• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

The White Birch: Voting Discussion Thread

A big hand everyone for Ben Burbank: he is, without a shadow of a doubt, the tallest programmer to ever work on the white birch!

Woooo! Ben!!

The whole team seemed awesome (if bigger than you'd mentioned wanting).

This is the game where I'd vaporize some 'sage' before playing.

i.e. Get 'pebbled'

Congrats Andy on getting The White Birch off the ground.

For some reason, I'm imagining a playable version of Steerpike escaping across the rooftops of the castle in the Gormenghast books.

Sounds awesome - can't wait to see what you come up with.

you lot are mind readers.. I've been thinking a lot of Gormenghast as tower inspiration

+1 for Brian music/sound-design stream.

Post those design-docs you keep mentioning, Andy! :)

... if Only I can figure out how to put it on repeat…...

:-) that shouldn't be a problem..

here are the MP3 Files: (including a new piece)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/vonn7y

I'm really glad there's people out there with a love for those kind of games. very inspiring.

(I propably keep making new pieces. i'll put them on my soundcloud and keep the link in this post up to date, so whoever is interested, feel free to download the stuff.)

Yay! This is so cool. I'm glad we inspired you to make some music and now your music is going to inspire me making the art! That's so happy.

hey, i thought id chime in and say i really like the sound of this project and think you have an awesome team!

Andy you are a really cool guy! inspiring stuff

So i did fanart for Spacebase, Autonomous, Black Lake, so here's my take of the tower in the screenshot. ( Here )

Whitebirch.png

Amazing demo stream, can't wait to give it a try on Friday! Congrats Andy & team! :)

Amazing demo stream, can't wait to give it a try on Friday! Congrats Andy & team! :)

jonathanfrisby:we meet again....

Thanks! And thanks to everyone else who support, voted, said nice things, composed music (!!) made fan art, etc, etc.

I've been genuinely humbled by how awesome the feedback and contributions from you guys has been over the last few weeks and I want to thank you all not for myself but on behalf of the whole team. I also want to call out the team and ask you all to show your gratitude as they were the ones who did the work:

White Birch team:

Adrian Melian

Ben Burbank

Ben Peck

Brian Min

Chad Dawson

Dave Russell

David Gardner

Derek Brand

Jane Ng

Malena Annable

Matt Hansen

Panya Inversin

Shao Wei Liu

peace

-A

I also thought that the White Birch demo looked great. I know this type of game is nearly impossible to get fully right in two weeks, but I thought the animation was gorgeous and it looks like a lot of fun. I can't wait to give it a go this Friday.

I hope this gets the go-ahead, as the team did some amazing work in a very limited amount of time.

It's short, but that's perfect for allowing it to live as a prototype and as a full fleshed game in the way that Andy Wood first considered.

Backstory alone will flesh out the entire game and the animations are a definitely the shining star here. I'm very curious ti discover/explore that Achievements page starting on Friday.

When they got to the end of the prototype on the livestream I was sad that it was over and really, really wanted to see more of the game. I think that's a sign that they've got a hit on their hands. :)

Adrian Melian

Ben Burbank

Ben Peck

Brian Min

Chad Dawson

Dave Russell

David Gardner

Derek Brand

Jane Ng

Malena Annable

Matt Hansen

Panya Inversin

Shao Wei Liu

*walks down the line and, one by one, gives them each a bear hug and a noogie*

Hey thanks guys! That was super fun! It was neat because I didn't work on the Cave but most of the other White Birchers did, it was neat getting tight with the team and pulling off our prototype. Some late nights with some terrible bugs but it was fun! Basically every time I got latest code/data from perforce there was something new to look at.

Finally got to watch the stream, I'm amazed by this game. Every aspect of it looks fantastic and I really hope you guys get to make a full version

I just played throught the prototype and I 'd like to congratulate The White Birch Team.

I've been really catched by the atmosphere, details in the animation, environments and the gameplay.

I could understand from the videos that it's pretty difficult to create a plateformer 3D in such a short time and you did an impressive good job in such conditions.

keep up the good work :)

This is a fantastic merge of platforming and puzzles. You curse alot while dying a thousand deaths and the satisfying feeling you get when you finally solve it is breathtaking.

Finally got to play the prototype. Absolutely love the mood and the Ico vibe, congrats to the team! I really hope you have the chance to turn this into a fleshed out game.

Obviously there's a lot of praise in this thread and others already, which I definitely agree with, excellent work, well done everyone involved.

I just thought I'd my extra little tidbit - the documentary and game have caused me to seek out Ico and Shadow of the Colossus HD collection on PS3 which is now in the mail on its way to me. So if for whatever reason this game doesn't make it to the next stage, at least you've raised awareness for some of your favourite games!

White Birch was one of the games I voted for, it was great seeing it "alive"!

I loved the mood, I'm not a fan (euphemism) of platforms so I was a bit turned down by the game controls, but not to the point of not seeing its great potential. Hope this will have the chance of growing to a full game!

Now, if only I managed to jump and grab the rope in the demo and go on with it I could give you even more feedback :)

Sign in to follow this