Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BENJA

Lead protagonists who are female! (The White Birch, Black Lake)

Just a minor pet peeve from my film snob side - I'm starting to get a little annoyed with people over-using 'this is like a David Lynch film.' I feel like it's the new 'Kafkaesque' cliche these days.

Not every single thing that is weird or disturbing is 'like a David Lynch film.' There's also a lot more weird and disturbing artfilm out there that make Lynch only the tip of the iceberg. Or weirdberg.

Saying that something is Lynchian makes for a good shorthand, though, because lots of people know what that means. Lynch is a touchstone for a very particular kind of weird/disturbing.

There's a reason why things become cliches in the first place: they make immediate sense! (Except for the ones that don't. "You can't have your cake and eat it too" drove me crazy when I was in my teens.)

"You can't have your cake and eat it too" drove me crazy when I was in my teens.)

Then I'm not alone in that? I thought I was going to blow a blood vessel trying to make that one make sense when I was younger.

Here's some more that haven't been mentioned:

Shantae

Amy

Castlevania: Legends

And I'll throw in Skullgirls, in which all of the playable characters are female.

"You can't have your cake and eat it too" drove me crazy when I was in my teens.)

Then I'm not alone in that? I thought I was going to blow a blood vessel trying to make that one make sense when I was younger.

I sometimes feel like I'm the only person who does understand that saying.

You get a really nice cake. It has a fancy icing decoration thing on top and looks so awesome! You want to keep it. To have it forever. But you also want to eat it. You can't do both. To have a cake didn't always mean to eat it.

I did finally make sense of it, but when I was a kid it just did not work inside my head.

Just a minor pet peeve from my film snob side - I'm starting to get a little annoyed with people over-using 'this is like a David Lynch film.' I feel like it's the new 'Kafkaesque' cliche these days.

Not every single thing that is weird or disturbing is 'like a David Lynch film.' There's also a lot more weird and disturbing artfilm out there that make Lynch only the tip of the iceberg. Or weirdberg.

Saying that something is Lynchian makes for a good shorthand, though, because lots of people know what that means. Lynch is a touchstone for a very particular kind of weird/disturbing.

There's a reason why things become cliches in the first place: they make immediate sense! (Except for the ones that don't. "You can't have your cake and eat it too" drove me crazy when I was in my teens.)

I know - it really doesn't bug me that much. It's my film snob side that does though - the part of me that likes to pretend I'm swirling a glass of wine in a velvet seat while making derisive superior-sounding remarks about the latest transformers movie.

Sign in to follow this