Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Brazen support thread

kudos to you then :). ive only tried flash authoring tool like ten years ago for a couple of months. btw it seems that scaleform has almost become and industry standard. you know, borderlands 2, deus ex, dragon age etc. so i think getting more familiar with it is not a bad idea :). is it really that easy to use?

The Flash authoring tool is what it is. It's super powerful but also pretty old and quirky. When it works well, it's *amazing* but make one dumb mistake and you can spend a lot of time trying to figure out what you did wrong.

Scaleform is definitely the industry leader in UI middleware. Before it came out several teams had their own internal tech that was pretty similar, but now Autodesk has the muscle to make it a really solid commercial product.

Scaleform requires a programmer to integrate the tech into the engine. That's not particularly easy, but not super hard either. If you're using an engine where it's integrated already (like UDK) then you pretty much just need to know how to use Flash authoring tool and pass a bit of data from your game scripts into the Flash movies. Usually that's quite simple. The only thing you have to be careful of is that new or more complex features in the Flash tool may not be (correctly) supported in the Scaleform runtime. I personally try to KISS when creating Flash assets for Scaleform, just to be sure everything will work.

ok, thanks. this is a really interesting topic. when youre integrating it to your custom engine, does it work through a simple texture that is passed back to the caller, which you can then just overlay as a texture and does it process clicks mostly by itself (apart from saying what is the location relative to the menu itself) or is it more crazy?

btw: talking about the clicks, it seems that the ui is not getting the correct mouse click locations now. i cant switch the difficulty now. the start and solo/public game buttons work ok, but not really the selection screen. the character selection is available over the vast majority of the right side of the screen, but the difficulty selection and launch game button do not work.

ok, thanks. this is a really interesting topic. when youre integrating it to your custom engine, does it work through a simple texture that is passed back to the caller, which you can then just overlay as a texture and does it process clicks mostly by itself (apart from saying what is the location relative to the menu itself) or is it more crazy?

btw: talking about the clicks, it seems that the ui is not getting the correct mouse click locations now. i cant switch the difficulty now. the start and solo/public game buttons work ok, but not really the selection screen. the character selection is available over the vast majority of the right side of the screen, but the difficulty selection and launch game button do not work.

The Scaleform integration is more complex than that, especially for rendering. You usually want to route Scaleform's rendering through the game's native renderer, which requires writing a lot of glue code and often adding additional rendering features. You do also have to pass in input from the game to the flash movie, which as you're seeing now, is easy to get wrong.

Ok we just pushed a patch to add proper 4:3 support for BRAZEN! :D!

Also - if you were on a 16:10 display and you were seeing a slightly sliced-off Front End / HUD, I fixed that as well! It should now look correct on 16:9, 16:10, and 4:3!

Brad!

w00t! I was hoping that's what the patch was :) Hated having stuff cut off the sides of the screen.

Here to support Brazen. Just registered and donated to get my copy.

Thanks man! Glad to have you on board. :D!

Ok we just pushed a patch to add proper 4:3 support for BRAZEN! :D!

Also - if you were on a 16:10 display and you were seeing a slightly sliced-off Front End / HUD, I fixed that as well! It should now look correct on 16:9, 16:10, and 4:3!

Brad!

w00t! I was hoping that's what the patch was :) Hated having stuff cut off the sides of the screen.

Is this working as you thought it would? I have not heard reports of it working in the wild yet and I'm curious! :D!

well i think you might have missed the second paragraph of one of my posts :)

"btw: talking about the clicks, it seems that the ui is not getting the correct mouse click locations now. i cant switch the difficulty now. the start and solo/public game buttons work ok, but not really the selection screen. the character selection is available over the vast majority of the right side of the screen, but the difficulty selection and launch game button do not work."

Any news on being able to invert the mouse?

Game looks awesome, but unfortunately this makes it pretty much unplayable for me...can't even get past the first encounter. :P

Any info/help on this would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

SE

Sign in to follow this