Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Spacebase DF-9 art thread

Hey guys! We've been super busy the past two days and are off to a good start. We now have a version of the game where you can start with an open starfield strewn with asteroids (brown boxes) and build base rooms using our temporary tile set.

You can also place citizens, who show up with randomly generated names and report some basic information about themselves - what jobs they're best at, their health and morale. This is only for debug purposes though; in the finished prototype new citizens will show up via in-game events. The citizens are using Bagel's initial character art tests. Before too long we'll have them moving around.

Re: brown boxes: if you haven't heard the term "programmer art", it's the quick-and-dirty blocky MSPaint type stuff that we use to get something up and functioning immediately. Once artists work their magic, you can replace the bits of programmer art with real art, and everything looks a billion times better. It's an exciting moment, but we're not quite there yet... just having Bagel's quick characters in there makes it start to feel like something though!

Attached: a shot of my work desktop running the latest build, with some art reference I was showing the team on the second monitor:

desktop_20121129.jpg

desktop_20121129.jpg.7543e762841b3216520

Also! Here is one of the rad UI mockups Joe K did. This helps us get a sense for the user interface, how to organize info and what the visual style is. (The text is faked, those events don't actually happen in the game yet.)

wireframe1.jpg

wireframe1.jpg.81f10b40c3a9911dc6c864d42

Lastly, here's the character art Bagel did. This is just an early test, eventually these and hopefully lots more little people will turn into animated citizens of your base.

SpaceBasesketchesTaller.jpg

SpaceBasesketchesTaller.jpg.5593aa0ec4b0

Loving Bagel's character art. :)

edit: Will you guys use the Bagel-filter as standard, or will it be a toggle between "Normal Mode" and "Bagel Mode"? ;-)

Also! Here is one of the rad UI mockups Joe K did. This helps us get a sense for the user interface, how to organize info and what the visual style is. (The text is faked, those events don't actually happen in the game yet.)

I just imagine characters starting to riot as the alcohol low icon pops up on the screen. How else will they be able to cope with being in deep space if they can't freely inebriate themselves?

I like the potential for subtle humor in the event messages and I'm already enjoying the character name database.

is 24:10 some kind of space time? Otherwise, looking good.

Oh yeah, also a question: Will you make the game completely playable with hotkeys or will the mouse take preference? Or half and half? The 'look' tab had me already thinking about my 'q' and 'k' keys from Dwarf Fortress.

Good stuff to start off with. Good choice in art reference material too with Moon. Love that film.

Moon was just on TV last night. Such a good movie, and fits as great inspiration for this style of game. Hopefully there will be something in the game named Gerty as a homage.

So where's all the towels? They all have towels right?

The UI mockup text that said "You sealed a door. For some reason." gave off serious Douglas Adams/ Hitchhiker's Guide vibes... Always a good thing in my book!

Moon was just on TV last night. Such a good movie, and fits as great inspiration for this style of game. Hopefully there will be something in the game named Gerty as a homage.

Absolutely. Moon is one of my favorite recent films; JP's as well. And I've seen Burger, our technical artist, using stills from Moon as reference as he works on the tileset.

Looks fantastic, I'd love to see the little notes behind the coding, game design is incredibly fascinating. I'm curious to see how the zoning will work out just from that paragraph !!

Hey peoples! Here's a WIP shot/mockup of the tileset for walls I did yesterday, based on the template I made on Wednesday. The main goal of this was to help set the tone for the art in the game. There are a lot of different directions you can go, so I wanted to make sure we capture that clean, but lived-in future look. It's not bright and cheery, but it's also not too dark and creepy.

tile_mockup.png

tile_mockup.png.7b03cb6f7b478f1c47d750d4

Hey peoples! Here's a WIP shot/mockup of the tileset for walls I did yesterday, based on the template I made on Wednesday. The main goal of this was to help set the tone for the art in the game. There are a lot of different directions you can go, so I wanted to make sure we capture that clean, but lived-in future look. It's not bright and cheery, but it's also not too dark and creepy.

Would love to see what could have evolved to live in crawl-spaces in space...

Space-rats.

Those new yellow-ish tiles really remind me of Beneath a Steel Sky, which is definitely one of my favorite looking games ever. Hope you will continue in this direction, it really makes areas feel more like actual places people could live instead of the standard "sterile" white sci-fi environments. Here's some screenshots to hopefully inspire you :) Keep up the good work!

406577-beneath-a-steel-sky-windows-screenshot-a-apartment-complex.gif

406578-beneath-a-steel-sky-windows-screenshot-inside-reich-s-apartment.gif

406577-beneath-a-steel-sky-windows-scree

406578-beneath-a-steel-sky-windows-scree

I think you might want to mix the colors up a bit more. As it is, that looks like a Metro app, but I'm pretty sure you were going more for LCARS.

Those new yellow-ish tiles really remind me of Beneath a Steel Sky, which is definitely one of my favorite looking games ever. Hope you will continue in this direction, it really makes areas feel more like actual places people could live instead of the standard "sterile" white sci-fi environments. Here's some screenshots to hopefully inspire you :) Keep up the good work!

That is such good reference! Man, I love that game, and the art is great. I will keep that in mind!

Love the art for the exteriors. Has kind of a Star Trek: TNG feel to it :)

Can't wait to see this all put together with the final (prototype) art :P

I like it a lot.

Lastly, here's the character art Bagel did. This is just an early test, eventually these and hopefully lots more little people will turn into animated citizens of your base.

I can't stop thinking that that lower left guy looks like Hitler.

I really, really like those final characters. I think you guys found a great balance between the cute/painterly style and a more realistic approach. The animations are great, too! The shading and lighting on them makes them look very alive. Can't wait to see them milling about the base!

those look really nice!

I messed with the human dude and made the Chain Smoking Engineer/R&D Lady:

xOt6E.png

edit;

soap bubble diplomat extrudes an aura of calm repose

an8Nz.png

e2;

avoids crowded areas where she might be jostled - trip - and crack her precious headcrystals :<

xX9Fx.png

Sign in to follow this