Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 6: That Bagel Filter Thing

I am really enjoying this documentary--maybe more so than I will like the game.

I feel the same way, although the little peeks of the game we have seen so far look beautiful so I expect that I will love the game, too.

2PP have been doing such an excellent job on the doc that I'm surprised to realize that I'm actually going to be sad when it's over and we don't get to peek into the DF offices anymore. I think they're just going to have to do a documentary about every game that DF makes from now on, that's all... ;)

Wow this episode seemed like a huge jump from the last one. The game is looking gorgeous and artistically unique.

But I found myself thinking...the game needs more Ron, before its all done. Tim had a ton of the puzzles done already on paper in this episode! We were promised Ron in the pitch video.

Dude, can we cut down on the swearing?

Might be hard to do.

It's a group of adults working in a stressful situation solving complicated problems.

What did you expect?

This ain't an elementary school classroom.

In fact, I've heard worse on elementary school playgrounds.

I agree. I made a joke about the swearing on page 2 which might have implied that I thought it was excessive, but really I just thought it was funny how Scott seemed so worried about it but Lee and Bagel were totally chill.

I actually think the swearing is just fine, and I even enjoy it. Not like in an immature "hehe he said an f word" sort of way, but in the sense that this is how real adults really talk, and the conversations in the video that contained swearing seemed like some of the most genuine conversations to me and I felt like I was more of a fly on the wall watching real people doing real work and less like watching people talk to a camera.

So I'm not requesting that anyone should keep swearing or stop swearing. But I am requesting that everyone involved just keep talking exactly like they normally would. Documentaries are about the truth. Even PBS didn't bleep the swearing on its blues documentary, because if you're making a documentary about someone, you show what they're like. That's sort of the point.

"... there's no publisher fuckin' us in the ass over it" Exactly, that's what we backed this thing for.

Yeah totally. I am very excited to see what a proven creative group of people can come up with without the pressure a publisher puts on.

Great job crafting the story too, 2 Player Productions. Very nice craftwork piecing together pertinent parts and leaving in things that are interesting/intriguing.

Awesome episode.

Btw be careful about spoilers, notes of the whiteboard are 100% readable at certain points.

Only if you pause it and squint. Don't pause! Don't squint!

clockwork_big.jpg

Video: [Marius talking]

Me: Hey, I understood that ! It's english !

Any fansub (even in english) ?

Joking aside: the rest not impossible to understand, but working daily in english with co-workers natively speaking japanese, polish, portuguese, bulgarian, german, chinese and spanish co-workers (my mother language being french), I didn't expect to have to really concentrate to understand spoken (american) english.

I think they're just going to have to do a documentary about every game that DF makes from now on, that's all... ;)

I second this notion.

Yeah, you can't expect people in high tension situations not to swear.

Great episode! every time I'm watching one of these I just wanna finish my studies already and start working on a game, this is truly a dream job :)

I'm enjoying the exponential increase in cursing with every episode. :)

Are you guys going to be live-blogging Amnesia Fortnight? That would be the coolest thing ever!

We're not sure how AF is going to work from a public standpoint, but we're tossing some ideas around. It's always been a private event in the past, but who knows!

Would making it public interfere with the chances of Publishers picking up some of the projects?

Great episode! It might just be me, but has anyone noticed that the team members all seem more relaxed around the cameras? Got used to having them around maybe? May explain the heightened swear count! :P

Might we seem more of the programmers in future episodes? The videos are great fun every time, but as a programmer myself I'd really hoped that I'd get to see the engine's code-base take shape, and all we ever seem to see are the artists. I can understand the hesitation:

1. Code translate less well into video,

2. Programmers tend to be less charismatic,

3. Artists tend to breed exciting drama,

Even so, I find it unfair that this half of the team, just as talented, should never be given a voice. We had a journalist come and report one of other the group's at the Paris "Global Game Jam 2012" event: their game wasn't finished, their team fell apart... according to the designers and artists it was all the programmers' fault. The report didn't give the programmers a chance to defend themselves.

Might we seem more of the programmers in future episodes? The videos are great fun every time, but as a programmer myself I'd really hoped that I'd get to see the engine's code-base take shape, and all we ever seem to see are the artists. I can understand the hesitation:

Well we got to see what Brendan has been working on which was pretty cool. But yeah I agree they haven't really been on-screen much since episode 2 when they introduced them. But on the other hand the programmers have done quite a few posts on the forums detailing what they're up to. I'm sure we'll get a couple of more side quests for them at some point! :)

Well we got to see what Nathan has been working on which was pretty cool. But yeah I agree they haven't really been on-screen much since episode 2 when they introduced them. But on the other hand the programmers have done quite a few posts on the forums detailing what they're up to. I'm sure we'll get a couple of more side quests for them at some point! :)

Yes, I don't know if you've had a chance to browse the forums much but there are lots of posts by the programmers here that go into lots of details :)

You know, every time I watch these episodes I feel really sad and depressed, because I wish I could be there and work on a videogame just like that, and at the same time I feel like there's no way I could possibly make it.

I feel the complete opposite. Inspired, refreshed and highly motivated. I'm amazed at how powerful these episodes are and the positive impact that they have on me.

Awesome episode.

Btw be careful about spoilers, notes of the whiteboard are 100% readable at certain points.

Only if you pause it and squint. Don't pause! Don't squint!

Haha, im totally not doing that, dont worry. I dont want any game from you guys spoiled!.. :D

I also do feel encouraged and inspired, because it's a dream like project and I love to see all the people want to do their best because they love what they do, and not because they are told to or forced to do so. But they are all working together and everybody tries to put something of their "own" into the game.

I've been working at few game studios before and from my experience creative input like that was always smashed on sight, by the studio's head or publishers. It's very heart-warming to see that such a company may exist and people are so enthusiastic about their work. I went into this industry because I love games. I am playing games since Atari 2600 and I have always wanted to create some by myself. But years of working in the "biz" showed me it's not so easy to do, and video game production isn't aimed at creativity but rather at meeting the deadlines at all costs without any respect for the people who actually make those games.

Watching those videos shows that you can create and run a team of creative and happy people working together to create something outstanding that have never been done before, with Tim aiming to get the best out of everybody by respecting their ideas and providing the best environment for each individual to work in. Seeing all of this great work gives me strength to go on.

Congrats to Majus!

If I had known he would join the team, I would have backed double the amount.^^

13:55 - Presidents who have been assassinated: Abraham Lincoln, James A. Garfield, William McKinley, and John F. Kennedy. Tim’s involvement remains a mystery.

Awesome.

We're seeing something I've heard about Tim's style, which is to refine the details for a long while until he feels they're right. And also forcefully changing course on the design of something if he feels it's not right.

It's the project leader's (and, like, company founder's) right, of course, but insight you don't really get from interviews.

Great episode! Looking forward to seeing what comes out of Amnesia Fortnight 2012, too.

On a side-note, why is it that every time I go out drinking, there's a new episode waiting to be watched the next day when I'm in bed, barely existing?

Tee hee.

I love Scott's uncannily accurate impression of Bagel at around the 18:30 mark.

He's got the accent and the mannerisms down perfectly.

Haven't read the previous posts.. so I'm not sure if people have talked about this..

But the whole Bagel-influence thing -- Man, that's just a downer... and I'm really confused how/why things proceeded so far along before we had this sudden "he's only a colorist-texture" guy now revelation today... Rather than the art-concept-leader stuff that is clearly more of a key to capturing his work/personality. I appreciate that we're watching this unfold in real-time, but it does seem somewhat the opposite approach to take in trying to capture his style.... I mean, surely some of you other backers noticed this issue coming a few videos ago? Maybe the DF team needs to make sure they're watching them, too?

I personally really like his work, and would much rather see the humor and surreal qualities of his work come through in the game, and have the rest of the team do their best to fake the "look" when producing the final textures/coloring. It sounds like a nightmare to have to paint the "pretty cloud world" that is the opposite of anything he would design, while everyone's saying it's based on his art.

Since there's been an emphasis on his art guiding the vision for the game from the beginning of the Kickstarter, I hope he's happy with the result, or would feel comfortable telling people to stop constantly calling this "a game in his style".. It's a fascinating idea to make a game in a particular artists style, but the logistics of doing that weren't really thought out -- maybe scrap the idea this time around.

I think it'd probably be more satisfying to Bagel, and people that are hoping to see his work come to life, to have him wholly design/paint a particular area of the world... rather than this mess that seems to be causing tension/confusion amongst all the artists.

Great update, overall -- thanks.

Well thought. I was wondering the same thing from the very beginning. Who are all these people doing concepts? What exactly is Bagel going to do?

Now it turns out, he's painting other people's ideas. I understand he's frustrated.

Awesome episode overall. It made me smile a few times. My "Biggest weird smile while looking at my computer" award goes to..... The cutscene with the sacrifice girl flying towards the cloud-nest-village-thingy. That was heart-warming.

Is Marius really leaving already? Ouch.

Things I'm looking forward to see in the next episode: updates on Oliver's (and other programmers') work, art concepts created and painted by Bagel, quadrimensional Rubik's cubes.

And for God's sake, give those women fake beards. They can't work at DF without awesome beards.

hair-life-of-brian-beards.jpg

I think it's important to acknowledge, though, that it's not like Bagel was getting jerked around or anything. Everyone is really focused on applying their own unique talents to make the game special in their own way, and because of that focus they probably just didn't realize what was happening. But once Bagel said something, it immediately clicked with everyone and they tried to come up with a resolution. Teamwork magic. It just goes to show you how important the frequent meetings/standups are.

Sign in to follow this