Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Spacebase DF-9: Voting Discussion Thread

I have to say I'm quite intrigued by this game. From my understanding the game is more Sims like than Dwarf Fortress as in the game is based more around the people that inhabit the base than the actual base itself would this be correct?

too ambitious :( people voted on the juiciest idea not the most realistic to make. comparing a ship docking on the base to minecraft having tunnels and being an unknown is too far a stretch for me to even realize. its just not clear enough, pretty amazing to see this livestream going on and how unprepared this pitch is. All the best luck, just a little sad because, omg he just asked for 4 people for his team. Okay, is this unrealistic now....People really should have voted on the most realistic pitch. This has got to be stressful for all of Double Fine. Best of luck you talented mofos.

I guess if everybody had voted on the most realistic pitches that woudl have reduced the probability of the prototypes not being awesome after two weeks, but I think the whole point of prototyping is to experiment and try new things, and failure (if it occurs) is an inherent part of that.

Personally I'd be way happier with an kinda broken prototype of a crazy, experimental, interesting idea than a safe and simple retread of existing ideas that's had some polish time. But I might be in the minority of AF supporters.

too ambitious :( people voted on the juiciest idea not the most realistic to make. comparing a ship docking on the base to minecraft having tunnels and being an unknown is too far a stretch for me to even realize. its just not clear enough, pretty amazing to see this livestream going on and how unprepared this pitch is. All the best luck, just a little sad because, omg he just asked for 4 people for his team. Okay, is this unrealistic now....People really should have voted on the most realistic pitch. This has got to be stressful for all of Double Fine. Best of luck you talented mofos.

But the purpose of these weeks is to build a prototype for some parts of the game, nothing more. And as Chris Remo said in another thread, if they come to the realization that it can´t be done, they´re better of knowing it after these weeks then after a lengthy period.

And don´t underestimate JP and the DF team here now. It might be challenging, yes, but isn´t that what people need in creative workfields like this? :) It´s not like Autonomous or Hack&Slash; lacked ambition in ther concepts either. Let them prove themselves instead of getting worried.

JP really had a lot to say about the game, he felt really passionate about it and I´m looking forward to seeing the work on this prototype.

A couple of questions I saw in the chat and that weren't answered:

-What is the goal art style? Cartoony or more realistic?

-Are you going to introduce some humour, like in Theme Hospital or Roller Coaster Tycoon?

Hello Mr.LeBreton

Very nice project. With all the isometric stuff around I just wanted to say that I miss the feeling in games like Sim Tower. Always wanted to make my own game based on Kowloon Walled City. This image says it all.

Keep up the great work and good luck.

kowloon5.jpg

Mr.LeBreton, i love your idea but i would just like to say something about your pitch (the one livestreamed today).

I believe it would have worked much better if you had any type of support, like a powerpoint, not only to keep the watchers more interested but also to help you guide trough the presentation.

You sounded kind of lost in there haha.

Just trying to help, keep on the good work! I look forward to play your game :)

Yes, Deep Space 9 is an inspiration. There's a three-way reference hidden in "DF-9": Deep Space Nine, Dwarf Fortress, and Double Fine.

The player takes the role of the base's overseer. You don't have a corporeal form to command or worry about, but when you start a new base you get to choose your name and a portrait that helps project a personality - are you a Picard, a Janeway, a HAL 9000, a Darth Vader, etc.

I have to object here. How could you not list Sisko!?

Anyway. For the prototype, what do you think is reasonable, scope-wise? I've been guessing something along the lines of Sim Tower in terms of building complexity, with the AI personalities being around the level of Animal Crossing, just a few quirks to make them non-identical. Is that about right?

Edit: I don't mean the scope of Sim Tower's different building options, just the idea of how bits plop and some of how they interact (residential, transport, commercial basically)

I voted on about 5 of the pitches, but this is the only one of my picks that made it through the first wave.

I'm eager to see where this one goes. The prototype will surely be fun, but more than that I'd love to see it get the full game treatment.

Watching the Idle Thumbs Twitch channel, I caught JP and the others playing XCOM. When XCOM was new, I didn't have a PC that could run games so I missed it. Because of that cast, I decided to get the game on STEAM and have enjoyed so many hours of turn based fun. Hearing JP talk about old XCOM moments and the reverence he showed to the game is one of the major factors of me giving it a try. So I'm really eager to see how he'll build his own project. Congrats JP, and thanks for introducing me to one of gaming's true classics as well.

Hi,

I was watching the archive of the livestream and not being able to control the decorations in a room was mentioned. I didn't like the idea too much since it is fun to do personal touches to rooms, though if it was an option to automatically populate a room if the player felt lazy that would be cool.

I had a suggestion that might sell auto-populating rooms though, this would require a Retail zone. Each citizen gets paid a salary every certain amount of time they spend working (if they have a job that is), with the money/credits they save up they can shop at local retail stores for needs and wants like food/drink, decorations and entertainment. Or maybe like what Star Trek does, giving a certain amount of requisition credits to use on the different types of replicators on their ship/station with food, small/medium/big item replicators.

There could be a background mechanic that tells if a citizen is a moderate consumer/shop-a-holic/penny pincher and will relate on how much they try to save money for these Want items (since need items will automatically be bought if they have enough currency) and randomly picks what they want to buy depending on their personality. With the things they buy, they can populate the room themselves and they can randomly pick where to place it. (With restrictions to make sure they don't block pathways/ objects that they need to interact with.

Also, if the person is a shop-a-holic or just can't pay for need items since they don't have the cash, it could effect their mood/personality and they might resort to requesting welfare from the player, selling items in their room, begging other citizens for cash, or underhanded things like theft. That might add onto needing security zones/personnel/droids but that is going off the main idea.

This way they could buy and place a table, and then add a lava lamp on top of it later on, or upgrade items in their room like buying a bigger bed/TV, or simply restocking their fridge. It would definitely make room auto-population a lot more interesting since it would give the basics upfront first then rely on what the citizen's personal tastes are, and it let's the player see and wonder what each citizens will add to their rooms to express themselves which adds to the overall story of the space station.

one thing i was thinking, you know the most annoying part of the sims was when you had to have a certain number of friends for your person to have a higher up job. Made me think about if there was a game that was like the sims but you never controlled the sims, just their environment, then those things would happen on their own. If this prototype becomes a real game it would definitely benefit from user generated content being something in mind from the beginning. High levels of customization need to be thought about from the beginning, its a sim why wouldnt that be. Looking forward to all of the games, hope the cameras document some awesome arguments and frustration. This would all be nothing without hardcore learning and full transparency. Even if every game turns out bad (99% chance every game will turn out awesome) the learning experience that you will provide to the world documented for everyone to see for as long as it stays on the internet will be worth close to the value of a game or far far greater depending on who you ask (i.m.o). Everyone at Double Fine deserves tremendous respect for this. Do great work!

Hello Mr.LeBreton

This image says it all.

Keep up the great work and good luck.

kowloon5.jpg

This Image says it all for me! I'm also a fan of the title card art type! Just build the ship as a circle & have other ships dock outward to, expand the circle, rooms of the space station fill the inside of the circular or roundish overall structure of the station, and have a camera that just rotates the circle. all i can think of is how cool this would all look with an art style like SPACE meets Superbrothers Sword & Sorcery.

Congratulations with silver asteroid hitting Your space base, I mean 2nd place!

Very good presentation. :)

When You mentioned need for some sort of ”money”, first thing that came into mind in this case was “entropy”. That is of course term from thermodynamics, but is used in general system theory too. Meaning a system with lowest entropy is the most efficient system, with the least “randomness”. In this case, when we are talking about society, where all citizens are more “happy” sort of. But I don’t really know does this game need any special “task” to achieve.

Keeping the concept, Your idea can be extended to a setting, that player is “gone out of order AI system” which was built in to manage the entropy of the space base. AI that can control all the automated systems like doors, robots, electricity, water, automatic fire extinguishers, alarms and so on. So it’s not actually controlling “people”, but the “environment”, in logical, understandable way, to achieve something, what the broken AI wants to. More like if AI has in some strange way gotten “mind of his own” and is willing to play with people on the space station.

And when You evacuate to the next base, the ship actually takes that “damaged” AI to it.

Speaking about “resource”, for me, that part should have as minimal meaning as it can still having some sort of meaning if needed.

Best wishes with development.

Hey I have a couple questions, mostly based on me playing Xcom this month.

How do you feel about dangerous things happening in your space base? Like an underground crime syndicate, or aliens shooting up your city, or some kind of terrorism strike etc? I'm picturing building some kind of police station, and having a squad of men roll up to shoot aliens or negotiate with bankrobbers or whatever they need to do.

Do you feel like that kind of action detracts from the main point of the game? or is that exactly on track?

Also I'm imagining an alien ship could trade new alien technology with you, and that leads me to the question: IS their a concept of alien technology? Could some helpful stranger come along and give you an unlimited power plant or anything? Introduce some weird new building type? Are you researching new space technologies at all in this game?

This sounds like it could potentially be awesome, and I hope a mobile version will be considered if it ever goes into full production.

I noticed you have mentioned that you want the interaction level with the citizens to be between the sims and simscity.

Maybe you should have a look at simtown. It was designed for children, but i think it does slightly resembles what you described.

I'm very excited to see how the prototype ends up because this is my favorite of the top 5 games. I love how it's main focus is on the character interaction and stories that comes out of it as opposed to a normal sim game, like SimCity, is focused on the building aspect. That strikes me as a very Double Fine-y way to make a game like this.

I noticed you have mentioned that you want the interaction level with the citizens to be between the sims and simscity.

Maybe you should have a look at simtown. It was designed for children, but i think it does slightly resembles what you described.

I don't think that's the interaction he was talking about. That looks like player-character interaction while Spacebase is more about character-character interaction. So we wouldn't directly interact with each character like in that video, but we would set up situations for characters to interact with each other in different ways.

One example he's mentioned is locking two characters in an elevator to see what happens. Would they fight? Would they fall in love? Stuff like that.

I'm very excited to see how the prototype ends up because this is my favorite of the top 5 games. I love how it's main focus is on the character interaction and stories that comes out of it as opposed to a normal sim game, like SimCity, is focused on the building aspect. That strikes me as a very Double Fine-y way to make a game like this.

I don't think that's the interaction he was talking about. That looks like player-character interaction while Spacebase is more about character-character interaction. So we wouldn't directly interact with each character like in that video, but we would set up situations for characters to interact with each other in different ways.

One example he's mentioned is locking two characters in an elevator to see what happens. Would they fight? Would they fall in love? Stuff like that.

Youre totally right but I played a lot of Sim Town as a little kid on my old power mac, and that game isn't confusing, and gets the point across very well. It teaches a lot of stuff well, and I think is better designed than Sim City, because you can understand what you need to do in Sim Town, but in Sim City you don't even know how to start unless you read a lot of stuff.

Taking the ideas of Sim Town that worked would be great, and even if they don't, if they do it right, it'll definitely have some similarities to sim town, if they're trying to make a better Sim City. I think all that has nothing to do with all the extra levels of juiciness, like the character to character interactions that will happen as the simulation runs.

Besides all that I got a question for JP about music. What do you think about dynamic music for the game, so any situation or event will do something to a melody that is constantly playing. If you use looped audio files that could do a lot but would have to have a lot recorded or some scientific tricks planned way ahead of time to turn those loops into faked generative music, or even go full out Brian Eno and make some generative music. But I was just wondering if you were gonna go for midi with the music. I can think of many ways that could end up with awesome non repetitive, melodic space music, in one theme with many moods with a small file size.

But yea just random thoughts. Is the game gonna have a lot of sound effects from what happens or music that changes a lot based on what happens in the simulation? Hope the first day went great!

Even though the tread is very old…

Even though the games is up for others to see…

I still came back to do this…

WE ALL DID IT! THE GAME GOT SO MUCH TRACTION THAT IS WENT UP ON STEAM EARLY ACCESS!

IT EVEN GOT TRADING CARDS!

Congratulations on such a nice game!

Sign in to follow this