to follow this