Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Hack ’n’ Slash: Voting Discussion Thread

You've totally got the right idea! When I say no traditional equipment, I mean literal swords, arrows, and bombs. Hacking themed equivalents are totally appropriate, and will definitely be making appearances. For the prototype, we're going to lean heavily on a hookshot-like hacking device, for example.

So, say, the bow and arrow could be used to decrement a value? Which would mean I'd have to figure out how to hit my arrow count with my last arrow... :P

I love the idea of hacking the soundtrack, though. I'm filing that idea away in my notes. :D

what I was thinking about was something like a scrambled mess of an audio file that you turn into text, shift the letter values and turn it back into an audio file. I dont know much though, so I hope this isn't unrealistic, also I don't know whats in the realms of possibility for what your team is considering.

I think in a full game having actual zelda type game mechanics could actually make for more interesting hacking puzzles, with maybe hacking with gameplay as another way of approaching it. Maybe you could hack an item to do something weird like shoot an enemy real fast like a baseball then you have to aim that at a certain spot. I don't think any of that should be done in the 2 weeks, you are entirely right by focusing on hacking mechanics first, it seems the most fruitful and can create new fundamental ways of creating fun interactive problems.

Do you think its cool for people like me to shoot random suggestions and stuff like that? I was wondering because these are obviously personal projects to everyone, and each team seems to have a different level of specificity in their meetings. I know Double Fine wanted people to vote, but I'm just not sure if I'm being annoying or going over a line by thinking seriously about the games and saying whatever I think might be interesting or any critical questions.

Hope day 2 was fun!

I think it would be quite cool to start with standard Zelda style equipment that does all the standard stuff, but that doesn't actually help you progress. These pieces of equipment can represent your input triggers, and at the beginning you could be quite limited as to how you can get input/output interfacing with the game engine - this leads to hacks that change the effect of (for example) shooting your bow (shoot to warp to the top-left of the map). Therefore you can go into one of the hacking rooms, set up the effect and then use it in the midst of the level where you might not have full direct access to the game state or logic (yet).

Another angle on this is to link together to usually separate pieces of state - eg your remaining ammo level is linked to one of your ability scores - so picking up arrows could increase your power, but shooting your bow would decrease it (which might interplay nicely if shooting your bow has been subverted to doing something else useful).

This way you can balance the hacks based on what facilities you have access to. This doesn't mean you aren't really hacking - you can totally be directly changing and viewing the state of the game, but you have interesting limitations in how you can interact. This is similar to progressively breaking free of your game world using the tools within it creatively.

Another possible way to limit things early on is to give limited output possibilities. If you want extra information, like some hidden enemy state, then you have to overlay the level indicator, or for spacial information a layer on the minimap.

Loving the concept, so much scope for creativity!

This game looks very interesting. I voted for the concept but I haven't had the chance to look into the forum until now.

Just wanna say that my ears perked up when the guy in the pitch video said "she". I always dreamed of hacking Link into a girl when I played Zelda as a kid, so this is pretty much my dream come true.

Hey Brandon.

Do you plan on sharing the tools you made for this game?

Well, the tool we're using to lay out all of the rooms is Tiled, which is already open source, and is very good!

We're coding the game in 2HB, our internal tool for developing Moai games. We're planning on open sourcing this eventually. I can't commit to an ETA, though!

Really enjoying the art of Hack n' Slash and really intrigued by the hacking mechanic. I have no experience whatsoever in hacking but solving puzzles using lateral thinking is a great idea.

On a totally unrelated note I really like Brandon's fine leather jacket. Looks very cool.

Hey Brandon.

Do you plan on sharing the tools you made for this game?

Well, the tool we're using to lay out all of the rooms is Tiled, which is already open source, and is very good!

We're coding the game in 2HB, our internal tool for developing Moai games. We're planning on open sourcing this eventually. I can't commit to an ETA, though!

Awesome. I was admiring the tool you were using to build the world. It's great that it's open source.

Thanks.

Brandon, I had an idea for the time mechanic and the wall glitches! You could have a way slow setting where the whole room freezes and you can see the black "space" between frame draws... it would be in that mode that you see tiles with the red "glitch" sparks. Then it wouldn't be so obvious which tiles are red (I suppose she could poke the walls with the USB connector, like Link stabbing random walls with his sword, but I like the slow time mechanic). Once you see what tile should be glitched, you turn the slow time mode off (have it be so slow, e.g. frozen, that you don't really move around, just peek at what's going on between "frame redraws").

Just an idea :-)

Sign in to follow this