Sign in to follow this  
Darkstorm

Costume Quest on GOG

Just picked it up now that it's available drm free. Would be nice to see the entire DF catalogue on gog at some point. :)

Surprised you guys aren't publicising this on your site at all.

I'm curious: if the rest of the catalogue were like Psychonauts and available on Steam DRM-free, would you still prefer GoG to Steam?

By DRM-free I mean you can choose to run the game with features that require an account (achievements, cloud saves) disabled.

Yes, unless I misunderstand your meaning.

My problem with steam is that even with games it purports to offer drm free, it requires a steam connection for the initial install to begin with, which means I can't get an executable that can install offline.

Which means if valve were ever to go under all my games would be useless, so their DRM-free method is not actually DRM-free. With GOG, as long as I back them up myself, I can install them whenever I want - it puts the control back in my hands, as it was with retail games(before everyone started requiring steamworks).

Yes, I think you may misunderstand me. If you have a backup of Psychonauts and copy it to another computer, it doesn't care (by design). It's self contained and install-free whether it's distributed via Steam or GoG.

With Costume Quest, a Steam account is required to run the .exe; but it's certainly possible for us to add a Steam-free (like GoG's CostumeQuest.exe) or Steam-optional (like Psychonauts.exe) executable in there for those who want the peace of mind. The main difference at that point is auto-update (Steam) vs user-controlled update (GoG, etc).

even with games it purports to offer drm free, it requires a steam connection for the initial install to begin with, which means I can’t get an executable that can install offline

I'm not so sure about this. It's really up to the developer to decide how much Steam functionality they want to integrate, and whether to make it optional or not. If it weren't up to us, there wouldn't be any point in my asking these questions because I couldn't do anything about it! I'm sure you'd get different results if you tried to backup and restore say, From Dust vs Hotline Miami (which btw is awesome and nobody is buying it so you totally should)

Huh. The most recent debate I had on the subject over on neogaf indicated nothing had changed in that respect(in that steam drm-free still requires authentication during initial install and the installation files aren't simply transferable to a new computer). I'm talking second-hand as I've never had cause to use steam at all given the way they work.

If this has changed that'd be great, although I'd still favour gog as I have loads of games through it now, and having a single installer file is less hasslesome then having to install a steam client and backing up an entire folder.

I picked up Hotline Miami through GOG when it came out. :)

If you have a backup of Psychonauts and copy it to another computer, it doesn't care (by design). It's self contained and install-free whether it's distributed via Steam or GoG.

That's actually pretty darn cool. I never knew that!

It would be cool if i could make backups of my games and run them without Steam. At least to me, the big point for DRM-free games is that, even if something goes terribly wrong i'm still able to play, may it be a broke router, or (one day) Steam/Valve going out of business. But how come that this isn't advertised anywhere in Steam? One would think that this could be considered a serious selling point - Steam DRM free is all i ever wished for. xD

I must say though - i really like the Steam achievements, the community/social features, and having saves in the cloud, and i will use those functions if available. Especially the achievements are quite cool, some of them (at least in Psychonauts) revealed a whole new level of detail to me. If a games is available on GOG and on Steam but with achievements and so on i'm always going to buy at Steam, but i wish i had both - no DRM and Steam, but seems like that's really only up to the developer/publisher, which surprised me.

Not sure how useful that is for the discussion but i just felt like posting my two cents.

I'm curious: if the rest of the catalogue were like Psychonauts and available on Steam DRM-free, would you still prefer GoG to Steam?

By DRM-free I mean you can choose to run the game with features that require an account (achievements, cloud saves) disabled.

If you could also put a binary that doesn't launch steam when you start the game, that'd really be awesome! Please do it if you can :)

But to answer your question, personally, if I were to buy the game again, I'd probably go for GoG even if it was DRM-free on Steam. Mainly because I find a stand-alone installer more convenient to download, archive, and wine. And also because I don't think I would have known Steam had a DRM-free copy.

Thanks everyone for their replies! This thread has been helpful. It sounds like we could use some sort of DRM statement included with the games, or on the site. A couple final pieces of information I can give you:

Darkstorm: I won't say they're wrong. Certainly, to download files from Steam you need to own the game; and that's fair. But to transfer the game? That depends on how the developer chooses to use (or not use) the various Steam features.

Xaromir: If that's what you want, yes, do tell the developers that's what you want! Or wait for them to ask, and then answer ;-)

Guess I'll throw in my 2 cents. As a person still stuck with a dialup connection I much prefer GoG over Steam, even if the game is technically "DRM-free" on Steam. The Steam client is a huge pain in the butt to deal with, where the GoG downloader is simple and works great. I can even just grab the installer from their web site if I want. This is especially useful to me since I can just take my laptop to the book store or library and download the games to a thumb drive to install back at home. I've been very happy seeing various indie games showing up on GoG recently. Nothing bums me out more than seeing a cool indie game release that requires Steam to buy/download/play. Mark of the Ninja, I'm looking at you.

Really happy to see Costume Quest on GoG, I plan on grabbing it soon. Maybe we can get Stacking up there next? Pretty please?

I know Costume Quest is already on GoG, but I'd like to chime in on why I prefer GoG over Steam.

The achievements. They're not bad per se, but getting them by just completing a part of the story that everyone playing through the game would eventually complete? I hate that. Ruins the flow of the game for me, cutting it up into little segments like that. At times it's almost as if single-player games give them out of insecurity--as if no one would complete the game if they never got achievements.

I would rather play games where I date pigeons instead of games that treat me like pigeons. That game doesn't insult my intelligence, is confident in the quality of its narrative to not rely on achievements, and actually has a stellar and compelling narrative.

I would rather play games where I date pigeons instead of games that treat me like pigeons. That game doesn't insult my intelligence, is confident in the quality of its narrative to not rely on achievements, and actually has a stellar and compelling narrative.
What?!

It's silly. It revels in that. But it also knows how to be tragic, moving, and touching, and shift gears without being awkward. How fat bird's Doctor Iwamine Shuu's (incidentally not a pigeon) true route ends is genuinely disturbing. Those reviews on DLsite? They do not exaggerate.

There's also a fan English patch for the demo'. There is a part where a gender ambiguous entity was translated as a gendered pronoun, but the official translation for the full version translates it as ambiguous. IMO, everyone should just skip the demo' and get the full version. It's only 5 USD at current rates. Though if you have Windows 7 you'll have to jump through some hoops--install the East Asian language pack, check mark compatibility mode for Windows XP, and then run the .exe as an administrator.

I'm really happy that Costume Quest is on GoG. Now this post isn't just about Hatoful Boyfriend!

Somewhat related question: I was wondering why the GOG version of Costume Quest and Stacking don't include any extras beyond a few wallpapers and avatars... Most games on GOG have concept art, behind the scenes notes, videos, soundtrack, etc... in light of all this DFA openness this seems an especially glaring omission. And why not include the Amnesia Fortnight prototypes as well?

I have both of these games on PS3 but if the GOG version included a few more extras I would definitely consider buying them again, if not now, then certainly later.