Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Raz

LOGO

here were my initial work-ups for the logo. i was checking out 80's vertical scroller games for inspiration. when i say "inspiration", i mean "to steal".

it was down to these 2 logos for the final. i was going for a "cold steel" look with the blue one...but Brandon and i both agreed that the gold one is more fantastical and nerdy.

roughs.jpg

roughs.jpg.cd4847ddb23119d2b9b198d8ec157

Looks awesome, Raz. Definitely reminds me of the old SNES title screens.

... when i say "inspiration", i mean "to steal".

As my Art History professor once said "There are two types of artists in this world: Bad artists, and Thieves." :)

As my Art History professor once said "There are two types of artists in this world: Bad artists, and Thieves." :)

Isn't that a quote that's usually attributed to Picasso?

It's entirely possible. I hardly paid much attention in that class. It's a wonder I even finished the course with a passing grade, actually...

Looks great, would maybe suggest giving the " n' " a similar treatment that "HACK" has, looks too rounded almost "serif-y" .

holy shit that's a wickid idea jezzanotabelle!! i'm gonna consider that near the end when i have time. it might be too much visually, but i like it.

Happy I could help! But I can understand it could clutter the logo too much, I just think it'd integrate the cord a bit better.

Also, I had no idea the forums edited swear words!

Too funny, Raz.

Another forum I used to frequent would autocorrect any swear word to PANCAKE, it was hilarious.

Too funny, Raz.

Another forum I used to frequent would autocorrect any swear word to PANCAKE, it was hilarious.

Haha Awesome. I knew one forum that would edit various swear words into a variety of words and phrases, though I dodn't remember what they are now.

You could coil the USB cable into an ampersand, creating "Hack & Slash" while still keeping all of the other graphic elements in tact.

Raz

Rather than "Hack n' Slash" - which strictly speaking should be "Hack 'n' Slash" since the "and" is missing both the "a" and the "d", why not use an ampersand?

You could coil the USB cable into the ampersand, creating "Hack & Slash" while still keeping all of the other graphic elements in tact.

which strictly speaking should be "Hack 'n' Slash" since the "and" is missing both the "a" and the "d"

This is an informal contraction, so there aren't really any formal rules governing its apostrophe usage.

A lot of times when people use "n" as a diminutive "and", they don't put any apostrophes at all. That's because another way of looking at the "apostrophe of omission" is as the "apostrophe of making sure the reader understands what the hell is going on". If you know that "n" means "and" with the help of only one apostrophe (or even no apostrophes!)---and you probably do, because it's a very conventional usage---then there is no problem. No need to stop the presses or reorder the tee shirts.

which strictly speaking should be "Hack 'n' Slash" since the "and" is missing both the "a" and the "d"

This is an informal contraction, so there aren't really any formal rules governing its apostrophe usage.

A lot of times when people use "n" as a diminutive "and", they don't put any apostrophes at all. That's because another way of looking at the "apostrophe of omission" is as the "apostrophe of making sure the reader understands what the hell is going on". If you know that "n" means "and" with the help of only one apostrophe (or even no apostrophes!)---and you probably do, because it's a very conventional usage---then there is no problem. No need to stop the presses or reorder the tee shirts.

Questions of spelling and grammar in branding aside (let's not even get into "Late Nite Pizzas" and "Krazy Kitchens") the ampersand is neater and provides scope for a cool visual element as well.

I do like the idea of the ampersand! Would want to see it first, though, of course.

Sign in to follow this