• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Brazen!

The Brazen prototype was built during Double Fine’s Amnesia Fortnight in 2011. It was then improved with three new classes and an updated cinematic art style in preparation for the Amnesia Fortnight 2012 bundle. Inspired by the Golden Age of Hollywood and the incredible stop-motion creatures of Ray Harryhausen, Brazen is an action game where players cooperatively battle giant creatures with a variety of larger-than-life characters.

Download a PDF containing all of this information here: http://www.doublefine.com/assets/brazen/BRAZEN_Instructions.pdf

How to Play

In the BRAZEN prototype, you and up to three friends will go blade-to-claw against the deadly Gorgoth. Evade attacks and strike back with the Stalwart’s fightin’ shield, the Waracle’s quiver of weapon arrows, or the Beerzerker’s war steins.

Single Player

To play a single player game:

- Click Solo Game at the start menu.

- Select your Class and Difficulty by clicking on the buttons at the bottom of the screen or on the character portrait.

- Click Launch Game to start.

Multiplayer via Steam

To invite a friend to your game on Steam:

- Click Private Game at the start menu.

- Press Shift-Tab to access the Steam Overlay.

- Invite a friend by clicking the triangle next to their name in the Friends List and clicking “Invite to Game.”

- See your Friend’s List by clicking “VIEW FRIENDS LIST” in bottom right corner of the Steam Overlay.

- Press Shift-Tab to close the Steam Overlay.

- Select your Class and Difficulty as in Solo Game.

- All players can change the Difficulty Setting in multiplayer.

- Click Launch Game to start.

To join a friend playing BRAZEN on Steam

- Either click “Join Game” on a Game Invite sent to you by a Steam Friend or click the triangle next to a friend’s name in the Steam Friends List and click “Join Game.”

- Select your Class and Difficulty as in Solo Game.

- Wait for the hosting player to click Launch Game.

Basic Controls

BRAZEN can be played with either the keyboard and mouse or a gamepad.

basiccontrols.png

Character Classes

Each character has unique attacks and abilities highlighted below, so hunt the mighty Gorgoth with all three!

characters.png

Problems? Let Us Know!

If you run into any problems playing BRAZEN, please let us know. You can email us at support@doublefine.com or post in the support thread.

I give this prototype a manly, drunken thumbs up! Will have to try out the multiplayer later once some of my Backer friends get it installed.

2012-11-21_00003.jpg

2012-11-21_00003.jpg.59894ee50f250624ebd

I give this prototype a manly, drunken thumbs up! Will have to try out the multiplayer later once some of my Backer friends get it installed.
YEAH MEEPS! :D! You might be the first non-Double Finer to slay the Gorgoth! :D!

Who's publishing Brazen? Also, what platforms will it be for, other than Steam?

None of this is determined right now! Brazen currently only exists in prototype form.

This prototype is a blast! I hope it gets a full release eventually.

Mouse sensitivity was a bit high (I don't expect adjustable sensitivity to be in a prototype, but I think it's worth mentioning), but it ran well for me.

The idea of trying to make the monsters herky jerky like Harryhausen films is interesting. For a 'real thing' I would love to see that developed even more - doing stuff that mimics the limitations of old school animation techniques is a p rad idea. I was talking to a stop-motion animator the other day about how as a kid those Harryhausen films have this otherworldly quality to them where the herky jerkiness to a kid watching it makes it even scarier because for all you know, that's what these things might really move like. They seem like something that came more out of your nightmares that way.

If this were to be made into an actual thing, would it be more kind of an action oriented 'co op battle against a huge tough monster' (kind of like a co-op take on 'shadow of the colossus') or would it have RPG elements? (Like monster hunter) More importantly - though the game would likely be more boss-battle focused, would there be group battles against Harryhausen skeletons? (Maybe that would just be part of a larger battle against a sorcery boss.)

I gotta say, this is incredibly well polished for a PROTOTYPE, three hero classes, online multiplayer. Awesome!

I've not played monster hunter before but i'm sure there's space for a similar game type to play with your friends on steam.

It's gameplay was actually quite reminiscent of Darksouls, the only thing missing was the lock-on to target button (a feature one doesn't usually expect from a prototype)

I played with the gamepad, it had kinda odd placement and each character had different button placements that werent immediately obvious but it played pretty well.

Biggest problem i found was the boss stuns, perhaps the boss can warn you before he attacks and give you a decent chance to get away.

I didnt know where the weak point was and every part of the body was dealing equal amounts of damage, I couldent find a safe spot to stand either i stood by the tail and got tail swiped :)

The animation was incredible and really well polished. I'm hoping you guys develop a beta patch release schedule i'm sure the community will be right behind you.

I gotta say, this is incredibly well polished for a PROTOTYPE, three hero classes, online multiplayer. Awesome!

I've not played monster hunter before but i'm sure there's space for a similar game type to play with your friends on steam.

It's gameplay was actually quite reminiscent of Darksouls, the only thing missing was the lock-on to target button (a feature one doesn't usually expect from a prototype)

I played with the gamepad, it had kinda odd placement and each character had different button placements that werent immediately obvious but it played pretty well.

Biggest problem i found was the boss stuns, perhaps the boss can warn you before he attacks and give you a decent chance to get away.

I didnt know where the weak point was and every part of the body was dealing equal amounts of damage, I couldent find a safe spot to stand either i stood by the tail and got tail swiped :)

The animation was incredible and really well polished. I'm hoping you guys develop a beta patch release schedule i'm sure the community will be right behind you.

I've played the Souls and Monster Hunter series a lot and this definitely plays like a slightly smoother MH game on the PC. Lock on I'd say shouldn't be in this type of game since even in Dark Souls/Demon's Souls the best way to fight the larger bosses was to unlock on and manually aim your character, something that is ridiculously easier with a mouse than the "claw" needed in MH games. Monster Hunter doesn't even have lock on, which isn't to say this game couldn't have it, I just think it would end up getting in the way on harder difficulties where camera positioning will become essential to success and having the game lock on to a certain part of a giant monster will end up getting one killed (think the Gaping Dragon in Dark Souls and how the fight became much easier once you turned off lock on so you could look at what you needed to instead of his torso).

GREAT PROTOTYPE though I might add. Far smoother and graphically appealing than I expected from this early in development. Definitely made a fan out of me as this is my kind of game which sadly is severely underrepresented in the PC space. Can't wait for the full release (please say it will be 60FPS in the final version though!).

It's not a bad prototype, although I had the feeling that it misses a twist to stand out and the end result looks kinda plain (so not something I'd expect from Double Fine), eg Shadows of the Colossus had the grabbing mechanics, Dark Souls has the fiendish difficulty, Monster Hunter has the bestiary, etc. This is probably not an issue so early in developement, but I'd expect a prototype to mainly focus on the peculiar characteristic to show if it'd work, so the simple question is what direction are you heading if you are going to expand this? =P

I had the feeling that it misses a twist to stand out

You're right, i think it does need some kind of twist, but perhaps that element will reveal itself when different bosses have been introduced.

I think planned stategy, tactics & team execution will do wonders to increase the feeling of accomplishment rather than just bashing his head in.

I'm away from home for the weekend and my laptop can't run that Brutal Legend engine, but I'll play this as soon as I get home. I liked Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii, (even though I still haven't finished it) so if this is anything like it, I'm up for a retail purchase.

You had me at 'Monster Hunter' with this one. After beating up Gorgoth with the three characters on Normal a few random impressions:

You dealt well with being pushed through the ground, landing on the beach in the second half of the battle is a lot better than an endless fall ;)

The battle mechanics are impressive for a prototype, I'm sure making this kind of game work isn't easy since it requires a lot of precision. I had to get rid of a few reflexes first though. In Monster Hunter a monster faces the player it wants to attack first, that might mean more than one 'turn'-Action (Gorgoth tries but gives up after turning once it seems). I got shockwaved more than once until I had to accept I can't use the time to whiff a few attacks and meet the Gorgoth's head with the last one of the chain (by now my pick in Monster Hunter weaponry could be obvious). Also roll(/evade)-cancelability of the attack-recovery feels like it would kick in a bit late. Not writing this to nitpick on the solid mechanics, especially since all points are design- and balance-decisions that I can't judge properly. But just seeing all these things being there (Gorgoth's behavior having the right tells, attack-recovery being roll-cancelable, rolls seem to have invincibility frames,...) proves competence, I'd buy it.

For the monster-animation it's a good start, but somehow the feel isn't there yet. Maybe what's missing for me is that overanimating the movies have. To make the figures look alive those animations try to keep (large portions of) the creature moving at all times, smoothing all movements in an unrealistic way (and ignoring inertia).

You had me at 'Monster Hunter' with this one. After beating up Gorgoth with the three

For the monster-animation it's a good start, but somehow the feel isn't there yet. Maybe what's missing for me is that overanimating the movies have. To make the figures look alive those animations try to keep (large portions of) the creature moving at all times, smoothing all movements in an unrealistic way (and ignoring inertia).

I agree. By the way I just registered to this Forum to say:" Finish this game und make it awesome."

It is unusual to ask for a "Downgrade" but PLEASE make the monsters look and move like handcrafted. It could also be a feature. Maybe the players could take advantage out of the way the monsters move. Like in Jason and the Argonauts where Talos could not move very fast and bend his limbs that much, because he was made of metal.

(I think you know it but check this book out: 978-0823084005)

I also love the idea of the old movie titles and creditscreens.

I think the look of the enviroment is on the right way too. Something between real landscapes and fake scenery made of wood and paper.

Long story short: awesome!

The idea of trying to make the monsters herky jerky like Harryhausen films is interesting. For a 'real thing' I would love to see that developed even more - doing stuff that mimics the limitations of old school animation techniques is a p rad idea. I was talking to a stop-motion animator the other day about how as a kid those Harryhausen films have this otherworldly quality to them where the herky jerkiness to a kid watching it makes it even scarier because for all you know, that's what these things might really move like. They seem like something that came more out of your nightmares that way.

If this were to be made into an actual thing, would it be more kind of an action oriented 'co op battle against a huge tough monster' (kind of like a co-op take on 'shadow of the colossus') or would it have RPG elements? (Like monster hunter) More importantly - though the game would likely be more boss-battle focused, would there be group battles against Harryhausen skeletons? (Maybe that would just be part of a larger battle against a sorcery boss.)

BRAZEN is definitely intended to have a TON of RPG elements like Monster Hunter and IRON BRIGADE. Lots of progression, crafting, and building your character up over time to take on bigger challenges!

We will definitely have some stop motion skeletons in the game to pay homage, but I'm trying to keep the focus almost exclusively on larger creatures. But! There are ways to do both... how about fighting a huge skeletal dinosaur-type beast that has a bunch of human skeletons in its rib cage that fall out??? :D!

Thanks Chard! :D! Yeah there are parts that are pretty rough... it was really hard to let it go out that way. But whenever we would get to something that we couldn't fix in time, or there was a feature that we wanted to add (like true LOCATIONAL DAMAGE) we would just yell "PROTOTYPE!" at each other and try to scramble to fix what we could.

Thanks again for the kinds words!

I've played the Souls and Monster Hunter series a lot and this definitely plays like a slightly smoother MH game on the PC. Lock on I'd say shouldn't be in this type of game since even in Dark Souls/Demon's Souls the best way to fight the larger bosses was to unlock on and manually aim your character, something that is ridiculously easier with a mouse than the "claw" needed in MH games. Monster Hunter doesn't even have lock on, which isn't to say this game couldn't have it, I just think it would end up getting in the way on harder difficulties where camera positioning will become essential to success and having the game lock on to a certain part of a giant monster will end up getting one killed (think the Gaping Dragon in Dark Souls and how the fight became much easier once you turned off lock on so you could look at what you needed to instead of his torso).

GREAT PROTOTYPE though I might add. Far smoother and graphically appealing than I expected from this early in development. Definitely made a fan out of me as this is my kind of game which sadly is severely underrepresented in the PC space. Can't wait for the full release (please say it will be 60FPS in the final version though!).

I don't want to write checks that I can't cash, but I REALLY want to address the 30fps limitation of the Brutal Engine for this project! I think it's high time we did the work to reward people with badass PC rigs! :D!

You had me at 'Monster Hunter' with this one. After beating up Gorgoth with the three characters on Normal a few random impressions:

You dealt well with being pushed through the ground, landing on the beach in the second half of the battle is a lot better than an endless fall ;)

The battle mechanics are impressive for a prototype, I'm sure making this kind of game work isn't easy since it requires a lot of precision. I had to get rid of a few reflexes first though. In Monster Hunter a monster faces the player it wants to attack first, that might mean more than one 'turn'-Action (Gorgoth tries but gives up after turning once it seems). I got shockwaved more than once until I had to accept I can't use the time to whiff a few attacks and meet the Gorgoth's head with the last one of the chain (by now my pick in Monster Hunter weaponry could be obvious). Also roll(/evade)-cancelability of the attack-recovery feels like it would kick in a bit late. Not writing this to nitpick on the solid mechanics, especially since all points are design- and balance-decisions that I can't judge properly. But just seeing all these things being there (Gorgoth's behavior having the right tells, attack-recovery being roll-cancelable, rolls seem to have invincibility frames,...) proves competence, I'd buy it.

Thanks man! I am stoked to have a SERIOUS MONSTER HUNTER FAN play the game and come away satisfied. For sure we have improvements in lots of departments: Gorgoth AI, animation timing, more exact animation cancelling, etc, etc. But I'm glad you noticed some of the small stuff we were able to get in there, like the invincibility at the front of the evades! I wasn't sure if anyone would notice that but it looks like I was wrong. :D!

The Gorgoth animation is def a first pass. We're definitely going to revisit it and try to make it feel a lot more like a Ray Harryhausen creature.

Thanks for the kind words... I really want to make this game and I'm stoked to see people playing it! :D!

This game prototype was awesome! Really digging the Monster Hunter type of gameplay. Killed the monster on my second try with fantastic named Beerzerker. Have to test multiplayer sometimes.

So far I've only been able to briefly check out the game on my less-than-stellar computer, but when I get home I'll throw it on the ol' badass rig (lovingly named Compwnter) and devote the time it deserves to it.

All I can say right now is that it's very impressive for a prototype; if this is indeed a preview of a Double Fine game coming down the pipeline, then you can consider me a buyer. It didn't take more than 5 minutes for me to see the brilliance of the concept; I'm very excited to get home and really dig deeper into it.

One comment I do have is that it seems like the game could use more than 3 character classes, but that's probably already something DF is looking into for the retail release. On the other hand, the classes that are there are brilliant (and brilliantly named, too).

In short: great work! I'm sold.

Obviously this is a prototype so it's going to be buggy and stuff, but here's one: Myself and two others god the boss nearly dead and then the game froze for all 3 of us. It was odd too because the 'camera grain' filter was still moving.

That was for my first play - on others it worked pretty good.

Really enjoyed the prototype. Ever since I quit World of Warcraft I've been hankering for a coop vs large raid boss style game but without the hours of MMO grinding. I'm surprised it's taken this long for a developer to jump on that concept but I'm glad Double Fine is the one to finally do it. I really like the tone and style of Brazen and the different combat mechanics for the different classes are quite satisfying. For a while I thought the Waracle was a little underpowered but then I realized that you could double charge her shots and that totally changed the way I was playing. I haven't tried coop yet but I do hope that in the final game that it's not just a brawler with a loot grind and that you require real coordination like in raids in order to defeat the monsters.

Wait, are DF actually making this game a full release now? Because everyone on this thread sure seems to think so!

Thanks man! I am stoked to have a SERIOUS MONSTER HUNTER FAN play the game and come away satisfied. For sure we have improvements in lots of departments: Gorgoth AI, animation timing, more exact animation cancelling, etc, etc. But I'm glad you noticed some of the small stuff we were able to get in there, like the invincibility at the front of the evades! I wasn't sure if anyone would notice that but it looks like I was wrong. :D!

The Gorgoth animation is def a first pass. We're definitely going to revisit it and try to make it feel a lot more like a Ray Harryhausen creature.

Thanks for the kind words... I really want to make this game and I'm stoked to see people playing it! :D!

I'm not so much a fan of Monster Hunter specifically as some random guy who enjoys

(my computer hasn't seen upgrades for a while as you'll notice). In fact I discovered Monster Hunter really late after wondering for a while why nobody did something like that. That lingo is more of a fighting game thing in case it's that what you're referring to (and I consider Monster Hunter to be pretty much as close to coop-Street Fighter as you can get). I was a little worried my last post might come over as 'make a reskin of Monster Hunter' where in fact I'd like to see something that takes the concept in another direction (which I'm sure you'd do anyway).

just a quick eval: played as a single on normal. stalwart is the most difficult, yet the most methodical. if his shield is used properly, he cant take any damage, but mistakes are punished. waracle is too easy with that huge weapon (3), ive killed the turtle on the first try and that is !without! mouse invert, which im very much used to. the reason for that is that there is a sweet spot like 3m (~9ft), where attacks dont do any damage, yet the turtle is not charging at you. berzerker is the craziest and fastest. the max level of drunkenness is huge fun, but also a huge button masher, so the fun is not going to last long enough im afraid. the only one that needed poition on successful run was the berzerker, however.

Only Monster Hunter I've played was Tri, but I clocked up over 300 hours on it and I love the similarities here. Characters have nice differences. Took me a while to get used to the way it plays quite a bit faster than MH, but I got there.

Would definitely buy this based on what I've seen already.

Best of luck to Brad Muir on trying to get this game a publisher! I remember hearing Tim say a while back that he was looking to get Brad's game a publisher -- I'm now assuming that it's Brazen. REALLY hope it comes to fruition.

Second Rule of software optimization: never assume, test. (First rule is about focussing on some '1% of all the lines get 42.2% of the CPU time' issues or something, in case you wonder)

Can be applied to other things as well. I assumed evading stomp to have difficult timing and thus to be unreliable. Guess

. Now my first video looks embarassing to me with all that running away. Getting some feel for the game makes it look even better, the only thing that still really bugs me is getting stuck between the heads. Haven't found a reliable way to avoid the tail-swipe from there yet.

There strangely seems to be a consensus about Beerzerker being better than Stalwart. For now I stand by my (unpublished) first opinion that Stalwart is easier to play than Beerzerker and of course Waracle being easiest of the three. Waracle just needs to stay away and fire Axes over. Stalwart needs to find openings to attack, but blocking makes it easy not no make mistakes. As Beerzerker you need to actively react to attacks, so it's easier to make mistakes. And especially on Hard mistakes are costly and you get a lot of opportunity to make them.

Sign in to follow this