Sign in to follow this  
yuenkay

The Environment: Day 2

I'm going to start a thread for each Day, otherwise the updates might get buried in the comments (which are great!) and I can't think of a better way organize it so oh well.

The cameras are being worked on, so I didn't do too much on the interior because I don't want to have to rescale things if the tower end up being too small. DaveG has mocked up some puzzle spaces, so i put one in there, with our set mechanic metrics (for jumping etc) and it seems like the current space should fit. Screen shot attached. We can evaluate tomorrow with a game cam.

There is plenty of work to be done on the outside. Please see the Day 1 thread to see the awesome shitty day 1 shot.

Some of you watched my terrifying screencast so you saw what i was kind of working on. If you want to see it, it's linked here about one hour mark, If you see words and cats on screen you're at the right spot. http://www.twitch.tv/doublefine/b/343993171

I totally broke the game, it was great.

So the outside, yeah. The important part is to put some stuff in. ANY stuff would be better than nothing. I put a tree card ring in, so our texture artist ShaoWei can put some tree card tests on it. Then I put some random viney-shapes from old projects in there, again, creepy amorphous shapes are good. Then I had to put some soft grass in. It is pretty important to put something to soften the ground, because if you have sharp polygons (your characters feet or anything other objects) sitting on ground, that really hard edge just screams "OMG CG" in a BAD way. We have a system called "ambient meshes", which is great for stuff like grasses and what not.

Basically I make one tuft of grass (or a group of small rocks). I make a Definition for it, which specify size ranges, what mesh to use, how density level, how much color it takes from the terrain to blend in with its texture.... Then i go into the MUE, and paint it on the terrain. The painted parts will automatically grow the Amb Mesh! Kind of neat.

Anyway, got most of the basic components. The tree cards is just a proxy card, Shao Wei will do a way more awesome one, but now she can change the texture and immediately see how it would look in game. I will have to make some thorny bramble to shove up against the tower Sleeping Beauty style, I just bugged Andy about giving me some reference, and I think he put some together.

Day 3, we'll see if we have a working camera, then we can check out if the interior space is good. There is still plenty of work to do on the exterior, need to make some thorny things, and then we are also going to mock up a fake scene that shows you the top of the tower as the start screen. If I have to wait on anything tomorrow, I'll make that.

Here are some screens of the work today, I think the exterior actually ended up being bluer but this is a better screenshot.... and watch the screencast if you want to see some more. Ta ta.

wow! awesome! Obviously everyone at Double Fine doesn't need to do a daily blog, but you are setting the bar high, and its great! Very much appreciated! Hope everyone internally is as communicative as you are!

edit: MUE I...um...forgot...what that means

Hey Jane! Just wanted to say thanks for the desktop streaming today. Everyone in the chat really appreciated all of your notepad antics and internet cats. Looking forward to seeing more! :)

Some of you watched my terrifying screencast so you saw what i was kind of working on. If you want to see it, it’s linked here about one hour mark, If you see words and cats on screen you’re at the right spot. http://www.twitch.tv/doublefine/b/343993171

I totally broke the game, it was great.

That was totally funny, cause on the word doc you were like, "I think I broke it. Opps." Oh gwad, that was amusing. And the cats in the game The Cave. Dude, I totally gotta find this now.

But I cant wait to see you work on more. Also, "she's suppose to jump about 5m. mathy math time." - hahaha, that was win too. but I was more like, wait...5m? Is that even possible? I hope that worked out just fine!, Can't wait to see the next part. (sadly i'll have to miss Friday's broadcast. School) But keep it up!

- Emiifire.

Thanks for your continued posts, Jane.

Pizza box man standing on the new grass in the first screen makes me laugh. Sticks out like a sore thumb. ^_^

Hey Jane! Just wanted to say thanks for the desktop streaming today. Everyone in the chat really appreciated all of your notepad antics and internet cats. Looking forward to seeing more! :)

This. Great work. :) Notepad antics ftw.

Darnit Jane, now I'm looking at cat gifs! :P

I just thought you should know.

<---also ironic, my new forum title, it's a conspiracy!

Enjoyed your steam, thanks for letting us watch along! I dig the outside world borders you got in place already.

This game looks like it will be fabulous. I have one observation about the camera question. Given that Andy has mentioned Ico a number of times as an inspiration for the game, I noticed something about the camera in that game when I was playing it back in the day; The camera position and player position have a 1:1 relationship.

That is, for every single player position in the whole game, there is only one place where the camera can be. This works incredibly well for framing nice shots of the landscape as it takes a lot of unknowns about player movement out of the equation in calculating where the camera should be. The only problem is that a level designer would have to create a 'rail' for the camera and link a position on the rail to every place a player character can be, like a certain area or distance along a ledge.

Hope this is a useful suggestion.

It was great to see you work on the stream yesterday, i hope we will have other occasions to follow you on the following days.

Thanks again for everything !

I'd sort of imagined the interior of the tower being so large (and maybe purposefully a different sized/shaped space) that it'd require a loading screen or multiple environments strung together somehow (do games still use loading screens?).

Maybe they don't... Oh, technology these days!

:)

wow! awesome! Obviously everyone at Double Fine doesn't need to do a daily blog, but you are setting the bar high, and its great! Very much appreciated! Hope everyone internally is as communicative as you are!

edit: MUE I...um...forgot...what that means

MUE = multi user editor = our internal world editor that I can use inside Maya.

So for example, I make the tower as a maya asset.

Then I will open the MUE world editor, and then place it as an entity in the world, with various settings like, shadow casting, terrain occlusion, if it has collision etc. To change the geometry of the tower, I would change the tower asset. To change the location of the tower in the game world, or its game attributes, I will go into the MUE to change it. Hope that makes it clearer!

The "terrain" is also modified inside the MUE.

I imagined the base of the tower being submerged underneath the canopy of a dark forest rather than in a meadow.

I really appreciate you sharing and documenting the process. It's interesting.

ur really good at this stuff!

even with the simple geometry an eerie, sublime atmosphere is already present...

Jane thank you so much for showing us how to make the stairs you are the best thank you soooo much!

MUE = multi user editor = our internal world editor that I can use inside Maya.

So for example, I make the tower as a maya asset.

Then I will open the MUE world editor, and then place it as an entity in the world, with various settings like, shadow casting, terrain occlusion, if it has collision etc. To change the geometry of the tower, I would change the tower asset. To change the location of the tower in the game world, or its game attributes, I will go into the MUE to change it. Hope that makes it clearer!

The "terrain" is also modified inside the MUE.

Thats an amazingly clear answer thanks so much! :D

Jane thank you so much for showing us how to make the stairs you are the best thank you soooo much!

Actually i really should thank YOU all for making me feel like such a bad ass! I was really unsure of doing anything on camera before, you all know the hoolaballoo about women in games and all that. I've been really surprised by the outpouring of appreciation and love from this, it makes me realize that yes while some people can be juvenile and mean on the Internet, there are also many people who are wonderful and even if I am a stranger to you, give me so much praise and support and help me rekindle a sense of wonder about my craft. I have been doing this for a long time and it is very easy to forget that making a game world, is something very special and wonderous indeed. Making stairs was so meh before you guys remind me no its like magic!! You guys are the best. Group hug!!

I really enjoyed your messages that explained your logic for how you use reference materials to solve the problems.

you all know the hoolaballoo about women in games and all that.

It is true that even in 2012 there is still prejudice against women, not only in the game industry but in almost all ICT workplaces especially for senior / management positions. All the male coworkers play it cool, like ...you know...there is no prejudice...but unfortunately deep down inside they have inherited such gender stereotypes.

But i believe this prejudice stays only inside a company. Game fans most of the times don't make such distinctions.

For e.g. we all love:

Jane Jensen (Gabriel Knight)

Lori Cole (Quest for Glory)

Roberta Williams (King Quest)

Brenda Garno Romero (Wizardry)

EDIT: I just realized that all Amnesia Fortnight Pitch videos (and ideas?) are from guys.

Just an idea: In the next Amnesia Fortnight all DF women work on an idea together and kick some ass!

It is true that even in 2012 there is still prejudice against women, not only in the game industry but in almost all ICT workplaces especially for senior / management positions. All the male coworkers play it cool, like ...you know...there is no prejudice...but unfortunately deep down inside they have inherited such gender stereotypes.

But i believe this prejudice stays only inside a company. Game fans most of the times don't make such distinctions.

For e.g. we all love:

Jane Jensen (Gabriel Knight)

Lori Cole (Quest for Glory)

Roberta Williams (King Quest)

Brenda Garno Romero (Wizardry)

It's complex. Sometimes prejudice exists in specific people, sometimes it's an institutional relic, sometimes it's somewhere in between. In one place you'll find a lot of it, while in another place you'll find almost none. Fight it where you see it, but don't paint with broad brushes.

EDIT: I just realized that all Amnesia Fortnight Pitch videos (and ideas?) are from guys.

Just an idea: In the next Amnesia Fortnight all DF women work on an idea together and kick some ass!

This was discussed in another thread. All the DF women are welcome to pitch, if they want to. They just didn't want to this time.

Sign in to follow this