Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Lee

1st pass Map

Here's the first pass map for the Autonomous prototype world, which is 1024x1024 meters. That may be wildly too big, we'll know for sure once we get some block mesh thrown in, which Freddie is working on.

A few other notes:

- Black areas are negative space, filled procedurally by structures of varying heights, looks and other details.

- White areas are traversable.

- Pink areas are stairs and platforms that rise above the walls that only the player can go.

- Pink stars are player spawn areas.

- Yellow areas are player doors, that only the player can open. Player doors are placed throughout to occasionally gate the areas so bots don’t go wild!

- Teal area around the border is space reserved for us to put facades to fake a “distant vista”.

- Purple “L” areas are spaces reserved for landmarks (Different ones are placed in different locations procedurally)

- I tried to create several open arenas with plenty of space for primitives, weapons, energy cores, energy panels, etc. These will all be semi-randomly spawned and will be different every play session.

awesome post! Awesome to see how much is already been figured out! stairs, platforms, doors, landmarks?!?!?!? and even words like negative space! haha :) Looking forward to how it comes along :D

This is interesting... I'd like to hear more about how the procedurally-generated maps work if you get the time to come back to it.

Question from a non-expert:

So are these pixel maps you posted just a sort of mockup of what a typical map layout might look like? Or is this game going to randomly generate one of these pixel maps that it will then use as a reference to draw the actual 3D world from? Would the player be able to name and save a bunch of different worlds that are stored as basically bitmaps? It just made me wonder, because even though it's a wildly different game, Terraria does something sort of like this. With the fan-made map editor, you can even open up the bitmap and repaint the pixels different colors to modify the maps.

But it's entirely possible that I'm misunderstanding what's going on in either case!

Sign in to follow this