Sign in to follow this  
DF Mark

Character designs

Hi everyone - my name is Mark Hamer and I'm an artist at Double Fine. I'm starting to design the characters for Hack 'n Slash and thought I would post some concepts here as I go. Hope you like them! First up is my concept for the hero/heroine of the game. We decided to go with a female hero and her primary weapon will be the usb cable she carries(we've already ditched the sword)...

Next up is the forest monster. Like the other characters you encounter in the game, he has a port you can plug into(his mouth)...

ForestMonster.jpg

ForestMonster.jpg.77de823f3847d49218521e

These look great. I hope the team finds a way to actually have the prototype look like this with some painted backgrounds like a traditional cartoon.

These look awesome, but I have to admit I'm a little confused about what's going on with the girl's hair. It seems to be tied back into a small shock of hair, but then there is also a ponytail underneath that.

I love that I can see the pixel blocks faintly in the fill of her hair and the fill of the monster ... nice touch!

Next up is the forest monster. Like the other characters you encounter in the game, he has a port you can plug into(his mouth)...

If you have a dinosaur, it should have a serial port instead. Or maybe coax.

Thanks for sharing your concepts, this process is so cool! I've backed Kickstarters before, but these 2 weeks are going to be the ultimate turnaround or concept-into-game experience!

I really like the monster; it's simple with all the key features (looks like a monster, has usb port). They remind me of octarocs, maybe they spit usb-sticks or corporeal packets of data? Or try to plug-in to or eat your character and deal damage up close?

These look awesome, but I have to admit I'm a little confused about what's going on with the girl's hair. It seems to be tied back into a small shock of hair, but then there is also a ponytail underneath that.

I think it's meant to be a sort of androgynous look in case they go with either a hero or heroine for the main character. Though it does look a bit odd all together that way. I could see it as a double hairstyle look for a heroine; The top-knot warrior style, but the remaining hair in a ponytail under that.

Thanks for all your feedback guys! Here's some updates for you. First is the hero character. Brandon asked me to to make her hair white/blue and to replace the sheath with a messenger bag since she carries a laptop. So here she is, these are renders from flash so this is how she'll look in the game...

Hero_CharacterSheet.jpg

Hero_CharacterSheet.jpg.b13a2a08d2da0044

Everyone like the Forest Monster as he was, so here's a final render of him from flash...

ForestMonster_CharacterShee.jpg

ForestMonster_CharacterShee.jpg.f5dabe14

Here's the last of the main characters, the Castle Guard. He has a usb port on his helmet so you can connect to him. I thought he looked kind of creepy and menacing like that too...

Guard_CharacterSheet.jpg

Guard_CharacterSheet.jpg.be32dce083e4d28

Quite like the attempt of a subtle mix of themes, with the large pixel details and hidden ports. The guard is particularly well done, the USB port fits so much more than in the Outdoors monster.

Really not feeling the bug-eyed heroine and exaggerated elf features, really disappointed by that. With no offence meant that leaves me hoping that from afar she ends up looking more simple style like in Razmig's painting.

If there's still no name for the heroine, I've got a good one.

Star

Sounds pretty, and it references both the programming and Zelda inspirations for the game. The main character of Zelda is Link, which refers to the link between the player and the game world. Star is another name for the asterisk symbol, used in c-like programming languages to denote pointers to data in memory, or in other words a link to said data. So a pretty nerdy reference but that probably makes it all the more fitting. Tell me what you think!

I like Star. It's simple, pointer-y, and she's the Star of the game :)

Thanks! Glad you like it.

Quite like the attempt of a subtle mix of themes, with the large pixel details and hidden ports. The guard is particularly well done, the USB port fits so much more than in the Outdoors monster.

Really not feeling the bug-eyed heroine and exaggerated elf features, really disappointed by that. With no offence meant that leaves me hoping that from afar she ends up looking more simple style like in Razmig's painting.

Exactly my thoughts. The guard is awesome. The heroine is a bit unappealing.

I really like the heroine's design. She looks like a badass. The strange pixelated texture to her hair is a nice touch.

I think some guards should have a shield in front of them that they move when attacking, so the player need to time their hookshot to avoid the shield and hit the usb port...

I like the heroine's design, but I feel she could use eyes that are a tad smaller.

Also, any chances monsters, or features in the game will use other ports(Firewire, Ethernet, eSATA, Thunderbolt, HDMI, DVI, etc)? Just USB seems a little limited(though I guess for a prototype I could understand limiting what is used).

I like the heroine's design, but I feel she could use eyes that are a tad smaller.

Also, any chances monsters, or features in the game will use other ports(Firewire, Ethernet, eSATA, Thunderbolt, HDMI, DVI, etc)? Just USB seems a little limited(though I guess for a prototype I could understand limiting what is used).

What we really need is an I2C port. (In before someone points out that isn't part of the hardware layer.)

Thanks for all your feedback guys! Here's some updates for you. First is the hero character. Brandon asked me to to make her hair white/blue and to replace the sheath with a messenger bag since she carries a laptop. So here she is, these are renders from flash so this is how she'll look in the game...

I like the messenger bag and usb cord idea.

A bit of critique though: Her eyes, in the front view, are weird and distracting as they're narrowly placed. The shapes of her eyes also make it out that she looks angry.

I also think there is a missed opportunity for a game about hacking is that she isn't wearing some awesome glasses/specs; as in big frame hipster type of glasses. 8-)

Keep up the good work!

i'm really digging the art style and design of the creatures and character. can't wait to see the finished product!

A bit of critique though: Her eyes, in the front view, are weird and distracting as they're narrowly placed. The shapes of her eyes also make it out that she looks angry.

Keep up the good work!

Yeah I agree on the eyes, something about them doesn't quite fit, a little too angry, a little too big.

Sign in to follow this