Sign in to follow this  
spacebug

I wonder if Valve were inspired by Amnesia Fortnight

Listening to what DF have been saying about Amnesia Fortnight reminds me a lot of something Valve did once.

From the "Portal 2: The Final Hours" book-thing

Concerned that Valve was spending far too much time making games and not enough time pushing its designs in bold new directions, Newell showed up one morning with a radical idea: What if he effectively shut down Valve's production pipeline for a few months and turned the company into one big creative playground? There would be no deadlines, no milestones, and little accountability. And most important, the entire process would be a secret to the outside world.

Newell assembled the team in the main conference room and outlined his plan. The "Directed Design Experiments" as he called them would hopefully lead to a creative renaissance. Employees were told to assemble small groups and try whatever they thought was cool or interesting. A spectacular failure would be just as important as the next big thing.

Brainstorming commenced. Days, weeks, and months began to pass.

This produced a lot of meh, a funny sounding game that went nowhere called 2 bots, 1 wrench, and a mysterious game called F-Stop that we're not allowed to know anything about because it might get made at some point!

Sounds very similar to Amnesia Fortnight, except Valve-time of course, they got months to mess about instead of just two weeks.

Was Amnesia Fortnight a thing back in 2007? Maybe Erik Wolpaw suggested it to Gabe... Maybe the two companies did this kind of thing totally independently? Who knows?

I thought the similarity was interesting :)

Valve and Double Fine are my two favorite gaming companies. My only wet dream is if the two companies collaborated on a project together. Or joined forces. Or something. I mean, they're only a drive away from each other, right?

This is only starry eyed dreaming, of course. Businesses gotta business, competitors gotta compete.

I think its a good thing to try testing the talent in your own waters, but I' think it was just a good idea that they both simultaneously had...or maybe its some sort of common thing I think pixar also has sort of internal pitches for their stuff.

Actually, on a slightly different note that still matches this forum topic:

Valve has been having a bit of trouble ironing out its Greenlight concept, and the game Towns has been causing quite a ruckus since many people who purchased the game feel like they paid $15 for an alpha that will probably be finished somewhere in the vicinity of never. This forces us to consider the benefits of letting players download playable states of all Greenlight games and letting them download those builds of the game through Steam itself (i.e. not from a link in the internet's backwoods).

You know, kinda how DF is letting us download prototypes for Amnesia Fortnight???

Maybe Gabe is watching and stroking his chin and saying "Hmmm.... would users actually....?"

Didn't they say F-Stop was the original idea for Portal 2? It was some new mechanic that didn't involve portals at all that you would use to solve the puzzles.

Anyway, I'm sure plenty of companies have done things like this over the years. Whether it was done consciously or by virtue of different projects getting canceled.

Didn't they say F-Stop was the original idea for Portal 2? It was some new mechanic that didn't involve portals at all that you would use to solve the puzzles.

Anyway, I'm sure plenty of companies have done things like this over the years. Whether it was done consciously or by virtue of different projects getting canceled.

Yes they did. Well, maybe not the very first idea, but they did try and use it for Portal 2.

Upon seeing it, Newell remembers thinking, "**** yeah!" This one experiment had been worth stalling everything else at Valve for over three months...Using the cartoon visual style of Team Fortress 2, Weier and his team mocked up a completely new, non-violent, puzzle-based mechanic for a game. It was fun, it was memorable, and most important it was fresh and completely unexpected.

...Newell kept thinking that F-STOP might just be the big, unexpected idea that Valve needed for a sequel to Portal.

F-STOP would not ultimately become Portal 2. But it would take Valve nearly a year of intense development before it figured that out.

From what I've read about how valve does things, it's almost like they have the resources to do essentially do their own miniaturized Amnesia Fortnight on a regular basis just to try and test stuff out.

Sign in to follow this