Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Black Lake: Voting Discussion Thread

Favourite forest creatures?

The Kodama (clicking heads) in Princess Mononoke are really cool.

mononokekodama01.jpg

In The Neverending Story I always liked the rock biter.

the-neverending-story-RockBiter.jpg

I will always have a soft spot for trolls (despite that they have figured out how that legend arose by now).

4373958838_5b9617df6f_o.jpg

I'm guessing there isn't somebody who got 500 dollar and some time to spare.

Like the others i hope this still gets made somehow, but for now just wait if it still makes top 4

Anyone who liked the original Neverending Story film should seriously consider buying the book.

The events of the original movie only comprise about the first 20% of the book. And while Atreyu is presented as the main character of the movie, in the book he's sort of like Obi Wan Kenobi in the original Star Wars trilogy: really super important in the early chapters, but then almost entirely absent for the rest of the story.

Since we're talking bestiaries in this thread, and since the book has such an awesome and original menagerie, I'll take the time to post some for you.

Rock Chewers

They appear in both the film and the original book (the book calls them Rock Chewers, but I think the film might call them Rock Eaters or Rock Biters), and the film actually does a fairly good job of depicting them according to the book's descriptions. The movie does not tell you, however, that there are actually very few Rock Chewers in all the world. A mere handful of them. Moreover, they are sort of like Tolkien's Ents in that they are VEEERY old---among the most ancient living things in the world. They all live on the same mountain range, which is their home and primary food source (i.e. rocks). A single mouthful of rocks is enough to satisfy them for weeks. Still, the mountains they live on have been named "The Cheesie-wheesies", because the Rock Chewers have gnawed on them to the point that they are full of holes like swiss cheese, and the wind whistles and wheezes as it blows through them. Much like the movie, the book describes them as speaking in slow, drawn-out, bassy voices (again, like an Ent). The star rock chewer depicted in the film, according to the book, is named Pyornkrachzark.

Will-o-the-Wisp

Not one of the original creatures in the book, but it would be a good one for the game. A flying ball of light that bounces around playfully and zig-zags through the air with impossible dexterity, completely unconstrained by the laws of physical movement. They are almost impossible to keep up with, but are strangely alluring, and many travelers have become lost by trying to follow or catch a Will-o-the-Wisp. If you were able to see a Will-o-the-Wisp up close (very unlikely, except in the rare event that it wished for you to), you would see something more or less resembling a tiny little insect-sized humanoid figure. They are not human, however, and they are all androgynous. There is no distinction between male and female among Will-o-the-Wisps.

Night-Hob

One of these makes a very brief appearance in the early scenes of the film, but I don't think he's presented in quite the same way the book describes him. A night-hob is a tiny creature about an inch tall and mostly resembles a fuzzy black caterpillar, except that it has tiny little pink hands instead of just insect legs, and also a face that is dominated by two enoooormous round eyes that the book describes as glowing like moons. In my imagination, they sort of have the eyes of a tarsier. The typical mount animal for a night-hob is a black bat, which typically hangs from some branch not far from the night-hob, like a cowboy's horse roped to a tree. Similar to the movie, the book describes the night-hobs as having a manner of speech that is sort of quick and agitated. They often begin or end sentences by letting out a little "Hoo!" noise, and they gesture emphatically while they speak. The star night hob seen in the early scenes of the movie, according to the book, is named Vashvazool.

Tinies

Not much is told about the Tinies in the book, partly on account of the fact that they are a creature from such a faraway place that almost no one knows anything about them. They are very small humanoids, as small as ants, which are said to build entire thriving cities in a single branch of a tree, with each place being connected by carved out stairways, ladders, rope bridges, etc. Despite being people that live in trees, they all strangely dress in dapper little colored suits. Their animal mounts are (as you may recall from the film) snails. But the snails the tinies ride are actually surprisingly, incredibly fast little buggers. According to the book, the Tiny from the film is named Gluckuck.

Greenskins

These are Atreyu's people, but are completely omitted in the film. They are a humanoid race, but the book describes them (including Atreyu!) as having shimmering blue-black hair and olive green skin. They live in the Grassy Ocean (a large plains region) where they hunt creatures resembling giant purple buffalo, about three times the size and ferocity of a bull. To prove himself, every adolescent Greenskin must take down one of these creatures to become a man. You see in the film that Atreyu has vaguely "indian-looking" clothes, but his hair has no bluish-ness to it, and his skin is certainly not green. In the book, Atreyu has to abandon his proving to accept the Empress's mission, which is kind of a big deal.

Morla the Ancient One

"Shell Island" in the Swamps of Sadness turns out to be a gigantic ancient tortoise who has been living so long, and in utter isolation, that she has become a grumpy, stubborn, schizophrenic old hag of a tortoise. In the film, she's depicted as mostly a stubborn old nihilistic creature, and she kind of is, but in the book she's presented as mostly acting this way at first in order to get Atreyu to go away and leave her alone. In the book, after Atreyu gets kinda smart-assy with her, it makes her laugh, and then she talks to Atreyu fairly extensively and tells him a lot of the information he was looking for, some of which is different than the information she tells him in the movie, since the movie takes some fairly large liberties with the plot and the lore.

Yggramul The Many (aka: "The Horror of Horrors")

Totally absent from the film. As described earlier in the thread, Yggramul is a writhing swarm of hornet-like insects with a hive mind that shapeshift their swarm to look like a giant tarantula, a giant scorpion, or other deadly creature. She moves VERY quickly and easily overwhelms any victim on account of her being nearly impossible to outrun or seriously injure. She just envelops her prey in her cloud of hornets and almost instantly incapacitates them. Yggramul describes herself as a "she", though whether she actually has a sex is debatable. She lives in a deep, dark crevice in one of the far corners of the world. Her voice is produced out of the sound of the buzzing wings of all the little hornets in her swarm. If Yggramul "bites" you and gets her venom into you, you will die within the next hour. But in the meantime, the venom will allow you to wish yourself anywhere in the world you want to go. Yggramul would rather you not know that, though, otherwise all her prey would escape all the time.

(will post more!)

(contd)

Uyulala, The Voice of Silence

Arguably one of the most important moments of Atreyu's entire journey, omitted from the film. After passing through the sphinxes at the Southern Oracle (in the movie the sphinxes take a shot at him, which adds intensity to the film, but in the book they let him pass without a hitch), he then passes through the Magic Mirror Gate (which the movie depicts, but not in the same manner as the book), and THEN he pass through the No-Key Gate (which the movie does not depict at all). After passing through all three gates, he earns a conference with Uyalala, who is nothing more than a disembodied voice singing or humming a perpetual song. To stop singing is death for a creature that is nothing but a voice. Uyulala is infinitely wise and knows all sorts of ancient secrets that not even a creature like Morla the Ancient One would know. But the trick is that Uyulala is utterly deaf EXCEPT to people who speak to her in rhymed song. Questions are nourishing to her, and she will answer anything asked to her in rhymed song to the full extent of her knowledge.

Lirr, Baureo, Sheerek, and Mayestril: The Wind Giants

Four giant, shapeless cloud creatures that rule over the four winds. They are in a constant state of wrestling and fighting each other and only when Atreyu presents the Auryn do they stop fighting for the first time in all known history in order to answer Atreyu's questions. It is from the Wind Giants that Atreyu learns that it is impossible to reach the boundaries of the world, because the world has no boundaries. (I think Gmork is the one to give him that information in the movie.)

The Acharis

Beneath the Silver City---the most beautiful city in all the world---live the Acharis. They are grotesque and disgusting creatures that live in dark underground caverns to hide from the world. They are so ugly that they hate themselves and are ashamed of their ugliness to the point that all they do all day long is shed tears of sadness. The tears of the Acharis pool together and flow into Moru, the lake of tears, which is the magical water source that purifies the Silver City and is responsible for its world-renowned beauty.

Grograman, The Many-Colored Death

Unofficial king of Goab, the desert of colors, Grograman is a gigantic lion made of pure fire. He spends every day dashing across the sands of the desert of colors (where every mound of sand is a different color) at unbelievable speed. He is called the many-colored because the color of his flames changes to match the color of sand he is currently standing over (red fire, purple fire, white fire, blue fire, green fire, black fire, and every other imaginable color), and he is called death because he burns so incredibly hot that nothing around him for hundreds of miles can survive. Indeed, he does not simply LIVE IN the desert, it is his intense heat that MAKES the desert, and he carries the desert around him wherever he goes. I could write an entire book on Grograman, since in my opinion, he's the most interesting creature in the entire book, both in his visual awesomeness and in the emotional touch of his story arch, but I'll leave that part unspoiled. =]

The book is not only full of interesting creatures/characters, but interesting PLACES, which I'd love to share, but they're not really relevant to contributing creatures/beasties. Good book, though! Do recommend!

Rock Chewers

They appear in both the film and the original book (the book calls them Rock Chewers, but I think the film might call them Rock Eaters or Rock Biters), and the film actually does a fairly good job of depicting them according to the book's descriptions.

Are fairly sure they are called Felsenbeisser in the original book, so they should be called Rock Biters in the english version. Haven't read it in ages though. I do remember it as being a great book although I did watch the two movies before reading it.

Rock Chewers

They appear in both the film and the original book (the book calls them Rock Chewers, but I think the film might call them Rock Eaters or Rock Biters), and the film actually does a fairly good job of depicting them according to the book's descriptions.

Are fairly sure they are called Felsenbeisser in the original book, so they should be called Rock Biters in the english version. Haven't read it in ages though. I do remember it as being a great book although I did watch the two movies before reading it.

That's true. It is a translation! So this could be one instance where the movie simply did a direct translation rather than adopting the English translation by Ralph Manheim (who dubbed them Rock Chewers). I hadn't thought of that!

Unofficial king of Goab, the desert of colors, Grograman is a gigantic lion made of pure fire. He spends every day dashing across the sands of the desert of colors (where every mound of sand is a different color) at unbelievable speed. He is called the many-colored because the color of his flames changes to match the color of sand he is currently standing over (red fire, purple fire, white fire, blue fire, green fire, black fire, and every other imaginable color), and he is called death because he burns so incredibly hot that nothing around him for hundreds of miles can survive. Indeed, he does not simply LIVE IN the desert, it is his intense heat that MAKES the desert, and he carries the desert around him wherever he goes. I could write an entire book on Grograman, since in my opinion, he's the most interesting creature in the entire book, both in his visual awesomeness and in the emotional touch of his story arch, but I'll leave that part unspoiled. =]

He was my favourite character too!

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=grograman :D I used to have some of these as wallpaper images

We Passed 6000 votes! Thanks Again.

Just did this, working out a dream sequence and Camera angle.

DreamProto.jpg

300 votes to 4th place ! We're close to overtaking em !

I don't know if this is in the spirit of the whole event but the more donations you make the more time you can vote. The donation amount doesn't matter , so if you make 100 one dollar donations you get a hundred votes. I'll let Levi say if he approves or not.

Spread the word, tell your friends, lets get Black Lake to the top !

300 votes to 4th place ! We're close to overtaking em !

I don't know if this is in the spirit of the whole event but the more donations you make the more time you can vote. The donation amount doesn't matter , so if you make 100 one dollar donations you get a hundred votes. I'll let Levi say if he approves or not.

Spread the word, tell your friends, lets get Black Lake to the top !

Ha Ha! I like your style Karimi. I'd be all about 300 1 dollar votes if I wasn't such good friends with the other 22 people. Plus Lee Petty tells me what to do at work, I don't want him to make me give him a weeks worth of foot rubs. Again.

WooHooo! 100th post!

He was my favourite character too!

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=grograman :D I used to have some of these as wallpaper images

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

That is all.

Is there a special prize for the game that generates the most discussion? A prize something like it automatically wins and gets to be prototyped?

*page five flex*

Is there a special prize for the game that generates the most discussion? A prize something like it automatically wins and gets to be prototyped?

*page five flex*

Ha Ha! I'll ask Tim about that one first thing in the morning.

*page five flex*

Ha Ha! I'll ask Tim about that one first thing in the morning.

"Hey Levi, do you know why we just got five hundred 1 cent donations ?"

"Errrrrr....No....but uh, excuse me while I go give Petty some footrubs"

To bad it didn't make it , because you where pretty close the whole god damn time.

Well i'm just going to hope the other teams don't need all the people around in the office so that this still can work out ;-)

Hold on. I just bought Mark of the Ninja in the Steam Autumn Sale and it taught me how to deal with these kinds of situations. One prototype slot coming right up.

*puts on ninja mask and crawls into Double Fine ventilation shaft*

I didn't vote for black lake, but wow this proposal has some hard core fans...even if they are a niche market! ;)

Any chance of the contest being extended to the top 5 games? I feel like these guys deserve it!

Sign in to follow this