Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jacknash

Any incentive for Mac users?

Hi,

I'm a Mac user, but still want to contribute to the Amnesia Fortnight, just because it's awesome. I was wondering if there is anything you could include that is Mac friendly? I know we have been the outcasts of gaming (bring on the "buy a pc" and "use bootcamp" comments) but I'm a big fan of the kind of the stuff you, Kickstarter and the Humble Bundles are doing and like being involved.

I started creating games a little while ago, so being able to be in touch with game devs and learn about/watch the whole process has been one of the most motivating things for me, these days. I probably will get a PC eventually, but I'm also kind of hoping that making games for multiple platforms becomes more normal.

Basically, I'm asking if there's a chance any of the games could be crossplatform (possibly post-Fortnight?) or if there is more stuff Mac users can still get out of the bundle, besides the live stream (music maybe?).

I'm prepared for the obvious answer, but I'd like to know what Double Fine and you guys from the forums think about this, too.

Cheers!

All I'd want personally is a video playthrough of each of the winning pitch prototypes once they're completed.

It's always a bummer when I buy something from Humble Bundle and find out a cool-looking game is for Windows only. I was a PC user until last year when art school duties forced me to switch to Mac when I upgraded laptops, and as a result, I can no longer play about a third of my Steam library. :\

But I think if some gameplay footage from the prototypes was thrown up on YouTube or something once they were all finished, being able to watch those would be a neat consolation!

Hi!

I think while as a Mac user you cannot play any pf the prototypes right now, you will still get to see the daily live stream and 2pp documented videos! That will be pretty crazy by itself... Now even the shy DF devs can't hide ha. I also think having video play thru videos is a great idea for non PC peeps, I hope we can accommodate too. We'll see what Chris Remo says!

Hi!

I think while as a Mac user you cannot play any pf the prototypes right now, you will still get to see the daily live stream and 2pp documented videos! That will be pretty crazy by itself... Now even the shy DF devs can't hide ha. I also think having video play thru videos is a great idea for non PC peeps, I hope we can accommodate too. We'll see what Chris Remo says!

I think you nailed it! Anyone who's a DFA backer knows that the 2PP guys put out awesome stuff. Having new videos every day is going to be awesome.

We've had a number of Mac- or Linux-only folks contact us about this, and it's definitely a bummer that we can only support Windows for AF. The reality is that this is true prototype development (not "fake beta"-style stuff), and supporting multiple platforms in two weeks just isn't possible. But as a studio we're trying hard right now to support as many platforms as we can--the Buddha engine, which powers almost all of our games, gets more compatible platforms all the time, and in the coming months we'll have at least a couple announcements about what we'll be able to bring to those additional platforms as a result. DF took some hits for being really console-oriented for years, but we always wanted to be able to support morer platforms, and that's becoming more possible.

And of course, the hope is that some of these prototypes will end up becoming full-fledged games in their own right--and if they do, we'll want to bring them to as many platforms as we can.

So in the short term, being an AF supporter means you get to help us decide what prototypes to make, and you get to watch all the crazy footage of those prototypes being made. In the long term, even though you can't play those prototypes now, you'll be helping us make more games that we intend to bring to your platform and others.

It's worth noting that most Mac users with a Mac purchased in the last few years would be able to play the prototypes anyway, either by using Boot Camp to dual-boot Windows or by utilizing a tool such as Crossover Games, Cider, or VMWare (though virtualization tools would be my last choice, due to poor graphics performance). I do see that the OP mentioned Boot Camp already, but I'm uncertain why that solution wouldn't work (though in all fairness, I know many Mac users don't want Windows touching their systems).

As for the Linux users out there, I'm much less familiar with that platform, but I do know that Wine works well for a great majority of games; I'm pretty certain the upcoming DF prototypes could be played using that with a little bit of work.

It's worth noting that most Mac users with a Mac purchased in the last few years would be able to play the prototypes anyway, either by using Boot Camp to dual-boot Windows or by utilizing a tool such as Crossover Games, Cider, or VMWare (though virtualization tools would be my last choice, due to poor graphics performance). I do see that the OP mentioned Boot Camp already, but I'm uncertain why that solution wouldn't work (though in all fairness, I know many Mac users don't want Windows touching their systems).

As for the Linux users out there, I'm much less familiar with that platform, but I do know that Wine works well for a great majority of games; I'm pretty certain the upcoming DF prototypes could be played using that with a little bit of work.

Or use the Parallels Soft ware to contain a windows inside of the macintosh. :)

Sign in to follow this