Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Milkman

Art of Brutal Legend Coming Out... When?

I've just ordered it on amazon.co.uk and I can see following information for it now:

Dispatch Estimate Tuesday 19 Mar 2013 - Tuesday 2 April 2013

Item page has different date at publisher line though.

Publisher: Udon Entertainment (9 July 2013)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Brutal-Legend-Scott-Campbell/dp/1926778642/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362780048&sr=8-1

Good thing is that after counting VAT to price it got above 25 GBP and I've got free shipping to Poland. :) Otherwise it would be cheaper to get it from amazon.com ($37.38 with cheapest shipping).

http://www.amazon.com/The-Brutal-Legend-Daniel-Bukszpan/dp/1926778642/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362780013&sr=8-1

I´m awaiting for the book since the game was released, so three months more are not a really big problem. But who knows when the artbook will be in my shelf. In Amazon the release date is July, but in the Udon web appears in February. Awesome.

Hope that this will be the last delay.

Hey, hope it's okay if I pop onto this thread to answer some questions - I'm Stacy, I work with UDON, and I am SUPER excited about The Art of Brutal Legend finally being available. I honestly think it's the most amazing art book we've printed so far, and hopefully you folks will feel it was worth the wait :)

We're expecting books to be in stores and shipping through Amazon etc in the next 2-3 weeks. We had a bit of a shipping delay with US customs but the books are now on their way to our distributor and we're hoping the last of the problems is behind us. If anyone's going to be at PAX East, we expect to have copies there as well, at both the Double Fine & UDON booths.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Will DF be getting their copies from the same distributor, and thus around the same timeframe as the stores, or will they get them in advance?

Good question... unfortunately, the person who knows the answer is currently on a plane to Japan :D

I *think* the books are being shipped a bit earlier to DF but let me check and make sure.

Awesome, awesome, awesome! Thanks so much Stacy for popping in to clear everything up. I'm not an artbook buyer but the Brutal Legend artbook has been something I've wanted sense it was announced damn near 3 years ago and I'm so glad to UDON for finally bringing it to us!

Sweetness!

I've also wanted to buy the book since before it was first canceled. I've very rarely bought any art books either, but the world of BL would not be one I'd want to miss out on. I'm an artist myself so I'm pretty stoked at watching the concepts and see how the elements took form.

Thank you for clearing this up, Stacy. I thought for sure it was about to be canceled again... i'm glad to see there won't be that much of a delay, though I'm sure as hell not placing any money on my order until the light-shy, elusive damn thing is actually released xD

Is there any difference between book available in DF shop and on amazon?

Ogoor: the version sold by DF will be signed by Tim Schafer (!!) and comes with an exclusive slipcover that isn't available at most other retailers. Plus, we just generally encourage people to buy direct from DF to help support them!

Noble Psychomaster: I know your pain; I've been wanting this book since I had a chance to hear Scott C talk about developing the game art at a conference a few years back, which was way before UDON got involved at all. I swear it is real, though. See my profile photo for proof!

Thanks Stacy for fast reply. I thought it is the same one, that's why I decided to buy it on Amazon. I need to rethink that now. I can still cancel order on Amazon. :)

edit:

I've decided to cancel it and order directly from DF. Thanks again. :)

Stacy, thanks for helping clear things up. I was on the fence about ordering this but I might end up getting a copy for myself from DF and a copy for a friend from you folks, just so I can help support DF's partners ^_^

Thanks Stacy for fast reply. I thought it is the same one, that's why I decided to buy it on Amazon. I need to rethink that now. I can still cancel order on Amazon. :)

edit:

I've decided to cancel it and order directly from DF. Thanks again. :)

I just cancel mine too and order it from df store, can't wait to get it. Also should I get the brutal legend uber pack, I do already have the poster but nothing else thats in it.

Good question... unfortunately, the person who knows the answer is currently on a plane to Japan :D

I *think* the books are being shipped a bit earlier to DF but let me check and make sure.

I asked this out of curiosity with full knowledge that it's bad form for companies to inform third parties of what they're shipping to their customers. On the other hand, it's not like your company's business relationship with DF is a secret, and it's not unfathomable that DF would get special treatment/first dibs.

I actually contacted the double fine shop earlier this month regarding the book (prior to even seeing this thread!) and I was informed that the book was finally coming out sometime early April.

Oddly enough :) they just withdrew money from my account - so I'm hoping to see a "We've shipped your goods!" email sometime soon. (Not sure how it works when buying directly from the DF Store).

Something completely different, shipping sure is a bastard. The shipping price to DK is actually higher than the book itself, and when it eventually gets here it'll proberbly be taken by customs and get an added import tax (package value + shipping price + 25%, and in addition to that a 32$ bill that you have to pay because they checked your package). ^^ Thank god that I am no longer a poor student!

Something completely different, shipping sure is a bastard. The shipping price to DK is actually higher than the book itself, and when it eventually gets here it'll proberbly be taken by customs and get an added import tax (package value + shipping price + 25%, and in addition to that a 32$ bill that you have to pay because they checked your package). ^^ Thank god that I am no longer a poor student!

Well, when I checked direct shipping to Poland, UPS site returned 200-300 $ shipping costs. ;-) That's why I decided to ship it to adress in USA and then ship it to Poland. There are quite many companies, which offer you free address in USA and then will ship package(s) to you, for much lower price. Total shipping cost will still be probably 50-75% of price of the book, but this is much less than UPS offer.

You should look for something like this: http://www.myus.com/en/ship-to-denmark/

But if you find a company, which is shipping specifically to your country (like I do), it may be cheaper.

The DF store is, kind of notoriously slow at times due to only having one or two people shipping stuff for the whole store. So it's best to probably shoot them an email or give them a call. There is just may be a slight delay considering the books are coming out on April 9th.

Amazon wise- I got my two copies of the art book a bit earlier than expected. God damn is this book beautiful.

Ah, that would proberbly be the reason.

I had not seen the "final" release date (was just informed that the release was in April by the DF Shop), so when people started talking about the book :D I got a bit nervous since I had not heard anything from the shop.

Just recently at a shop where I had preordered a limited edition product, they somehow manage to sell my copy to someone who had not preordered :( and that was crappy.

So thanks up for it BigMchugelarge :D

I can understand why you'd be nervous, the date kept changing the past month or so. From March to April, to April 11th to April 9th. I was getting a bit nervous the book would get canceled again.

Ugh, really?? I can't believe they'd do that, I don't know who the shop is, but they should feel ashamed of themselves for that.

No problem, I hope the book gets to you soon!

I got my book yesterday. Bigger than I though! It's amazingly awesome. Worth the wait. I ordered it last November.

Mine should arrive wednesday, I got the e-mail from Amazon saying they shipped it. Yay ! Perfect timing as I finished the game last week (first playthrough).

Got it yesterday ! It's huge !

I don't remember reading that it was that huge. Anyway it seems very nice, I'll have to have a greater look at it later.

I picked it up yesterday - compared to my other gaming artbooks (I don't have too many), this one blows them all out of the water! It is huge, with tons of style (example - take off the slip cover). I'm stunned at the quality, it was far more than I expected!

Excellent job, guys.

The reason we haven't shipped them yet from the Double Fine store is that the ones from our store are a limited edition with a hard slipcase, and signed by Tim. (The Amazon ones aren't signed or slipcase-enclosed.)

We haven't gotten the slipcases yet, so we haven't been able to fulfill those orders. But when we do they will be awesome!!

Aww shoot, I'm guessing the DF books won't arrive until way after the 15th then (especially since it's going to my father's address in alaska first, then being sent to my location). Ah well, late birthday present then!

Thanks for keeping us informed, anyway! I'm sure we'd love an update for whenever you guys ship the books out!

The reason we haven't shipped them yet from the Double Fine store is that the ones from our store are a limited edition with a hard slipcase, and signed by Tim. (The Amazon ones aren't signed or slipcase-enclosed.)

We haven't gotten the slipcases yet, so we haven't been able to fulfill those orders. But when we do they will be awesome!!

Sweet! For me, the store just says "out of stock". We will be able to place an order soon?

Sweet! For me, the store just says "out of stock". We will be able to place an order soon?

Probably, I just don't want to put them back on sale until we're a little more caught up on our back orders. The way the timing worked out with the existing orders wasn't what we thought it was going to be--it's not really anyone's fault, just one of those weird logistical blips. But as soon as we're able to start fulfilling the orders we'll make it available again. I don't know if we'll have both the slipcase and regular ones available, or just the regular ones; it depends on what kind of volume we can get from the manufacturer.

Sign in to follow this