Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Acefox

2PP AF Daily Videos

Just finished watching Episode 1 - Day 2 (the second video) of the daily 2PP AF videos and OMG- they are absolutely great! So many feels!

First off- outstanding job to 2PP with making them- they really offer a special inside look into the making of a video game.

Second- I am getting super excited about all five of the AF prototypes! In fact, I have already committed to buying them all when they're released! Well, I had already decided that before, but now I'm also incredibly anxious about playing them! Had no idea that Space Base was going to be a sandbox game! Ahh- I am totally all over that! Oh, and Bagel's character art for it rocks! And the more I hear about Autonomous and Hack n' Slash the more psyched I'm getting! And I was already totally stoked about Black Lake and White Birch! Hey, I just noticed that both of those games are like the yin and yang of the color spectrum..and and.. OMG! You guys have a Mame arcade machine! That is like totally what every retro arcade fan wishes for!

*fangasm*

i dont really think that you should expect all of them to be picked for production. you do prototypes to see whether a project is viable and therefore its useful to hedge your bets. i suppose that 2-3 games can make it since a) cave is pretty much done b) in preproduction you dont need all that many people and after DFA is done (already in full production for quite a few months) people can move from that to one of the greenlit prototypes. still, it depends on the size of the project.

I'm sure if all five showed huge potential and were able to secure funding they would find a way to develop all five.

Maybe not likely, but certainly possible (I'd buy all five day one if that helps?!)

EDIT: Just wanted to add, as this a 2PP video thread, the work you guys are doing to get these out, to this quality, so quickly is nothing short of amazing. Keep up the great work!

DF has a limited amount of ppl. dont forget that theres brazen as well as DFA (at least for some time). since, if i remember correctly, there are 60 ppl working at double fine altogether (including IT etc?), they already have a considerable number of employees working on a project. so lets be generous and assume that they still have 30 ppl to work on a project full-time. i dont know how theyd be able to split that into 5 projects efficiently. but im neither tim nor greg. its just a speculation on my part.

(...) but im neither tim nor greg. (...)

I would like to point out that you are also not DF Allison. Or are you..? Wait a minute...

Quick! Say "Strč prst skrz krk"!

I absolutely love the AF Daily Videos. I think they're even better than the documentary. This is exactly what I wanted to see - people at work! Not just talking about stuff from the side, in perspective. But in the moment - creative and awesome! It's really great to see how those guys'n'gals get around to doing all those specific things. See their ideas take shape, see how individual team members contibute using their strengths and talents.

Those daily videos alone are worth every penny I contributed to DFA and Humble. Great job guys!

I must say, I love the DFA documentary, but this series provides an excellent complement to it. Whearas the DFA offers more human and creative look into the side of game development, the AF videos offer a more nuts and bolts and day to day of game production (albeit in surreal high morale crunch situation).

Is it just me or is it no longer possible to stream each day's videos on the Humble Bundle page, only the most recent one? I'd rather not have to download them individually...

And I was already totally stoked about Black Lake and White Birch! Hey, I just noticed that both of those games are like the yin and yang of the color spectrum

Yeah, if those prototypes pan out they should totally release them together :D

I just caught up on all the AF Videos (up to Episode 4 which is the fifth one), and man- they're all great! The music and sound for all of the games so far sound top notch! Man, I really hope all of them get the green light.

Not sure if each video contains only a single day of AF, but if so- today's video indicated it was Monday so I'm guessing the other videos break down as follows:

Day 0 - Video 0 - Episode 0 = Thursday, 2012-11-29

Day 1 - Video 1 - Episode 1 = Friday, 2012-11-30

Day 2 - Video 2 - Episode 2 = Saturday, 2012-12-01

Day 3 - Video 3 - Episode 3 = Sunday, 2012-12-02

Day 4 - Video 4 - Episode 4 = Monday, 2012-12-03

So now you know the place and time of what you were doing while the awesome guys at DF were making their magic! I can't believe there are going to be like 14-15 episodes of this! This is really a huge bonus to the DFA videos- very smart of DF to get 2PP to do this as a side project while they have them.

Is it just me or is it no longer possible to stream each day's videos on the Humble Bundle page, only the most recent one? I'd rather not have to download them individually...

I think it depends on what web browser you are using. On Mac Safari - it just streams as expected. When I use Chrome, it downloads by default. I haven't tried IE myself yet.

This is how I think it breaks down:

Day 0 - Tuesday 27th November

Day 1 - Wednesday 28th November

Day 2 - Thursday 29th November

Day 3 - Friday 30th November

Day 4 - Monday 3rd December

Agreed. We don't have much bandwidth in New Zealand...

Does anyone know if these videos are going on DVD? I think they're going to put the DFA stuff on DVD and Blu-Ray, but what about these AF videos? I'd love to see that.

I'm with several other people here, wondering if it's possible to get the streams back for the previous episodes. I missed episode 4 and now the "posted" episode is the new one. It'd take several hours to download the episode on my connection (HD video I presume) so I'm hoping there's a way to stream the previous episodes again?

Anyone know where we could download the music 2PP uses for their documentary? Especially the one they use at the end of the amnesia fortnight daily episodes, it's great!

For everyone who is trying to stream the previous 2PP AF videos as opposed to having them download: IE and Safari will automatically stream whereas Chrome will download. Haven't tried through Firefox.

But if you can't use those web browsers the following trick should also work:

1. Go to your Humble Bundle AF order page

2. Right click on the video link for the video you want to stream and Copy the URL

3. Paste the new URL into either Windows Media Player or QuickTime - it should stream the content instead of trying to download it.

At least I was able to get it to stream fine this way.

Would also be nice if we could get someone to clarify when AF officially began. I was under the impression that Friday Dec-14 would be the last day of the AF.

Day 5 had me cracking up, so many great moments.

And ending with Brad doing Jersey robot voice overs, hilarious. Thanks for the laughs!

Acefox, I think if you stream it that way, you are still going to end up downloading the entire HD file. But you won't be able to keep it.

I'm wondering why the latest episode (day 6) is over 2 GB in size when the previous episodes are all less than 1 GB at most.

The next biggest was episode 1 at just under 1 GB and that's nearly 28 minutes long, also the second longest episode (day 3's with nearly 29 minutes) is a little under 900 MB. I'm guessing that it's just not as compressed as previous episodes.

Hey I'm trying to find the downloadable versions of day 7 and 8. I see day 8 2pp video streaming on the offline stream, but I can't download it.

These episodes are awesome, and oh my god the pace. They are releasing them just a couple of days after shooting.

Plus, I love how most of the sentences in the episodes begin with "Yeah." So, Yeah. :)

Keep up with the good work (and with the good questions), 2pp. I'm so happy I backed DFA and this Humble Bundle, you guys already "refunded" me with documentaries I value 100 times worth the money I spent.

These videos are in many ways what I hoped the DFA documentary would be (I dig the documentary but its pacing is very different obviously) - a direct look into how people make games. And there are so many likable people at DF, it's such a joy to watch everything come together for them.

Sign in to follow this