Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 6: That Bagel Filter Thing

The first concept of Sacrifice Girl's theme reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on what. Perhaps Thomas Newman's score for "A Series of Unfortunate Events", but I'm not certain. If it was something from Grim Fandango, I think I'd probably remember. (I'm surprised the laser never burned a hole through that soundtrack CD.)

Call this wrong or whatever, but I'm actually more excited about seeing the latest video update than the actual game itself.

This has never happened before. Help?

I liked how Bagel brought up his concerns. They were valid and it was best to express them earlier rather than later.

Glad to see everyone reasonable and fair-minded. Of course, the fist fights could be happening off screen without us knowing!

Stand-up work as always 2PP. And for Double Fine, you're looking fine. Mmmmhmm.

Smiles

The docs are getting better and better as we get into the meat of production. Love it.

This episode completely encapsulates what's so great about this project's open documentary style. Not only are we seeing some amazing progress on the game (far more than you'd ever see on any publisher-lead game at this point of development), but we're also getting a really unique insight into the problems. For instance, when Tim first pitched the idea of basing the game on Bagel's art, I never for a moment thought of the complications that could arise from that.

Learning this sort of thing makes me really glad I backed. And on top of it all the visuals we've seen and concept music is absolutely beautiful.

Super agreed. It's a really interesting, invaluable insight to the development process. It's all about recognising problems or weaknesses so you can fix them and having the confidence in your own abilities and team that things will work out.

Also great to see Marius apply himself so well also, way to go dude!

"Over Skype it's hard to talk about how you're feeling" sounds like Cabbage Boy's killer followup to Girlfriend.

OooOOoOoOOOOO

Your emotions are like an onion I'm peeling

It's hard to Skype about these feelings I'm feeling!

Try Google hang out

But she won't put out

I feel like I'm in Hell

I'm dying for some i r l

oOOoooOo Kabbage Boy what what OOoOOOO...

By the way, is DoubleFine sponsored by the guys who made Limbo? I think I've seen Limbo posters and t-shirts in just about every episode :)

They came buy for a visit a while back and left an awesome care package of shirts & stuff. Playdead are the best. I'm a huge Limbo fan.

You know, the way Tim talks about the puzzles at around 14 minutes sure does make it sound like the puzzles will only have one solution. That'll be disappointing if that's the case

I guarantee all puzzles will have at least one solution!

Where did Tim get that sweet Rubik's cube made of colored plastic instead of black with stickers? I want one.

For that matter, how many twisty Rubik's-y puzzled does Tim HAVE? There's there's that one shot where he's got like seven piled up on his desk.

Dayan 4 LunHui 3x3x3 Stickerless Speed Cube!!!

31CgSTntQdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

My favorite cube of all time I think. Stickerless makes all the difference!

I do have a bunch...

Dude, can we cut down on the swearing?

Might be hard to do.

It's a group of adults working in a stressful situation solving complicated problems.

What did you expect?

This ain't an elementary school classroom.

In fact, I've heard worse on elementary school playgrounds.

I really love this documentary and how much each episode has offered. The art style is so beautiful as of now but the Bagel feel isn't there and if Bagel is starting to do concepts then that's really great and I can't wait to see what he has to present.

You know, every time I watch these episodes I feel really sad and depressed, because I wish I could be there and work on a videogame just like that, and at the same time I feel like there's no way I could possibly make it.

NO! Don't give up on your dreams! You can do it!

Outstanding ep! I think both Tim and Bagel are in agreement about getting more of his style into the game- Bagel needs to be part of the decision making about the characters looks and designs or it's not going to be his style which is what Tim wants. I think all the artists have done a fantastic job with the concept art. For those not familiar with this- concept art is to inspire and give ideas. The styles in it are not necessarily the one used in the actual production but they help experiment with the mood, look, and feel of what will be used. For example, most all Pixar collector's edition movie sets come with concept art from the early stages of production. If you take a look at them- they are all beautifully done and created by super talented artists; but they range in many different styles. The creators then choose what they like from this concept art- even specific aspects of certain artwork- to incorporate into the film. The concept art may even be graphic art logos and posters that you would see from that world.

Anyhow- point is- the combination of the brilliant concept art from Double Fine's finest, crafted into Bagel's style, and rendered by the talented team of Reds will be simply magnificent!

And keep up the swearing- we want reality, not some rehearsed television show!

I'm really glad Marius is having such a huge impact on the project (and a huge impression on Tim).

Marius - don't worry about school. What looks better on your resume: a degree from some school, or a credit on one (or more) of Double Fine's games?

The one downside is that Marius will not be able to experience Reds as a game without already knowing everything that happens.

Having said that - we're in a similar boat. I feel like I already know the solution to the maidenfeast puzzle.

I'm really glad Marius is having such a huge impact on the project (and a huge impression on Tim).

Marius - don't worry about school. What looks better on your resume: a degree from some school, or a credit on one (or more) of Double Fine's games?

The one downside is that Marius will not be able to experience Reds as a game without already knowing everything that happens.

Having said that - we're in a similar boat. I feel like I already know the solution to the maidenfeast puzzle.

Marius is already leaving. On Twitter particularly Anna tweeted about his fairwell.

I am really enjoying this documentary--maybe more so than I will like the game.

The best part of this documentary is watching artists try to tell other artists that their work needs to change. There's a mandatory 2-second pause with head bobbing, mouth holding and hand wringing while any negative critique is sugar-coated. You need their work but they can crumble if not handled properly. It is a tight-rope of creative feedback with a really small net.

Okay that episode was awesome, and I'm looking forward to seeing where things head... but!...

Should I/we/Tim be scared that he's able to just come up with random um... BubblegumPop-Kore? lyrics like that from a random reference at the drop of the hat?

What does this say about Tim's mind? Wait, he's still using the Rat Finkesque drawing of himself from that Kickstarter Video Game Creator Gard series as an avatar, so we know Tim's mind... or do we?

Could Kabbage Boy be Spaceboy's favorite band in the future? DUH... it's everyone's favorite band... that tragic death made them legends.

Stickerless makes all the difference!

Stickerless means you can't cheat though. Not interested if I can't cheat 'ol Rubix. Have never been able to solve the cube, ever, and I don't think success will strike me any time soon.

Far be it from me to make my first post a downer, and I'll preface this by saying the documentary has been fantastic--but I really hope that the walking animation we saw isn't anything like what we'll see in the final game. It looked very out of place next to the beautiful art.

Awesome episode.

Btw be careful about spoilers, notes of the whiteboard are 100% readable at certain points.

If that is the final design of Sacrifice Girl than I am very much looking forward to seeing her fleshed out some more in the finished game. I really like the color choice of making her darker skinned. Makes for a unique heroine to play.

Great application game by Marius. So much fun and a neat way to beg for a job.

Great episode.

I don't really have much to add. Keep up the good work and have fun doing it(both DF & 2PP).

Loved how the last shot panned over to the brick wall for the credits.

I've been meaning to say how much I love the theme song for the documentary.

I bet one of the toughest parts of game development is the point between pre-production & seeing the game mechanics/art as it will be in the full game, for the 1st time.

Another awesome episode :D I didn't know that the original idea for the game (when the kickstarter began) was to make a retro style (like DOTT, according to Bagel) adventure game. That would've been neat but, the expanded vision of the game is pretty damn awesome :D

Stickerless means you can't cheat though. Not interested if I can't cheat 'ol Rubix. Have never been able to solve the cube, ever, and I don't think success will strike me any time soon.

There are a hundred tutorials on how to do it on youtube! No excuse!

Ouch :(

I just moved to China to live and vimeo here is blocked :( Is there any option of getting a download link?

Thanks anyway ;)

Awesome episode.

Btw be careful about spoilers, notes of the whiteboard are 100% readable at certain points.

Only if you pause it and squint. Don't pause! Don't squint!

I'm slightly bummed that we've ended up with a different sacrifice girl than the one I expected and preferred.

(I voted for the same one that Mini-Schafer voted for... the one with the long braid.) But I'll recover.

I'm happiest just seeing/listening to everyone at DF and watching things evolve. Super exciting. =-)

I'm learning more from this than I ever imagined I would. And I still feel like I'm a part of it.

There are a hundred tutorials on how to do it on youtube! No excuse!

Awwww... well, people might use youtube if you make your puzzles too difficult. That would be a shame. Must. Resist. Temptation. Temptation resisted already. In short, looking forward to your whacky puzzles.

Btw Tim, how much budget went into foruming :)

Sign in to follow this