Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Elum

TV interview with Tim Schafer from 1996

I hope you will not kill me for this, but I'd like to share with you the link to an old TV interview with Tim Schafer that I've found some time ago (searching through Archive.org archives). The interview is from 1996, so it is mainly about Full Throttle (which was released in 1995 of course):

nzLgcTZdnq0

Interesting interview, in my opinion (even though the interviewer seems rather uninterested). By the way, I wonder if there were any similar interviews from the Day of the Tentacle or Grim Fandango period. :)

You can just see in Tim's face that these questions are asinine, and he has no idea how to answer them. That guy was irritating as hell.

I don't know what you're talking about. This guy clearly knows his stuff. I too want to know what Tim is going to do to "screw up those kids."

Well, you can't expect too much from a guy who doesn't see the difference between adventure game and role playng game. Still, I think it could've been worse.

Well, you can't expect too much from a guy who doesn't see the difference between adventure game and role playng game. Still, I think it could've been worse.

Oh no don't take it negatively. The vid was great to watch, thanks for posting it. But man... that interviewer.

I guess in '96 very few people knew much about games.

Yeah. I enjoyed watching the video. The interviewer was just asking some really awful questions, and asking them in this smug, I'm in charge way, that made me want to slap him. Beyond that it was great!

That interviewer doesn't seem to have a clue of what adventure games are- or could even imagine. I'm guessing that interviewer went on to become an exec at a big game publisher?

I admire his patience.

"What is it you are trying to do? Is it better graphics, better sound, better interface? What's the sort-of holy grail of gamers?"

I died a little on the inside.

Ha ha oh man. I was so nervous!

I think I know now what when wrong in the adventure game market: I was terrible at selling them. :)

I don't know if I'm any better at interviews now, but I'm definitely a little less worried.

What I really want to know is why is my name "tim_schafer"?

I guess in '96 very few people knew much about games.

That's what you would think, but consider that games used to be big way before that, Mario, Sonic, Zelda, they all pre-date this, so does the Atari 2600, the C64, the ZX Spectrum, and many more. There was so much gaming going on way before that, and there where tons of magazines on the topic too. I know it never was as mainstreamy as today, but it not like there was no information on the topic, so people couldn't prepare. That interview apparently ran on PBS, which isn't exactly small either, and the guy (Stewart Cheifet), apparently was involved in another show called Computer Chronicles before that, so i really don't get why he does what he does there.

Well, enough of that, i actually enjoyed watching it. Things like that are ridiculous, and that's what makes them fun in a strange way. xD

I wonder who makes Tim's avatars.

Ha ha oh man. I was so nervous!

I think I know now what when wrong in the adventure game market: I was terrible at selling them. :)

I don't know if I'm any better at interviews now, but I'm definitely a little less worried.

What I really want to know is why is my name "tim_schafer"?

That's because computers.

I don't think that interviewer was bad at all, except for his hair. He gave me lots of openings to sell the heck out of my game, but I was too worried about his exact question to go for it. Pre-media training!

And my avatar was drawn by Len Peralta for his Geek A Week Card collection.

TIM_F.jpg!

And my avatar was drawn by Len Peralta for his Geek A Week Card collection.

Daw, now i feel sorry for ripping on the guy. :/ Well, that picture actually made me laugh! xD How didn't i know about that? Thanks for the link! <3

Haha, wow. This is like watching Tim get interviewed by somebody's grandpa.

"So when you kids play all these thingimawhatsits... these video games... do you pick just one wholesome family value to destroy per game, or do you make a whole list of values and morals to destroy? Describe your process of corrupting the youth."

"Well... uh..."

"What makes one of these successful anyway? Seriously. I literally don't understand the concepts of entertainment or human joy. Explain them to me. Concisely."

"Uh..."

"You said you play it on a computer, right? How exactly does a computer work?"

"Uh..."

"How are your grades? Have you been doing your chores?"

Computer Chronicles!

I loved this show!!!!!

I watched it every week hoping for interviews with game designers, especially the adventure ones.

"So when you kids play all these thingimawhatsits... these video games... do you pick just one wholesome family value to destroy per game, or do you make a whole list of values and morals to destroy? Describe your process of corrupting the youth."

"Well... uh..."

"What makes one of these successful anyway? Seriously. I literally don't understand the concepts of entertainment or human joy. Explain them to me. Concisely."

"Uh..."

"You said you play it on a computer, right? How exactly does a computer work?"

"Uh..."

"How are your grades? Have you been doing your chores?"

It's just like...prom night... on waiting for his girlfriend, Tim first met her father ... only without suits, rustic furniture and limos.

Also the amazing game Psychonauts

BBNWh21qemM

You know, it's honestly really awesome to see these old interviews with Tim. To see the humble beginnings of a guy I look up to as one of the best video game creators of all time. I can't wait to see more from Tim and Double Fine.

After seeing these interviews, I think we can all agree that the transition to flatscreens and black/silver instead of beige truly was God's gift to humanity.

Anyway I think Tim answered the questions really well and introduced the plot and adventure games in general in an easy to understand way.

I don't know what you're talking about. This guy clearly knows his stuff. I too want to know what Tim is going to do to "screw up those kids."

Haha, that question made me laugh when it came up.

And get off my lawn!

Any of you watched the Minecraft Documentary? Got it in the Mail just recently, contains quite a nice interview with Tim. :)

Sign in to follow this