Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

KAIJU PILEDRIVER Official Thread

GODZILLA SPELUNKY! :D!

Man I love that game! That game and FTL are my main reasons for wanting to delve into the roguelike space!

I LOVE FTL too!

I am glad that FTL is liked by professionals too.

(P.S. I hope your game gets some kind of new lease on life after AF, your idea IS in Sixth place you know.

I mean, when you pick the top four it makes me think "Do we have to say that idea #5 stinks and forget it for good?")

It's up to Tim, but I think that 5k+ votes for Black Lake and KAIJU PILEDRIVER will look pretty appealing in the future! :D!

I mean, did you see the concept art that Levi has done for Black Lake??? It's amazing! :D!

Thanks for your support!

yHfTv.jpg

If this game doesn't get made I'm gonna have to set something on fire!

hahahaha this made me lol. :D!

Please make sure that if you set something on fire that it's, you know, something that *should* be on fire, ie not a cat. Maybe like a candle or a piece of wood in a fireplace. :D

Hey Brad I watched the video for Brazen, and it reminded me that

. Just cos it has really awkward animation and harsh lighting and skeletons. It looks like that style works a lot better when you zoom out more and make the humans really small, so they'd feel like miniatures.

Anyway that's really unrelated, but thought I'd share it anyway.

I laughed at how your first idea for DoubleFine monsters was this fucking scampi abomination.

yHfTv.jpg

If this game doesn't get made I'm gonna have to set something on fire!

hahahaha this made me lol. :D!

Please make sure that if you set something on fire that it's, you know, something that *should* be on fire, ie not a cat. Maybe like a candle or a piece of wood in a fireplace. :D

*sigh* Fine! *puts down extremely flammable cat*

honestly if you said everything you said about this game but also added "like ico and journey" but then also "and also like uncharted 2 and 3, and the half life series and the ken levine bioshock games and system shock and theif, and shadow of the colossus, and even the last guardian....its kinda like all those games put together, oh and its also like GTA and Minecraft" then you would have votes!

Should have just lied and vaguely explained stuff, instead of actually present a thought out idea. Thats why I think this game isn't #1, becuase it should have lied in its pitch like the others.

OH sick burn on everyone at Double Fine!

You're right, that pitch where you be a duck and just hang out with other ducks was totally a ploy for up-votes.

You're right, that pitch where you be a duck and just hang out with other ducks was totally a ploy for up-votes.

dude im not burning anyone at double fine. Theres a whole bunch of great ideas. All I'm saying is maybe it would have been a good idea that others at double fine proof read the pitches, and maybe change the wording a bit so some weren't misleading, over promising, or overly referential to other games that are popular for being works of art.

Thats all I'm saying. I think it was unfair for ANYONE to reference another game without providing extremely technical detailed descriptions why that reference was made. I think some people at double fine might have, against their best intentions, made it harder for others to pitch their games properly because they referenced games like Ico.

Pitches that talked about art and not the mechanics are great, but when it comes to sacrifices, you don't sacrifice game mechanics to strengthen the story, when you can strengthen the mechanics by sacrificing on some story. Its the entire point of playing games, game play. Basing a game prototype on anything beyond game mechanics seems like a way to mislead people.

I'm not trying to burn everyone at double fine. I seriously believe they have better judgement than this voting process, and I seriously think this voting process has a few flaws, one of which was the slightly manipulative wording of some of the pitches.

"The Flock" sounds the most like Journey to me, and it never mentioned Journey in its pitch. it explained the mechanics and through that description made me think about journey. So there is a perfect example of how to pitch the game with respect to the other pitches.

Anyways, this pitch was great, and well explained, so these problems do not apply to this game at all.

dude im not burning anyone at double fine. Theres a whole bunch of great ideas. All I'm saying is maybe it would have been a good idea that others at double fine proof read the pitches, and maybe change the wording a bit so some weren't misleading, over promising, or overly referential to other games that are popular for being works of art.

Thats all I'm saying. I think it was unfair for ANYONE to reference another game without providing extremely technical detailed descriptions why that reference was made. I think some people at double fine might have, against their best intentions, made it harder for others to pitch their games properly because they referenced games like Ico.

Pitches that talked about art and not the mechanics are great, but when it comes to sacrifices, you don't sacrifice game mechanics to strengthen the story, when you can strengthen the mechanics by sacrificing on some story. Its the entire point of playing games, game play. Basing a game prototype on anything beyond game mechanics seems like a way to mislead people.

I'm not trying to burn everyone at double fine. I seriously believe they have better judgement than this voting process, and I seriously think this voting process has a few flaws, one of which was the slightly manipulative wording of some of the pitches.

"The Flock" sounds the most like Journey to me, and it never mentioned Journey in its pitch. it explained the mechanics and through that description made me think about journey. So there is a perfect example of how to pitch the game with respect to the other pitches.

Anyways, this pitch was great, and well explained, so these problems do not apply to this game at all.

You're assuming to know why people are voting for certain pitches over others, which you can't know for certain. Not only that, but in the Kickstarter pitch video, Tim referenced the old adventure games he worked on (maybe not by name, but he had giant freaking posters behind him so he might as well have). Did you have a problem with him doing that? It would also be very hard to explain what is so compelling about something like Black Lake or White Birch without using descriptions like "its like Ico". How does it make it a "lie" if they're intention is to make a game like that?

You're assuming to know why people are voting for certain pitches over others, which you can't know for certain. Not only that, but in the Kickstarter pitch video, Tim referenced the old adventure games he worked on (maybe not by name, but he had giant freaking posters behind him so he might as well have). Did you have a problem with him doing that? It would also be very hard to explain what is so compelling about something like Black Lake or White Birch without using descriptions like "its like Ico". How does it make it a "lie" if they're intention is to make a game like that?

Tim referencing old games he made, and someone else referencing games they didnt make...hmm yea they definitely arent in the same league at all. Not even comparable. So no I have no problem with Tim saying he wants to make an adventure game like his old ones, I know the positives and negatives that come with that.

Saying "It would also be very hard to explain what is so compelling about something like Black Lake or White Birch without using descriptions like "its like Ico"." is your opinion. Because I know nothing about those games since they are still pitches and the creator is the only one with a real idea, I will leave it all up to interpretation....but you seem to have a solid idea on what you want the game to be already, even though neither of those games have actually talked about mechanics. See the problem I'm trying to point out now? Everyone voting for these vague idea pitches are filling everything in with their own ideas before its even a prototype, instead of having open ears to what the developer wants to put forward.

Its like Ico in how, that you hold someones hand, that you rescue someone from their evil mom who will suck the life out of her daughter. that you hit shadows with a stick. that you push cubes around. that moment where the bridge starts collapsing and you yell at your tv and its the most compelling moment i've ever had playing a game. what makes it like ico and what in the pitch for black lake or white birch references any of these things? where does it say you are an outcast from your village and they bring you to a mysterious place, in a coffin like thing to die.

I'm saying that Ico is a ridiculously specific game if you analyze it, but is a very vague and loose with its story too. It simply tells you that these beings exist, and let you rationalize why they exist. They never show you contradictions within the world, but also never explain why its the way it is in the first place. Is THIS the very essence that people are referring to when they say "its like ico". Journey certainly fits this description of a well designed world.

If the only thing I can think of that would make two games even possible to compare by saying "its like ico" would be a well designed world. Anything else, and it would have to be "like ico" because of very specific things. So.......is this not clear how saying "its like ico" is just not enough to explain anything. Could have simply said, the world will be fully realized, and it would mean the same thing, but saying ico makes people all excited and more willing to vote for that game. see how that is manipulative.

Thats it. Done with this, everything everyone says should be considered and treated seriously, but i cant just feed trolls meat all day

Thats it. Done with this, everything everyone says should be considered and treated seriously, but i cant just feed trolls meat all day
How am I a troll exactly? I was trying to have a debate with you. I didn't use any harsh language or straight out say your opinion is invalid (although I strongly disagree with it).

This should be getting all the votes. Screw Hack and Slash, it sounds gimmicky. This sounds like fun times.

Well the Powerball lottery is 400+ million this week. I'm gonna go buy some tickets, win it, then pull a Notch and Tweet Tim and Brad about funding the development myself!

EDIT: Also, here is some Kaiju Piledriver fan art I did.

255108_482620128448844_2126747402_n.jpg

In case you're wondering, that is Randy Savage Zilla pile driving a robot. And yes, his headband says "MONSTER MADNESS".

So sad this didn't get picked, hopefully Tim will still decide to look at the idea in the future. Come on, what's not to like about it.

I dont understand why they dont add this to the fray of titles now. If they add the change of making it from 4 to 5, why not just add the 6 as well?

jeff_goldblum_341579c.jpg

jeff_goldblum_341579c.jpg.929fe46a05b424

They are 60 guys on DF.

A full team i believe its 15 members (correct me if i'm wrong).

Maths Maths Maths

I dont understand why they dont add this to the fray of titles now. If they add the change of making it from 4 to 5, why not just add the 6 as well?
Well then why not add the 7th or 8th or 9th. You see the problem here? Double Fine only has so many employees. They must have added a 5th project because they had the manpower. Adding another would mean cutting staff from other projects and, they would all suffer as a result.

Well then why not add the 7th or 8th or 9th. You see the problem here? Double Fine only has so many employees. They must have added a 5th project because they had the manpower. Adding another would mean cutting staff from other projects and, they would all suffer as a result.

If they do this again, I'd love it if anything that got over a certain barrier of votes (say, 4000 or so) would then be considered and prototyped. Obviously a lot of people were on board with KP and given Muir's track record I'd love to see what he'd do as with this kind of material. I hope this one doesn't fall by the wayside just because it didn't make the cut here. It sounds like a great premise and I'd love some more giant monster games in my life.

Anyone else remember the Godzilla games from Gamecube and Xbox 1? They were not the most involved games and the hardware held them back, but they still managed to be a lot of fun. Pure cathartic destruction at the hands of a giant lizard. It's a good thing.

They are 60 guys on DF.

Maths Maths Maths

Yeah, but I cant see why they simply could not draw the line at 10 members a team. Seems like enough to me, theyre are simply creating prototypes are they not?

thumbnail_52446.jpg

thumbnail_52446.jpg.beb69c3ba124b8c53cc2

this needs to get made now instead of next amnesia fortnight because it makes more sense than other higher voted games and everyone who is seriously thinking about this knows it

Maybe the game should be repurposed as a Night Trap-style FMV adventure game starring Jeff Goldblum as The Man in the Rubber Suit?

Picture it: you control Mr. Goldblum, a down-on-his-luck, out of work actor who must don a Godzilla-style monster costume in order to make ends meet. The depressed Goldblum soon takes to wearing the costume off-set in order to frighten the local children and I guess solve crimes or something. Puzzle-solving ensues.

AMNESIA FORTNIGHT 2013!

They are 60 guys on DF.

Maths Maths Maths

Yeah, but I cant see why they simply could not draw the line at 10 members a team. Seems like enough to me, theyre are simply creating prototypes are they not?

Not every Double Fine employee will be involved though, some people are in non-developing roles like management or IT. Even beyond that it's not just a straight numbers game, it's also a case of roles. Presumably each project lead told Tim exactly what they would need (I'll need at least 2 gameplay programmers, 1 UI programmer, 1 artist, 1 animator etc.) if after accommodating the minimum people for five projects they were out of say, animators, then it's not like you can just plonk someone from another department in front of Maya and say "get learning" :P

They are 60 guys on DF.

Maths Maths Maths

Someone PLEASE figure this puzzle out, cos I am in the friggin' dark over here!!!

there were 5 thousand people on giant bombs live stream watching with the chat going nuts with everyone happy to see Brad Muir. All these people asking where to buy Brazen and stuff and Ryan Davis asking the same questions over and over that he should have known given his job, or given his interest in gaming, or Brad as a friend, or because they were coming over for the live stream maybe he could have looked it up. Anyways, anyone can still buy into the bundle, so out of that 5k....how many bought in, because everyone can use the forums.

But besides that, out of all the people that bought bundles, I dont think I've seen 50 different names in the forums for Amnesia Fortnight yet. Maybe not even 20. Definitely keep seeing the same 5ish again and again. xD

I'm slightly worried the small amount of ridiculously interested people might actually dissuade Double Fine in being more open next time, instead of shooting for a larger and larger group of more and more interested fans that are increasingly more aware of those early situations and what to look for what to learn from, etc.

I think it would be awesome if Brad dressed up in a rubber suit, and filmed himself raging around the office breaking things because his game didn't get made. I would watch the hell out of that.

Hey, what´s this? I thought you guys weren´t doing Kaiju Piledriver?

Sign in to follow this