Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Black_Hand

Amnesia Fortnight

So... it appears Oliver has been promoting Redbot early on, very sneaky, but now we must vote for Redbot, it's the law you know.

There are a good half dozen games I'd like to see, so hopefully one of 'em makes it!

Smiles

Seriously guys, youre not going to make redbot one of the winners? im dissapointed!

https://www.humblebundle.com/double-fine

Absolutely not. Where's Hipster Lumberjack?????

I think Hipster Lumberjack is in the dancing minigame in their new Kinect game, so he's busy getting his groove on to bands are so obscure and underground that you probably haven't heard of them.

SO MANY GOOD IDEAS. I was happy to find out we could cast as many votes as we wanted to. I would like to play the majority of these.

GAMES VOTED FOR:

1) BLACK LAKE - Probably my top choice. Such a captivating idea for an adventure. It's the only one I wished I could vote for more than once. Yes, yes, yes. MY INTEREST. YOU HAS IT.

2) Hack n' Slash - This sounds like a game that---much like SpaceChem---I would enjoy sucking at. A really novel idea for a puzzle/problem-solving game. Not only that, but in a time where genre mashups are becoming trendy, this idea feels fresh and new. Distinctive. I like that.

3) Autonomous - All I can remember is "build cool robots to help you" and "1980s-inspired art/world". It turns out that's all I needed to be sufficiently turned on. Tell me more....

4) The White Birch - I'm sold on this one in pretty much the same way that I'm sold on Black Lake. I love an adventure with incredible atmosphere. However, Black Lake managed to convince me that it actually HAS atmosphere in the pitch by explaining to me the idea that informs the world. I feel like I already have a sense of that world. The White Birch SOUNDS like something I'm interested in, but the pitch mostly promises me that it will be "atmospheric", but the idea feels more nebulous than Black Lake. Still: interest piqued.

5) Kaiju Piledriver - Not much to say. Just sounds like good simple fun! It's hard to go wrong with godzilla smashery. Also, Brad seems like a really great guy for delivering pitches. He seems to have natural confidence and radiates a sort of goofy/happy energy. You can plug your ears and not even listen to the words he's saying and he still just looks like he's telling you about something fun that you'd want to know about. What, Brad? The party's where? OKAY. SEE YOU THERE.

6) Bad Golf - It's been a while since I played a good golf game, but the thing that made me really vote for this was probably mostly my imagination. I started remembering how much fun I had with Mario Golf, and then I started thinking about all the wonderful things Mario Kart brings to simple racing, and I thought... what if this could be like the Mario Kart of golf? I feel like the idea is maybe going to appeal to a limited audience (mostly because I feel like golf appeals to a limited audience within games), but I just really want it to exist.

RUNNERS UP

A few that I reeeeeallllly wanted to vote on and hovered my finger over the mouse for a long time, but just couldn't decide. These ones have a high probability of getting a swing vote out of me.

1) The Flock - In principle, I am 100% for this idea. It's unique, it's fresh (i.e., it's not about dungeons or dragons or space or post apocalyptic wastelands, etc). The thing that really stopped me though was that I felt like I only understood that the theme/world/concept was about migrating ducks. I didn't understand very well what the literal GAME was, so that gave me pause.

2) Milgrim - Loooove the idea. However, I've played 2D tower defense. The theme/concept is really fun, but in terms of gameplay, I'm wondering what makes it distinctive. I mean, I could imagine things. For example, levels in Mario don't just have obstacles; they also have HELPFUL things: mushrooms, flowers, etc. Maybe part of the fun is figuring out what to do with the mandatory hero-helping objects. I dunno. Seems cool. I just want to know a little more.

3) Battle Bros - When I think about what this game could actually be like, it sounds like a really, really, really fun idea. Especially if you can do it co-op like Double Dragon, Final Fight, etc. I feel like it was a little bit undersold. A proof of concept would help this idea a lot. I am monitoring this game! (I'm thinking the game will be somewhat like Dungeon Fighter Online? Only better because it's a roguelike and not an F2P MMORPG?)

4) ECHELON - I want to be very clear that I am VERY INTERESTED, but I think maybe the thing that is hurting this game in votes is that it's sort of a higher concept game. Personally, when I watch the pitch, my mind immediately goes to the game

, which is incredibly sexy, and the world is hurting for another hacking/espionage type game that's actually really good. But even a really great game like UPLINK would be a hard concept to convey in a short pitch video. MONITORING THIS GAME.

5) Redbot's Reboot - Cool! So basically you'd be programming redbot with a set of actions/commands and then just setting him loose on a level and watching to see if he completes it? And then if he fails, you tweak the program? I'm assuming there would be a list of actions to choose from and the player would just sequence them, sort of like "programming" allies in FFXII or Dragon Age? I think this is another really great idea, but also high concept when placed right next to "BE GODZILLA AND SMASH THINGS". Interested in this idea. Monitoring this game!

FINAL THOUGHT:

WHY IS DOUBLE FINE SO DAMN COOL THIS YEAR?!?! This company is on track to becoming the Nintendo of crowdsourcing/community involvement: catching other companies with their pants down by doing all the new cool stuff while everyone else is still mimicking what DF did last month.

FINAL FINAL THOUGHT: Re: Redbot & Milgrim

If neither of them wins, I'd also be interested in Redbot's Reboot and Milgrim slightly revised into a single game that is a sort of "Mario Playset". They're both ways of "programming" a level of Mario, just from different sides. It could even be a fun way to add asynchronous multiplayer. JUST SAYING.

A lot of ideas I'd love to see realized, but the ones that most resonated with me were:

- Black Lake

- The White Birch

- Spacebase DF9

Also, the video was extremely amusing, and well acted! Nice work, all involved. I love the idea of bringing the community in on the Amnesia Fortnight process, but if public voting neglects an idea you guys see a lot of potential in I hope you still give it a chance at some point.

I feel like White Birch's use of "Ico" and "Journey" in it's description is kind of a loaded gun.

There are a lot of interesting ideas, and it was hard for me to choose just a few, but I'm going to vote for the following in this order:

1. Milgrim - I think this one's got a lot of potential seeing all the sandbox aspects of it. Seeing the success of games like Minecraft and Terraria, I think this could be a big hit.

2. Black Lake - is an action adventure which sounds pretty intriguing. Levi is a pretty awesome artist so I know it'll look great. Also, coupled with the already existing Brutal Legend engine, I think a pretty decent game can be made much easier than usual for something this size.

3. Primordial Slime - this looks like the perfect kind of game for the smart phone. Fun, quick, and can be played in small increments. Interesting concept with the potential for a lot of creative ways to make puzzles.

These ideas are so cool, there are too many that i would love to play! Bragging & Fighting won me though, i'm a little bummed that its only 4 spots, because i can already see it won't make it =( but the chosen 4 will still be incredible! Love You Double Fine!!!

Milgrim sounds retarded...ly awesome. Imagine a quirky tower defense / sandbox mix made by the Geniuses of Moderate Evil at Double Fine.

IMAGINE!

1) I'm glad Autonomous is securely in the top 4 for now, and I will rage if it drops below that spot. My 2 person team had a nearly identical game idea but we don't have the time to do it justice with all the other things we want to work on, so having a Double Fine version of it would be awesome.

2) Hack n' Slash I do enjoy games that give you tools and then trust you to figure out how to use them, that's why I like Autonomous and that's why I like this one.

3) Spacebase I mean it's the same reason again, but I just love the idea of emergent things happening out of the relationships between characters. My team has talked about a few smaller-scope ideas around some similar concepts, and I'd love to see what Double Fine does with this kind of play.

Those are my big 3 and fortunately they're in the top 4. I'm not fully convinced by the voting approach because I worry that ideas that might not be popular in pitch but would turn out great might not make it. I'm not sure all the games DF has made in the last few years as a result of Amnesia Fortnight would have made it using this method. Maybe we'd have got even better games - but maybe not. However, I do think it's a fun experiment to do for at least one year.

I also voted for Echelon (why isn't this getting more votes?), Kaiju Piledriver, The White Birch, Milgrim, Bragging and Fighting, Redbot's Reboot, The Knockover and Turk. So, quite a few!

If they don't make Spacebase then at least you can get Startopia on GOG now.

In fact everyone should probably play Startopia anyway, it's charming space station sim fun with a sarcastic British computer/valet.

Voted for:

- Milgrim (I love the concept, and think the art direction could be very cool and retro)

-CritterVerse (Sounds like it could be very addictive, and who wouldn't want to cruise around the galaxy rescuing critters?)

-Space Base (This is my dream game, made real)

-The White Birch (The concept is great and i'm really excited to see what the DF artists could do with this)

I was super pumped about CritterVerse, but I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that it probably won't win. I'm also kind of surprised that more people aren't voting for Milgrim.

I'm not fully convinced by the voting approach because I worry that ideas that might not be popular in pitch but would turn out great might not make it. I'm not sure all the games DF has made in the last few years as a result of Amnesia Fortnight would have made it using this method. Maybe we'd have got even better games - but maybe not. However, I do think it's a fun experiment to do for at least one year.

I agree with this. Some of these ideas are really great and deserve to be games, but there are three things working against some of the less-voted games:

1) Vague Pitches - I feel like the pitches for, say, Black Lake and Space Base do a pretty good job of explaining not only what the THEMES will be, but also what the actual GAME is and why that would be fun/interesting. This is partly helped by the fact that there are already well-understand genre conventions that the pitches can just quickly reference. That makes a game easier to quickly grasp, but it also means it may not be as fresh an idea. Compare that to, say, The Flock, which sounds like a creative and inspired idea, but which also seems harder to compare to existing genres (the genre of bird migration games...?). Much like, per Sagan, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, I would posit that extraordinary game ideas require extraordinary argument/explanation. Otherwise people are just gonna put their money (or vote) on the safe bet. The familiar.

2) Strong Competition - Just like the box office, sometimes movies are really extraordinarily great movies, but then it also sometimes turns out that ANOTHER really extraordinarily great movie comes out at exactly the same time and sort of steals the first movie's thunder. It doesn't make that first movie a bad movie at all. It just means it was not the best time and place for that movie. Just so with some of these ideas. Very, very good ideas. But SO MANY good ideas. I don't think the games that don't make the top 4 are "losers" necessarily. The competition is just very strong.

3) Resignation Threshold - It sort of happens with online voting systems. We already know that it happens with kickstarters. The idea that a thing can get so many votes so fast that people just assume it's going to get voted for, so they cast their vote for it as well. Specifically, they vote for that one instead of the other one that has fewer votes in the same amount of time, because what's the point of voting for a game that doesn't look like it's going to win? That's a wasted vote! I'd rather be a winner! It's a weird thing and doesn't really make sense when you think about it, but people really do it.

But maybe Tim and DF will not just look at the top 4 for this amnesia fortnight event, but will also look at how much interest even numbers 5,6,7,and8 got. Why throw away ideas that might be the most popular ideas next year, once this year's top 4 are games?

A lot of ideas I'd love to see realized, but the ones that most resonated with me were:

- Black Lake

- The White Birch

- Spacebase DF9

Also, the video was extremely amusing, and well acted! Nice work, all involved. I love the idea of bringing the community in on the Amnesia Fortnight process, but if public voting neglects an idea you guys see a lot of potential in I hope you still give it a chance at some point.

I'm with you on Black Lake and The White Birch

I'm pretty much happy of the current situation of the top 4; my top choice (Hack 'n' Slash), which is the only one that I feel it has both gameplay potential and originality, has pretty much secured its spot. There is also something for my action adventuresque soul, White Birch, and the other two games, although I have totally no interest for, seem like solid ideas and have will bring great variety to the streaming show.

I had also voted for the Black Lake, which is probably suffering for the lackness of gameplay infos in the pitch video (I would think it has pretty much the same audience of The White Birch, but it's not having the exact same response, while the two "blob" games are really close instead), Critterverse (but it does feel like it would be more apt for a smaller team) and I am on the fence for Kaiju, although it won't be bad to see it in the works to see how it'll overcome the trickyness in design (but sadly I also suppose a roguelike can't be depicted effectively in a prototype), so I am not surprised it's currently ranked #5. An applause to voters anyway; choices seem mature and tasteful.

I really love the idea of letting us vote on Amnesia Fortnight but I wish we couldnt see other peoples votes. I found it really influenced my choice. Some ideas that I liked, I didnt vote for because I could see they wouldnt get enough votes. Still I think its a brilliant idea and I love having the power to help Double Fine make great games!

I'm not fully convinced by the voting approach because I worry that ideas that might not be popular in pitch but would turn out great might not make it. I'm not sure all the games DF has made in the last few years as a result of Amnesia Fortnight would have made it using this method. Maybe we'd have got even better games - but maybe not. However, I do think it's a fun experiment to do for at least one year.

I agree with this. Some of these ideas are really great and deserve to be games, but there are three things working against some of the less-voted games:

1) Vague Pitches - I feel like the pitches for, say, Black Lake and Space Base do a pretty good job of explaining not only what the THEMES will be, but also what the actual GAME is and why that would be fun/interesting. This is partly helped by the fact that there are already well-understand genre conventions that the pitches can just quickly reference. That makes a game easier to quickly grasp, but it also means it may not be as fresh an idea. Compare that to, say, The Flock, which sounds like a creative and inspired idea, but which also seems harder to compare to existing genres (the genre of bird migration games...?). Much like, per Sagan, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, I would posit that extraordinary game ideas require extraordinary argument/explanation. Otherwise people are just gonna put their money (or vote) on the safe bet. The familiar.

2) Strong Competition - Just like the box office, sometimes movies are really extraordinarily great movies, but then it also sometimes turns out that ANOTHER really extraordinarily great movie comes out at exactly the same time and sort of steals the first movie's thunder. It doesn't make that first movie a bad movie at all. It just means it was not the best time and place for that movie. Just so with some of these ideas. Very, very good ideas. But SO MANY good ideas. I don't think the games that don't make the top 4 are "losers" necessarily. The competition is just very strong.

3) Resignation Threshold - It sort of happens with online voting systems. We already know that it happens with kickstarters. The idea that a thing can get so many votes so fast that people just assume it's going to get voted for, so they cast their vote for it as well. Specifically, they vote for that one instead of the other one that has fewer votes in the same amount of time, because what's the point of voting for a game that doesn't look like it's going to win? That's a wasted vote! I'd rather be a winner! It's a weird thing and doesn't really make sense when you think about it, but people really do it.

But maybe Tim and DF will not just look at the top 4 for this amnesia fortnight event, but will also look at how much interest even numbers 5,6,7,and8 got. Why throw away ideas that might be the most popular ideas next year, once this year's top 4 are games?

I think you make good points, but a few notes on them

1) I know, a lot of people are asking for specifics in the forums, but this isn't the time for specifics. Part of prototyping is in nailing those specifics down. All they can talk about are possibilities. Since games come from all sorts of places, the ones that have a sort of easy to grasp concept might fare better than the ones that aren't quite so pinned down and more based on feelings about what the mood should be - but on the other hand, The White Birch is doing great! I think more of a concern is that small ideas that might be really cool may just be drowned in bigger ideas. Like I love Turk as an idea and voted for it but I sort of understand why it's not doing great. Actually maybe that comes under...

2) This one.

But anyway,

3) I guess the 'wasted vote' is not so much of a concern when you can vote for as many as you can. If you've payed at least $1, I guess you're at least remotely invested in the concept, so you'd think most of those people will be willing to run through all the pitches and upvote all the ones you like.

BUT on the other hand, there is this other issue. I voted for Kaiju, and I'd love to see that game. But not as much as I'd love to see Autonomous. Which means if they end up competing for 4th place, Kaiju will lose my vote, even though I totally think it's cool. So there's a slight element of tactical voting which might come into play.

EDIT: I guess one reason many of these ideas might not be revisited if they don't win is that... well, there are always more ideas. These are some great ideas. But I've had two of them (almost identically) personally, and on our personal wiki there are at least 15 ideas we may or may not get around to working on, and we certainly won't make them all. They could all be great games. We have to be resigned to the fact that some won't happen.

By next year, they'll do another amnesia fortnight with another 20ish games, most of which won't get prototyped, and of the ones that will, perhaps half will get made. And they've been doing this for a few years now. That's a LOT of dropped ideas. It always seems a shame to abandon ideas, until you realise just how many of the damned things there are, crawling into your mind and distracting you from the other ideas you're supposed to be working on.

That said, if someone's really passionate about an idea that does well but fails to get into the top 4, I'm sure they'd be tempted to pitch it again next time.

I'm analyzing the projects right now. The Flock sounds a lot like Endless Forest...

EDIT: So, my votes:

Silent But Deadly: it'd be fun to see. It's a truly new concept. If it was a continuous runner, like Jetpack Joyride, I wouldn't vote for it, but, as a stealth-based game, I'd like to see.

Turk: I don't know how fun it'd be, but I think we need more games that make us think in a different way.

White Birch: it's pretty ambitious, but DF can pull it off.

Black Lake: the concept gives room to a lot of interesting ideas.

Redbot's Reboot: I just wanted to support Redbot. Everyone loves Redbot.

Some concepts reminded me of Notch's upcoming 0x10c and others reminded me of games like Fluidity and Vessel.

I wonder if maybe next year (should they choose to do this again) if they couldn't make it so that the community can RANK the games in order of how interested they are, just like arranging a wish list on Steam, with #1 being the game you're most interested in and #24 being the game you're least interested in.

This way, ALL games get "voted for", but they would be scored like golf, and the game that was voted closer to #1 most often would have one of the lowest scores and win a slot.

I only say that because, as everyone has already pointed out, you can vote for ALL games right now if you want to. But while I voted for both Black Lake and Bad Golf, the voting system counts these as votes communicating equal interest, but I'm actually a little more interested in Black Lake than Bad Golf. Why not just make a system where you DO vote for every game? Just have us rank them. I wonder how the results would change if they were weighted in this way.

Yeah, I agree. For the future it might be nice to have the following features in the vote:

-ability to score from 1-5, your top 5 favorite ideas (or 1-however many games you can vote for)

-the vote should be blind meaning that you can't see where the game currently ranks

-and perhaps a system that won't allow you to vote until all videos have been viewed

Yeah, I agree. For the future it might be nice to have the following features in the vote:

-ability to score from 1-5, your top 5 favorite ideas (or 1-however many games you can vote for)

-the vote should be blind meaning that you can't see where the game currently ranks

-and perhaps a system that won't allow you to vote until all videos have been viewed

I think I agree with the first two, but I'm not sure about the last one. In principle, I think a person SHOULD watch all the pitches, but I don't know how I feel about forcing them to watch all of them.

I think all the games should just appear in a list, and you should just be able to drag/drop them into the order you would consider most-to-least interesting. Then wait and announce the results after the voting period is over. It would be exciting and scary! Like an election!

Anemone: and they shouldnt be ordered at random when you reload the page! its annoying if you watch a couple of videos and then you decide to throw money at them for no apparent reason and then ordering becomes different and you have to go through the same videos when hitting "next".

But then, I wonder if they'd even want to do it this way, every year. It's an interesting experiment, but it does tend to favour certain types of projects. And by voting on this we may be deciding a big part of the company's future for the next year or two. I think it would be a fun thing to do every few years, like the Olympics :)

Sign in to follow this