Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Which mobile games did you like?

Pick your favorite AF mobile/tablet game!  

304 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your favorite AF mobile/tablet game!

• Double Fine High
    • Turk
    • Primordial Slime
    • Silent but Deadly
    • Echelon
    • CritterVerse
    • The Knockover
    • Bragging & Fighting
    • Milgrim
    • Flopulous
    • The Flock

The voting is over, but I'm still curious about which of the mobile and/or tablet games you all liked the most!

I'm limiting this poll to the pitches that were primarily mobile or tablet-focused, or could work well on tablet but were not one of the final five.

Vote vote vote!

Thanks!

-Tim

Still sad Milgrim didn't make it. But all the twitch/tumblr goodness has more than made up for it. besides the games that did make it are pretty exciting as well. too many interesting ideas at double fine.

Lotta great choices, especially as I've started playing more games on my phone and tablet during long commutes, but giving props to Jeremy for also loving heist movies with a vote for The Knockover.

I voted for Flopulous, because I can see that being a really fun tablet game with the whole squishing and stretching the blob thing.

It's hard to say without knowing exactly how any of the final products would play, but conceptually, I think Double Fine High or Bragging & Fighting would work really well, especially on mobile. The games I find myself playing on my phone are mostly puzzle games like Zen Bound and super simple action things like Canabalt or Fruit Ninja.

While I loved Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP and Machinarium, I loved them as Mac games -- I haven't touched them on Android. When I play more adventurey games, I'd prefer to play them on a computer or a console than on a tiny screen that's always slightly obscured by my fingers whenever I interact with the game. (Playing on a tablet probably alleviates this problem, but I don't have one, so I wouldn't know!)

I think Milgrim is a super interesting concept in general. I don't know how you can stretch it out in a full game though.

While I loved Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP and Machinarium, I loved them as Mac games -- I haven't touched them on Android. When I play more adventurey games, I'd prefer to play them on a computer or a console than on a tiny screen that's always slightly obscured by my fingers whenever I interact with the game. (Playing on a tablet probably alleviates this problem, but I don't have one, so I wouldn't know!)

Funny, other way around for me. I didn't have an iPhone nor the games on my laptop, so the Android Humble Bundle was the first time I actually played Superbrothers (via my phone). You do some device rotation for stuff like getting your sword out or using the Megatome, so I now have a hard time seeing how the PC/Mac version handles such a tactile action (I haven't loaded up Machinarium yet).

The only one that I liked and realised would work well on a tablet was Primordial Slime.

I liked the Milgrim pitch a lot more, but didn't even think about it being on a tablet. So...I guess I should vote for Milgrim?

I had to vote for the one I could see myself actually sitting with on my iPhone on the train wanting to load up for 5-15 minutes.

That was Critterverse, because of its art style.

Milgrim seems like it'd be really amazing too and the simple migration of The Flock would be good for relaxtion ala thatgamecompany's Flower.

I think what needs to be figured out is what will make any of these games which do have calls to other games Double Fine productions. I'm really excited to see Middle Manager of Justice to see how DF handles that and I think knowing that would really help me envision other of these mobile games.

I like flopulous, and I don't think it got enough votes, but I voted for critterverse because it is a game I would be more likely to play because of the characters and environments. Primordial slime does look like it would work well on mobile and tablet, also.

The Knockover!

Build a crew, set up a plan and watch the heist...go wrong, then repeat from the start! ;-)

Come on everyone, vote for Bragging&Fighting;! :)

Just one question: how is The Flock mobile or tablet-focused? I can see the others working out well in mobile devices, but it's hard for me to see that in The Flock.

MILGRIM.

I don't really want to be the bad guy.

But I def. want to be a cute little grab defending his kingdom against a horde of little men!

Milgrim seems ideal -- it's contained to one screen, has a simple drag and drop interface, and seems like you could squeeze in a few rounds here and there. I think it may need a title change to something less obtuse but the actual concept and aesthetic of the game (Super Mario Tower Dungeon Keeper Defense) is fascinating.

Without a doubt Bragging & Fighting. This one can evolve into something completely hilarious with the player coming up with the most outrageous heroes, weapons, enemies, plots ect.

Come on everyone, vote for Bragging&Fighting;;! :)

Just one question: how is The Flock mobile or tablet-focused? I can see the others working out well in mobile devices, but it's hard for me to see that in The Flock.

One more question: Why wasn't Redbot's Reboot included in the poll? It seems to be a great fit for mobile devices / tablets.

Bragging & Fighting is my favourite idea in the list, but it's most appealing to me as a couch-co-op game. I can so easily see my friends and I laughing hysterically, playing cards to troll each other and trying to get the most difficult fight.

Primordial Slime looks like it has some cool control to it... I want to play exploration games on my iphone but I hate virtual controllers, thats why I picked that one. And in the forum it said it was like Portal meets limbo? on my phone? That with the way to control the character sold me.

It would be a pretty close race between The Knockover and Bragging and Fighting.

Full disclosure: I generally don't like playing games on mobile at all and mostly don't do it. However, when I do happen to be traveling with an iPad and get trapped somewhere boring like a dentist's office, etc, I find there are certain games that I tend to like more than others, and there is a pattern to them.

I find that the iPad is most satisfying to me when the physical movements involved aren't merely inputs that the game interprets as something else. For example, swipping the screen right to make a character dash, or swiping up to make them jump, etc. In theory, this makes about as much sense as pressing a button to jump, so it shouldn't make any difference. BUT IT DOES.

After all, you could say the same thing about the Wii. Swinging the Wiimote to make Link slash his sword is just another way of telling Link to slash his sword, in theory equal to a button, but more fun because it's physical. But once you make it physical, the mind expects certain things to happen. The sword should feel heavy, but it doesn't. It should recoil upon impact, but it doesn't. It should have a lot of momentum, but it has very little. This makes it feel awkward.

Same thing with swiping up to make a character jump on the iPad. When I make those kinds of movements on the iPad, the resulting jump doesn't correspond with my own physical movement closely enough to make it feel right to me. It feels kinda wonky and I just can't get into it. (For the record, I could never get into motion controls either.)

HOWEVER.

The exceptions are where the movements are closer to one-to-one. Essentially, things that play more like card games, board games, or puzzles. Games where I move my finger across the screen to carry and place things. I might swipe my finger to flip a switch. I might poke the screen to press a button. When the thing that is happening on the screen is the sort of response that would happen to real things in the real world (i.e. not the iPad world) when I did that particular gesture to/at them, then I feel pretty good about it. I like that A LOT more.

So, in short, I voted for the games that were more tabletoppy. (I still love you, Echelon.)

I voted for Primordial Slime, mainly because that's the one game that after I watched the pitch I would have bought from the Google store if it had been available. It looked like the idea was designed specifically for tablets. :)

Bragging & Fighting:

The card base mechanics should work really well on a touch device, because moving them around and picking them would feel natural.

I also think you could put in some fun and original game mechanics for the battle. Things like unique actions for different funny weapons.

Silent, But Deadly (Should be renamed "Silent but Smelly") - not only is a smell-based stealth game a wicked idea, but I imagine it could be done well for mobile platforms.

&

Milgrim - not a revolutionary idea, but a solid one that is guaranteed fun, however, I think it's not that fit for mobile and would be better for PC.

I voted for Flopulous because I think that it's a nice concept and a 3D version of Gish would be really awesome :)

( I might have confused it with Primordial Slime, I don't know, they both sound cool )

I think like a lot of people here, I am very torn between Bragging and Fighting, and Milgrim. At the end of the day, I guess it would be Bragging and Fighting for me. It just sounds hilarious.

I voted The Flock, but Bragging and Fighting would have been my second choice.

I'm a bit bummed out to see that Milgrim didn't make it, but when it comes to mobile games, Double Fine High strikes me as being a great fit. The concept of bringing popular DF characters together all under one roof is a good way to suck people in, and if you pair that with a thoughtfully designed puzzle fighting mechanic (which I have no doubt DF could accomplish), I think you'd have a terrific game with fairly broad appeal on your hands.

That said, I'd be genuinely happy to see *any* of the pitches make their way to my iPhone one day. I am genuinely astonished by the fact that every single game idea the DFers came up with sounded like it could be fun to play. I think that if any other game studio asked its team members to come up with game ideas to present to the fans, you'd wind up with a couple so-called "stinkburgers" in the mix. The fact that there was not a single stinkburger among the mix here speaks volumes toward the overwhelming amount of talent and creativity within Double Fine's walls, and I can safely say I'd throw my money at Tim and co. no matter what game they decided to bring to mobile devices - at this point, I'm really not sure they could pump out a bad game if they actually tried to.

If this post made you think something along the lines of "tl;dr," here's a summary: I think Double Fine High would be a smart game to release on mobile devices. I then went on for a while about Tim's beard, and how I hope to one day have such awesome facial stubbery.

Sign in to follow this