Sign in to follow this  
DF Levi

Black Lake Art

I'm going to start moving Team Black Lake art posts to this new thread. It can Also be a place to share your own art inspired by the ideas in the prototype. Sharing art is the BEST! Especially if its Papier-mâché or Knitting! Here's a fox model sheet to kick this off!...

FoxOrtho.jpg

Just thinking with the mention of the nine-tailed fox in the creature thread, it would be interesting to see within the dreams that the hunter girl morphing into a fox to solve parts of the puzzle or something.

I freaking love that fox girl art style!

That's the kind of thing that gets me initially excited about a game, a great art style to set the mood. Those colors! I love the vibrant feather, and the teel/turquoise garments. Very cool character.

Yep, that's pretty awesome. :)

I can't wait to see this character modeled and animated. I hope we will have the chance to see it happen. :)

Environment studies by Emily Johnstone. Emily has been working on forest plant and rock look design. Here she is painting some into a piece that shows how they work together, how the little plants like clustering n stuff. Emily is Awesome, she also plays the intern in the Double Fine Adventure TV program.

mossover2.jpg

mossovervines.jpg

Day2.jpg

I love the artstyle! Really glad to see that this game made the cut.

Is the fox some sort of companion character or is he just a random forest animal?

BEAUTIFUL.... she's got a Native American influence... complete with a DOUBLE FINE scarf!!!!!!!!

LOVE THE FOX! <3 ...and the trees... BREATHTAKING STUFF! Can't wait for BLACK LAKE!

I don't know what that evil dear is in episode 2 but I can't wait for it to become nightmare fuel when I get to play BL next week!

Gotta Admit I wasn't too psyched for this game, or White Birch, cause these concepts so easily become pretentious self indulgent messes. But this artwork has definitely made me more interested, it's got this light hearted playful and adventurous feeling and I'm quite liking it so far.

Gotta Admit I wasn't too psyched for this game, or White Birch, cause these concepts so easily become pretentious self indulgent messes. But this artwork has definitely made me more interested, it's got this light hearted playful and adventurous feeling and I'm quite liking it so far.

Same here. I didn't vote for this game, but the art and the enthusiastic fans make this the most exciting game to follow :D

Beautiful artwork! Everybody loves foxes! :)

I really dig the misty atmosphere- it builds suspense and makes you a bit wary of what's out there.

Can we get hi-res versions of some of that art? I love that character! Maybe a black lake wallpaper? O:

For sure. Maybe after AF is done :)

The art continues to look great! I'd happily throw down money just for these drawings, let alone the game!

The fox kinda reminds me of that dog from The Thing when it bursts open and the alien's tentacles push out from within, haha. Only those vines/legs are more natural(I guess?). You should steal some of Jane's vines from the white birch for the forest. :P That spider looks great as well, if it made it into the prototype it should rip down a tree at some point just to show off it's power. Lovin' it, lovin' it, it all looks great!

We seriously need an The Art of Black Lake by Levi Ryken (with additional art by Emily Johnstone and Allison Thomas).

Even just a PDF file. Suere it lives in the forums... but I wonder if there's a way to get some of this stuff in a higher resolution for backgrounds.

Bramble Fox would make a great wallpaper. Is this something that would be request-able or would that be overstepping boundaries?

We seriously need an The Art of Black Lake by Levi Ryken (with additional art by Emily Johnstone and Allison Thomas).

Even just a PDF file. Suere it lives in the forums... but I wonder if there's a way to get some of this stuff in a higher resolution for backgrounds.

Bramble Fox would make a great wallpaper. Is this something that would be request-able or would that be overstepping boundaries?

+1

The Black Lake art has impressed me greatly. Especially how well it seems to have translated into a 3D environment in such a short space of time. Kudos to the entire team for this achievment!

I'd also like to see some more of Allison's concept art - what little I've seen looked great and I wonder if there is more where that came from.

Since you requested more of my contributions, here's my concepts for lanterns, foxes, and brambles.

brambles all.jpg

fox 1.jpg

lants tiny.jpg

578d002b5bd2e_bramblesall.jpg.69854086b4

578d002b6180e_fox1.jpg.51deff124b0e80c03

578d002b67262_lantstiny.jpg.8f9bc50f8833

Since you requested more of my contributions, here's my concepts for lanterns, foxes, and brambles.

No! Bad lamps! Those are room-illuminating lamps, not showing you where you're going lamps!

You want a lamp like one of these!

:)

No! Bad lamps! Those are room-illuminating lamps, not showing you where you're going lamps!

I find your knowledge of lamps... illuminating.

Railway lamps are cool! That said, they would probably be better suited to an outright horror story where the beam of light is concentrated to a specific point while the rest is inky blackness. It would be akin to having the player use a flashlight. Room-illuminating lamps do contribute more to a general moody scene in a 3rd person perspective with a small ball of light surrounding the character, while creepy shapes move in the hazy mist.

Railway lamps are cool! That said, they would probably be better suited to an outright horror story where the beam of light is concentrated to a specific point while the rest is inky blackness. It would be akin to having the player use a flashlight. Room-illuminating lamps do contribute more to a general moody scene in a 3rd person perspective with a small ball of light surrounding the character, while creepy shapes move in the hazy mist.

I think spacebug is making a technical point about how human eyes react to light. A railway lamp points only straight ahead, allowing you to see whatever the light shines on. A room-illuminating lamp shines in 360 degrees, which means it shines light back into the eyes of the person holding the lamp. With a light source that close to the eyes, the pupils contract and the darker, more farther away things become harder to see rather than easier to see. It's the same reason in movies that bad guys will shine lights into people's eyes while interrogating them: it makes it hard/impossible for the person to see their faces.

With a light right next to your face and shining into your eyes, you don't tend to see like this:

http://www.kwastronomy.com/images/McAllister.jpg

Instead, you just tend to see like this:

http://www.eauk.org/culture/friday-night-theology/images/Light_shining1.JPG

I personally think it's a technical point and doesn't much matter in a fantasy game, although it is true.

You don't like my lanterns?

1112154_o.gif

Sign in to follow this