Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Black Lake: Voting Discussion Thread

Number 1 is great, but I imagine number 3 is more practical and readable when animated.

You hit the nail on the head. 1 and 2 have great simple shape to them and feel pretty good. But Animation readability/ expressiveness for a game meant 3 was the best. Also long hair would be a time constraint issue (we are sharing our awesome rigging artist with some game called white birch). Other things we consider is the game cam we implement/ direction to game flow. if you ar going to see the characters back for a good portion of the game then is should be an interesting back. and maybe have some little simulating bouncy feathers on it. :)

I like 3 best. What would it look like if the brown was darker? Light pale blue on dark brown looks stunning!

Oh man Light pale blue on dark brown is awesome. I went lighter for readability in our specific lighting scenario. In the dark areas of the forest she'll look dark brown. :)

I love the eye patterns on the clothing, though. Definitely like where you're going with that. Also reminds me of an old Shel Silverstein poem:

The evil eye of Pooglie Pie

Look away, look away as you walk by,

For if you don't, you'll surely die.

You didn't... you did? Oh.

Goodbye.

I grew up with Where the Sidewalk Ends. Shel Silverstein is super cool.

were those foxes concepts for the player character's fox companion, or were they just regular ol foxes

The 2nd player as a little fox was a full game idea. We are focusing on a bunch of other really cool stuff for the prototype though. Do you like that Idea? We have foxes still.

were those foxes concepts for the player character's fox companion, or were they just regular ol foxes

The 2nd player as a little fox was a full game idea. We are focusing on a bunch of other really cool stuff for the prototype though. Do you like that Idea? We have foxes still.

Second player fox companion sounds like a fun way to add co-op in theory... though on the other hand I'm not sure. I mean, if I imagine playing ICO where a friend can play Yorda or Shadow of the Colossus where a friend can control the horse, it seems like it would detract from the atmosphere somehow. Is that weird? I sort of feel like, just as cooperation was a super important part of Journey, isolation was a super important part of both of those games. I believe that gameplay mechanics are often rhetorical, and just contrasting Journey and SotC sort of demonstrates that.

I guess for me it would first and foremost come down to the artistic goals of the game and whether co-op is a good fit for the game's particular flavor of universe. After that, it would depend on how the foxes are used in the game, so I may have to wait and find out more about the game mechanics first.

Still excited! Hope you and the team are having a good time!

I still like the idea of having various pets that you can choose from to add certain abilities and aid you on your journey, obviously I don't know what you have planned for the game, but I don't see how a fox player in co-op really works(not to mention I have no one to co-op with so it'd be a wasted part of the game for me sadly).

I really like that idea. Co-op where you work together, but have a completely different set of skills and/or can help out the main 'player' and play along. Local co-op as a fox would be neat for one of the more 'watcher' type gamers who just wants to tag along for the journey.

Really hoping for a really good moving animation style. I'm kinda hoping for a feeling of being one with the environment like in "Flower" where just being was cool but not sure that kind of thing can be done in the time limit.

Is it possible that each "Prototype" will come with a menu on the start screen that we can access with the art and the full game concept to help get across what was left out due to time/budget but would be core to the gameplay? It could really help get votes in for the final leg and Black Lake has the most art assets lying around as you have been tinkering with the concept for about a year?

I Like the animal/spirit companion idea's that kinda function as equipment/POV for puzzles but are also mapped to emotions/action by the things/events that caused the nightmare/bad dreams.

A Ven diagram with sight/scent/hearing or something that functioned as UI overlays (Depending on what fairytale/Dream lesson/Animal spirit) you were channelling at that moment would add an extra levels and re-playability to a level and also be a good excuse to be able to adjust the appearance of the main character model without changing the clothing much.

Just glad to see this come together and looking forward to more art and sketches :)

Drew

Number 1 is great, but I imagine number 3 is more practical and readable when animated.

You hit the nail on the head. 1 and 2 have great simple shape to them and feel pretty good. But Animation readability/ expressiveness for a game meant 3 was the best. Also long hair would be a time constraint issue (we are sharing our awesome rigging artist with some game called white birch). Other things we consider is the game cam we implement/ direction to game flow. if you ar going to see the characters back for a good portion of the game then is should be an interesting back. and maybe have some little simulating bouncy feathers on it. :)

On a side note, your art and subject matter for Black Lake remind me a lot of my own stuff and stuff I want to do. I would love working on a game like this.

I really hope yours does it. Whoever made the decision to include your pitch with the top 5 for prototyping must see the potential, too. I was SO glad to see that happen.

Second player fox companion sounds like a fun way to add co-op in theory... though on the other hand I'm not sure. I mean, if I imagine playing ICO where a friend can play Yorda or Shadow of the Colossus where a friend can control the horse, it seems like it would detract from the atmosphere somehow. Is that weird?

Ico actually offers you the option to have a second player control Yorda on subsequent playthroughs, if I remember correctly. I thought it was pretty cool, considering my girlfriend and I were already playing together anyway by passing the controller back and forth and helping each other figure out puzzles.

But it's definitely very important for you to experience Yorda's AI the first time you play it--it does become a very different game once you have direct control over her instead of her having her own weird sort of personality where she wanders off every now and discovers things on her own.

I'm very excited for this project.

Here's some mystical forest/nature inspiration, with some awesome music :)

Second player fox companion sounds like a fun way to add co-op in theory... though on the other hand I'm not sure. I mean, if I imagine playing ICO where a friend can play Yorda or Shadow of the Colossus where a friend can control the horse, it seems like it would detract from the atmosphere somehow. Is that weird?

Ico actually offers you the option to have a second player control Yorda on subsequent playthroughs, if I remember correctly. I thought it was pretty cool, considering my girlfriend and I were already playing together anyway by passing the controller back and forth and helping each other figure out puzzles.

But it's definitely very important for you to experience Yorda's AI the first time you play it--it does become a very different game once you have direct control over her instead of her having her own weird sort of personality where she wanders off every now and discovers things on her own.

Yorda as playable on a second playthrough!!????? No way. Thats wild!

I agree! This is completely new information to me! I don't know what to think! I have a feeling I would find it "nifty" but prefer the single player version.

i did fanart for Autonomous and SpaceBaseDF9, so i decided to do something for this too :)

blacklake.png

- Cellusious

Holy Snap! I'm taking down something off the art wall tomorrow and putting this up in it's place!

That was missing in the north american version, along with an additional weapon, translation of yordas speech and a slightly different end scene you could also get on the second playthrough. I remember reading somewhere that they had to rush the american version to get it out before some holiday or something. Because of that it's missing a lot of stuff, even graphical effects and full puzzles. I recommend getting the PS3 HD release as that is based on the PAL version.

That was missing in the north american version, along with an additional weapon, translation of yordas speech and a slightly different end scene you could also get on the second playthrough. I remember reading somewhere that they had to rush the american version to get it out before some holiday or something. Because of that it's missing a lot of stuff, even graphical effects and full puzzles. I recommend getting the PS3 HD release as that is based on the PAL version.

Yorda's speech translated?! BLASPHEMY!

I saw someone else post some fan art in this thread- so hopefully that's okay?? I've totally been doing little doodles based on a lot of the prototypes for fun between working on projects. Here's one of the Black Lake ones! Without the background, because I ended up not liking it.

blacklakedoodle1.jpg

I have to admit, I was intrigued with Black Lake from the pitch videos, but it wasn't at the top of my list. However, after seeing more art/ideas/more of the game in general on the stream, it's totally the one that I'm most excited for! I'm really looking forward to it.

I saw someone else post some fan art in this thread- so hopefully that's okay?? I've totally been doing little doodles based on a lot of the prototypes for fun between working on projects. Here's one of the Black Lake ones! Without the background, because I ended up not liking it.

I have to admit, I was intrigued with Black Lake from the pitch videos, but it wasn't at the top of my list. However, after seeing more art/ideas/more of the game in general on the stream, it's totally the one that I'm most excited for! I'm really looking forward to it.

WOW - super awesome! (just forwarded it to the Black Lake team!)

blacklakedoodle1.jpg

This is great, Conrad! Very inspirational. :) Thanks for sharing that with us!

WOW - super awesome! (just forwarded it to the Black Lake team!)

Awwww Yeeeeahhh! This is great!

I'm not going to judge Black Lake from the livestream, since honestly they didn't want to show much, and I didn't get a good idea of the gameplay, however, I just want to state that this game is amazingly beautiful. I can't wait to explore this world.

This was the vibe i got from Black lake, mushroom infested creatures..

DF_blacklake.png

Very Cool!

I wanted crazy mushrooms to erupt from the ground as a precursor to the giant thorns growing but time ran out. Awesome art man.

Sign in to follow this