Sign in to follow this  
yuenkay

The Environment Day 3

Hi everybody!

Guess what, I did another screencast thing. Here it is: http://www.twitch.tv/doublefine/b/344237016 Start at about 2:20 Greg goes bug me at my desk and then I think I streamed for like almost an hour. Ha.

So today, first off I made some thorny bramble vines to up on the outside. Took about an hour or so. Vines are easy to make, after having to figure that out for the Brutal Legend jungle. If anybody is curious just ask, I'll elaborate. Then I did some stairs test, with some collisions just to see how things are. This is interesting too... because the stairs are good with the Pizza box Man, but then later in the afternoon, our proxy girl got in! Apparnetly she is a size negative 2 and PizzaBox man is like a size 20. So... yeah, this is why I don't like doing any actual traversal level work or anything before we have a character that's closer to what we want in the end. Now the stairs look way too big, but at least I think the elevation per step is still about right... Good to know we can narrow the stairway a bit.

I started working on the Tower Top while the girl was being put in (starting to run out of stuff to do before I have actual concepts for the tower). The screenshot you see here from the game. You can see me work on it during the screencast.

The plan is, a 2D painting of the tower top scene will be the start screen, which fades hopefully perfectly into the actual 3D scene. Before Shaowei can do a painting, I gotta mock that up, so she can then paint over the screenshot to add detail, change porportations, etc, and then I go back to model what she painted on... and then hopefully we are all happy with the 3D model in game, get a fixed game camera lock on where the scene would be, and then take a real screenshot, and then she can do the 2D painting for real over the final screenshot. Long run on sentence.

Enjoy the screenshots of the day, and have a nice weekend!

It's been awesome getting to watch you work the last couple of days. I picked up a couple of tricks that will come in handy in my own work. I really wish we could have seen you work on those vines because it would be extremely interesting to see how you tackle organic environment objects.

There was a point where you were rotating the tower around to get it oriented with your move tool. I know I've spent way too long rotating, checking, then rotating again just so I could move a face or vertex in the direction I wanted. It's good to see that is a somewhat common thing, or at least I'm not the only one that does it. I think if you had changed to move tools orientation setting to move based on the normal it would have gotten you the correct orientation.

That might be all the vines I do... Might be enough for the shots we need but I can take a few screens of the general process when I get back on Monday!

Ah yes I use move along normals too (I hate that Maya 2012 hid that option under move options) but that wouldn't have worked in that particular case because I'm trying to preserve the edge that joins with the othe dupe segments. I'm pretty sure if I move along normals on an edge vert it would go more sideways than radially along that segment joint edge. The result of Move along normals also might differ if the polygon isn't flat (the 4 verts' normals might not be actually ponting int the same direction of choice) compared to uniformly moving in world coordinates along an axis.

I use Move along Normals the most if I'm having lets say a shadow geometry for a character. I take the reduced version of the geo and shrink along normals, so your shadow geo is entirely inside your character (or whatever complex object) without it sticking out and causing weird dark spots.

You make shadow casting geo (esp in console games) because shadow casting of high poly things can really take up your GPU time. Nobody however usually cares if 50 verts are casting shadow for your sword onto the ground versus all 1000 of the actual visual detail.

That would be great to see some of the process on the vines, even just seeing the wire frame would be extremely informative. And I'll have to make a note of that shadow geometry trick for later. We never covered anything like that in school, and it seems like it would have been extremely helpful.

Thank you for being so active with community in these threads and especially on the live stream. It's really inspiring to see this whole process and makes me sure I made the right choice in the career path I'm starting down.

was pretty amazed watching the stream how often you were typing on the screen to say stuff to the audience. It seemed like we were taking a lot of time out of your working to explain what you were thinking, but it was amazing. It felt too nice I saw many times people asking for you to stop and just work. But you got so much done! And it was so informative. By the end everyone was just shocked you were able to do so much and then type some more so people knew what you were doing or thinking. So awesome! Hope it doesn't seem like extra work or anything like that

It's amazing how much all five teams seem to be getting done in just four days.

Correction, 3 days. AF started Wednesday. :D

Already looking promising.

I love the massive scale you're giving the foliage as well as the internal architecture.

I realize these are still very early shots, but has the aim changed from climbing a tree to climbing up to the tree?

I realize these are still very early shots, but has the aim changed from climbing a tree to climbing up to the tree?

I thought that was the original aim, climbing a tower with a mythical type tree at the top to escape from the forest surrounding the place.

I thought that was the original aim, climbing a tower with a mythical type tree at the top to escape from the forest surrounding the place.

I think that was the original aim. Don't know anything about climbing tree.

Jane looking the second picture you put up it seems like the scale is still kinda off. Or it that the scale you guys are shooting for?

Jane looking the second picture you put up it seems like the scale is still kinda off. Or it that the scale you guys are shooting for?

nope, everything is just thrown in. The girl is a lot smaller than the original proxy pizza guy so things are too big now.

Watching your parts on the stream is making me want to pick up Maya 2013 and get a feel for it. I think I will need it eventually for an upcoming class but not sure if I will get the program. Is it worth picking up the student edition to learn some of the mechanics before that class? I would also get 3DS Max in that edition and could use that for stuff in other classes now.

Watching your parts on the stream is making me want to pick up Maya 2013 and get a feel for it. I think I will need it eventually for an upcoming class but not sure if I will get the program. Is it worth picking up the student edition to learn some of the mechanics before that class? I would also get 3DS Max in that edition and could use that for stuff in other classes now.

As a student you should be able to get free 3 year licenses from all Autodesk software. You just need to create an account with them using a .edu email address. I would suggest getting a feel for the different 3d packages before you get into class. I had never really used any before going through school and I felt like I was playing catch up for the first couple of years.

I think that was the original aim. Don't know anything about climbing tree.

I guess I wildly misunderstood his pitch then.

I was going to post a mini explanation about the vines but I went to eat some mac and cheese instead. I haven't forgotten tho. Will do so maybe tomorrow.

Now that AF is over I can finally get to explain how I make quick vines. With pictures!

1) First, you draw gnarly curve (or a plain circle if you want) and close it, this is the profile curve basically.

2) Then you draw the path you want the extrusion to go along. It is easier to draw a crazy line on one plane first, like, just in teh Front View, and then add more interest by pulling with the controls after.

3) You then do Surfaces->Extrude. Fixed path on, and the key is to play with the Rotation, and the Scale. Rotation makes the gnarly profile to twist along the path and gives you a nice organic feel without any work. Scale to something like 0.3 so the gnarly vine gets naturally smaller near the ends.

4) After you have the surfaces, you should play with the control points/add knots/add isoparms to make the vines the shape you really want in general. Fix any weird twisted angles. I like to add more elbows in the vines, parts that actually get slightly knotty and bigger right before a turn.

5) Convert to polygons to the level you want. Make a couple of simple thorns (that are well UVed) and just duplicate and snap to verts.

6) You will find that this method gives you a clean UVs to start with. If your texture has some vertical striping, it will really show off the twistedness of the geometry, which is nice for gnarly things.

7) Start simple, just do one vine at a time. It is likely you can just reuse the same curves and just adjust for any other intertwisted goodness.

8) It is also really easy for you to adjust your tesselation / make lower res LODs with your source curve/surfaces.

Vines1.jpg

Vines2.jpg

Vines3.jpg

Vines1.jpg.93316ed39337873579032efc5e048

Vines2.jpg.0c828999aa45593d4b1dcd4bf0d94

Vines3.jpg.fd7604f4e5c2c57da67df7f415311

Sign in to follow this