Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Lee

Environment Paint Overs

So today I did some "Paint Overs" on our really early world. Paint-overs is a term we use when we take a screen shot and do quick digital painting on top of it, to show the desired effect. Its a really direct and quick way to give feedback.

Below you can see a few of them that I did today, as well as some notes on one of them outlining the major points. The focus was mainly on color composition and clarity more than detail and design (which is why it is so loose!).

Raw capture:

StreetLevel_Current.jpg

Paint Over:

StreetLevel_PaintOver.jpg

Notes:

StreetLevel_Notes.jpg

Raw capture 2:

VistaView_Current.jpg

Paint Over 2:

VistaView.jpg

In the notes section I noticed the following text:

RESERVE RED/PINK FOR ENERGY THE PLAYER HASN'T YET CAPTURED (AND ENEMY AUTOMATONS)

I was wondering why you need a visual clue for enemy automatons. For the descriptions I've seen of this game it seems like there would only be two types of automatons: ones the player constructed and ones that the player didn't construct. Neither one would seem to be any more friendly or angry toward the player than the other. Is there some sort of bias in their behavior against the player that enemy automatons have that others don't? Or, is it simply to mark the automatons the player hasn't programmed? And if so, why?

In the notes section I noticed the following text:
RESERVE RED/PINK FOR ENERGY THE PLAYER HASN'T YET CAPTURED (AND ENEMY AUTOMATONS)

I was wondering why you need a visual clue for enemy automatons. For the descriptions I've seen of this game it seems like there would only be two types of automatons: ones the player constructed and ones that the player didn't construct. Neither one would seem to be any more friendly or angry toward the player than the other. Is there some sort of bias in their behavior against the player that enemy automatons have that others don't? Or, is it simply to mark the automatons the player hasn't programmed? And if so, why?

The primary reason is that for the demo the goal is to "covnert" all energy. Converting energy basically means that the player has to "absorbed it" at some point (afterwhich they can use it to build automatons, etc). Pre-existing automatons contain energy that the player hasn't absorbed. Having that be obvious for the demo is probably a good thing, given our limited time to refine UI, etc.

Note, that this mode is one of MANY possible modes if there were an actual product, but its one that we think we can implement on 2 weeks and touches on most of the mechanics.

Glad you mentioned the junkpiles. Right now it looks a bit more factory than junkyard.

That is true! But also its worth mentioning that I didn't want to create an *actual* junkyard. Junk yard was short hand. I'm interested in something that has junk yard qualities, but also perhaps a post-catostrophe city grid like structure too.

Glad you mentioned the junkpiles. Right now it looks a bit more factory than junkyard.

That is true! But also its worth mentioning that I didn't want to create an *actual* junkyard. Junk yard was short hand. I'm interested in something that has junk yard qualities, but also perhaps a post-catostrophe city grid like structure too.

That seems fair, though I did like the prospect of mixing the kind of clean geometry stuff you have going with the more disorderly idea of junk, so I'm excited to see more of it.

Junk yard was short hand. I'm interested in something that has junk yard qualities, but also perhaps a post-catostrophe city grid like structure too.

Probably owing to the exterior shots in 1986's Aliens, whenever I see futuristic angular structures I picture diagonal rain. There is something nice about seeing glowing lights through the rain and then suddenly being able to make out the sharp angular structure as you get closer.

The setting shown in these paint overs reminds me a short story I read once. I can't remember the author (Asimov perhaps?) but the story was about a civilization so technology advanced that they were able to build machines that built machines. The problem was that the initial generation of machines wasn't perfect and the flaws present in their design were passed on and magnified with each new generation of technology. Over time the people of the civilization became so reliant on technology that by the time the systemic problems in the machines became overwhelming the people had lost the ability to fix or create the technology they depended on and thus the civilization perished. The machines weren't actively trying to wipe out the civilization they were just buggy.

The derelict yet still powered futuristic setting of Autonomous makes me wonder what happened to the machines in the story after the people died out. I imagine they went on creating generation after generation of flawed machines. Machines that are capable in some respects but increasingly limited in others. And that's how I imagine the adversaries in Autonomous, not evil, just faulty.

Sign in to follow this