• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
DF Brian Min

The White Birch Audio Thread

Hey guys!

I will try to post my progress on The White Birch audio. Just had an awesome meeting with Andy about the overall creative direction and we'll see what happens!

As a teaser, I have posted a PIC of the first opening few bars for The White Birch music sketch!

Dang, that is one catchy tune. I really like the use of octaves and, uh, the note "C".

So many notes! I can barely tell what's going on! I'm guessing a Bach influence. ;-)

I'm so glad you started a audio thread for this project and I look forward to see what direction you take with this game. What audio program/gear are you using?

it's um...notes upside down! DD: ugggh, I wanna watch you guys record but damn school calls. I know that this is gonna come out great though!

Hey guys!

I'm about to upload the first draft The White Birch suite. It's got the right instrumentation but Andy felt it needed to be more "uplifting". You guys can discuss what you liked or disliked about the piece! :)

I'm working on the second draft now! The one that I was working on the Live Stream.

-Brian

Protools kinda botched the notation but you get the idea... I'm trying to see why the forums won't let me upload mp3's

TheWhiteBirchSuite_Sketch_v1.png

TheWhiteBirchSuite_Sketch_v1.png.a9d4457

I'm so glad you started a audio thread for this project and I look forward to see what direction you take with this game. What audio program/gear are you using?

Our content creation gear includes Protools and various software synths, off the shelf libraries, and recording our own material. On the integration side, we use fMOD as the sound engine/middleware for getting sounds playing in the game. We also have a custom music/sfx/voice integration tool as well. We dig into Maya often for location specific sounds.

-Brian

http://doublefine.tumblr.com/post/37142894939/early-music-from-the-white-birch-by-brian-min

Here is a quick link to the first draft of the White Birch Suite. It's a bit too somber and not quite uplifting so I'm going to try to invert the emotional and notational "energy" upward and see what happens! :) Let me know your thoughts guys.

-Brian

That is stunning. I quite like the sombreness to be honest. It has that Ico/Colossus feel to it, one of journeying through an unforgiving but beautiful landscape.

If you're going to make it uplifting, it would be nice to keep this tone as well for dark places.

http://doublefine.tumblr.com/post/37142894939/early-music-from-the-white-birch-by-brian-min

Here is a quick link to the first draft of the White Birch Suite. It's a bit too somber and not quite uplifting so I'm going to try to invert the emotional and notational "energy" upward and see what happens! :) Let me know your thoughts guys.

-Brian

That actually sounds great! I can hear the "somber" sound in there, but I can hear the slightest bit of a more uplifting side to it as well. Not UPBEAT uplifting in a happy/silly sort of way. I think with the kind of game you guys are aiming for, Mario/Kirby music doesn't really fit.

I hope I'm right in interpreting your meaning as something like "emotionally uplifting" in a profound sort of way.

In that sense, I think you're on the right track, and in certain places your sample reminds me of the piano piece "Everyday" by Carly Comando.

You can definitely make it have a sort of profound feel to it, while still stressing a more dangerous/ominous side in certain parts, perhaps similar to how Carly emphasizes the bass notes at around 1:45. I'm sure you could put those strings to good use to that end!

Keep up the good work. =]

Hey Brian just wonderin if you use Reaktor and if you think it would be possible to use it somehow for game audio or inspiration for a better way of doing game audio since its a programming language.

Awesome watchin the livestream today, it must have felt weird knowing hundreds of people were right there listening to everything you were playing

Brian thanks for letting us watch you compose that music on the livestream! it was very cool and i totaly enjoyed watching those pianos and strings u were weaving together.

I got those journey vibes

Brian thanks for letting us watch you compose that music on the livestream! it was very cool and i totaly enjoyed watching those pianos and strings u were weaving together.

I got those journey vibes

Thank you very much! We will see if we can improve the sound quality by piping in the audio directly to the feed. It was very impromptu! :)

I'm actually done with the piece and it'd be a blast to share how it turn out with you guys. (After Andy takes a listen) It actually kinda evolved into something a bit more dramatic! Which is kinda hilarious because I meant to keep it kind of intimate, but it kinda became "huge" I'll post the somewhat final version and see what you guys think. I think it'll be a hoot for those of you who saw the live stream and then hear the final version.

It definitely moves upward and has kind of an interesting twist.

-Brian

-Brian

That actually sounds great! I can hear the "somber" sound in there, but I can hear the slightest bit of a more uplifting side to it as well. Not UPBEAT uplifting in a happy/silly sort of way. I think with the kind of game you guys are aiming for, Mario/Kirby music doesn't really fit.

I hope I'm right in interpreting your meaning as something like "emotionally uplifting" in a profound sort of way.

In that sense, I think you're on the right track, and in certain places your sample reminds me of the piano piece "Everyday" by Carly Comando.

You can definitely make it have a sort of profound feel to it, while still stressing a more dangerous/ominous side in certain parts, perhaps similar to how Carly emphasizes the bass notes at around 1:45. I'm sure you could put those strings to good use to that end!

Keep up the good work. =]

Carly's work is quite amazing. Boy her piano sounds SO good! Sorry I unfortunately don't have a steinway lying around at Double Fine. I'm also a bit out of shape in terms of piano chops. It's certainly a great inspiration!

Hey Brian just wonderin if you use Reaktor and if you think it would be possible to use it somehow for game audio or inspiration for a better way of doing game audio since its a programming language.

Awesome watchin the livestream today, it must have felt weird knowing hundreds of people were right there listening to everything you were playing

Camden (our other sound designer/composer) probably has more knowledge that I do regarding Reaktor. Reaktor and tools similar to it definitely serves as an inspiration for pipeline and certain aspects of procedural audio. But to actually integrate that tool into the game dev cycle probably doesn't make sense. We have fMOD or wWise for that. These middleware tools were designed to be integrated into a game dev environment while Reaktor would require a whole set of new hook points.

Livestream was fun and hilarious! Thanks for the support! :)

Hey guys,

For those of you who was watching the LIVE stream yesterday, here is the link to the "final" version of the tune I was working on from yesterday. :)

Let me know what you guys think! Andy approved, mostly. Just concerned about chopping this piece up and integrating it into the game at the right moments with the right bits.

http://doublefine.tumblr.com/post/37223931620/

Brian, that sounds really awesome. Uplifting at times, ominous at others. Exactly what Andy said. It's weird to hear it with that optimistic sounding piano music at the end followed by some dark contrabass though. The unsettling unresolved feeling it leaves you with, though, might be what you were going for.

Hey guys,

For those of you who was watching the LIVE stream yesterday, here is the link to the "final" version of the tune I was working on from yesterday. :)

Let me know what you guys think! Andy approved, mostly. Just concerned about chopping this piece up and integrating it into the game at the right moments with the right bits.

http://doublefine.tumblr.com/post/37223931620/

Sounds great! I love the quiet segment right before the ambient bassy part at the end.

Watching Jane on the stream right now with that music playing in the background, and somehow i never seem get tired of hearing it even though it's been on for like an hour now. I'd say that's a good sign right there!

Hearing it so many times also made me think of how the piano parts kinda resemble the Gabriel Knight 3 soundtrack by Robert Holmes. Thats one of my favorite game soundtracks, it's got that darkness in it but also a sense of hope. Really looking forward to hearing more stuff from you!

BTW, here's two of the songs it reminded me of, if you ever need some inspiration :)

Hah that's funny because I worked on Gabriel Knight 2 with Jane Jensen back in the day... I didn't contribute much though to the soundtrack. I was mostly a foley editor back then.

You guys are making me want to write more cues but boy I've got too many things to do besides music. The game can't be all music. It needs ambience, sound design, footstep/foley, and cutscenes with BIG stuff landing/falling. :)

Really loving the title track, I was right there with Andy when his face lit up hearing it on Day 3. Really haunting, yet beautiful too.

I would LOVE to flesh out the track and do a full version but we'll see! In the mean time, we've got a lot of ingame sound design assets and cutscene FX to generate! /sigh

:)

Sign in to follow this