Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

The OFFICIAL "Who did you vote for and why" thread

Silent but deadly: Huge fan of stealth games, but they're all so serious. A poopy stealth game sounds hilarious and fun!

Kaiju Piledriver: It sounds pretty freaking awesome. Also Brad has a cool hat. I like TF2. 2 + 2 = 4. (In all seriousness, I like the idea of a Godzilla-esque game where you just mess stuff up).

Hack n' Slash: I remember using Gameshark codes/PC trainers in games when I was younger and thought it sounded like a fantastic idea, especially the idea of the hacks getting more complicated and layered later on to solve more complicated puzzles.

Black Lake: The creature art was really neat in the pitch.

Kaiju Piledriver: The idea was hilarious and Brad pitched it very well.

Milgrim: I've never been a fan of tower defense, but this looked like a fun take on the idea that's different enough it might have grabbed me.

CritterVerse: I'm a sucker for monster catching games, and taking that idea and pulling it out of the Pokemon-JRPG shell seems neat.

Echelon: The concept plus the fact it used a text interface sounded like an awesome mix.

Bad Golf: It sounded like a closer approximation to how I play golf in real life with my brother than actual golf games do, which was hilarious to me.

Hack n' Slash - I'm a computer engenier and a fan of zelda... it was ment to be...

Spacebase DF-9 - actually designing a game with pretty much the same idea.(without the simulated people xD)

The White Birch - seems a grate idea, i love the games with open interpretation.

Autonomous - crafting games & 80`s inspired future... cant wait.

Black Lake - good idea, lovely art.

CritterVerse - one word, "watermellon kitty"... ok, two words... the meaning is the same!!

My favourite was The White Birch. The premise sounds awesome and the concept art looked beautiful.

For other projects, I felt that a lot of the art guys got an instant advantage because of the fact that they could create some concept art to throw around.

In order of my desire for DF to make them.

1.Black Lake, this is all that White Birch is, but in a fantastical setting that plays to all of DF's visual narrative strengths. I wanted this one to be made the most out of all of the prototypes presented.

2.Autonomous, seemed new, seemed like a really fun take on the recent building games...the art style would be amazing like all DF type deals, and the gameplay could be really cool and creative. Never really seen a build-a-robot platformer tackled and I think it would be its own niche genre of platformer puzzler that could become its own unique franchise.

3.Bragging & Fighting, everything about this reminded me of DF's humor and the game seems like a really fun game.

4.Kaiju Piledriver, I loved war of the monsters, and this gives me that, but with a more comical take.

5.Hack N' Slash, I thought it was ok concept wise, thought it might take a "mogworld" type take at gaming and the moral choices and ethics and character development of the main character would be interesting to see DF tackle.

6.The White Birch, seemed story driven, and sort of limbo-y I think it would be interesting to see DF do a game like that.

7.Voted for Spacebase DF-9...because space dwarf fortress sounds too good...its not that, but hopefully it would pave the way for someone to conceptualize a true space dwarf fortress. I played the game it seems to be the spiritual successor of, Startopia and really loved it.

I voted for Black Lake, because the concept is awesome, and original. The universe described in the pitch and shown in the pictures posted by Levi is really intriguing, and i really want to explore it. It's by far the game i'd like to play the most.

Voted: Bragging and fighting, Kaiju Piledriver, Milgrim and CritterVerse

These were great, original and (mostly) constrained ideas I would love to play. So pretty much "Wouldn't this be cool".

Top 4 seemed way too open and unspecific. So pretty much "Wouldn't it be cool if".

Hi,

I voted for the following games:

Spacebase DF-9 - The pitch sounded like something I would like to play. I liked Startopia and a different take on space base management could be interesting. It's maybe a bit too ambitious for a fast prototype, but the stars are the limit, right? (+ J.P. has the wiiiiizzard - bioshock whatever bonus)

The White Birch - I liked the mood.

Black Lake - I liked the mood (again), which hinted at an interesting game story.

Kaiju Piledriver - Sounds like an awesome concept + Brad Muir

Autonomous - Concept sounds interesting + great concept art that hinted at an interesting aesthetic (I call it the Lee Petty art bonus)

The Knockover - The mechanics sound like they could be interesting and I'm a sucker for heist games.

Bragging & Fighting - (again) The mechanics sound like they could be super fun and interesting. Especially the the interplay of bragging and fighting.

That's it. Greets

Julian

I voted for Spacebase DF-9.

It's quite simple, really. You gently mumbled the words "Dwarf Fortress" into the silken canals of my ear, where it rattled through my brain like a rusty sub-sonic bullet. I would go on to explain just how much potential this game has, or what directions I would like to see it take, but what does it matter?

It has space. It has the abbreviation "DF."

What more could my little heart desire?

I voted for games purely on how “double fine” the game felt. I have strong confidence in all the staff of double fine to make a playable and very fun game however the reason double fine is my favourite developer is because they make amazing universes of steam punk Russian doles, rock and role fantasy, psychic spy camp, imagination powered Halloween and middle management super heroes. None of these have any game or genera even close to like them. Far too many of these pitches sounded to me like any game company could make them so I didn’t vote for things that made me go “I’d play that” as I’d play anything made by double fine, I chose games that made me go “what is that, you wont see that anywhere else.” And those games are…

Milgrim

Bragging and fighting

Silent but deadly

Critter verse

The flock

Bad golf

Cloud prix.

As a final comment Tim, much as I loved being a part of the process next year can you let us observe and not vote. I feel these 4 games are df versions of Diablo 3, ftl farmvill masup, journey and minecraft. I don’t want you to make same games as the others make weird games that anyone who plays them will love forever.

For the sake of brevity, I'll be blunt. My voting was informed, mostly, by an observation that the video game industry seems entirely satisfied with the fact that most "new games" are little more than "new skins" on well-established conservative forms. Looking at the vote breakdown, however, makes me feel that the industry itself is not alone in its satisfaction, and that familiar ideas with adequate "comparables" (I don't work in the games industry and have pulled that word from an email exchange with Al Lowe, perhaps its use is dated or poorly applicable) seem to play well to the expectations of the public.

My top choices were:

Ben Peck's TURK - because it seemed like nothing else out there. Also, the only proposal I can think of that seemed to be built around a very specific game mechanic rather than the general zeitgeist of showing stories and settings without hints on how one would actually interact with these story concepts. If Ben's image-manipulation mechanic would prove worthwhile, dressing it up with specific types of puzzle-oriented play would be a breeze (given the talent of Double Fine that I just brushed off for being not "gamey" enough in the previous sentence).

Brandon Dillon's Hack'n'Slash, alongside Franklin's Bragging 'n Fighting, and Natividad's The Knockover, similarly, attracted my votes based on the fact that each of the proposals had ideas for interesting interactions, and in the case of the latter two provided immediate examples of interesting decisions to be made through interactive mechanics. Dillon's appearances in the documentary, for better or for worse, generated more faith in his work than he can fathom, and I feel that his top spot is well-deserved.

In addition to those, I voted for LeBreton's and Wood's projects, but I did not vote for Petty's Autonomous. In spite of my support of Double Fine, the only true disappointment with the studio's output so far was with Stacking. Not because "it sucked" but because in spite of its potential the bits where the player gets to do things were rather uninteresting. That is, I found the basic principle of stacking lacking depth within the game that was shipped, though I still love the idea of morphing characters. (I was happy to buy it and the DLC but couldn't make it through the Hobo King expansion pack.) In the case of Autonomous, I was alarmed by the fact that choices that guide the building of robots are already undercut by the desire to make robots "not act completely predictably."

I am extremely aware of the work that it takes to make projects like Stacking come to fruition. I understand that my comments may come across as dismissive, or (worse), mean-spirited. In my defense, you did ask, and I answered as honestly as I could. For science. And for insurance purposes.

For the most part, I voted for pitches that, to me, best represented the kind of high-concept world-building and artistry I've come to expect from Double Fine, or at least ones that had the potential to evolve into another great DF universe.

These were: The White Birch, Black Lake, Autonomous and Spacebase DF-9

I generally tried to avoid voting for games that would be mechanically rad, but focused almost exclusively on these mechanics. I made an exception for Milgrim, which was simply brilliant conceptually and even though it was clearly referential, it took these references and flipped them upside-down; and also Double Fine High, if only because of my fondness for competitive puzzle games (and that High School Eddie...).

I actively avoided voting for pitches that most resembled existing games or franchises and memes.

Voted for The Flock because after playing Journey, mellow multiplayer games are exactly what I want to spend my free time doing. Also voted for Milgrim because level creation as the bad guy seems like a fun new idea, and The White Birch simply because I love dark environments and platformers, and Andy's beard just seems like it knows what it's doing!

Cloud Prix: Seems like a great idea for a game that appears problematic to start with regards to mechanics, but I'm sure would be refined to awesome lengths in production. Just seems like the kind of game I'd want to play.

The Flock: An Art Game coming out of Double Fine? Say whaaaat?! Seems like a pretty fun time to be honest just soaring around as a bird, avoiding jet engines and wind storms and keeping it all together. In my mind it seems like a very atmospheric game so the idea has great potential.

Kaiju Piledriver: Oh man, I love Rampage, don't you? Seriously it's been so long since we had a really good and fun monster-stompin' rompin' game. For sure a "genre" that needs more entries and something I know the team at Double Fine would be able to do justice with their awesome sense of humour.

Black Lake: DUUUDE! This project seems so ambitious it'd be a crime NOT to vote for it. Honestly I can't say I've heard of anything like it and it seems to jive well with most everything I like so I'm actually sad it didn't make the top 4 :( I hope you guys consider how close it came. I mean, Dreams! Animals! Native folklore artwork! I mean, maaaaan. Seriously, what's with all these space-aged games?

The White Birch: Andy Wood's beard-accent told me to. Nah seriously, just like Black Lake and The Flock the idea just jived with me and as a 30 second pitch it's easy to see exactly what the vision of the game is. Climbing a tower is a tried and true game mechanic that just works and throwing a more atmospheric twist on it seems like a no brainer. I mean look at Tower of Heaven, that worked out great!

Spacebase DF-9: Okay, okay, I DO like this Space Game :) It sounds a lot like Sim Tower meets Star Control in my mind so I'd really like to see it executed.

Things I purposely didn't vote on-

Hack 'n Slash: Just seems like too much work to play and too easy to break, so where's the challenge? Looking up stuff on Wikipedia? It'll be interesting to see where it goes.

Bad Golf: The name is great, but the pitch sounds like two games in one, which makes a long game of golf even longer. Honestly, I hear Bad Golf, I think just a bad golf game in which you start up the shot, and then crazy things happen like a bear steals your golfball after it hits the fairway, and then you have to chase the bear and hit it with your golf club, but making sure it drops the ball close enough to the green for you to putt with a frozen tuna because you lost your putter to a rogue Scottsman. Also complete with golf announcers who understate everything. *shrug* It's an idea worth exploring, but in a different direction because the current pitch just sounds like a "you had to have been there" story.

I voted for all of the ones in the top 4 because 3 of them sound like games where stories happen due to a lot of emergent things going on, and I'd really like to see a Double Fine take on a story where they have a little less control over the narrative, and how you'd all handle the writing for something like that. White Birch because it sounds lovely and atmospheric and full of possibility.

Also ran:

Turk because I thought it was a small but neat idea that deserved some support. Kaiju Piledriver because that seemed like exactly the sort of game Double Fine would already excel at making (but frankly I'd rather you tackle the riskier ideas). Echelon because it sounded very cool, I'm surprised that didn't get more votes.

Short version: I tended to vote for stuff that reminded me of some of the coolest indie projects I've seen lately, which often involve lots of tightly designed systems that produce difficult to predict and storylike outcomes. :)

Most of the pitches made me think "This might be cool, but I'm not sure." Then there were a couple that fell on either side of that. It's really tough to decide based on so little information, but I guess you can't develop every idea. I limited myself to 4 votes.

My votes, in order of games I most want to see:

Hack 'n' Slash - I love the thought processes behind hacking and reverse engineering. If someone could capture that in a game, it would be amazing. This idea sounds difficult to pull off well, but the potential is just too great to let it die.

Milgrim - I felt like this pitch gave me a really good idea of what this game would be like. It sounds fun and original.

The White Birch - The art looks pretty and the video mentions Ico.

Bragging and Fighting - I think I just liked the premise of the game.

HACK 'N' SLASH - Because it's a cool spin on a typical RPG and can be adapted to tablets as well as consoles.

CRITTERVERSE - Because it looked HILARIOUS and as fun as Heroine. (Highly addictive for the people who have to get that 100% collection)

SILENT BUT DEADLY - No other reason as I thought it would be a fun little title for a quick fix.

REDBOT'S REBOOT - I saw great potential for a character led game where it could have gone any way - Platformer, RPG, etc. This is the one I wanted the most.

I voted for a couple that made the top four but I'd rather talk about the ones that didn't make it...

Echelon - Sounds like a genuinely cool and original game concept. To me this would be a game that demands the players attention and if it gets it right, you wouldn't want to stop. Also, the influences spoke to me.

Bragging and Fighting - Again, a really cool and importantly, original idea. I kind of love the idea that you can get yourself into a lot of trouble by bragging too much. I'd really like to see the ways in which this idea could evolve into a full game, it reminds me a little of a Monty Python sketch where characters were constantly trying to one up each other. In fact, now that I brought that up, I only think of the bragging part as traditional in engine sequences and the fighting part as a Monty Python animation...

Cloud Prix - It'd just be fun right? If you get the flying right and combine it with a really cool art style, I think you'd be left with a cool racing game like those mentioned as influences.

I chose (my favourites in bold text):

-Autonomus

-Bragging and Fighting

-Milgrim

-Kaiju Piledriver

Because I think that they fit particularly well with the typical Double Fine game, the kind of game we all love. Spacebase, White Birch, I think they all will be awesome prototypes and I hope they'll become fully developed games, althought I don't think they have the DF SecretEnergyIngredient© already built inside. Honourable mention goes to Black Lake, that's awesome as much as WB and the others.

I also voted for

-Turk

-Critterverse

-Flopulus

-The Knockover

Because even if they were not running for the first places, I think they had a good idea at the base (especially bold text ones).

Hack 'n' Slash: The idea just clicked for me and the potential behind it was just too appealing to skip having a prototype to see how it would have worked out; also this is a take that I have seen rarely in full fledged gaming and it reminds me all the fun I had with website riddles like notpron and similar (learning some basics of hacking, collecting clues in the most hidden places, thinking out of the box and applying to riddles to decode passwords and such). I can't wait to see a DF take on it.

White Birch/Black Lake: Just because I love action/adventures with a passion and I know that they fit great with DF team.

I also voted CritterVerse for a similar reason, as I like to unlock powerups found by exploring (tbh I was on the fence for this one, though).

Why didn't I vote for the rest? Mostly because of either of those three reasons:

a) because the idea wasn't exactly original and it'd be a waste to prototype things that are already available on the web, mostly for free (eg Redbot=lightbot, the flock=flower, Milgrim=bunch of TD on the web)

b) because the idea didn't really seem to use the potential of the team at the fullest and it didn't seem to have potential not to be repetitive, so I'd expect it to be a small game by the end, which I don't have interest from DF (eg Battle Bros, Turk, Bad Golf, DF High)

c) I just don't like the genre (eg Automaton, Kaiju Piledriver)

I mainly voted for concepts that clearly described what the player would DO that was interesting and also a few that were lighter on gameplay but suggested an atmosphere or world that appealed to me.

Bonus points for cool concept art or test animation. I must admit I didn't notice the "Game concept PDF" and forum links until voting was over so only voted based on the pitch videos.

I voted for The Flock, despite being low on details, because non-imaginary animal simulation (with movement that actually feels believable) is something that's really under-explored and could be very interesting if done well. Scope could be tricky though... creating varied landscapes to fly through and occasionally land and rest in. Maybe procedural?

The appeal of Cloud Prix, moving through clouds, overlaps somewhat with The Flock.

Echelon because spies (and not the action part we usually get in games).

Bragging and Fighting because even though I don't like card games that much actually getting to play out the absurd situations you create sounded really interesting.

White Birch, Black Lake: atmosphere

Also voted for: Autonomous, SpaceBase DF-9, Kaju Piledriver, Milgrim, Bad Golf, Primordial Slime (all interesting mechanics)

Did not vote for: A few games seemed like they could be cool but didn't create a clear enough gameplay picture. Some seemed too similar to existing games (Knockover, Flopulus, Battle Bros), or relied too heavily on references and in-jokes (Red Bot, DFine High). I did not understand Turk.

Mentioning achievements as a selling point (Shine Run) was an insta-NO-vote for me.

I voted:

Space Base DF-9 - Because the art and the setting proposed is good, and also is a game of the style of DF games, so maybe the final result its good.

Autonomous - The art and the style of the video are very good for a pitch of a game, and the concept is also very good, it will be good to see this concept make in reality from DF.

Kaiju Piledriver - The concept of this game is very weird and interesting, and also the good excitement of Brad for do this game.

Redbot's Reboot - Because I like the work programing that Oliver do and also his posts of DFA are very good, so maybe it was been a good game.

Flopulous - The style of the game and the art its look good and also the video is very good.

I don't voted:

(Just some of them).

Milgrim - The concept it looks good, but it don't convince me the style of the game and also because do that switch is like Middle Manager of Justice that is good but is like more of the same concept, and also one game like that it has to be more that with pixel art only.

Hack n Slash - There are games of hacking with this concept, maybe not with all the concept of hacking some knowledge game, but its not seems a DF Game.

The White Birch - The art is good, but it don't have so much content or excitement in the video.

Shine Run - Bad selling technique singing one song like that :-) .

The Flock - Good for a Facebook Greenpace game, but it don't seems like a fun game, and also for the form that Greg tells the game its looks like a joke that a real game.

VOTED FOR:

I. Hack n' Slash

While hacking games are not new to the world of video games, the idea that a video game would explicitly want you to hack it and that you would NEED to hack it in order to win is kind of a novel idea. I also like the potential it has for making the player feel like a sort of god character. I have elsewhere compared it to Bruce Almighty, Bastian Balthazar Bux, or Neo. It's not just a new game being voted for with this. It's sort of a new genre (though it steals from real life), which is something gamers always crave.

II. Automatons

I will admit to partially voting for this one for the art, but I also enjoy pretty much any game that involves collectible materials that can be built into things. How the automatons are specifically used by the player is ultimately what's going to make or break this game, and it sounds like Lee is still working out the details. I guess the thing that sort of struck me as original about the idea is that you're not just creating an army of robots, because not all automatons are friendly toward you. You're not just experimenting with parts to see what automatons you can make; you're also experimenting with the behaviors of the automatons to see what kind of usefulness you can get out of robot behavior that you don't control.

III. BLACK LAKE

This game was actually my number one choice. A few people noted that the pitch didn't really articulate very well what the gameplay would look like, but I think it was one of the strongest pitches in terms of sheer vision. I feel like I already know things about this world and the creatures that inhabit it, and I want to learn more. I am a huge fan of games like Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, and based on Levi's descriptions, it sounds like it would shape up to be a game in a similar vein, not just with a few gameplay similarities, but in the way the world would feel incredibly rich and full of secrets, but at the same time extremely mysterious. The ideas he's articulated about tracking animals sounds fun (compare to pathfinding with the shiny sword in Shadow of the Colossus maybe), and the idea that you're not so much "hunting" these creatures as much as you are curing them of terrible dreams to keep the dreams from spilling into the land is a really interesting idea that is vaguely reminiscent of the Veni Yan Cari in Jeff Smith's Bone graphic novels. (Which, by the way, are absolutely amazing.)

It seems to me like it has a ton of potential to be an immersive adventure in a highly memorable world.

IV. ECHELON

I voted for this game because it sounded reminiscent of "hacker" games like Uplink, albeit with some key differences. I feel like this game is by nature a hard sell in a pitch. I was saying in the thread that even Uplink is an incredibly fun game and has a lot of fans, but it's interesting to think about what it's pitch video would be like. The idea that you can play an entire game that mostly involves text on a black screen? It's not boring at all, but when you put it side-by-side with godzilla pile-driving robots, you can probably anticipate where the votes are going to go. I would love for it to get its chance, but it may be one of those things that the world doesn't know that it wants until after you give it to them.

Per the famous Henry Ford quote, "If I'd have asked people what they wanted, they'd have said faster horses."

V. Bad Golf

I think everything about it sounds really funny and I have no doubt that DF could make it insanely fun. But once again, it's one of those game ideas that's cursed by what it is. Golf games are a bit on the niche side, and non-traditional golf may be even more niche still.

NOT VOTED FOR:

The primary reasons the other games were not voted for were because I limited myself to voting for only five games, which is an arbitrary number I picked for no other reason other than it "felt like a good number." The other reason, as a corollary to only choosing five games, is that while I loved the ideas for the other games, I didn't love them quiiiiiite as much as my top five. However, there were a few specific things with a couple of the games that kept me from casting votes for them. The biggest two:

1. Physics puzzles - There have been a lot of games with these recently and I'm starting to get weary of that kind of game.

2. Mobile - Some people actively seek games for the iPad/iPhone/etc, whereas I just can't get into gaming on these devices. It's simply not my cup o' tea, so I leave those votes to the mobile players.

My choices were:

Hack n' Slash and Automatons because I've always been a huge fan of programming games and these two projects both bring really interesting twists to that genre. I'm a little concerned about Hack n' Slash, since games that allow players to edit the core engine can often be unstable (I say that as a Kickstarter backer of Code Hero*) but I will really, really love it if it's even remotely playable.

Bragging and Fighting because... uh, I don't actually have much to say for this one, it just seems obviously great. I think it could be the most genuinely funny game (not that the premise itself is that funny, but the stories that emerge from the "tall tale" mechanic could be hilarious).

Echelon: I overlooked this one at first, which is a shame because I'd really like to see a text/audio adventure game made with the exact theme/atmosphere that was pitched for this game. If there's ever a Double Fine Text Adventure, count me in.

*Edit: I don't mean this as a slight against Code Hero, just that there's an awful lot of work that's involved in getting a game running when you expose the game engine to real-time editing. One of the reasons I like the Hack n' Slash proposal is that it's not offering the same level of "control every polygon!" hackability as Code Hero and I think the game world should be more stable as a result.

My super-brief short-version abbreviated run-through of choices:

The Flock: Stuck out immediately as more unusual than most concepts - even more intriguing to me than Journey because of the real-life aspect of it. Calming and meditative - but could still be exciting by setting different objectives and threats. Could even be intellectually beneficial by expanding one's worldview by including a new birds-eye perspective.

Milgrim: Super easy to understand concept and at the same would introduce a completely new dynamic - if the game could achieve the sense of moving forward towards a goal even while at the same time moving backwards through your created levels as the opponent tries to beat them.

Spacebase DF-9: If done with nice, retro graphics (basic but detailed and fun) combined with the DoubleFiney sense of humour it feels like it could be the sort of game I wished spacebase-type games had been back in the 80's/early 90's but never really managed to be.

Bad Golf: Most instantly and obviously hilarious concept. While all other pitches would surely be influenced by the DF brand of fun - this one seems to have the fun component built in right from the start, even in the name. Makes me want to go build a golf-cart o' destruction and go tear up some fancy posh golf course with my friends.

My four:

1) Echelon - Because Brian sounds like he wants to take game development in a direction that I'm already onboard with. Some of my favourite gaming moments have been due to just the right audio element, triggered at just the right time to pull me completely into the story. Why not extend this experience itself as the basis of a game? Also, less emphasis on graphics could allow it to evolve to be very deep and rich without a colossal budget.

2) Black Lake - because it promises ambience, whimsical art, and immersive story.

3) The White Birch - for the same reasons as Black Lake unless I'm misunderstanding them both.

4) Shine Run - I'm actually not sure I'd get terribly into playing the game itself, but I found Brent's enthusiasm kind of infectious. It also struck a note with me that this would be his first chance to make a game. Assuming we'll get to see some of this process thanks to the awesomeness of 2PP, watching Brent's vision come to life for the first time would be like vicariously making a game ourselves as viewers.

As a side-note, because I'm sure Tim's got time to read me blathering on endlessly, I'm a bit of a neophile. So I like games where you're continuously problem-solving then getting new narrative content when you succeed. Adventure/exploration games are my thing rather than ones that rely on hand/eye coordination and repeating similar challenges many times just to get more "points".

The only vote I made that I attach significance to was for Black Lake. I really, really wanted that to get made. I avoided voting for any of the top four because I saw their success as at the expense of Black Lake, and was more casual about voting for games lower on the list because it seemed inconsequential.

I'm a big fan of games where you control the macro environment of your world, but you have no direct control of the units in the game. Then the AI of the units in combination with the environment creates wonderful, unexpected emergent behavior.

I think the games that use this idea, at least to some extent, were The Flock, Autonomous, Spacebase DF-9 and Redbot's Reboot. I voted for those.

Also, Echelon because I liked the idea of an audio-based game.

I gave money despite not owning a Windows machine solely to vote for "The Knockover". I am a sucker for heist movies and there hasn't been a good heist game made in ages. I think this could have been it so I am immensely saddened to see that it will not be prototyped.

I also voted for "Redbot's Reboot", it sounded a lot like a version of RoboRally with alcohol, I love RoboRally and alcohol so I thought it deserved a shot.

I gave votes to Echelon because it sounded like a nice little spy game, I'd love to decifre hidden clues and suss out background details in recordings to locate the place where it took place. I know it has been done before but it sounds like a fun game and having originally learned English playing Sierra text interface adventure games I have always mourned their passing personally.

And finally a vote hack'n'slash, since I have a soft spot for hackers but I am not certain it will actually make a great game.

Regardless I wish the winners good luck, it is going to be a tough 2 weeks to produce prototypes.

Sign in to follow this