Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Black Lake: Voting Discussion Thread

Don't want to jinx you guys, but a team of 13.. that's an unlycky number (Unless your doing some weird satan game that is). Be sure to perform some lucky charm rituals before beginning development

This is actually one of my favorite pitches and ideas for this SF.

I only have the addition of offering some eerie and minor keyed acoustic guitar music for your game - but bravo, this was one of my favorite ideas.

To add to AnAnemoneInAnonymity's mood setting:

Here's some Grant Kirkhope magic to add to your idea:

Kirkhope's a freelancer these days. Please go and hire him for this Double Fine! :)

Don't want to jinx you guys, but a team of 13.. that's an unlycky number (Unless your doing some weird satan game that is). Be sure to perform some lucky charm rituals before beginning development

It's not unlucky if you're an ancient Egyptian! All this team needs is a mummy. Go around Levi a few times with a roll of toilet paper and we'll be good to go.

*Anemone saves the day*

This is probably closest from what I have seen to the mood I wish for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdqxyA9dTbs

Don’t want to jinx you guys, but a team of 13. that’s an unlycky number (Unless your doing some weird satan game that is). Be sure to perform some lucky charm rituals before beginning development

Nope, this game will have no problem with luck :D I think it will be the luckiest one of all. (and 13 is just number, if You think that it's bad number or associae it with bad things of course, a hell can get loose on You if You run into it)

There are actually 14 of us, but one of us split between two projects and another is part time, so we counted them as halves and made them one in tallying up.

Maybe not so unlucky. 9u9

I don't have videos, but a few of my favorite forest levels in games.

Pokemon Red/Blue's forest levels are always fun

Red Dead Redemption's forests are beautiful, it's a shame there weren't more.

Mass Effect 3's weird dream-forest levels were pretty great, even if they were a weird departure from the series.

To add to AnAnemoneInAnonymity's mood setting:

Here's some Grant Kirkhope magic to add to your idea:

*links snipped*

Kirkhope's a freelancer these days. Please go and hire him for this Double Fine! :)

The guy who wrote the BK music is FREELANCING?! Those soundtracks are some of the best and most memorable game soundtracks in the entirety of video game music! Dude is way talented. I hope he's finding work.

is all I can think of for favourite forest levels. :D I found it pretty entrancing at the time...

Lemmings link?!?! Spacebug, you get cooler with every post.

Wanted to say congratulations for Black Lake making it through; it was a pleasant surprise to see the running extended to the top five, so hope everything works out for the team.

As far as feelings on theme of searching for nightmares in the forest goes, I can't help but feel reminiscent of the softer solemn moments of titles like Silent Hill, or Deadly Premonition.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLq9DnkZHfU

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Per8-vAZAw0

The secret of kells could actually be a good source of inspiration with Aisling's character! I think I actually heard Andy mention it in the livestreamed pitches. =]

Haven't heard of that one. Looks very charming.

I missed the fact that you were talking about music. I agree that The Secret Of Kells has some good stuff for sure.

As far as feelings on theme of searching for nightmares in the forest goes, I can't help but feel reminiscent of the softer solemn moments of titles like Silent Hill, or Deadly Premonition.

Great games, SH2 have an excellent soundtrack and sound in general for that matter.

When talking about nightmarish soundtracks with a "forest feel" the movie Ravenous got some great and really eerie tunes by doing some experimenting with folk music. Maybe to much horror though.

BlackLake Thread! I've been Suuuuuper busy. Missed you folk. Sorry I haven't responded to all the great posts! I've been working with the newly formed Team Black Lake to get the project off to a smooth start. Aka meetings. But I got a really good team so the meetings are still awesome. It's my first time leading a team so my focus is going to be fully on the prototype. I'll for sure be reading your posts still though. Our first full day was good. Nobody quit and nobody tried to kill me. :)

timmyj brought up Joseph Campbell! Man that guy is so fun to listen to! If any one finds good clips of him breaking down mythology please share. His starWars break down is Great.

Congrats Levi!

Glad to see the game is going to be brought into life! I cant wait to play the crap out of it!

Also, thanks for that one time a few months ago, when I just showed up at Double Fine Studios. Standing on the sidewalk trying to figure out where the entrance was, and you just happened to be walking in. You asked what I was looking for, and you let me come in and see the place. It was awesome, I only wish I was there to help work on your game hahah.

Anyway, thanks for everything. Super excited to see how this comes into being.

-Stuart

timmyj brought up Joseph Campbell! Man that guy is so fun to listen to! If any one finds good clips of him breaking down mythology please share.

I own soooo many of his books.

The Hero With A Thousand Faces

The Power of Myth

Myths To Live By

Primitive Mythology

Occult Mythology

Occidental Mythology

Creative Mythology

I would let the team borrow them if I lived closer!

I like 3 best. What would it look like if the brown was darker? Light pale blue on dark brown looks stunning!

I like #1 simply because I have a fondness for longer, looser clothing, whether it's on characters or on myself.

Long coats > coats.

Cloak > no cloak

etc

But I'm not sure yet how that will jive with the upcoming world. I'd have to see her in a scene maybe. It looks like it might be a little too much clothing for a forest. Worried that she might look like she's dressed for fall/winter, you know? (Maybe it IS fall/winter! I don't know!)

I like #3 a lot, and I think she would be more interesting when animated, but something about her is very clean. I don't know all the details of her character yet, and again I would need to see her in the world, but just looking at the still image, the clothing looks like it is very well cut and designed, as though she were fitted for it. She almost looks like she's wearing a military uniform or a girl scout uniform. If that's the goal, then you're right on on target. If not so much, I wonder how she would look if you shortened/eliminated the sleeves and maybe made the sleaves/skirt line/edges a little rougher?

I love the eye patterns on the clothing, though. Definitely like where you're going with that. Also reminds me of an old Shel Silverstein poem:

The evil eye of Pooglie Pie

Look away, look away as you walk by,

For if you don't, you'll surely die.

You didn't... you did? Oh.

Goodbye.

I think they're all good potential designs, though I am kind of fond of the second one. It matches the scarf and shawl without appearing too cumbersome.

When talking about nightmarish soundtracks with a "forest feel" the movie Ravenous got some great and really eerie tunes by doing some experimenting with folk music. Maybe to much horror though.

Works for a nice juxtaposition of ominous and upbeat.

Sign in to follow this