Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Acefox

2PP AF Daily Videos

These videos are in many ways what I hoped the DFA documentary would be (I dig the documentary but its pacing is very different obviously) - a direct look into how people make games. And there are so many likable people at DF, it's such a joy to watch everything come together for them.

I agree with you. I really like how they've captured so many conversations/meetings between team members in the AF documentary, I feel like I know all these people who work at DF alot better than I did before I started watching the documentary. The DFA documentary wasn't really doing that for me.

And also, in the DFA documentary I feel that 2PP focus slightly too much on the conceptional and art design side of game development. And they don't focus enough on the nitty-gritty stuff, like the actual programming of the game. But maybe that will change as development of the game progresses?

MrjF4.jpg

Levi Nicholson was way too scary, so I had to silly him up with some Penguin accoutrements.

Dear god... does anyone have links to less insanely huge copies of these? They take for EVER to download for me, mch longer than they take to view, and it's just really, really annoying.

+1 for having difficulty viewing the 2PP daily videos. Was about to sit down for an evening viewing session but had to abort because it got too hard.

For me in Chrome, the HumbleBundle page has (currently) 6 videos downloadable, and episode six in an embedded flash player which looks like it's streaming through Vimeo. For the other 5, Chrome just wants to download the whole thing.

I too am in New Zealand with a crappily restrictive download cap so would like to watch these but not chew up too much bandwidth. I'd expect that if I leave the player embedded in the browser, i.e. not in fullscreen mode, and watch the entire episode, that Vimeo will send less data than if I fullscreen it. Although, I'm not positive on that and willing to be corrected.

Does anyone have links to where we can see them all in an embedded player?

Michael

P.S. I think the documentaries are fantastic, big thanks to all involved. That's why I'm so eager to be able to watch them!

The best way to do that would probably be via the stream. In the off hours of the live stream they've been streaming the videos 2PP have made so far.

Use this saved stream: http://www.twitch.tv/doublefine/b/346170973

It has the current 7 episodes (0-6) on a loop at a lower quality but still viewable. Current combined length of videos is 2 hours and 52 minutes ish. Handily there is a time counter in the bottom right corner so if you need to skip and episode you can see how far you need to go.

And also, in the DFA documentary I feel that 2PP focus slightly too much on the conceptional and art design side of game development. And they don't focus enough on the nitty-gritty stuff, like the actual programming of the game. But maybe that will change as development of the game progresses?

I think that has a lot to do with how much they are prepared to spoil in the prototypes vs. DFA. All the particulars in the DFA documents are blurred out or not talked about, because they want people to be able to enjoy the games puzzles and everything. And to be surprised. That makes the videos less exciting than the Amnesa Fortnight ones, but I see why they decided to go that way.

The videos of the prototypes are truer to the "We will show you how the sausage is made, warts and all". So, it's great they got this going, this is way better suited for that kind of thing.

It does make me want a spoilery cut of the DFA documentary after the game is out. Though that might be pretty hard to do afterwards.

I'm having trouble downloading the videos as well. I've tried twice now to download episode 3 and I've gotten download fail. :/

It has the current 7 episodes (0-6) on a loop at a lower quality but still viewable. Current combined length of videos is 2 hours and 52 minutes ish. Handily there is a time counter in the bottom right corner so if you need to skip and episode you can see how far you need to go.

Thanks for the suggestion. It took me a while to figure out what you meant, and how that time counter works. I've had another attempt but had difficulty skipping to the right point in that stream corresponding with the episode I want to watch. It may be my geographic location, it's quite laggy when I skip back and forth, then sometimes the audio disappears or gets out of sync.

I might try again later - but in the meantime if anyone figures out how to make these episodes stream easily in lower quality please let me know!

Thanks,

Michael

This is how I think it breaks down:

Day 0 - Tuesday 27th November

Day 1 - Wednesday 28th November

Day 2 - Thursday 29th November

Day 3 - Friday 30th November

Day 4 - Monday 3rd December

I believe you are correct, CB. I think they announced the finalists on Tue Nov 27th so I guess that was Day 0 and the first official day was Wed Nov 28th. There's footage from the first weekend in Episode 3, and assuming they do something similar for this past Friday Dec 7th- I'm guessing there will be a total of about 11 videos:

Available

Day 0 - Episode 0 = Tuesday, 2012-11-27

Day 1 - Episode 1 = Wednesday, 2012-11-28

Day 2 - Episode 2 = Thursday, 2012-11-29

Day 3 - Episode 3 = Weekend Fri-Sun, 2012-11-30 - 12-02

Day 4 - Episode 4 = Monday, 2012-12-03

Day 5 - Episode 5 = Tuesday, 2012-12-04

Day 6 - Episode 6 = Wednesday, 2012-12-05

Expected

Day 7 - Episode 7 = Thursday, 2012-12-06

Day 8 - Episode 8 = Weekend Fri-Sun, 2012-12-07 - 12-09

Day 9 - Episode 9 = Monday, 2012-12-10

Day 10 - Episode 10 = Tuesday, 2012-12-11

For those that can't stream the 2PP HD videos, you can watch the recorded live streams that Greg Rice put together here: http://www.twitch.tv/doublefine/videos?kind=past_broadcasts

I'm watching the day 7 episode now and the interview with Tim at the beginning is hysterical! Levi is now my favorite project lead on this AF.

Latest episode was the best one so far. Really enjoyed hearing Dave talk about ICO, one of my favorite games.

Yeah I was so stoked to see even professional animators are as impressed as I am by Ico! Love how well they managed to convey the personalities of Ico and Yorda through the animations. Simply climbing a ladder gives you lots of insight about their characters. Ico looks like he is gonna tear the ladder off the wall, while Yorda takes extremely slow and careful steps, making sure both her feet are level before she keeps going.

I'd love to see more Double Fine people playing games they like and comment on stuff, really interesting to hear what actual awesome devs take notice of. Or even just do some commentary of their own games, what parts they are happy with and what they'd like to change etc.

The best way to do that would probably be via the stream. In the off hours of the live stream they've been streaming the videos 2PP have made so far.

I managed to watch episode 1 using this method, now I want to watch episode 2 and am having difficulty "scrubbing" through the video to the point I want. Basically, I was able to do this earlier, but now I get no slider to skip back and forth so I'm not able to go to the episode I want.

It kinda makes sense - I clicked "Watch Live" to access the 2PP videos that are streamed during the off hours. If this were "live" then you wouldn't normally expect to be able to skip forwards. The weird thing is, I have done this before. I don't know if the website is erratic or I'm just looking in the wrong place.

Standard definition version would be very welcome, otherwise I suppose I'll just have to gut my monthly download cap and leave the browser downloading the files for a couple of hours then come back and watch them.

Michael

Finished watching the videos (up to Episode 10) and I can't express how awesome this series has been. It's truly a must-see for anyone out there interested in getting into the gaming industry. So much talent and so much unique perspective presented. And all of it done when they are put to the toughest yet most fun challenge at Double Fine - the two week creative jam that is Amnesia Fortnight. Hope everyone gets a chance to see these videos.

(One correction though for Episode 9 - Psychonauts was released in 2005 not 1995)

Latest episode was the best one so far. Really enjoyed hearing Dave talk about ICO, one of my favorite games.

Someday I'll get him to pronounce it correctly ("ee-ko, Dave, ee-ko").

P.S. It's seriously my second favorite game ever made, so!

So, it looks like they uploaded videos 9 + 10 simultaneously? (I was up refreshing last night, and it only went up to episode 8, this morning 9 and 10 are up). And because of the weird "only stream the newest episode" setup, I have to spend 3 hours downloading a HQ version of a 30-minute video just to see episode 9, since there's no streaming option. I know, first-world problems, but it's kind of an irritating, non-user-friendly setup they have here.

IIRC I saw somewhere in these forums a link to the exact spot in the right twitch video where it was shown. Also, you can stream it using some media players, I think VLC can do it, if you don't want to download, though that is still full sized.

Paraclete-pizza: I had the same problem so I figured I was going to have to skip episode 9 so I just watched 10 instead. Then I got lucky because I went over to the Twitch TV stream and lo and behold, episode 9 was only 30 seconds in to playing on the "live" stream so I got to watch it anyway.

I still haven't seen episode 5 though...

(One correction though for Episode 9 - Psychonauts was released in 2005 not 1995)

Heh, that was actually just an unfortunate typo. The text and subtitles are the last things we ad before uploading the episodes and, by that time, I hadn't really slept in about 36 hours. Blame it on exhaustion.

Those were excellent! Fantastic quality considering the schedule.

Will there be any final episode after number 10? Wrap up of the daily wrap-ups, or something.

/Markus

Quick question, anywhere we can watch the videos online, like vimeo or somewhere, besides twitch. Are the videos going to be deleted off twitch soon since they were originally intended for backers only before being put on twitch somehow. Or you gonna re-edit them and sell it to HBO? (do it) :D

Hey, thanks Markus. Yes, we are planning on putting together a wrap-up episode when we're all back at Double Fine next month. We are still discussing exactly what shape that will take. I'm sure there will be plenty of announcements once we figure it out.

Levi Nicholson was way too scary, so I had to silly him up with some Penguin accoutrements.

Ha Ha!

"All work and no Beer make Levi Something, Something!...."

Ha Ha!

"All work and no Beer make Levi Something, Something!...."

Too sober! That's why he spends so much time [del]passed out drunk under his desk[/del] providing animation references.

Sign in to follow this