• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Brazen!

I really loved the game, please continue with the developing, this game could sell thousands if you implement more bosses, features, item/crafting system. Online coop city with vendors and that kind of stuff. The combat system plays smooth and the graphics are awesome.

This game needs develop, but please don't abandon it keep patching this awesome game!!

I figure you guys want playtesting data on this prototype, so I'm gonna' write out a report.

I played two rounds of the game, one as the Beerzerker and one as the Stalwart. Both single-player.

Audience background

I have never played any of the Monster Hunter series, and only know of Ray Harryhausen's work through brief clips on cartoon channels from my adolescence, and would not consider myself explicitly a 'fan' of his work or that era of film-making. I am however a fan of DoubleFine's games, sense of humor, and development process.

Though I play a wide variety of games very avidly, I tend to prefer strategy games and RPGs by a slim margin. I tend to play games for social interaction, and tend to value games that let me solve problems in my personal, specific ways (eg Deus Ex, Civilization) above all else.

First Impressions

The opening cutscene set the tone for the experience very well, and I was eagerly awaiting the horrible death of the fourth-wheel. Though I have little experience with Harryhausen's work I immediately burst out laughing when Gorgoth appeared, and immediately fell in love with its jerky and and stiff animations and the intention was immediately obvious to me. The relative smoothness of the other characters' animations made Gorgoth's stop-motion more apparent, which made it even funnier. Though I got it immediately, I'm concerned as to whether or not the general gaming public would get the joke immediately, which would be a bummer.

Playthrough 1: The Beerzerker

Though I tend to prefer support classes, I particularly enjoyed the Drunken Master hero in Heroes of Newerth, so I immediately gravitated towards the Beerzerker. It only took one vomit for me to figure out how the drinking mechanics worked and I immediately set about chipping away at Gorgoth's health. Combat was simple and intuitive, but I didn't feel like I was making a whole lot of interesting strategic decisions while I was playing, which bothered me. I also came to the personal conclusion as a player that sprinting away from Gorgoth's attacks was very often more effective than dodging. I ultimately defeated Gorgoth after using all my potions, and decided perhaps the Beerzerker--as much as I loved his artistic character design--was not the class for me.

Playthrough 2: The Stalwart

Right off the bat the Stalwart proved far more viscerally satisfying to me than the Beerzerker. I believe this is due to the windup on his attack animations and in a greater part to the camera work and blur effects for whenever he blocked. Though I was more engaged as the Stalwart, I was having an objectively much harder time fighting Gorgoth. Though I had little trouble blocking and felt really fulfilled when I did, I would often be locked in an attack animation whenever Gorgoth struck. I tried for a while to figure out why none of my attacks were forming combos, not being able to tell whether the charge or the shield throw was the power attack. It wasn't until Gorgoth disengaged at the midway point that I could spend a while experimenting on the beach with my attacks, and figured out that the Stalwart was just really, really slow. As I experimented, though, I found all of the combos interesting and satisfying, and applied my newfound knowledge to the next stage.

I found that, however, there was nearly never a case where I could land more than two attacks before Gorgoth attacked, but this was after I had skimmed the Stalwart class. I see now there are options for stunning Gorgoth that I didn't find at first glance, nor did I learn through play. I would ultimately not survive the battle, but primarily because the Gorgoth recovered all of its health while I was practicing on the beach.

Final Thoughts

I'm interested in playing this multiplayer when I get the time, and love the overall theme of the game. All of the classes seem simple and intuitive--though some moreso than others, but I'm concerned about how strategic depth would be accomplished in a more fleshed-out version of this game, since I see this combat with these characters becoming rather repetitive after a while. Though I expect I'd know the answer to this if I'd played Monster Hunter, since they seem to have been doing this for quite a long time now.

As of now, I'd almost certainly buy this game, but that would mostly be due to the theme and the DoubleFine brand. Even still, I can see this game becoming very mechanically engaging with some tweaks to character controllers here and there and AI patterns.

Any chance this will get a kickstarter instead of trying to find a publisher, I feel like more games like this should be made even though theres a perception they dont sell well in the west

Just played the prototype for the first time.

- I have no experience with this type of game (Monster Hunter something?)

- The Beerzerker is the one I enjoyed most. I like the drinking mini-game, and having to master it under pressure in combat. And I like the speed and agility that he has.

- The motion blur on the heroes when doing power attacks is pretty cool.

- Regarding the jerky animation... I see where you're coming from, with the tribute, but the reason it works in live action films is that it looks eerie and otherworldly and it contrasts with real actors. Here, everything looks the same, so the monster simply looks like it's badly animated.

Hi! I'm a super fan of Monster Hunter series. I played around 200h in every game. And I'm very interested in this project, looks pretty well, but I think you need some things. First, is very important give the freedom to choose the sex of the heroe, and personalize it. For example I like bows but I hate control a women, the people love create their heroes. For this games and the history ins't super important. Second, if the game is created for 4 players, you need to include a minimum of one more character classes, the people hate repeat character or classes for obligation. Third, is necessary include a lot of armors and weapons to change the look of their heroes and create the addiction. Fourth, is necessary add a little solo mode, like monster hunter, you need the other people to get the best weapons and armors, but is possible you play little missions to get necessary objects. With this 4 things you will have one of the best games of this generation and a super seller. And of course made it for Xbox 360 please!!! And sorry for my bad english. Luck with this project

Hi! I'm a super fan of Monster Hunter series. I played around 200h in every game. And I'm very interested in this project, looks pretty well, but I think you need some things. First, is very important give the freedom to choose the sex of the heroe, and personalize it. For example I like bows but I hate control a women, the people love create their heroes. For this games and the history ins't super important. Second, if the game is created for 4 players, you need to include a minimum of one more character classes, the people hate repeat character or classes for obligation. Third, is necessary include a lot of armors and weapons to change the look of their heroes and create the addiction. Fourth, is necessary add a little solo mode, like monster hunter, you need the other people to get the best weapons and armors, but is possible you play little missions to get necessary objects. With this 4 things you will have one of the best games of this generation and a super seller. And of course made it for Xbox 360 please!!! And sorry for my bad english. Luck with this project

Thanks ericsotos7!

Pretty much everything you mentioned is in the plans for BRAZEN if it continues development - more character classes, male and female versions of all of them (I can't wait to see female Beerzerkers!), lots of weapons and armors, etc!

I think that most of this is just because it's a prototype! We have spent very little time/money on this project so far.

1 - We definitely want to have two sexes for each class!

2 - We have 5 classes planned!

3 - We're planning a deep crafting system with tons of loot!

4 - We'll definitely have solo missions as well!

As for the platform, I think it would be a good fit for the 360 but we'll see what happens!

I think that most of this is just because it's a prototype! We have spent very little time/money on this project so far.

1 - We definitely want to have two sexes for each class!

2 - We have 5 classes planned!

3 - We're planning a deep crafting system with tons of loot!

4 - We'll definitely have solo missions as well!

As for the platform, I think it would be a good fit for the 360 but we'll see what happens!

Please do a PC version if it continues development, you'd be leaving out good paying customers otherwise! ^o^

I think we'll definitely be leading with the PC! Valve and Steam have been super awesome to work with and I feel like we could really give the game the post-launch support it deserves on the PC!

I think we'll definitely be leading with the PC! Valve and Steam have been super awesome to work with and I feel like we could really give the game the post-launch support it deserves on the PC!

Sounds sweet!

Ooh, I just thought of a cool idea. What if you could tame some of the monsters and go riding around on them? Might be a bit ambitious and not mesh well with the gameplay style, but it just came to mind now :3 And like there could be secret areas only available with a flying one!

A monster trainer class would be pretty awesome. A summoning class of some kind.

Any chance this will get a kickstarter instead of trying to find a publisher, I feel like more games like this should be made even though theres a perception they dont sell well in the west
You can't keep going back to the Kickstarter well every time, it's not really fair to consumers. KS donations are a gift, based on the trust of consumers, and it's important not to take advantage of that.

Maybe if they pitch it to a bunch of publishers and they all say no, there's a stronger case for Kickstarter again. But of course, now they get to keep their own profits for DFA, so if that sells well they might have the money to self-finance some of these games, and they won't really need outside funding. That's my long-term hope for DF.

Brazen does, indeed, seem very promising.

So, I hate to be the "Dick" person....

But I bought the humble bundle, basically for this game. This is all I wanted in the bundle. But now I feel like I wasted my money. Yeah, its deff a alpha, and thats all that is. I guess I was expecting more, considering the way "beta's" and "alpha's" are advertised these days. The one thing I figured, which I could be wrong now, is since I bought the prototype, Am I getting the full version of the game for free now?

It said prototype, so I figured if I buy this verison, I'd get the released copy...?

Edit: Waste of money, as in, I thought I was gonna get more then what a "Technical" alpha is. I guess its hard to describe, considering everyone proabably looks at "alpha" differently... but I was just curious can I get my money back at all maybe? I mean, I really hope you guys say, since I bought the prototype Im getting "SOME FINISHED game for free"....

I guess Im just really confused about what this humble bundle was about. You guys kinda made it seem like I was eventually going to get a 'finished' product.

edit: All I care about is, I AM GETTING THE FULL GAME RIGHT? I bought the prototype to the full game?

But I bought the humble bundle, basically for this game. This is all I wanted in the bundle. But now I feel like I wasted my money. Yeah, its deff a alpha, and thats all that is. I guess I was expecting more, considering the way "beta's" and "alpha's" are advertised these days. The one thing I figured, which I could be wrong now, is since I bought the prototype, Am I getting the full version of the game for free now?

It said prototype, so I figured if I buy this verison, I'd get the released copy...?

Edit: Waste of money, as in, I thought I was gonna get more then what a "Technical" alpha is. I guess its hard to describe, considering everyone proabably looks at "alpha" differently... but I was just curious can I get my money back at all maybe? I mean, I really hope you guys say, since I bought the prototype Im getting "SOME FINISHED game for free"....

I guess Im just really confused about what this humble bundle was about. You guys kinda made it seem like I was eventually going to get a 'finished' product.

edit: All I care about is, I AM GETTING THE FULL GAME RIGHT? I bought the prototype to the full game?

The entire bundle was about supporting double fine in their amnesia forenight and getting the final prototypes of the games they are making(Only 2 week creation time so less completed then brazen prototype)

Brazen prototype had 2 week amnesia forenight development time + another 6 week to implement source and some other stuff like revamping level improving classes.

You are also getting the 2pp videos.

Its precisely what humble bundle advertised prototypes with 2 weeks development time not full blown betas like companies do.

I've just noticed that the Humble Bundle site has given me four Steam keys for the Brazen Prototype, did everyone get that amount? Or did I luck out?

It's not an alpha, it's a prototype. Alpha's are essentially a finished game with a lot of testing still to do. This is a single level. It's y a gameplay concept that can be used to pitch BRAZEN - to publishers and to the public.

Sad as it is, it's not even confirmed whether BRAZEN will be made at all, so don't go expecting any more with regards to it for quite some time. Even if it is made however, the full game wasn't part of the bundle.

If you're annoyed, think how much you actually paid for the bundle. Chances are it was much less than the full retail price of a game like BRAZEN would be anyway.

I've just noticed that the Humble Bundle site has given me four Steam keys for the Brazen Prototype, did everyone get that amount? Or did I luck out?

I think its "Bonus keys for Everyone (who already had BRAZEN)!" - give em to your friends, beat the Gorgoth 4 player on hard, and let us know what you think!

Hey pRogz! Sorry that the prototype wasn't what you expected. Hopefully, we'll be able to make this a full awesome game and you'll get to play it someday! It could possibly be free to play, even. Anyways, check out the rest of the stuff you get for giving to the bundle. A ton of video content, seven more prototypes, and a chance to help us with this process - maybe give feedback that influences the direction of a future Double Fine game! Thanks for your support!

Will we get the full game on Steam after release? I'm speaking about us, that own the prototype. :)

Hi! I was feeling down about Harryhausen's passing and was looking for something to cheer me up. I remembered your prototype, but the last time I checked in on it a few months back I couldn't find it to download and figured I was too late. I finally scooped it up yesterday and I'm having a blast. I'm going to try to corral some of my studiomates into playing some multiplayer today. Thanks!

Glad to see this in the bundle, been a mh fan but the controls always threw me off, awesome prototype!

Sign in to follow this