Sign in to follow this  
DF Lee

Autonomous Screen Shots

The mockup actually looks closer to very early 1990s CGI. Just put gouraud shading on almost everything. ;)

I didn't know Autonomous was so inspired by Frank R Paul!

Awesome work!

The last screenshot reminds me of the mechs from Captain power and the soldiers of the future world! (e.g. Soaron)

Beginning of Day 3

That looks fantastic. Absolutely love the style.

Autonomous, Day 5 screen shots

Got our wire shader in, based on light source

Some electric/distortion effects

Anamorphic flares (using bloom kernel)

First person model/camera

day5.jpg

Day5b.jpg

Not bad for like four days work.

Not bad? NOT BAD???????!!!! This is PURE AWESOME AND GENIOUS! Seriously!

The only AAA in the AF 2012 in my opinion.

What is the underlying game engine?

What is the underlying game engine?

Hey I can be helpful for once! It's Double Fine's Buddha, first developed for Brutal Legend.

Wow, that looks amazing, especially for four days! I absolutely love the art style :D

This looks amazing. I was thinking this wasn't going to be my thing, but you have won me over and then some.

Those pictures are so TRON that it's TRON.

I love MORE TRON!

TRONTRONTRONTRONTRON

It is fascinating to see how the DF Duders/Dudettes crank out such quality work that fast! As a "consumer", I am used waiting for years for a game to come out and it is easy to forget about the level of experience and craftmanship they have running in their blood at all times!

As I follow some game developers - mostly engine/graphics programmers - on Twitter (and some are even graciously following me back), I have to restrain myself from making comments; always reminding myself, although they are accessible, there is a huge gap between Average_Joe 9-to-5 programmer (outside the games industry) and the wild bunch of game coders, with decades of experience in their business and "shipped" games in their portfolio.

Same goes for designers and artists. More power to you, guys.

... now where is my copy of Monoliths Tron 2.0 - just for comparison ... ;)

Can anyone tell me how they managed to make the edges of objects glow?

Is this a custom shader (the wire shader that Lee mentions?)

Is the glow / light of the edges dynamic or baked into the texture?

Can anyone tell me how they managed to make the edges of objects glow?

Is this a custom shader (the wire shader that Lee mentions?)

Is the glow / light of the edges dynamic or baked into the texture?

It's fully dynamic, so no baked data! :-)

Basically I create a "edge buffer" based on the discontinuities in the normal buffer (which we calculate for the deferred lighting anyway). This buffer is then used in different ways. I changed our deferred lights to use the data to make the edges glow (in addition to the standard lighting calculation). Also Drew wrote a bunch of shaders that use the edge buffer directly during the shading pass. Examples include the skydome and the pyramids in the background.

Basically I create a "edge buffer" based on the discontinuities in the normal buffer (which we calculate for the deferred lighting anyway). This buffer is then used in different ways. I changed our deferred lights to use the data to make the edges glow (in addition to the standard lighting calculation). Also Drew wrote a bunch of shaders that use the edge buffer directly during the shading pass. Examples include the skydome and the pyramids in the background.

So to get the edge buffer are you convolving some kind of image derivative kernel over the normal buffer like the Sobel operator?

So to get the edge buffer are you convolving some kind of image derivative kernel over the normal buffer like the Sobel operator?

I don't think I've ever read an sentence in English where I have understood less words :D

Yep its effectively a biased Sobel filter.

I don't think I've ever read an sentence in English where I have understood less words :D

This is how I read it:

Basically I create a "edge buffer" based on wizardry and dark magic.

Looking amazing guys, you're nailing the look set out in the concept art for sure. Really dig the electrical effect (the one being conjured in the player's hands) you've got going on in the Day 4 video, too.

Sign in to follow this