Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
theinternetftw

Programming Livestream Segments

Personally, I'm for it. Notch's Ludum Dare streams were a treat (

), and I'm sure DFs would be too, as well as being more realistic seeing as you guys have you know, actual teams, a real engine or two, and more than 48hrs at your disposal.

But with the way twitch is currently set up, it'd be completely inscrutable. No way could anything be read at the 480p-ish current res.

If you guys could pop up the resolution to HD at those times, it should be fine (the static nature of the average screen would probably keep bandwidth reasonable, if that factors in to all this). But if you can't manage that, any attempt to show people programming will look incredibly similar to Black Squiggles Getting Longer: The Movie.

So true for the programmer desktop cast it needs to be upped to 720p at least to make it readable.

you want a programmer stream? i dont think its that good an idea. putting what a programmer is thinking of and why is he doing what hes doing right now is extremely difficult...and rather boring for the outsider (that last point is just a guess). things like: "ok, yeh, just a direction, dot product, > 0, draw icon, blink, listen for a keypress" or "ok, i should connect through this method, run, why doesnt it work? [10 minutes pass] OOOH, it should have come through here first!" just doesnt strike me as interesting.

For the record the few I've seen have been very interesting. Check out the Notch link above for such an example.

As some one who still has hope (however faint that hope is) of being a programmer at a company like Double Fine I'm very interested in seeing programmers actually program if only really to get a feel for the different types of programming within the industry from tools to game play & AI programming. Plus it's nice for them to get a chance to show what they can do, something which isn't done much with programmers compared to the art people (which does make sense as they are doing the most visually interesting tasks, really).

CorruptBiggins: because its much easier to understand what art ppl are doing. being a programmer requires focus. i mean serious focus and thinking about quite a lot of things all at the same time, even though there is usually one main line of thought.

theinternetftw: ive just checked the link. its as bad as ive imagined. this doesnt give you much insight at all. and notch should really learn to rename variables through refactoring.

I guess I'm just not brilliant enough to turn my nose up at such things. How much did you watch? Enough to see him actually produce anything? Watching him get rendering and perspective stuff up was really cool, I thought. Though I don't know much about graphics.

I think most of us who are clamoring for programming screencasts are ourselves programmers, so we generally know what we're getting ourselves into. I admit that it's kinda weird that I'd want to watch someone else work, but that's sort of what this whole project is about, isn't it? I'm not expecting to learn how to program from a livestream, but I'm still interested in knowing how the programmers are using their time on these projects. How long does it take them to do things? What tasks are they actually working on? Are they working with assets from the artists or using programmer art? Do they also look at cat gifs while working? I think a programmer stream could answer some of these questions, plus I think it'd be amusing (in a schadenfreude-laden way) to see the early builds crash in horrible ways (unless they don't, in which case I'd like to experience that miracle vicariously).

ok, if it fulfills your needs, then i dont really care. i just see it as boring. if this was extreme programming and you were actually there with him, then yes, it might be fun, but not like this (at least for me).

I'd love to see some programming. As mentioned, the stream would have to be much higher resolution to read the writing (I wouldn't mind a quality increase anyway, but I dunno how feasible this is).

I can understand programming would be boring for some people to watch, but I think a lot of the stuff shown would be considered "boring" for many people anyway. Most people are watching streams with people playing fast paced games, not of someone slowly painting a picture or working on a wireframe model. The stuff they're streaming is already something only specific people enjoy watching. 30 minutes or longer of someone programming would be welcome I think. Doesn't really matter if they actually end up programming a substantial feature, I'm mostly curious how they've got everything structured.

I think more programmer geared content would be great! If they can't figure out how to make a stream of someone programming legible/fun to watch I would defiantly be interested in just hearing people give a technical description of the whatever subsystem they are working on. I'm thinking something along the lines of the scenes we saw with Nathan Martz or Brandon Dillon would be great:

Nathan Martz, D1P1 @1:31:00

Brandon Dillion, D2P2 @00:50:00

Bent: thats more like it! indeed, that part of the stream was excellent. discussing things like architecture, complex algorithms and "how is it done" in general is MUCH better.

I would also be interested in seeing this. If any programmer would be ok with it, and it´s possible to get a decent quality on the stream, it would be real fun and interesting to watch.

Bent: thats more like it! indeed, that part of the stream was excellent. discussing things like architecture, complex algorithms and "how is it done" in general is MUCH better.

Though, if they go with the technical description route (and I not necessarily saying they should ;) ) it would be important to hit the tone just right. It would be better, I feel, for them to err on the side of being too technical rather than not technical enough. I'd like a conversation that sounded as if they were describing things to another programmer (albeit one that doesn't know anything about the subsystem being described).

exactly. discussions with oliver and nathan on these subjects in these forums have already proven to be interesting. ive learnt some interesting stuff already. like how does one have to work with scaleform under various circumstances :).

Sign in to follow this