Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Lee

Automaton Dialog

Automaton Dialog

First pass automaton dialog. They say short phrases a small percent of the time when they process a particular input. Each head has a subtle personality, and its own responses. They tend to just state things, with little judgement involved. I’ve made a lot of really terrible nerdy jokes in there, so hopefully their awkward speech comes off as funny.

Camden is cooking up some awesome different robotic voices for each head!

I notice that you don't have any columns for activation, deactivation, destruction, or the player mounting the bot for a ride.

I think that the activation/destruction prompts would help with player situational awareness in a hectic environment by providing sound cues that are more noticeable than simple sound effects. I imagine scenarios where the player can't look to see if a bot has been destroyed or if the bot they just tried to set up in a hurry before quickly running away has come online. Similar to how units announce themselves in StarCraft when they spawn or die.

They rest of the situations I listed are just funny. Like when the player pulls the robot's cartridge (deactivating it) and the robot says in dying robot voice, "Jonney 5 is AAAALLLLIIIIIVVVEEE ... *squelch*" Or, "Come with me if you want to survive the current situation." when you jump on their back.

I notice that you don't have any columns for activation, deactivation, destruction, or the player mounting the bot for a ride.

I think that the activation/destruction prompts would help with player situational awareness in a hectic environment by providing sound cues that are more noticeable than simple sound effects...

Activation noise - would be awesome to have console startup sounds for each bot (Dreamcast, PS2, N64, even Windows 3-8 boot sounds etc? But impossible. copyrights ... or just 2-3 seconds of a popular sci-fi movie scene. But again - copyright/royalties.

I love the 'personalization' of each robot, giving them a distinct character. Adds to flavor and player engagement. And it's funny too.

Thanks for the comments. Keep them coming!

I didn't want to mention that this is not a sound effects document. We will definitely have sound effects for activation,deactivation, etc.

I love the 'personalization' of each robot, giving them a distinct character. Adds to flavor and player engagement. And it's funny too.
I didn't want to mention that this is not a sound effects document. We will definitely have sound effects for activation,deactivation, etc.

I would suggest that perhaps these are situations that would be better served by dialog in addition to (or instead of) sound effects. Not only do they allow for more opportunities for characterization, it adds a personal touch to those times when the player is directly interacting with the bots. If they react directly to the player with a note of dialog (rather than, say a power-down sound), I imagine it would allow the player a greater ability to project personality onto the bots which in turn would allow them to empathize and form attachments to particular robots.

I vote for the voices to sound 100% human. Play on the idea that you're playing something that is pre recorded.

Can you please at least test what it feels like with an automaton with regular Brad Muir's voice compared to the robot version? Just to see which one makes you laugh more? You know whats going to happen :D

or if you're totally set on robot voices why record them at all, why not go microsoft sam, or like the macintosh (did that voice have a name?)

TRON came out in the 70's right?

Also I think there should be modding so we can add our own robot voices.

Tron came out in 1982 actually - it's definitely an 80's thing.

This very bad "ripoff-territory" show came out a year later too, ha:

It's kind of a neat idea - but holy crap, the acting is probably the corniest I've seen in anything. The special effects are neat.

Also while on the subject of Robot voices:

Soundwave is pretty much *the* "80's robot voice" for me.

Also while on the subject of Robot voices:

Soundwave is pretty much *the* "80's robot voice" for me.

You should hear him in the Cybertron games. It's amazing.

That 2pp Day 5 episode showing Brad doing some voice recording with Camden is absolute gold!

I agree. I'm already a huge fan of Brooklynbot.

I loved hearing the before and after voice bits (original vs processed), as well as the aforementioned Brooklynbot, naturally. I'm a big fan of Tron 2.0, so Autonomous is sounding freakin' marvellous to me.

This very bad "ripoff-territory" show came out a year later too, ha:

It's kind of a neat idea - but holy crap, the acting is probably the corniest I've seen in anything. The special effects are neat.

Hey, I used to watch Automan on TV as a kid! I thought it was awesome. Granted, it was the early 80s, and I was maybe 3 or 4 years old so my quality control facilities were not completely on-line yet.

I remember an advertisment in the computer magazine "Your Computer" for an upcoming Automan game (we're talking the legendary ZX Spectrum 48k here, folks!). Sadly, it was not to be ...... until AUTONOMOUS revived the graphic style!

Sign in to follow this