Sign in to follow this  
CaptainRedHook

Fourth class, anyone?

Right now there's obviously just the 3 classes (Stalwart, Waracle, Beerzerker), and they all look amazing, but the fact that it's intended to be a 1-4 person co-op game suggests pretty strongly at least a fourth class. At least, I hope so; it'd be weird to have every full party contain at least one repeat by necessity.

What would y'all like to see in a 4th class, should they add one?

Going on the cool, slightly unorthodox classes (the Waracle in particular), I'd like to see a class that's a take on a grenadier (mid-range area-effect weaponry) with a focus on concussive attacks - I think it'd be a fun twist to have one party member draw the monster's attention, using mid-air concussions and glaring fireworks and such, so that the other party members can regroup, heal, plan their attack approach, etc. It'd still be a decent damage dealing class, like the others, but with that kind of alternative play it could be cool and different.

(couldn't say what the Harryhausen style would be for the character, but I'm sure one could think of something).

Anyway, that's my stab at it. Any ideas, people?

Maybe working something like the Monster Hunter hunting horn into the mix. Adding a semi-support class that plays a conch shell to rally the team, or buff their defences etc. Done in a very quick Guitar Hero style game. :D The downside is that is gradually draws attention from the monster, so the more you use it the more chance of the monster getting angry and charging right at you.

I have it on good authority that there are plans for five classes in total, but no details on the other two at the moment.

I like the idea of a distraction class. Fireworks, maybe blinding powder. The bull fighter of the group.

The bull fighter of the group.

Hmm, a Bull Fighter character is an interesting idea on it's own.

The downside is that is gradually draws attention from the monster, so the more you use it the more chance of the monster getting angry and charging right at you.

Perhaps that's the point! Following the bull-fighter theme, how about a full-blown "taunt" mechanic? I would think that this "crowd working" level of audacious behavior (like television wrestling) fits right into the concept of the game.

'cause the character is acting brazen.

See?

MrMooEar you read it here first. Bull Fighter/Lucha Libre style character. A "special thanks" mention in the credits is all I ask :P

Some great suggestions. I had one idea during the AF stream - a Greek 'battle philosopher' who looks like a Greek scholar and whose moves revolve around buffing allies with composed arguments, and who fights by swinging a heavy Greek column. Functionally a sort of battle Mage and whose mechanics shine when assisting allies.

In a full game I would hope to see a good variety of different characters to play as. Some other ancient world cultures represented would be cool - especially if some of the things you fight in the game include myths from outside Greece, such as Egypt.

These suggestions are awesome you guys! :D! I love reading stuff that sounds like it would fit right into the game that I want to make - it really makes me feel like people are "getting it." :D!

Before adding new ones, the existing classes need some tweaks though.

1) Stalwart's shield cheat needs to be fixed. Easy fix... while keeping it's function:

Blocking can drain his stamina, minimum stamina to block.

Then, remove his health potions. He'll still kick butt, while having to actually be strategic.

2) Leave the Waracle with her health potions. Generally, Waracle if fine.

3) Remove the Beerzerker's potions, and add an effect to Over drinking which heals him some.

Less convenient than potions, more in character. Gives him a strategic decision when to remove himself from the fray.

As far as the new guys go; 5 is a great number. I really like the bullfighter concept.

What about the old learned wizard hermit type character? Can maybe 'cast' Illusions to distract the beasts, or Shields to protect others. Some call him... Tim?

Guess I'll share my thoughts on the game-design of the existing classes as well:

I think Stalwart is a great basic character for the prototype's scope. He does have a very simple strategy of blocking and chipping away the health with that safe blocking-attack. It does the job, but is boring enough to make you take some risks once you feel more confident. Once you do he has quite some interesting aspects to discover. That gives the character probably the best learning-curve of the three. My two issues with him are that his first attack in the chain tends to miss due to the low hitbox and the Gorgoth's 'small hitstun' being really short (if it is supposed to be positive for the player it should be longer).

The Beerzerker is also a solid character, just one with quite a steep learning-curve. Even for the basics he requires some unterstanding of both his options and the monster's behavior. The concept here seems to be a character that at a higher level can keep attacking, but has to manage all offense, evasion and positioning flawlessly at the same time. Also in his final version I hope that beer-sliding-bug becomes a feature. Maybe if he starts drinking with a directional input held, he drinks while running but can't change direction without canceling the skill.

The Waracle feels hollow to me (as if there wasn't time for her after the others got shaped). From my time with her it looked like she has a basic strategy that happens to also be her best option at the same time (though I might be wrong, need to try the spear-charge properly). One thing I'd like to see for her would be some periodical task that makes her move inside the monster's reach. Since there's so much talk about her spirituality, how about she builds shrines that have some local effect (buffs to allies; some effect to the monster if it is in reach long enough) and need to be reactivated now and then? Obviously this is way out of scope for the prototype. But also in the prototype there is space to make her more interesting to play. The axe-(charge-)shot could have flight-time-dependent damage (it's spinning and works better with the sharp side towards the monster). Let's say during the first unit of distance it does 50% damage, next 1.5 units full damage and bleeding, remaining flight 25% damage. So for this weapon you'd have to keep the right distance at all times. The mace-shot could have a sweet-spot-charge-timing. Example: Make it do 25% of the normal stun after 60 frames of charge, 50% after 90 frames, 100% after 110 frames and 0% before 60 or after 120 frames. This way you have to sync aiming and charging in a window of 10 frames to get the most out of the weapon.

From the ideas for new characters I really like the 'battle philosopher'-concept (somewhat reminds me of Samurai Shodown's Wan-Fu though). But since he already has a column, shouldn't he be columnist? Writing up fighting techniques just as he learns about them in battle, aiming to make his column a mighty pillar every fighting school to follow is built upon. Just letting my imagination run wild:

- He could be the only character from the bunch that can lose his weapon (dropping it on hit or leaving it somewhere as part of a skill). That would leave him with the Beerzerker's speed but hardly any offensive.

- He has a FIFO-Queue for up to 7 'thoughts'. Most of his attacks leave him in a thinking pose that can be held to produce one of multiple thoughts (depending on pose and duration). Also unarmed state should have an unique thinking pose. Getting hit should also drop a few of the oldest thoughts.

- If the column is set up (leaving him unarmed) he can write upon it. The player selects three or four thoughts to be written down in one of multiple slots on the column. The writing would then have an effect depending on the used thoughts, unlocking attacks or buffing allies close to the column.

Ideally the setup would make you have to improvise depending on what you happen to have in your queue, since you can't always pick what attacks you can use or how far you can charge a pose. Going for specific sets is risky, since undercharging a pose or getting hit might make you lose the thoughts you have already prepared. Allowing to place the column as support-beacon sounds interesting, but he would need to have something to do without it. Makes me all sketchy timey, just give me a few minutes. (cue drawing montage) Here we go.

columnist_small.png

columnist_small.png.8d94372f065f35e906e3

Heh, thanks for the sketch of my idea. :)

We should really have a creature thread too I think. The monsters will be the big amusement park attractions of the whole experience and stuffs after all.

Sign in to follow this