Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jasondesante

questions aboot livestreaming

Hey I didnt see anywhere with these questions asked so I thought its a good time to make a thread.

Maybe this could be a place for questions about the livestream, because I sure have a lot of questions haha

-Is the livestream of the development gonna be 5 separate feeds, or one? I'm really interested in seeing as much as I can, so it would definitely be of huge service to the community to document as much as humanly possible, without pulling a Schrodinger's Cat on all the projects, dooming them all (ahhhh).

-Will we be able to see how people communicate, like how things are delegated and what happens when one person needs to talk to another about something?

-How open is everyone with showing the long talks of super technical things when 2 or more people are discussing something? I think it would be super valuable to just see the way they frame ideas to each other.

-Time lapsing on peoples screens? Like some youtube videos of people doing time lapses of drawing something.

-Programmers talking aloud (maybe just for a bit) to actually explain what their current goals are at whatever point in time. Or just as interesting, who prefers to work with as much silence as possible. Showing the different work styles is also a very interesting to see.

-Arguments. How open are you guys to showing arguments? Double Fine is happy, fun and full of character and laughs, but how open is everyone with showing pure frustration in the heat of the moment? It definitely must have happened in the past, and needs to happen in small amounts constantly to keep progress happening. The way Double Fine conquers this common human problem is one of the things I am most interested in seeing documented.

-Is this going to be the 2PP guys walking around with their boom mics and stuff featuring this spot for a while then another for a while? Or is it going to be more like when Mojang did their game jam live stream thing. They had cameras pointed directly at their computer screens, done.

My main thought about this whole thing was I hope its close to how cool the Mojang "Mojam" was to watch. Obviously not the most entertaining thing in the world, but you were watching Jeb program, hanging out eating food listening to music and programming. It was awesome because it was capturing a moment. This is Double Fine though, so its going to be taken up a few notches in intensity! :D

Looking forward to this a lot, hope anyone else with questions about whats actually going to go on tomorrow posts them somewhere. You guys are recording some greatness, congratulations. Thanks for doing this whole thing in the first place you are all awesome!

They're not shy about showing disagreements and tension.

Whether self-conscious and camera-aware devs will go all out is another question.

I'm not sure how feasible live streaming someone's work space is because I think our live stream camera is in the meeting room. The 2PP guys tho are rather mobile and I'm sure they will capture more interesting discussions and what not outside of the live stream room. I don't have a problem with someone watching me work for a while I suppose, as long as you don't make fun of me having the kitten live cam feed on the corner of my screen (ha!). I bet it'd be cool to watch someone draw concept art, I'm not sure how exciting it is to watch me model a tower, or like make some mood lighting. but what do i know.

*watches live feed of DF Jane watching live feed of kittens*

*eats popcorn*

And now the next episode of "Programmers talking aloud"

- HELLO JOHN!

- HELLO BILL!

- HOW WAS YOUR HOLIDAYS?!

- FINE I SUPPOSE! DO WE HAVE ANY MORE COFFEE?!

- YES WE DO!

*drinking sounds*

- SO... BACK TO PROGRAMMING, I GUESS?!

- YEAH... SEE YOU LATER!

Join us tomorrow for whole new "Programmers talking aloud". Only on live stream

I’m not sure how feasible live streaming someone’s work space is...

If just the screen, then that's rather easy (on windows/Linux at least), just need program which turns screen or selected desktop area into virtual webcam. Showing the person actually working is another thing though, then You would need actual cameras. If it would be what You want, You could live-stream all the desktops from everyone all the time (well except maybe outgoing network speed limitation for Your company) with desktop sharing/ live conferencing/screen collaboration program or website. But, that could possibly a bit slow down responsiveness and increase possibility of software failures.

If You use only single monitor per workspace (which would be strange, because mostly when I see somewhere game developer setups, there are 2-3 monitors minimum, I myself have 2 FHD monitors), You could in some way use unused output port for streaming, or use splitter.

Eh, seems this is too technical, that I don’t know You understood what I mean even a bit. Well, not impossible at least.

Sign in to follow this